The Council
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I whined as a soft knock woke us both.

"Go away," I grunted loudly.

Leo's chest vibrated with small laughter as the door opened.

"I don't think she heard you."

"Did you not set your alarm this morning?" Morgan asked.

"No." We both replied.

"I'm not playing today," I added, pulling the covers up.

After a few moments, the door shut, and her footsteps receded down the steps.

"What time is it?" I grumbled.

"Half seven."

I groaned louder and rolled over.


I could finally breathe.

Looking out over the sea, seagulls and gentle waves. We had only been here half an hour, yet it was precisely what I needed.


Blackspit

This is not what she needed. Although her jaw ached, she continued to grind her teeth.

Killing the thing was going to be difficult. Blackspit took the symbol to Badb, one of the Morrigan. Their face looked like thunder and replied, "I will deal with this."

Cornelius still had his tail between his legs and was not responding to her calls. She finally had Lexi doubting herself and their relationship on the brink.

She watched them strolling. Pretending to be happy. She had one final trick up her sleeve.

She took the letter that mimicked Morgan's writing and her seal with 'Anabel and Carmilo' written on the front.

It was the only lifetime both of them lived.

She hoped it would be the final nail to separate them.

"Here. Give this to our friends."

With a small wave of her hand, the crow took the letter into its beak and glamoured it to look like a raven.

The messenger went on his merry way.


Nixon

He was forced to sit. His hands were bound to his feet with iron shackles and a heavy chain. The only light came from a small window with iron bars, and his connection to the outside world was the guards who would often walk up and down the hallway. He could hear them now, echoing against the stone walls.

Nixon definitely felt far from home.

He knew what he had done would come back to bite him eventually. He didn't think it would be this soon.

Why he ever listened to the old Witch, he never understood it himself, but the old Crone was persuasive.

He tried to shift into a more comfortable position, but the iron bit at his skin. It was red and raw, and he was covered in grime.

The footsteps stopped directly in front of his cage. Nixon's greasy head peeked up.

"Are you ready to start talking yet?" Came a tired voice.

It seemed Nixon wasn't the only one who didn't want to be here.

"I already told everything. I have nothing else to say."

The metal lock clinked, and the gate opened. Nixon was dragged from the centre of his stoned cage.

They unbound his hands from his feet, allowing him to walk with dignity.

They slung him before the court. All was silent. Deadly. For the first time in his life, Nixon looked nervous.

Five people stood before him. Each had equal weight and power in this court and represented a different species.

He stood before The Council.

The timer turned and placed upon him a truth spell: he could not withhold information. He could not lie.

"We will ask you once more, Nixon," asked the Wolf, "Who gave you the spell for the lock?"

Many spells were carefully controlled for the safety of witches and other people: Vitamortum and the lock being just a few examples.

"I already told you I can't remember her name. But she gave me many spells."

"And you met her in the astral?"

"Yes."

"We all know how tricky the astral can be…" mumbled the Fae.

"And yet you still used the spell she gave you," the Wolf continued.

"I didn't think I had a choice at the time," Nixon replied.

No one said anything. It was clear that Nixon was panicking. The words tumbled from his mouth unfiltered.

"A power like Lexis in the wrong hands, untrained hands, is dangerous. At first, I thought I was protecting her from the world, but then it became protecting her from herself."

"And what do you mean by that?" spoke the Fae.

"Her father came to me shortly after the rites, asking not to lift the lock but to make it stronger. He seemed a little disturbed…" Nixon looked down, remembering that night.

"And then I found out: Lexi's family had found a prophecy."

"A prophecy about?" the Fae urged.

Nixon sighed heavily, "You're probably already aware that she saved my daughter's life with Vitamortum. According to the prophecy, she was meant to die that day. He wanted to prevent that, but it still happened anyway."

"What do you mean by she was meant to die? You talk as if she is still alive." grumbled the Witch.

Nixon's eyes widened, "You don't know?"

Sharing a glance, the five stayed silent, Nixon continued, "She's still alive. Goddess knows how. I thought your detective would have already told you that."

The Council turned their back away from Nixon and started whispering amongst each other. Nixon could not hear nor decipher what they were talking about.

The pale Vampire turned to him, "How could she cast a spell with a lock?"

"This past year, the lock was reduced, allowing more access to her power. When they went to the Abbey, it was practically non-existent. However, it was broken during that spell and should have killed her. Both should have killed her."

The council members looked at one another. They had to talk to Lexi, but what do with Nixon?

The five of them looked at one another until the Human spoke.

"In America, many say a life for a life. How's about a spell for a spell?"

Nixon was taken aback at the words.

Slowly, A chorus of "I" was shared one by one.

"You know the drill," spoke the Witch.

"No, please-" "Shut up." The Witch's purple magic leapt forward, gluing his mouth shut.

"Let us begin." He held out his hands, facing Nixon. They gathered around in a circle, touching him, and the purple magic began to rise.

Nixon would get a taste of his own medicine.


Kieran

"Baby brother! It's so good to see you. I wish it were under better circumstances."

"You and me both, Isobelle. Now, where's my nephew?" Keiron looked around Isobelle, expecting to see Alex.

"Ah… He is moping around in his room. He has been clumsier than I expected and…" she paused, "He still hasn't undergone Enmagica."

"Isobelle, it might be time to tell him."

She sighed heavily, "I think it might be, but this may be the last straw that breaks the camel's back. I will wait until Lexi returns; I'll tell them both together."

"That's your choice, but I can stick around if things turn sour."

"I would appreciate the company if I'm honest. Things are much harder with Alex without little Lexi keeping me sane."

"A hormonal teenager hard? Who would have guessed?" Luke jested behind Keiron.


After a couple of hours, the guests were settled on the sofa with tea.

"You know Kieran, it's always good to see you, but to what do I owe the pleasure?" Isobelle teased.

Taking a deep breath, Keiron thought of where to start.

"I received a message from Lexi," he began.

"You did?" her voice nearly screeched from the pitch.

He nodded slowly, his face turned solemn, as he took out the letter, "I don't think she is safe."

Concern grew on the mother's face as she took the letter from his outstretched hand.

Her eyebrows furrowed more and more as she read it.

"This," he opened the other piece of paper with the black ink all over it, "Came with it, the image obscured beneath it. Someone doesn't want us to know about it. Someone got a hold of the letter before it got to me or…"

"Before it left Lexi," she whispered.

He nodded in agreement, "The Witch's name… Bristlecast. I think I have seen it before."

"Where?"

"Nick's book of shadows."

Isobelle gasped and leapt from her seat to the cupboard under the stairs. The Council didn't take everything. She moved the trunk under the alter and revealed three books by shifting some wooden flooring.

Flipping through the top one, she skimmed over the last pages, her whole body tense. She was on edge.

"Here."

She gently brushed a hand over the ink, "The name…"

She gave it to her brother standing before her. She still knelt on the floor and looked around, thinking about something.

"How can we warn her? I have no idea where she is!"

"Stay calm. We will figure something out. Plus, Lexi is smart… In the meantime, fancy helping with this?"

He removed the ruined paper again, "I think your mother-in-law was good at this sort of thing, right?"


Magnus

"Did you know she was alive?" the Witch asked him.

"I have not seen her with my eyes, but her coven confirmed it."

"And why did you withhold this information?"

Magnus paused, confused, "I sent Paul to tell you as soon as I spoke with her mother..."

A small sigh came over the receiver, "Alright. I will investigate it. Are you any closer to finding her?"

"No, sir."

"I think it's time to step it up. Put it in all the newspapers."

Magnus was quiet. They had tried to keep it under wraps and away from the public. The coven would protest. Both human and supernatural beings would know.

It would turn their lives upside down.

"Are you sure?" he eased, "Perhaps let's just stick to asking Supernaturals rather than the whole public. This family, this coven, they have lived in peace. To do this means they may be targeted again. They would have to leave their lives."

All was quiet on the other end.

Magnus continued, "There already have been rumours that the Vampire broke the treaty. We should target him, too."

"Hm, perhaps you are right. Leave it to me. Continue your investigation. If there is any lead on both, you follow it. Understood?"

"Crystal clear."

"...And Son?"

Magnus took a breath, "Yeah, Dad?"

"Well done."

Magnus had a slight smile on his face, "Thanks, Dad."

"See you soon."

The call ended abruptly.

Magnus knew he would get backlash, but he had to warn them.

1