Judge, Jury, and Executioner
63 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

DuVall put his gavel down and folded his hands.


“Mr. Midas, the case has started. Where is your defendant?”

 

“He should be here…” Midas looks down at his watch.

 

In the blink of an eye something zooms into the courtroom and takes a seat right next to Midas.

 

“...Right about now…” Midas finishes his sentence.

 

“Sorry for running late, your honor.” the speedster says to the judge as he opens up his briefcase.

 

This was a man with shaggy, shoulder length, dirty blonde hair that spiked up near the top, a light brown suit with feathers around the collar with wings embroidered onto the back of the jacket, light brown slacks, and a pair of sandals with wings on the sides of them.

 

“...And who might you be?” The judge says, looking intently at the man.

 

“My name is Miller Mercury and I will be Maximillian Midas’ defense attorney for this case”.

 

“...And why were you late?”

 

“Come on, your honor…” Miller shrugs. “You know how traffic is, right?”

 

“...Fine…I’ll allow it…but you better not be late again for the entirety of the rest of the trial…” DuVall leans over his desk and squints at Miller. “...Do I make myself clear?”

 

“...Crystal…” Miller says while rubbing the back of his neck.

 

“...Now then…” Judge DuVall picks up a sheet of paper in front of him and skims it over before putting it back down and folding his hands. “...For those who have never been in my courtroom before I would like to make a few things clear…There isn’t going to be a lawyer to hold the opposition to Mr. Mercury, because I will be doing that…nor will there be a jury…for in this court of law…I am the judge, the jury, and the executioner…So Mr. Mercury, the only person who you Miller have to convince in this room of Midas’ innocence…is me…”

 

“...That’s fine…I can work with that…” Mercury responds while wiping sweat from his forehead.

 

“...Of course I will still be calling witnesses to the stand…but sadly it appears that the court writer is out sick today…so I will be making an executive decision…”

 

He points over to the stands in which the students and other CHS heroes are sitting at.

 

“You there!”

 

He is pointing directly at Candi Kane.

 

“I appoint you as a replacement court writer. You will only have to do this until the actual court writer is well enough to come back to work. Is that alright with you?”

 

“ABSOLUTELY!” Candi yells, but then clears her throat and folds her hands. “...I mean…yes…I will be okay with that…”

 

Candi zips over to a laptop near the front of the courtroom, cracks her knuckles, and prepares to type.

 

“...With that predicament out of the way…” DuVall looks back towards Midas and Mercury. “...Does the defendant have any opening statements?”

 

Miller gets up and straightens his suit jacket before looking back at everyone sitting in the courtroom.

 

“...People of Central City…Maximillian Midas has been a tremendous boon to our city’s economy for as long as he has been in business here…His company, Midas Machine, has been making leaps and bounds forwards when it comes to technological advancements. There are so many different things that his company has developed. So many that I can almost guarantee that he has made something that has improved the lives of each and every single person in this here courtroom.”

 

Miller turns back towards Judge DuVall.

 

“...With all of that being said…why…would such a man jeopardize his entire career, nay, the good name of his entire company…just…for what? Murdering a man who had never wronged him…No, not just a man, but the greatest hero and greatest man to ever live in our wonderful city. I highly doubt that he would do such a thing. Why? Because there is no motivation for him to do so. He wouldn’t get any monetary gain from such a things, nor would the public be in favor of such actions…There isn’t a single reason in my mind as to why Mr. Midas would even fathom doing something such as what he is being accused of here today…and with that…I rest my case…”

 

Candi quickly typed down everything that Miller had just said.

 

“...Hmmm…That is quite the argument Mr. Mercury, but let’s see if it holds water against the claims of our eye witnesses…”

 

Judge DuVall points towards the gallery.

 

“...I call Isabella Quentin to the stand…”

 

Isabella tips her hat towards the judge and makes her way over to the podium.

 

“,,,Miss Quentin, you may speak…”

 

“...Okay, I am going to start by saying that almost none of what Mr. Mercury just stated was the truth.” She glares over at Miller. “First of all, almost all of us who bear witness to the events that transpired last Saturday can tell you as much. Also, almost all of his lackeys have already been arrested. It is true that Midas himself didn’t do much of the fighting, but he was absolutely the person who commanded his men to do so.”

 

Miller raised a finger to get the judge’s attention.

 

“...You may speak…”

 

“Such an accusation, Miss Quentin. We can all say whatever we like all day, but that alone doesn’t make it any more or less true. From what I can gather from your statement it seems like you didn’t actually see Midas give any orders to his subordinates. Who is to say one of them did this of their own accord right under Mr. Midas’ nose, because it is true that some of his men did attack and kill a few people, but where is the proof of his actual direct involvement because what you are saying right now is all assumed from hearsay…so…If I may ask, do you have any evidence of what you are saying right now?”

 

“Is evidence actually needed? If you ask me this is a pretty open and shut case. I am honestly surprised that this went to trial at all.”

 

“...So…I gather that is a no?”

 

“Judge, do you really believe what this man is telling you? Because I for one can see right through him. Actually, let me read his mind right now!” Isabella points her hand towards Miller before being interrupted by the judge.

 

“...Miss Quentin…No powers are allowed to be used in this courtroom. If you proceed I will find you in contempt of court…”

 

“...but…fine…” Isabella deflates. “...Technically speaking…I don’t have any actual direct evidence of what we are accusing Midas of doing…”

 

“...Miss Quentin…you are excused…” DuVall says as Isabella gets up and walks back towards the gallery with her shoulders slumped.

 

Miller sits back down, leans back in his chair, and puts his feet up on the desk in front of him with a smirk on his face.

 

“...Next…” DuVall announces with his deep, booming voice. “...I call Rick McMann to the stand…”

 

Rick marches over from the gallery, gives DuVall a salute, and stands behind the podium.

 

“...Mr. McMann…” DuVall says.

 

“...Yeah…” Rick says as he was about to light a cigar.

 

“...There is to be no smoking in my courtroom…”

 

“...Uh…Sorry, your honor…” Rick quickly stashes the cigar and lighter back into his pocket.

 

“...Now, you may speak…”

 

Rick nods and turns towards the others.

 

“Attention!” Rick announces into the microphone. “...Even though Miss IQ didn’t actually see any foul play from Midas with her own two eyes, I for sure did. Not just me though…” Rick gestures towards the gallery. “...Urchin, and all of the students from SUPER besides him can also tell you that everything that I am about to say is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth…The truth that I am speaking of is, in fact, evidence that Maximillian Maggot is guilty!”

 

“Your honor!” Miller quickly stands up and raises his hand.

 

“...Yes Mr. Mercury?”

 

“Mr. McMann just insulted my client which I personally find unacceptable behavior and is quite uncalled for.”

 

“...But…He is a maggot…and I refuse to withdraw my previous, hilarious, insult…I mean statement…” Rick says with his arms crossed while glaring towards Miller.

 

“Your honor! He insulted my client again! Is this the proper way to act in a court of law?”

 

“SILENCE!” DuVall yells as he slams his gavel against his desk. “...Mr. McMann…I will excuse your previous words if you apologize and promise not to do so again…”

 

“...Nope!” Rick looks away from the judge with his arms crossed.

 

“...Then step away from the stand…”

 

“...Freedom of speech my ass…” Rick grumbles to himself as he walks back towards the gallery.

 

“...Now then…” DuVall looks down at his papers again “...I call Lev Hart to the stand…”

 

Love felt a shiver crawl down her spine as her deadname was called. She knew that she might have had to speak during the trial, but she wasn’t aware that it would be so soon.

 

She does her best to calm her nerves, takes a deep breath, and approaches the podium.

2