Chapter – 16
164 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

------------

Chapter - 16: Forced Invitations...

-------------

"M-Me?" Sakura's eyes widened in shock as she stammered.

"I didn't make it a secret how special I think you are, did I?" Otakemaru's smile returned, and he gently stroked her cheek as though afraid of causing any harm. "Yes, I want you. What do you say? Stand beside me for the duration of the Grail War?"

"What?" Sakura wore a confused and disbelieving expression. She struggled to comprehend the unfolding situation, as if the world around her was shattering, and she could no longer recognize it.

Observing her need for some time to process his offer, Otakemaru decided to shift his attention to the other individuals present. It seemed the red-haired boy wanted to voice his opinion on the unfolding events.

"Get away from Sakura, Avenger!" Shirou demanded, summoning the willpower to release himself from Archer's grasp. His determination and courage were admirable, surpassing even some heroes of the past.

"Hmm?" Otakemaru's interest was piqued as he regarded the audacious human who dared to confront him despite being well aware of his overwhelming strength.

Under normal circumstances, most humans wouldn't have the courage to face him head-on. Their survival instincts were usually their only defense, as they lacked the power to match the might of a being like him.

Shirou, though clearly struggling to resist Otakemaru's overpowering presence, refused to yield. His unwavering gaze held an unmistakable determination to face such a formidable being.

"I won't give up... No matter how strong you may be, I won't let anyone get hurt. Not Sakura, not Rin. I'll protect them all, and become a hero of justice!"

The Oni King paused for a moment, a big and terrifying smile adorning his face as he listened to Shirou's passionate words and his unwavering commitment to his goal.

"These are the words of someone who hasn't tasted true despair... So, in this Holy Grail War, I'll show you what true despair looks like," Otakemaru declared, taking slow steps forward as a familiar three-headed dragon materialized behind him.

Shirou, clutching his neck, visibly struggled to breathe. He had to kneel to prevent himself from fainting under the overwhelming power of the Oni King.

Otakemaru couldn't help but feel a sense of disappointment. He had briefly thought he had found a being who could possibly stir his emotions, but it appeared to have been nothing more than a fleeting dream.

A hero...

The human before him was different in several ways. He had no desire to defeat Otakemaru; in fact, he seemed willing to sacrifice himself in order to protect those around him.

No, it was more accurate to say that Shirou was a being driven solely by the desire to help others for his own personal fulfillment, disregarding his own safety completely.

Otakemaru had been searching for a challenge that could truly test him, a diversion from the ceaseless torment of his past that haunted his thoughts day in and day out.

It was an unending longing, one without a foreseeable end, that dominated his dreams every night, until this world would let out its final breath and crumble into a pile of ashes.

He yearned to see her.

He yearned to touch her.

But most of all, he yearned to speak to her, to apologize for not being able to protect the one thing they both held most dear. He yearned for the chance to see her again...

Otakemaru shook his head, realizing that instead of a hero, he had found a martyr. Yet, it was better than nothing, and it might even turn out to be somewhat amusing.

Hearing this, Rin knew she had to call upon her most significant and only trump card to escape this situation without losing her life. "Archer!" she urgently called out.

Archer wasted no time, immediately assuming a fighting stance and preparing to project his favorite weapons.

A sudden chill ran down Archer's spine, causing him to freeze in place as he looked up at a portal that opened and the sword of fire made its appearance emitting a star-like heat.

"Stay right where you are. Don't even think about projecting any of your weapons... Because the moment you do, it will be your end," Otakemaru declared, his voice laced with undeniable authority, as he closed in on Shirou.

Archer grumbled but ultimately remained immobile, fully aware that any attempt to act would result in his demise. Though he considered using Rho Aias to protect himself, he knew that doing so would put the surrounding humans in grave danger.

Otakemaru paid no mind to Archer's dilemma and continued his advance. Just as he was about to reach Shirou and test his mettle, a petite girl with twin tails stood in his path.

"Don't move... Don't let him harm Shirou," Rin stammered, pointing a trembling spell at Otakemaru. Her voice wavered with fear, and her body shook like a leaf, realizing the vast difference in power between them.

Otakemaru extended his hand casually, and Rin could only watch in horror as it approached her. Her instincts screamed at her that death was imminent.

"Tohsaka!" the voices of those nearby cried out in desperation.

However, what everyone anticipated didn't come to pass. Rin could only let out a confused murmur as she felt a gentle tap on her head, followed by a soft caress that inexplicably put her at ease.

"You are a resilient child... It seems I've gained something from my visit," Otakemaru remarked, withdrawing his hand from Rin's head. His eyes shifted to Shirou, who stood behind Rin, struggling to move under the immense pressure.

"As for you, I'll have another opportunity to show you true despair..." Otakemaru's words hung in the air, but no one dared to respond. His overwhelming presence left them all too afraid to utter a word in defiance.

Yet, he had no interest in their reactions. "So, are you willing to stand by my side for the duration of the Holy Grail War?" Otakemaru inquired, turning his gaze towards Sakura, who appeared bewildered by the chaotic events unfolding before her.

Sakura observed her beloved Senpai for several moments, her mind filled with a flurry of thoughts. Eventually, she simply nodded in response. A smile formed on Otakemaru's face as he began to depart, sensing that there was nothing more of interest here. The little purple-haired girl followed closely behind him.

Otakemaru's final words hung in the air, sending a shiver down everyone's spine. "Oh, tomorrow night, be in front of the Ryuudou Temple. If you don't show up, it will kill you all," he warned ominously, while a small smile appeared on his face. Today was a good day.

With that, the oppressive atmosphere he had brought with him began to dissipate, allowing those present to finally breathe a little easier, no longer living under the constant threat of imminent death.

--------------

A/N: I hope you are enjoying the story!

If you have any suggestions or concerns you can ask as usual.

Tell me what you think of the story with lots of comments to let me know what you think and what you would like to see or even some improvements I could make.

--------------

11