4. The Big Project
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     New Toronto buzzed with life as Daisy made her way home, but her thoughts were a hurricane of ideas and aspirations to the point where she almost lost her balance while riding home. The contrast between her work at Mach-Tech and her rebellious salvage missions weighed heavily on her mind, fully aware of how immoral and illegal her conduct was. Yet she yearned for a future where technology wasn't solely seen as a potential threat, but as a tool for progress and unity. She was aware that what she was doing was dangerous but, she was taking steps to minimize the threat. While she had the benefit of not having to witness the horrors machines were capable of, it didn’t make her dreams naïve and shallow.

     Upon arriving home, she was once greeted by Scraps who was still sitting on his favorite spot on the couch. She honestly wondered if he ever moved from that spot since she left that morning. She looked over at his food bowl, and the fact it was empty answered the question for her.

     “Hey Scraps!” she called out.

     “Ah, the prodigal mechanic returns,” Scraps teased, stretching lazily.

     Daisy walked over and joined him on the couch, contemplating her day. As she did so, there was a sound coming from her bag which contained a handful of small, seemingly inconsequential parts and wires she had covertly collected while at work.

     “Daisy, what is that?” the cat inquired.

     “I had a productive day, Scraps.” Daisy said, patting her bag. “There's a lot of potential in these discarded robot parts.”

     “Now would that be potential for good or chaos?” Scraps inquired, as he sat back down.

     “For good, of course,” Daisy replied with conviction. “I've seen firsthand what technology can do. It's about how we use it and for what purpose.”

     Scraps arched an eyebrow, his voice tinged with worry. “Daisy, you know you're treading on thin ice with this. These parts are government property and taking them is against the law.”

     Daisy nodded, acknowledging the gravity of her actions. “I know, Scraps, but I can't help but feel that these parts could be put to better use. We have the technology and the know-how to create something extraordinary.”

     Scraps couldn't hide the unease in his eyes. “Extraordinary, perhaps, but you're playing with fire. The government is keeping these parts under strict control for a reason. They don't want another AI uprising.”

     Daisy ran her fingers through her hair, a conflicted expression on her face.

     “I get it, Scraps,” She replied, “But I can't stand idly by knowing what's possible. I want to build a robot—a companion that could be more than just a machine. One that could understand humans, learn from them, and adapt without the violent tendencies.”

     Scraps sighed, his tail flicking thoughtfully. “Your intentions are noble, Daisy, but you're still breaking the law. What if your creation goes awry? What if it's discovered that you're stealing government property?”

     Daisy's gaze grew distant as she imagined the possibilities. “I've taken precautions, Scraps. What I am building has safeguards to ensure it can't be used for harm.”

     Scraps didn't want to argue with her idealistic spirit, but he remained cautious. “Just promise me you'll tread carefully and ethically, Daisy. We're talking about a robot that could blur the line between machine and human, and that's a path full of ethical dilemmas."

     Daisy nodded, as her determination was undeterred.

     “I promise, Scraps.” She said, sounding resolute in her ways. “I'll be careful and ensure this creation doesn't pose any threat to anyone.”

     Scraps nodded thoughtfully. “Balance is key, my dear.”

     “That's what I believe,” Daisy agreed, scratching behind his ear. “What I’m doing here is a delicate dance between progress and restraint. Let’s get some food so I can get back to work.”

     “Sounds good to me,” Scraps replied, as he excitedly hopped off the couch. “I’m famished!”

     “You’re a cat,” Daisy reminded him, “You’re always hungry.”

     “Quite true,” Scraps said, looking up at her with big eyes. “But you still love me regardless of my gluttony.”

     “Guilty as charged,” Daisy said, as she strolled into the kitchen to prepare their food.

     After they finished eating, Daisy spend most of her evening working on her personal project, fusing together some of the salvaged parts that she had ‘burrowed’ from work. The pieces she had acquired that day were now part of a greater whole, a testament to her determination to one day prove that robots and humans could coexist in harmony.

     As the soft hum of her creations filled the room, and the apartment felt alive with the promise of innovation. Scraps observed her work with a hint of curiosity in his eyes.

     “So, what's your master plan with all these parts?” Scraps asked, feigning indifference.

     “I'm envisioning a prototype,” Daisy explained, her eyes sparkling with excitement. “A robotic companion that can assist humans, learn from them, and adapt to their needs without posing a threat to anyone.”

     “An ambitious endeavor,” Scraps remarked, washing his paw. “But easier said than done.”

     “I know it won't be easy,” Daisy admitted, “I’m still missing several vital parts, especially the head. Right now, it’s nothing more than a paper weight but I’m still a step closer to finishing this rad project.”

     “Just promise me you'll be careful,” Scraps said, his tone earnest. “Regardless of your intentions, the world can be a harsh judge. Especially with the war still fresh in many people’s minds.”

     Daisy smiled, appreciating the concern in her feline friend's eyes.

     “I promise, Scraps.” She said again, “I'll tread carefully; one circuit at a time.”

     As the night progressed, Daisy worked tirelessly on her project, refining and fine-tuning every detail. The robot companion was slowly taking shape, a manifestation of her vision. Scraps stayed by her side, offering the occasional purr of encouragement.

1