Chapter 2: The Blessing
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brand followed the chairman to his room.

"It's almost time for you to receive Tuillisant's Blessing, right?" the chairman asked.

Brand nodded.

"Are you going to take the Test right away, or would you rather wait a little longer until you're fully prepared?"

Chairman Effroy looked at him carefully.

"I have no intention of wasting time. As far as Tuillisant's Blessing is concerned, I've heard that every lost second reduces the potential of the power to be gained regardless of the Test."

Although Brand is currently only 14 years old, he actually had the mentality of a 34 year-old adult. Before he died, his Rank was an Adept. He was a powerful and respectable man. So he had a certain understanding of Tuillisant.

Chairman Effroy was taken aback. "Where did you hear that?"

"I overheard two adults talking in the market area down town." Brand made up a quick lie.

Chairman Effroy sighed and said. "While this is not confirmed information, it is widely accepted that the power potential of people who delay the Test for more than a few months is lowered."

"I will took the Test without waiting." Brand made his decision definitively.

The chairman nodded.

"And what do you intend to do after receiving the blessing?"

"I will follow the path necessary to become a Celestial Knight." Brand replied. He had not been able to pursue this dream before because Thorn had prevented it. But with this second chance given to him, there was no reason not to pursue that dream.

Celestial Knights were the protectors of human civilization. They were towering heroes who protected humanity from all kinds of dangers, including the terrifying creatures that plagued the world. They only took orders from the Elder Council, which governed six major regions.

Chairman Effroy smiled broadly when he heard his answer. Like most kids, he thought his goal was pretty high. Although his smile was not a malicious one, he was clearly sure that this dream would not come true.

It wasn't because he was belittling the boy in front of him or anything of that sort.

If the world were a just place, his opinion would be completely different, but it isn't. Children with strong families were always more advantageous than poor or homeless children because of the support they had behind them.

Before Tuillisant gave power on people, it tested their will, emotions, and ambitions. There was always a difference between the child of a strong family who had received special mental training since childhood and the child with low self-confidence who grew up on the streets.

Of course, this was the least disadvantageous comparison that could be made. There would be many children who grew up on the streets but managed to train their minds in the right direction, but for the future, this comparison would never be so easy for poor children. While the children of a strong family could quickly access the myriad resources to develop their power, poor children would probably not even dream of those resources.

Even though there were people who came from the bottom and rose to the highest ranks, they were statistically very few.

"You know, once you receive Tuillisant's Blessing, unfortunately, you won't be able to stay here any longer. A very old friend of mine has a clan he leads, I can recommend you to him." He clasped his hands together and leaned against his desk as the chairman's expression turned serious. The orphanages were for orphans who had not received Tuillisant's Blessing. When a child who had received the blessing left the orphanage, another child was taken in his place.

The loop was like this.

"I know, sir. I've already planned my own path. If my plans don't go my way, I will certainly consider your offer of help." Brand politely declined the offer.

"Since you've already determined the path you want to follow, then it's up to me to respect that." the chariman let out a sigh of relief when he heard his words.

After chatting with him some more, Brand left the room. While he was walking around with countless thoughts in his head, he helped a few childhood friends who needed help with their daily tasks. Even though he was actually an adult and had a certain understanding of the world, he couldn't care less about this orphanage, but the time he spent there felt like a relaxing meditation.

In the evening, he went to room 23 in the dormitory, which was the room he was staying in with Ather. It was exactly as he remembered it in his old memories.

As he lay on his bed, he began to think about Tuillisant's Blessing. During the Test, his will, fears, and ambitions would be put to the trial.

Even though he was back to his 14-year-old self, he wasn't the same person he used to be. He had seen so much and experienced so much pain until the day he died. He knew that what he would face during the Test and the outcome he would get would be completely different from before.

*Creak* With a shrill sound, the wooden door opened, and Ather entered. He walked quickly, without even changing his clothes, and fell on his bed.

"I'm completely exhausted." Ather's voice came out hoarse as his face sank into the pillow.

Brand smiled.

"A few hours until you receive the Blessing, right?" Ather suddenly straightened up and asked.

Brand nodded and said, "I'll take the Test tomarrow."

"I still have to wait more than 3 months." Ather sighed. "I wonder what kind of power I will get."

"Are you still determined on the path you will follow in the future?" Brand asked even though he knew the answer.

"Of course! I will learn the mystery behind Tuillisant at any cost." Ather grinned excitedly.

"Do you think Tuillisant would allow that?" asked Brand.

"Hm? What do you mean?" Ather looked at Brand in surprise.

"What will you do if Tuillisant doesn't want you to know about it?" Brand got up from his bed and stared at him with serious eyes.

He knew what fate his best friend would face. His relentless curiosity about Tuillisant would get him into trouble, and he would be killed eventually.

Of course, Brand was definitely not going to let that happen this time. Somehow he would find a way to dissuade Ather from this ridiculous desire.

Ather's expression became distracted, and he shifted uncomfortably in place.

He asked after a moment of silence. "Do you think Tuillisant is some kind of living thing?"

"More than a living thing. Remember, we're talking about the only power that can give humans various powers and rule the world in an orderly manner. It wouldn't even be wrong to call it the God of this world." Brand walked to him and put his hand on his shoulder, "I think trying to learn the mysteries of a god is a waste of time."

"A god? Tuillisant is not a god!" Ather stood up. "There is nothing it has created."

"Tuillisant created the demi-humans." said Brand.

Ather shook his head and said, "No, it just kind of mutated them. Nothing it created of its own will."

Brand stared at the boy in surprise for a while. He had clearly tried to dissuade him, but failed. There was no way a 14-year-old could have learned these things on his own.

"Where did you hear all this?"

"I-I just heard a passing couple talking about it." Ather clumsily concocted a lie.

Someone must have put all this in his head!

"Who? Who could have set him up against Tuillisant? How could I not understand that my best friend was being manipulated by someone?"

Brand's expression dulled as he tried to find answers to the questions in his mind. It seems that he did not understand his best friend as well as he had expected.

Ather knew he wanted to be a Celestial Knight. This is probably why he never told him about the people who manipulated him.

"What's bothering you today?" Ather asked an irrelevant question to change the subject.

"It is not important." Brand shook his head. "I want to get some sleep. I'm going to take the Test soon. I need to be ready."

"You're right! You'd better rest well." Ather nodded.

Although Brand closed his eyes, he didn't actually sleep. He focused on remembering what happened in the past.

Ather had joined an illegal group, hoping to learn about the Tuillisant's origin. After raiding a ruin directly under the protection of the Elder Council, they were defeated by the Celestial Knights.

The heads of all captured criminals were put on spears and displayed in front of the ruins, including Ather's.

This time he would definitely stop him from doing such a stupid thing.

At dawn, after a sleepless night, Brand left his room and went straight to the chairman.

He knocked on his door before entering his room.

"Come!"

When Brand entered, he saw him brewing tea.

"Would you like some tea? It will ease your nervousness a bit."

Chariman Effroy pointed for him to sit on the seat next to his desk.

Brand shook his head. "Thank you sir; I'm not too nervous."

"Is that so? That's good! Good..." he looked a little surprised.

"I need a quiet place where I won't be disturbed. Could you arrange a place like that for me, sir?" Brand wanted silence so that he could prepare his mind comfortably for the Test. Although he had anticipated what he was about to encounter, he wanted to make sure his mind was perfectly calm.

"Actually, it's okay if you use my room. I'll make sure no one bothers you until your test is over." said the chairman.

"Thank you sir." Brand smiled slightly.

0