Chapter 11: Heart of Darkness
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A view of the sunset could be seen on the horizon as the silver lines that had been dancing in the unending vacuum vanished. As the sun's final rays touched the vast sands and dunes, the sky gradually started to take on the colors of night.

Turning his head, Brand noticed he was getting close to the pyramid. He was, as he had predicted, next to the same red ray.

He gritted his teeth and stood up, clutching the altar. Unable to resist the terrifying pain that pierced his entire body, he let out a groan.

He didn't know what kept him going.

He clearly felt that his willpower was completely exhausted.

So what kept him going?

Was it ambition or desire?

Brand's expression was incomprehensible as he stared at the massive pyramid ahead. His knees were shaking abnormally, and the sand floor wasn't helping him at all.

It had been a long time since the sun had set by the time he reached the front of the stone gate of the pyramid.

First, he placed the staff in the carving of the stone door made for it. The majestic door trembled deeply, and some symbols on it began to emit a white light. Then, when he placed the diamond in the carving made for it, all the symbols on the stone door began to shine.

*DONG!* A rumbling sounded from the depths.

The stone door began to open slowly. The golden light that was starting to seep in from inside was so bright that it forced him to close his eyes. Beams of golden light emanating from within enveloped him and began to pull him inward.

At this stage, he had no chance of resisting. In fact, he had no intention of resisting. He was in a completely exhausted state, and he was aware that there was nothing he could do now, whatever was going to happen.

As he slowly floated through the air, he felt his entire body begin to relax for the first time in a long time. He was unable to perceive even his own thoughts as he floated freely in the beam of golden light.

"How pathetic! Look at you..."

Brand shuddered at the sudden voice, and his eyes widened.

He heard the voice he hated the most to hear again.

With a dark expression on his face and a grim look in his eyes, he turned in the direction of the voice.

He just stood there. His dark eyes, which did not show any emotion, were looking directly at him. His lips curled upward in a mocking and contemptuous way.

"Thorn…" Brand hissed angrily.

The surrounding golden beams of light had vanished, giving way to a dim light that only illuminated Thorn enough to make him visible.

"You think you're not as weak as you used to be, Brand?" Thorn lowered his head.

Brand didn't say anything. He continued to stare at him with his stern eyes.

"Do you want to prove to me that you're not as weak as you used to be?" Thorn's smile widened, and he walked slowly towards him. Then he placed a dagger in front of him.

Brand looked confusedly at the dagger, then his gaze turned toward him.

Thorn pointed to the side without breaking eye contact with him.

Brand followed the direction his hand was pointing and saw someone lying on the bed. When his gaze came to this person's face, his heart was suddenly pierced by tens of thousands of daggers.

His eyes widened as he stared at the porcelain mask encrusted with tiny diamonds on the person lying on the bed. In that moment, he forgot where he was, what he was doing, what he was thinking, and how he felt.

He found himself in a dream.

He was on a large balcony with a full view of a breathtaking city from above. In the middle of the balcony stood an elegant female figure. She was dressed in a white dress that revealed her smooth, jade-like back. Her golden blonde hair fluttered in the gentle breeze.

She slowly turned around and looked directly at him.

She had an oval face that radiated softness and balance. Her thin eyebrows were shaped with precision, framing her eyes like delicate arches. Her nose was small and proportionate, as if it were specially created for her face. Her lips were thin and cherry in color, giving her a sweet and delicate smile. But the most striking feature of her face were her eyes. They were so deep blue and vibrant that they made the sea jealous.

Brand felt his spirit drain as he looked into her eyes. He felt as if he were standing on a thin layer of ice.

It was as if, at any moment, he would fall into an endless void.

"As I guessed... well, pathetic!"

Thorn's voice echoed and destroyed his dream.

He retrieved the dagger he had placed before him as he continued to direct his disdainful glances at Brand. Slowly, he walked over to the masked person and raised his dagger.

"Stop!"

Not caring for a moment about his pain and fatigue, Brand rose from the ground and looked directly into his eyes. Then he started walking towards him with hard steps.

"Oh? What are you going to do, Brand? Kick my ass?"

Thorn's grin widened.

When Brand got in front of him, he stopped and gave him a sharp look. He then took the dagger from his hand and thrust it into the masked figure's chest.

Thorn's grin faded as he observed Brand.

Brand collapsed to the ground as the hand holding the dagger trembled.

*DONG!* *DONG!* *DONG!*

With the rumble that shook the whole place, his vision went completely dark.

When Brand opened his eyes after an unknown amount of time, a familiar environment greeted him.

He was in the chairman's room.

He looked around dumbly for a while until he could clear his mind. Although it seemed like years to him, in reality it must have been only a few hours.

When his thoughts finally settled, he touched Vilatrix on his arm.

A screen projection appeared in the air.

[ATTENTION!]

[Testing is over! You have received Tuillisant's Blessing!]

[You have received a Power Badge!]

[View It?]

[YES.] [NO.]

"YES." he selected.

[Power Badge: Heart of Darkness.]

[PowerType: Space]

[Power Class: SS]

[Heart of Darkness: A ghost left over from a glorious power from the past. The source of its own light has now turned into the destroyer of its own light. Nothing can get rid of it, not even itself!]

[Power Badge: Heart of Darkness makes it possible for you to rule four different Arts. Do you want to see them?]

[YES.] [NO.]

Brand's eyes began to twitch as he stared at the screen. He closed his eyes and looked again.

Nothing has changed.

He slapped himself hard and looked back at the screen.

It remained the same.

"H-Have I got an SS-Class Power Badge!?" Brand stood up, unsure of what to do with his excitement. As his heart was beating madly, he felt that the energy that had accumulated in him was going to explode.

After wandering around the room in a lost state, he finally calmed down a bit and wanted to see the Arts that his blessing had given him.

"YES." Brand chose.

[Primary Art: Event Line - Master this power to create void arcs! The size and damage of the arcs you create can vary depending on your mastery of the Art and your capability of control. The amount of Origin Energy this Art consumes will vary depending on the size of the arc and the power density it contains!]

[Secondary Art: Gravitational Fluctuation - Master this power to break the gravity in a particular area! You can increase or decrease the gravity in the area you specify. The rate of Origin Energy consumption will vary depending on the size of this area, the intensity of the gravity disturbance you created, and the amount of time you actively use the Art!]

[Tertiary Art: Attraction Point - Master this Art to pull everything in a particular area in one point! The Origin Energy consumption of this Art will vary depending on the area of influence and gravity intensity to be determined!]

[Sacred Art: Antigravity- For each Art used, the gravity applied to your body will be reduced by 10%. This Art has no set duration and does not consume Origin Energy.]

[ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Sacred Art is exclusive to SS-Class Power Badges.]

After reading the descriptions of the Arts, he sat quietly in the seat next to him. His hands and feet were trembling with extreme excitement. He had to force himself to put his thoughts in a certain order.

"I know very well that the power difference between classes is decisive. But an SS-Class is in a completely different league than any other class. In my previous life, I've never even seen or heard of anyone holding even an S- Class Power Badge."

His expression changed frequently as he continued to stare at the screen in front of him.

When he thought about his future, he could foresee some difficult situations to overcome. Great power required great responsibility; sooner or later his power would be noticed by various major clans and organizations.

Powerful clans and organizations have always struggled to make themselves stronger. When any factor that broke the balance appeared, they would try to have control over it.

If they could not have control over this factor, they would want to destroy it so that other powers could not use it.

If he was too prominent in the future, he could find himself in the middle of a war between the great powers, and if he wasn't powerful enough, he would be crushed like an ant in this war.

0