Chapter 8 – Moveset
185 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Noah sank into one of the plush armchairs scattered throughout the Pokemon Center, a sigh of relief escaped his lips, finally enjoying the respite of high-quality cushioning after days away from civilization.

 

He held a sleek, obsidian black box in his hands, adorned with an iconic Pokeball insignia embossed on the front cover. The texture of the box was silken, almost caressing his fingers as he held it.

 

Upon unboxing, he pulled out a ruby-red electronic device that was folded in a clamshell design. It was none other than a Pokedex, specifically the original version hailing from the Kanto region.

 

Inside the box, an accompanying instruction manual illustrated the Pokedex’s multiple functionalities. Noah stroked his chin thoughtfully as he skimmed through the control section. Surprisingly, the device was incredibly user-friendly.

 

Its features were straightforward but effective; it could automatically catalog data from any Pokemon you encountered, regardless of whether the Pokedex was in your pocket or held in your hand.

 

The device would meticulously analyze and document the moves that Pokémon perform. For instance, when a Pidgey uses Quick Attack, the Pokedex would observe and compile data until it ascertains enough information to log it under Pidgey’s profile.

 

It even had the capability of individualizing records for each Pokemon.

 

Creating profiles for individual Pokemon was also an option, but aside from that, the Pokedex managed all other tasks autonomously. It was a technological marvel.

 

It was really a technological feat.

 

The intercom buzzed to life, “Ding! Number 4206, please make your way to the Collection counter.” A dulcet female voice filled the air.

 

“Guess that’s me,” Noah sprang up, reinvigorated.

 

Navigating through the bustling throng of people, he arrived at the collection counter. A large, digital display read “4206,” and waiting for him was a raven-haired clerk. “Your card, please,” she instructed, with a monotone voice.

 

Noah rummaged through his pockets and handed her the card. She briefly inspected it, then clicked something on her computer.

 

“I thought everyone working here was supposed to be Nurse Joy?” Noah couldn’t help but question.

 

The girl looked at him as though he was an idiot, “No? The Nurse Joys handle requests and occasionally assist with healing. Most of us are regular staff,” she clarified, somewhat disdainfully.

 

“My bad, I guess,” Noah grimaced at the icy reception.

 

Ignoring his response, the clerk activated a futuristic, concave platform. Within a split second, a Pokeball materialized.

 

Picking up the Pokeball, she glanced at her screen, “Your Riolu has the Prankster ability… Riolu? What even is that?”

 

Not paying her any mind, Noah internally cheered upon learning Riolu’s ability.

 

“Hey, HEY!” The girl shouted at Noah, who promptly snapped his back to her.

“Yea?”

 

“You want your Pokemon or not?” She put her arm on the counter, extending her hand to him.

 

“Oh, yeah, sorry,” Snatching the Pokeball out of her hand, he made a swift retreat into the crowd, eager to exit the Pokemon Center and finally answer one of the biggest questions on his mind these few days — What were Riolu’s moves?

 

 

———

 

 

As she watched the bumbling mess of a trainer vanish into the sea of people, she exhaled deeply. “If even that guy can be a trainer, why can’t I?” she grumbled, pressing a button to summon the next client.

 

“Aw, don’t be too discouraged, Nishi, your dad can’t say no forever!” Her colleague from a neighboring counter piped up.

 

“Easy for you to say, Keiko, you don’t understand how stubborn my dad is,” Nishi retorted.

 

“ ‘I’m the ripe age of 16, Dad, I need to get out there and explore the world!’ is what you should say,” Keiko laughed.

 

“Very funny, Keiko,” Nishi said with a blank gaze.

 

“Come on Nishi, you’ve got to stand up for yourself sometimes!” Keiko said, peeping around the layer that separated them.

 

“Maybe he’ll even say yes this time, after all, it is your 16th birthday soon,” Keiko pointed out.

 

“Yea, and you said the exact same words last year when it was my 15th birthday,” Nishi retorted, “And guess what, he gave the same response as every other year.”

 

Keiko opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by Nishi.

 

“My client’s here, I need to get back to work.” She said, clicking on her computer a few times to bring up their request.

 

 

———

 

 

Noah quickly exited, but made a U-turn back into the Pokemon Center upon remembering the complimentary training arena.

 

The duo entered the cavernous space, amazed at the sea of Pokemon engaged in battles and training drills. Sections of the arena were partitioned for various activities.

 

Selecting an unoccupied area, Noah unfurled his brand-new Pokedex. As he toggled through its interface, he finally located the ‘Party’ tab.

 

He then proceeded to register Riolu’s data, muttering the manual’s instructions to himself as he worked through the process.

 

“I think I’ve got it, Riolu, try using some moves and let’s see how this baby works,” With an enthusiastic “Ruff!”, the two got to work.

 

“Riolu, attack that sandbag!” Noah ordered. With an enthusiastic “Ruff!” Riolu instantly appeared next to the sandbag and unleashed a barrage of punches that made it swing wildly. His fists glowed a steely white as he attacked.

 

The Pokedex beeped, signaling that it had identified a move.

 

“Let’s see,” Noah glanced at the Pokedex.

 

Riolu

Level: ???
Abilities: Prankster
Gender: Male
Moves: Bullet Punch
 

 

“Wait, Bullet Punch!?” Noah was shocked, not once had he read anywhere that Riolu could learn bullet punch, “How?”

 

“It couldn’t have been by level up, so maybe an Egg move?” Noah pondered, still unsure on how Riolu had learned Bullet Punch, “Yea, probably, he was able to use it soon after he hatched, after all.”

 

Before long, Noah had recorded every move that Riolu knew and, to his surprise, was quite an extensive list.

 

Riolu

Level: 9
Abilities: Prankster
Gender: Male
Moves: Bullet Punch, Cross Chop, Detect, Endure, Feint, Howl, Metal Claw
 

 

“Holy shit, Riolu, you’re stacked,” Noah exclaimed, to which Riolu puffed out his chest, as if to say “Of course I am.”

 

High-fiving his feisty little partner, they both exited the Pokemon Center. This would mark a new chapter in their journey.

 

 

4 chapters in one day, I'm never doing that again

 

I've set up a patreon if anybody wants to read ahead: patreon.com/Takaie

Join if you have any suggestions, I'll have a post where everybody can give their suggestions

11