Chapter 11 – Nishi
228 15 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Should I allow people to vote on and decide what Pokemon Noah catches?
  • Yes Votes: 9 25.0%
  • No Votes: 9 25.0%
  • The winner of the vote will appear in the story, but it's up to me whether he catches it. Votes: 18 50.0%
Total voters: 36 · This poll was closed on Oct 31, 2023 12:47 PM.

“Ugh,” Noah groaned as his eyes flickered open, slowly adjusting to the sterile brightness around him.

 

He quickly scanned his immediate environment; he found himself in a room bathed in pristine white, interrupted only by sleek panels of windows on his left, which were filtering in soft sunlight.

 

Adorned in a somewhat stiff white hospital gown, he discovered that he was connected to an elaborate machine.

 

A series of tubes and wires snaked around him, and an array of medical contraptions beeped intermittently, each beep resonating through the silence like a cryptic message.

 

“Ah, I remember,” Noah mumbled to himself as fragmented memories started piecing themselves together in his mind.

 

Suddenly, a joyful “RUFF!” erupted from the periphery of his vision. Riolu darted into sight, practically hurling himself into Noah’s arms.

 

“Easy there, buddy,” Noah cautioned, wearing a weak but genuine smile. “I’m injured.”

 

Tears glistened in Riolu’s eyes as if reflecting pools of pure emotion. The Pokemon clung to him in an unyielding embrace, as if fearful that letting go would mean losing his human companion forever.

 

“Ha…”Noah sighed, his gaze shifting upward to the monochrome ceiling.

 

“Why did I do that?”Noah contemplated, he pondered whether his impulse to save the stranger had been a mere spur-of-the-moment action or if there was some deeper reason driving him.

 

“I hope she’s alright,” his thoughts meandered, his eyes still focused on the ceiling while the echo of Riolu’s sniffles filled the intervening silences.

 

The door creaked open abruptly, breaking his chain of thoughts. A nurse walked in, her eyes meeting his almost immediately.

 

“I see you’re conscious,” she began professionally. “Any discomfort or pain?”

 

Noah flexed his fingers, rotated his wrists, and scanned his torso. “No, nothing that I can pinpoint,” he replied, slightly surprised by his own resilience.

 

“That’s reassuring, but you’ll need to stay put for a bit longer to rule out any potential complications,” the nurse advised before turning to leave the room.

 

“Hold on a second,” Noah called out, elevating his voice just enough to catch her attention.

 

She turned back, a hint of curiosity in her eyes. “Yes? What is it?”

 

“What happened to that girl I saved?” Noah continued, “The one with long black hair.”

 

“You’re referring to Nishi, correct?” The nurse responded.

 

“She’s fine. Woke up even before you did and should be discharged later today.”

 

Relief washed over Noah like a gentle wave. So she’s safe, he thought, breathing a bit easier.

 

The nurse exchanged a few more formalities concerning Noah’s condition before offering a brief bow and exiting the room, leaving Noah and Riolu to their own devices.

 

Noah reclined against the hospital bed’s plush pillows, his fingers instinctively finding their way to Riolu’s fur, now matted from tears.

 

“What should I do now…?” He muttered as his hands caressed Riolu’s head. “Do I continue with my original plan and travel to Pewter City as soon as they discharge me?”

 

“And how am I going to pay for this?” He glanced at the various expensive-looking equipment connected to him.

 

He sighed audibly, a blend of regret and realization settling in. Maybe acting on impulse wasn’t the wisest choice, after all.

 

After sharing a moment of quiet contemplation with Riolu, his eyelids grew heavy, and he slipped into a deep slumber.

 

 

 

“Sir, you have a visitor,” the nurse announced softly, nudging Noah back to consciousness. “It’s Nishi.”

 

Noah squinted, racking his brain for a moment. Ah, right. The girl I rescued.

 

“Please let her in,” he said, readjusting himself into a more upright position.

 

The door swung open once again, revealing a girl with long, jet-black hair that cascaded down her back like a waterfall.

 

Her eyes, a striking sea-green, seemed to ebb and flow with a myriad of conflicting emotions. An awkward silence descended, almost tangible, as their gazes locked.

 

“Thank you,” Nishi stammered, shattering the stillness.

 

“You’re welcome?” Noah responded, his voice tinged with confusion. “So, what do you need?”

 

“I-” Her eyes shifted downwards, a lump forming in her throat. “I just came to say thanks.”

 

“Is that so?” Noah probed gently.

 

“Yes,” Tears began to well in her eyes, “Thank you.”

 

“Here, take a seat,” Noah offered, gesturing to a vacant chair beside his bed.

 

It was Riolu’s usual perch, but the Pokemon had since retreated to a corner, sensing the gravity of the moment.

 

Nishi hesitated but eventually took slow, almost reluctant steps toward the chair. She sank into it, and the room fell silent once more.

 

“I… thank you,” The girl found it hard to breathe, “for saving me.”

 

Noah decided not to reply as he watched the girl fumble with her words.

 

“M-my friends, they’re all dead,” She began, her voice tinged with tremors, “and my dad… he was one of the security guards.”

 

Oh no. Noah felt a sinking feeling in his gut. He could already sense where this was headed.

 

“Well *sniff* he ‘was’,” she choked on her words, “but he’s gone now.”

 

Noah stared at the sobbing girl with conflicted emotions. What do I do? I’ve never been good with relationships. 

 

Carefully, he reached his hand out, intending to pat her on the back in the hopes of consoling her.

 

To his surprise, she instead grabbed his hand and began crying into it.

 

The two sat there, locked in a moment of shared grief and complex emotions, no further words needed.

 

 

 

 

“Thank you,” her voice quivered, “for hearing me out.”

 

As she lowered Noah’s hand back to his side, her own hands trembling as they moved to her lap, she looked visibly drained.

 

Her eyes were swollen, rimmed with red, and she bit her lip to prevent another onslaught of tears.

 

“No problem,”Noah replied, as silence descended upon the room.

 

“You dad…how was he?” Noah ventured cautiously, unsure of what else to say.

 

“My dad…” she stammered, struggling with each word, “He- he was a *sniff* a great man.”

 

“He alwa- *sniff* -ys wanted the best for me,” she continued, her fingernails digging into her thighs, “He just *sniff* wanted me to stay safe.”

 

Her voice broke, and another torrent of tears followed. “He was the best dad I could ever ask for.”

 

Leaning forward, she wrapped her arms around Noah in a tight, soul-baring hug. “I’m so sorry, Dad,” she wailed into his chest.

 

“I was a bad daughter, please don’t go.” She cried, her voice muffled by his hospital gown.

 

“Please… don’t… go…” She muttered between sobs.

 

Her sobs gradually subsided, yet her grip remained as firm as ever.

 

Minutes rolled by in silence. Noah looked down at the emotionally spent girl, her eyes now closed but tears continuing their unending flow.

 

“Did she fall asleep?” He muttered, studying her face, marked by grief yet captivating in its vulnerability.

 

He felt a pang of pity coupled with an overwhelming sense of empathy. While it wasn’t his burden to bear, he couldn’t escape the innate human desire to offer some form of solace.

 

But at the moment, he had no idea how to deal with the situation.

 

 

This is the first time I've written an 'emotional scene' and romance in general, so I hope you'll cut me some slack if it isn't up to par.

 

Art of Nishi is on the patreon(free): patreon.com/Takaie

 

Also, Growlithe seems to be the most favoured Pokemon to be Noah's second Pokemon right now, if nothing changes, I'll finalize 2 chapters after this.

9