2 – Duncan Linrad
346 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marks eyes slowly fluttered open, the sensation of awakening from a deep slumber overtaking him. His head still felt a little groggy, and he could hear a low ringing noise in his ears. He groaned softly, trying to regain his bearings, but something was off—profoundly so.

The room he found himself in was unlike any hospital he'd ever seen. It was a blend of advanced technology and ancient mysticism. The walls shimmered with holographic displays, while ethereal runes danced across them. It was a fusion of sci-fi and fantasy, right out of "Bastion of Humanity."

He attempted to sit up, feeling strangely energized and vital, before examining his hands. They looked different, more rugged, as if they'd known a lifetime of labor. Panic settled into his heart. Had he fallen into a coma and awakened in the future? How long had he been asleep? Would his family even remember him?

Before he could dissect these thoughts further, a nurse clad in a combination of futuristic medical attire and armor swept into the room. She wore an expression that was both professional and deeply concerned.

"Ah, you're awake," she said with a gentle smile. "You gave us quite a scare there, Duncan."

Duncan? Who was Duncan? He tried to protest, to say that his name was Mark, but no words formed. Confusion clouded his thoughts. The nurse continued, oblivious to his internal turmoil.

"Duncan, please, try not to move too suddenly," the nurse urged as she adjusted a device on her wrist, the screen displaying various readings that meant nothing to Mark. Her words were gentle but laced with a sense of urgency.

Duncan. The name continued to echo within his foggy consciousness like an unfamiliar melody. He needed answers, explanations for the impossible circumstances he found himself in, but his voice refused to cooperate. The room's surroundings drew his attention. Advanced medical equipment coexisted with shimmering crystals embedded in the walls. The bed he lay on was a marvel of both machinery and arcane symbols etched into the headrest. This was not the world he had fallen asleep in. The lines between reality and the novel he'd been reading blurred further, making it impossible to distinguish one from the other.
"All your vital signs seem stable," the nurse continued, as he quietly observed her. The nurse's kind expression didn't waver as she leaned in, her eyes filled with both sympathy and curiosity. "It's perfectly normal to feel disoriented."

The nurse's words offered little comfort to the tempest of thoughts swirling within his head. This wasn't mere disorientation; it was like being thrust into an entirely different universe. Everything around him was foreign, and he couldn't even trust his own name.
As his gaze shifted around the room, he spotted a nearby window. Beyond the transparent surface, an unfamiliar cityscape sprawled, a mesmerizing blend of futuristic skyscrapers and towering, mystical spires. Hovering vehicles flitted through the air, while ethereal creatures soared on wings of shimmering light. The world outside was as much a contradiction as the room he occupied.

Marks thoughts raced as he attempted to piece together what had happened. This had to be a dream, a fevered hallucination brought on by some mysterious illness. The events in his life leading up to this point played through Marks mind like a disjointed movie reel, but he couldn't fathom any logical explanation for his current circumstances.

A deep sigh escaped his lips as he contemplated the scene before him. There was no point in denying it, this was the world of the novel he had read. This was the world of Bastion of Humanity. As he began to accept the surreal reality unfolding before him, his racing thoughts began to settle.
Yet the persistent, high-pitched ringing in his ears refused to relent, like an unwelcome guest overstaying its welcome. He desperately pressed his hands against his ears, hoping to silence the relentless buzzing, but it remained maddeningly persistent.

The inquisitive nurse, noting his strange behavior, inquired, "Is something the matter? Please check your status for anything unusual."
Ah, yes, my status Mark recalled. In the world of Bastion of Humanity, common to online novels and LitRPGs, everyone possessed a status screen that displayed their basic attributes and unique traits. To be honest it was a pretty lazy trope.

What set this novel apart however, was the technology. In this alternate world, humanity had faced off against invading demons in the early 60's, initially using conventional weaponry like nuclear warheads and gunfire with relative success. But as more formidable demons emerged, the need for rapid adaptation became evident. The introduction of mana saw rapid advancements in technology and the appearance of elves and other mythical creatures had transformed the world. It was now the year 2060, and technology was far more advanced then it once was.

The world of Bastion of Humanity was a blend of sci-fi, with fantasy elements. Mark secretly hoped for an extraordinary transmigrator perk as he muttered "Status" under his breath, feeling slightly embarrassed to be saying it out loud.

===Status===

Name: Duncan Linrad

Rank : G

Strength : G-

Agility : G

Dexterity : G+

Stamina : G-

Intelligence : G

Mana Capacity : G-

Charm : F-

--> Affliction :

[Tinnitus]

--> Profession :

[Unconventional Weaponmaster Lv. 1]

--> Skills :

[(E-) Rank: Photographic Memory]

============

As he read over his status, overwhelming disappointment washed over him. "Tinnitus" was not what he had envisioned when imagining the perks of a transmigrator. What cruel cosmic joke was this, to transport him into a fantastical realm and saddle him with such a condition?

Drawing in a steadying breath, he pushed aside his initial frustration. It wasn't the time to lament the terrible hand he had been dealt. Instead, he decided to focus on his newfound profession, [Unconventional Weaponmaster]. In Bastion of Humanity, everyone possessed a profession at birth that influenced their abilities, though it didn't strictly dictate their weapon choice. However, mastering a profession was often key to survival.

For example, the main character, Ryan, was bestowed with the [Swordsmanship] profession, which he later evolved into the unique [Magic Swordsman] profession using a system. Originality was hardly the author's strong suit.

[Unconventional Weaponmaster] was one of the less explored professions in the novel, but Mark could recall a side villain who employed it along with poison gas bombs to wreak havoc near the story's end. If he could wield it creatively, it might not be such a bad choice.

[Skills], on the other hand, were an extravagance that very few possessed by birth. Duncan was fortunate to have [Photographic Memory]—a rare, E- Rank gift. Generally, skills were exorbitantly expensive as people had to purchase skill books in order to acquire them. This is precisely what made them so rare, yet so coveted, you could learn a skill instantly. Though, even the wealthiest families rarely possessed more than two A-Rank skills. The upper echelon, the top 0.01%, might lay claim to an S-Rank skill at most.

"How are you feeling? Are you all right?" the nurse inquired with genuine concern.
Mark hesitated for a moment, not entirely sure about the proper terminology in this unfamiliar world. "I seem to be suffering from tinnitus... Can you, you know, use some kind of magic to make it go away?"

Her reaction was one of utter bewilderment. "That doesn't make sense; our scans showed no issues with your hearing."

Strange, his status clearly showed "Tinnitus," contradicting what the nurse said. He was reasonably certain the agonizing ringing noise wasn't a product of his imagination. In Bastion of Humanity, even complex medical issues were resolved with relative ease, so the oversight concerning his ears left him feeling perplexed.

"Never mind," he conceded, feeling a pressing desire to leave. "There's nothing wrong. I believe I'm ready to be discharged."

Her dubious look lingered, but she eventually relented. "Very well, Mr. Duncan. If you say you're fine, you're free to leave."

He gave her a slight nod, and swiftly exited the building. Though he wasn't entirely sure why they failed to find his tinnitus, he suspected it may be a mana ailment.
In the novel, people could contract rare forms of diseases known as "mana ailments." These diseases were nearly impossible to cure, and would plague the person for their entire life. One of the heroines has a younger sister with one, so it's discussed pretty thoroughly.

Stepping out of the hospital he breathed the fresh, mana rich air. He couldn't help but feel a sense of isolation as he observed people joyfully conversing and strolling down the bustling streets. This place, despite its familiarity from the novel, was not my home. He was a stranger wearing someone else's skin

Shaking his head to dispel these thoughts, Duncan began to walk leisurely along the city's bustling metropolis streets, acclimating to the strange new world he had been thrust into.

9