Rokas II: Dark Jesus
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Atlas… that wasn't someone Dennis could beat and even he knew it. Yet, he still confronted him without a moment's hesitation.

He… really was built different.

When Percy turned to back him up, James grabbed his shoulder.

"Dennis will handle him." James spoke with complete confidence, grinning slightly as he looked at Luke. "We got Mr. Luke here and his snake girls to beat up."

"Thalia, you can still join us. Look… " Luke turned to Thalia, ignoring James. He pointed at a puddle of water. "Call the Ophiotaurus and you will be more powerful than the gods. Don't you remember all the times we talked? All those times we cursed the gods? Our fathers have done nothing for us. They have no right to rule the world!"

"What are you waffling about, mate?" James questioned, raising an eyebrow. "You got daddy issues?"

"... Has your divine parent done anything for you?" Luke suddenly turned to James. "You haven't even been claimed, have you? You don't even know who your divine parent is."

"She gave birth to me." James replied with a simple, nonchalant tone. "That's enough for me."

"... How absurd." Luke scoffed. "Was your upbringing perfect for you to say such a thing?"

"Perfect?" James chuckled. "I don't want to get into a pity competition on whose upbringing was worse… because mine was far from perfect."

"Then you are fighting for the wrong side." Luke glanced at Thalia. "Thalia, we can fight for a better world again. Together. You, me and Annabeth. It can be just like old times-"

"Luke…" Thalia spoke with a voice of pain. "What happened to you?"

Luke paused. "Thalia, please… It's my last chance. He will use the other way if you don't agree."

The… other way?

Harry and James exchanged looks.

James' body glowed golden for a flash of a second.

James propelled himself forward with his wings which were golden in colour, closing the gap between him and Luke in only an instant. 

Luke definitely wasn't expecting it because his eyes were wide as hell. James grabbed his arm and twisted it, disarming Luke. He then kicked away Luke's sword. 

Thalia sprang into action right after, using her shield to frighten the dragon-women and strike them with her spear. Annabeth ran over to Percy who cut her free.

Luke tried to punch James but he ducked and pulled him down using some kind of martial arts. Before I knew it, he had him in a chokehold. 

"Your plan isn't going so well, is it?" James grinned.

"You're… just a… tool." Luke muttered, struggling to not tap out. "A tool for gods who have no care… for you."

"What's your solution, then? That walking basketball hoop?" James glanced at Atlas. "If anything, it seems to me like you're the real tool. Who are you working for, huh? The Kronos bloke?"

"... You… understand… nothing."

"You're right about that." James sighed, shrugging his shoulders. "I know jack shit except what I've seen with my own eyes. And… What I saw from you is that you tied up an innocent girl and put a sword to her neck. Someone who was your friend. A close one at that. Was I wrong with what I saw, Luke? Maybe I'm wrong and that Annabeth bird is the real villain here…"

"..." Luke's eyes lowered and he eventually gave in to James' chokehold.

He was fully unconscious in less than half a minute.

Meanwhile, Thalia fought off the snake-women. Harry and I weren't the best fighters and we knew that. Better yet, we had no weapons… except that dagger. So we sort of stood behind her.

Though… Harry seemed a lot more useful than me. I was certain he empowered James with that golden glow and then did the same with Thalia and Percy. He could also heal wounds.

Meanwhile, I…

What the fuck… can I do?

Nothing.

I was useless.

A burden.

And I… hated it.

With all my heart and soul.

I just watched as the people who could actually fight beat up all six of the snake-women. Though, by then, many other monsters were encircling us. They were climbing the mountain.

"How many of them are there?" Percy asked, standing beside Annabeth who looked extremely tired.

"Too many for my liking." James had grabbed Luke's sword, spreading out his wings. He rose higher, getting a bird's eye view. "And… it isn't going to get any easier, either. We need to get that damsel Goddess freed so she can deal with them."

"That's a good idea-" Percy frowned as he drew his sword. "This…"

It looked like he couldn't wield it properly.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked.

"Ares' curse…" Percy sighed, turning to Artemis. "I should hold the sky. I can't fight effectively without my sword."

"Holding the sky… you can't do it." Annabeth shook her head. "It's too dangerous. You'll… die."

"No, I'll hold it. The monsters are blocking the way and only I can fly past them." James countered. "You're the veteran, you can figure something out without your sword."

"But…"

"No… I'll do it."

I spoke out, turning to James.

"All this time, I've been nothing but a burden. This… should be the least that I can do. I'm the worst fighter here. It's only reasonable for me to be the one to do it."

"... Rocky." James frowned, shaking his head. "You can't hold the sky. It'll kill you."

"And it won't kill you?" I raised an eyebrow. "You've stood up for me more times than I can count. For once… I want to do it too. I want to stand up for you, James. Please let me do it."

"..." 

"I have to do it, James. Even if you don't let me… I'll find a way."

We exchanged looks… and, in the end, it was James who blinked first.

"I understand." James stretched out his hand. He managed a smile. "Let's do this, Rocky."

I nodded, taking his hand.

James helped me up into the skies and soared straight for Artemis, dodging all the monsters along the way. He then let me down next to her.

"The sky… let me hold it." 

I looked at Artemis, my heart beating rather quickly. I couldn't imagine holding the weight of the sky… but I had to do it. 

"No, boy." Artemis outright refused, shaking her head slightly. Her head was full of sweat like a waterfall. "You don't know what you're asking. It will crush you!"

"Let it crush me." I replied, glancing at Dennis who was in a fist fight with Atlas and all the approaching monsters. "I'm not going to let my friends die if I can help it."

This quest… did not matter to me. I didn't care if the Goddess was freed or not. What I did care about, however, were my only true friends in the world.

In their time of need, I wasn't going to shy away and watch them struggle while I did nothing.

Not anymore… I was going to hold my weight.

James slashed at Artemis' shackles with Luke's sword and then pushed her out of the way.

"Now, Rocky! Hold that motherfucking sky up high!"

I… did not hesitate.

I dashed right where Artemis stood.

The sky… was heavy beyond all comprehension. As it fell upon me, my mind almost blanked. My knees bent down and I was forced to lower myself. I didn't even see what was in front of me.

It was a constant struggle… I felt my body tearing apart with each passing second. It made me question all of my life decisions leading up to this point.

Why… Why am I here?

Risking my life on a quest that was not mine…

I felt the weight begin to crush me. I bent down even more. It was… unbearable. My eyes were blurry, my mind rumbled with each passing second, my ears screeched and my hands cracked. Every part of my body was burning.

I… really was going to die.

For a moment, I gained clarity and peace. My mind allowed for thoughts again…

Guess I won't live to see the Lakers hoist a new championship banner…

I won't finish my GCSE's and further studies…

I won't be there when my friends go on new adventures… 

I won't find love…

I'll die… so… incomplete.

Without ever truly… knowing who I am.

I closed my eyes.

My body failed me as tears fell from my eyes.

Damn it…

"What the fuck are you doing crying, you damn loser?" I heard Dennis' voice.

"Get up, Rocky. Get up and fight. Get up… and win!"

James' voice followed.

"You can do it… I believe in you."

Then Harry's…

"You have the power to fight back." Finally, I heard my mother. "If you want to live, you have to fight for it. Fight with all your strength, my son… and you will stand again. Believe in yourself."

I… can do it.

I will do it.

My mind… was clear.

Whether it was supreme delusion, or confidence… it consumed every fibre of my being.

I felt like I could do anything.

I forced my eyes open and stretched out my palms, grasping the sky. The pain was growing even worse but there wasn't a beat of panic in my heart.

I lifted higher, rising slowly

Higher… higher…

Higher!

The embers within were set alight… the strength which had been hidden away for so long began to rush out, like an inferno. My entire body burned with pain… yet my newfound power burned even brighter. 

I will… stand again!

I pushed the sky upwards… rising off my knee.

Then… I was standing.

I raised the sky up, like I was praising the sun.

Best of all… I could see everything clearly now.

The monsters had been fended off while Atlas was being attacked from all sides. Dennis was at the head of the attack, matching him blow for blow with everyone else supporting him.

He really is amazing.

"That's my brother!" I heard James. "Look at my boy go, what's the sky to Rocky Supernova!?"

"Atlas, Rokas is making you look like a real slouch." Dennis, all bloodied, chuckled.

"Impossible, not only to hold the sky but to raise it so high…" Atlas muttered with a shocked expression. "What kind of demi-gods are you?"

"The British kind." James replied, grinning. "Didn't you know? We have Yorkshire tea that gives us superhuman strength."

"What's… that?" Harry asked, looking up. "The ghosts…"

I looked up, noticing dozens… no, hundreds of purple ghost-like figures pushing themselves against the sky.

"We come to your service, my liege!"

The sky felt so light with them aiding me.

Was this… my power?

Instinct took over.

Weapons… we've been lacking in that department.

"Arm yourselves, my friends."

The ground opened up, revealing a hole that looked like it led straight to hell. Magna rose from it. A spear, shield, sword and set of spiked gauntlets - all glowing with pure darkness. 

"Those gloves were made for me." Dennis grinned, going straight for them. "Perfect fit!"

"I'll go for the sword…" James flew in. Though, when he grasped it, he didn't hold it for long. "Damn… it's not for me."

I don't know what it was but James didn't want any part of the sword, settling for Luke's. As for Harry, he took the spear and shield without any problems.

With their new weaponry, my friends began to scare off the monsters. A great majority wanted no part of them. They looked terrified.

"Stygian Iron…" Artemis turned to me with a strange expression on her beautiful face. "To call upon those weapons so casually…"

"Who told that wretched Lord of the Underworld to sire more children?" Atlas frowned deeply, clutching his javelin. "And one so capable… you are far too dangerous."

I could feel it, his desire to kill me. If he could, Atlas would've thrown the spear right through me. But… who would hold the sky in my stead?

BANG.

"Eyes on me, bitch!"

Dennis punched him in the nuts. 

"Arrrgh… not again…"

BANG. BANG. BANG.

With his new gauntlets, Dennis really did become a menace. He started throwing hands with Atlas and even began pushing him back. Meanwhile, Zoe fired on weak points in his armour and Artemis slashed him apart with her arm-lengthed dual daggers. Harry healed his wounds and buffed him up. James danced around the skies, slashing through monsters and distracting Atlas. Meanwhile Thalia and Percy made a great monster-slaying team.

Even so… they couldn't fight them all alone.

"All of you… aid them." 

I looked up at the ghosts, watching the horde of monsters approaching. 

"Yes, my liege!" The leader among them, who looked very much like a common adaptation of robin hood, drew his transparent bow. "Fire at will!"

Hundreds of arrows flew from the skies, lighting it up with a royal purple hue. 

Meanwhile, the weight of the sky increased greatly. Or rather, my share of the burden was back to 100%.

Even so…

I grit my teeth and held the sky in place.

With the ghosts joining the battle, the monsters were beaten back rapidly. Even Atlas was getting his ass kicked in what you could call a gang-bang. He could hardly fight back, being attacked from all sides.

Dennis gave Atlas the 'Dennis Special', hammering him on and on and on again…

I thought the Titan was going to die.

Then… Atlas did something unexpected. Instead of taking Dennis head on, he swatted him away and turned to Zoe.

No…

Clang!

It was Harry that shielded the blow, taking the full strength of Atlas. Even with the shield he recently gained… The blunt force greatly affected him.

"Drag his ass over here!"

I roared and the ghosts followed my command.

"You're fucking finished." Dennis clenched his fists, which glowed a mixture of pitch black and gold. "I'm going to kill you. I'm going to slaughter you. I'm going to tear you apart, limb from fucking limb!"

Dennis started beating down on Atlas even worse than before…

Meanwhile, the ghosts swarmed the heavily damaged Atlas and dragged him over to me. Dennis only added to the push while Artemis watched my back.

"No… no… not once more!"

In a split second, Artemis dragged me away while Atlas was slammed right down onto the ground by Dennis. He dashed away, leaving Atlas to be smacked head-first by the weight of the sky.

The Titan begrudgingly raised his arms and lifted the skies again. 

All… had returned to normal. In that regard, at least.

I let out a sigh of relief.

Though… my body… I started feeling dizzy as hell…

All the super-strength seemed to drain away in an instant. The ghosts vanished and I loosened my body, almost collapsing to the ground.

"I got you." I heard James' reassuring voice. "I want you to know… that was the most badass shit I've ever seen."

The most badass shit…

Heh…

I managed a smile.

"I… know."

James grinned slightly. "Don't get too cocky now."

"How is… Harry?"

"It's not as bad as it looked. His arm's a bit fucked but you look far worse than he does."

"Really…?" I looked down at all of my sweat. True enough, I couldn't even lift my hand. Even staying conscious took a great effort. "That's good news. But the job's not finished… is it?"

"You rest up, Rocky. We'll handle the rest-"

"No… I… can still fight."

"You held up the fucking sky, mate. You got us those weapons, called on all those ghosts and changed the outlook of the entire battle. You've done more than enough."

"..."

"We'll finish the rest. I promise."

I blanked out.

All I saw was darkness…

A voice broke the silence.

"Such great power yet it is only a minuscule glimpse… imagine what you could do if you embraced the darkness, your truest self? Even the Gods would be at your mercy."

"No one would mock you again, never again would you feel helpless and all your other desires would come to pass. Wealth, power, women… you could have it all."

"There is no limit on what you could achieve… under my guidance."

His voice… sounded ancient, powerful and cold. Like a primordial God who had woken from a long slumber.

It… was just a weird dream that would fade away. 

Or so I thought.

~

"Wake up. Wake up. Wake up!" 

Just… a little bit more sleep wouldn't hurt…

"Wake. The Fuck. UP!!!"

Some dickhead violently shook me, endlessly. 

"Dennis, you're just going to kill him doing that…"

I made out Harry's voice, opening my eyes slowly. 

"Alright, alright." I spoke with an annoyed tone, shoving away Dennis' hands. "I'm awake."

"Alright, he's waking up." Dennis chuckled, standing up. "We don't really have all day, you know. You can have your beauty sleep later."

"Here, let me help you up." Dennis offered his hand.

When I reached out to take it, Dennis slipped back his hand behind his head. I raised an eyebrow as he chuckled.

"I got you there, didn't I? You can get up yourself."

"Wanker…"

"Dennis, you are a dickhead." James chuckled, offering his hand instead. "Come on."

I took it and lifted myself up with James' assistance. Turns out that I was still feeling the consequences of my earlier heroics as my body felt like shit. Well, I wouldn't say I was exactly heroic… more so reckless. I wanted to prove myself so badly.

I… wanted to help my friends. That's all.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked with a concerned tone. "Artemis patched you up a bit and I did what I could on the ride here…"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I reassured him. "I'll be good."

When I got back on my feet, I took a proper look around. There was a giant golden gate in front of us and the people who originally partook in the final stage of the quest were all there. Zoe, Percy, Annabeth and Thalia to be precise.

While looking over at them, I had made eye-contact with Thalia's beautiful electric eyes… accidentally. I turned away immediately.

Not that she was scary or anything… I mean, she is pretty damn powerful. And cool. And badass.

The reason why… Well, I like her and I didn't want her to know that. There is no way she feels the same way and her knowing now would just make things very awkward.

Honestly, she is waaaaaaay out of my league.

It's so silly to have a crush on someone like that… but me and my stupid heart disagrees. 

"Ooooooooh." James made a really stupid sound, looking at me. It was the kind of sound he makes when he discovers a revelation of sorts. "Ooooooooh. I see you, Rocky. I seeee you."

"..." Did he know? Did I make it that obvious? "What are you talking about?"

"I'll sign you up on the football and basketball teams. Some gym sessions, maybe a public speaking club. No worries." James chuckled, turning away. "But first we got this Olympic Games meeting or whatever it's called."

"Winter Solstice." Annabeth corrected.

"I know what you're thinking." Dennis added, looking at me. "This shit ain't even our problem but apparently you're a big part of it and they HAVE to see you."

"Considering the very strong possibility of you being a son of Hades, one of the Big Three…" Percy said, sighing. "You might get tied up into something huge. Something which shouldn't really be your issue… but that's how it is with being a demi-god. We get a lot of issues we never ask for."

"That's especially true if you're a child of the Big Three." Thalia added, looking at me. I tried not to look back, fidgeting slightly. "Your divine parent might not necessarily be Hades. I hope it isn't."

"Hey, if he is… we'll be in this together. There'll be three of us." Percy managed a smile. "We might, you know, be disintegrated but hey…"

"Disintegrated?" I muttered. "... Why?"

"There's this Great Prophecy-"

"I believe they've been waiting long enough." Zoe stated. "We can only hope that Lady Artemis' words persuade them against it."

"Let some God try and bully one of my friends." Dennis huffed. "I'll beat them all up!"

"You never change." James chuckled. "And… even better, I think they heard you."

"Let them hear me!" Dennis shouted even louder. "I beat up Atlas, I don't mind beating up a hundred more!"

"... I truly wonder if there is a single cell in your body that can feel fear." Zoe sighed, shaking her head. "Thou can act so foolishly it's absurd."

"At least, Ares would value your courage…" Annabeth added. "For whatever that is worth."

Dennis is… mental. But, equally, I'm glad to have a friend like him. No matter what, even if the sky is falling down (which it was), he will stand by you when you need him most. It could be an entire army of monsters…

He would run. No, not away. He would run straight at them!

That's just how he is. 

And… I think his careless courage rubbed off on me. James' crazy strong desire to win too. Ordinarily, there was no way in hell I'd do anything like what I did on that mountain.

"Everyone ready?" Percy asked.

"As ready as we can be." James replied. "Right?"

"I guess so." Harry added.

"Mhm!" Dennis firmly nodded.

Percy turned to me and I nodded.

"Yeah."

Rarely does life wait for you to be ready… you just have to walk and learn along the way.

It was Dennis who pushed open the door, with such force it almost slammed against the giant walls on the other end. Then Dennis, Percy, Thalia and James took the lead while I sort of walked last.

It wasn't intentional… well, maybe a little… but I wasn't as excited to go in front. 

Especially after what Percy said…

There were twelve massive thrones, making a U-shape across the colossal hallway. A lot of the figures who sat on these thrones were beautiful and handsome. Insanely large, too. Their glowing bodies made it all too clear…

No doubt… They are the Olympians.

The Gods of the world.

I couldn't stop looking at one of them. The one who sat second last on my right. She was the most beautiful woman… Goddess… thing… in all of existence. Her hair was an immensely sexy mixture of mainly purple that slowly turned to gold, shining like the stars. It was like looking upon the most ravishing, soul-taking sunset. Her eyes were a deep royal purple with sparks of gold, glowing with all the allure of the world. Coincidentally, these two were my favourite colours…

I forgot where I was for a while… just falling into the dream of her eyes. It was then that she turned to me and her lips curled into a smile. She winked at me.

I quickly turned away as my daze wore off, probably blushing. I decided it was best not to look that way again.

She… had to be Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love and Beauty.

"Which one of you brats said they would beat us all up?"

  A God further on to my left questioned, he was pretty close to the centre of the U. He wore a red muscle shirt, black jeans, a black leather jacket and combat boots. He had red-tinted sunglasses on and held a large hunting knife.

Maybe he was planning to chop Dennis to pieces.

"Me. I did." Dennis answered, turning to the god who looked like a hardcore biker. "You want to go?"

… One of these days, Dennis will piss off the wrong person.

"Hahaha… you think I am the same as Atlas? Me, Ares? I am the God of War, kid. Fighting is what I do."

"That's even better. You'll have no excuses about being rusty when I kick your ass." Dennis grinned, holding his head high. 

"That is Dennis, the Son of Death I mentioned." Artemis, the only God who was normal sized and absent from her throne, explained. 

"Ah!" Ares' eyes lit up as he stood up. "You are the Son of Death Artemis spoke of? Thanatos' only kid… ever? You know, your dad and I go waaaaay back. You can say we are best buddies!"

War and Death… they do go hand in hand.

"Uh-huh." Dennis nodded. "Cool."

"... I even see the resemblance. You are more fiery, however." Ares chuckled. "I like you." 

"... The virgin God of Death brought life, such forbidden love and I've only heard of it today." The Goddess who I assumed was Aphrodite stated. She looked at Dennis with curiosity. "What kind of woman seduced the virgin god Thanatos, I wonder?"

"This love is rather poetic, too." One further seat down on the left from Ares, a shining god remarked. "It deserves a most brilliant song. Hmm… Where Death Met Life?"

The Gods… were human. At least, in their personality. It reminded me why I liked their myths so much. They even evolved with the times and had modern clothing. Well, most of them.

In terms of drip… is that Poseidon… yeah, the guy in the Hawaiian shirt and sun-glasses got it.

I felt a bit envious of Percy… 

Out of the Big Three, why was my 'dad' the lamest one?

Well, it isn't 100% confirmed yet…

"We are not gathered here to hear you sing, Apollo." 

The guy at the centre, who wore a greek white toga with threads of gold, raised his hand and silence followed. His eyes were electric blue like Thalia's and his hair was just as black. The family resemblance surely was there.

He had to be Zeus… the King of the Olympians. The God of the Sky.

He had a proud, intimidating aura which made even Atlas' seem a little mellow.

His eyes scanned Dennis' figure.

"You are an anomaly, indeed." He turned straight to me, not giving Dennis much attention. I was hiding a little bit behind the group but it didn't really matter. He most definitely saw me. "Step forward, the demi-god who held the sky."

My body froze for a moment… Why was he so scary?

I felt like the entire world was full of thunderclouds, waiting to zap me into ash.

Everyone sort of stepped out of the way, like a parting sea. I was the centre of attention… the place I hated most. Now, instead of a school assembly with two hundred teenagers and some teachers watching me, it was twelve all-mighty gods, my friends and allies. Less people, sure… but the pressure felt a thousand times greater.

"Did I not say step forward?" His eyes sparked.

You want me to step forward? Fine.

I stepped forward. Whether it was my slightly sassy nature, pettiness or flare of anger… I stepped several more times just for extra measure.

"That is close enough."

He rested his head on his hand, looking down on me.

"You do not look like much." He remarked with a cold tone. 

"Chubby bunny." Apollo chuckled, as if he had been waiting to say it all along.

Zeus glanced at Apollo and he straightened up a little.

"Atlas believed you to be a son of Hades and Artemis greatly suspects this to be true given what you have accomplished. So… how old are you, boy?"

"I just… turned sixteen. On the fifteenth." I replied, raising an eyebrow. "Why does my age matter?"

"Show me your abilities."

… Show my abilities?

How do I do that?

The only thing I've learned to do at will was call upon my mom (which sounds pretty lame, any crying child can do that… except my mom is technically dead)

What about that Robin Hood looking guy? 

I stretched out my palm and focused. A purple flame lit up from the centre of my palm, spiralling away to my side. It grew and formed the figure I had thought of. 

"You called upon me, my liege?"

"That is all?" Zeus looked disappointed, frowning slightly. "You call yourself a son of the Big Three?"

Well, I didn't exactly call myself one… everyone else just threw the label on me.

"That is the famed Robin Hood!" Apollo lit up. "One of the finer archers to grace the mortal world, called upon so easily. His ability is worthy of som-"

"It is nothing special." Zeus raised his hand, interrupting Apollo. I swear he had an agenda against me. "If you were Hades' son, that would be laughable. Any child of mine would humiliate you. Perhaps you are of a lesser underworld god with great luck… or has Hades' power lessened to this extent?"

"Don't take that shit." Dennis spoke out. "Show him what you are made of."

"... You are outspoken." Zeus glanced at Dennis. "Did I address you?"

"Do I care-"

"It's fine." I glanced at Dennis. "I don't need you to stand up for me."

Dennis raised an eyebrow at first… then he smiled, nodding.

If I were the same, I may have hung my head low and let the mockery slip by. It would pass on, after all… this moment is not eternal. I could (possibly) return to a normal-ish life.

… I felt angry. The type of anger that doesn't fade so easily. It burned deep inside, begging to be unleashed. 

And I… was not in the mood to hang my head low again. Whether it was my tiredness making me reckless and less cautious, Zeus' constant mockery or my instincts awakening from before… 

I was not going to cave in.

Not here, not now.

"Nothing special?" 

I turned to Zeus and raised my head, meeting him eye-to-eye for the first time. I felt my entire body lit up on fire… the good kind. The type Dennis was high on all the time.

I didn't say anything else…

I'm going to let my actions do the talking.

I spread open my arms and a deep purple flame engulfed the entire throne room. I could hear thunder - followed by the flames dispersing. In their stead, stood hundreds of warriors ranging from various eras. From knights to longbowmen to spartans to roman legionaries … everything.

They went from one corner to the next, filling the massive hall except for the thrones themselves.

"Chubby bunny has some taste when it comes to souls, at least." Ares remarked. "They are all warriors."

"He is so cute when he's angry." Aphrodite added. 

"That was a mistake… he should have passed as an ordinary demi-god and gone about his days. Alas, what is a hero without foolishness." The furthest down the right playing with his wine-glass, sighing. 

"That is most definitely a son of Hades." A beautiful Goddess with black hair and a crown of wheat frowned deeply as she looked at me. "Given his age, he should be destroyed before the great Prophecy comes to pass."

"He is already sixteen." The god to the left of me on the far end of the U countered. He had winged shoes… which made me believe he was Hermes. "What good would destroying him do? That part of the prophecy has come true already."

"That would be precisely the reason to do so." The goddess who sat directly opposite to Ares, clad in greek armour, replied.

Zeus grasped his lightning bolt and thunder struck, obliterating all of my ghosts in an instant. Silence followed.

I didn't feel nearly as badass as I did when I called upon those warriors.

"That flame, that glare and that mischievous grin… there is no doubt."

Zeus had confirmed his suspicions… but was that a good thing? I was edging on no.

"Destroying a child of our brother… he would be furious." Poseidon, who sat directly next to Zeus added. He could sense his growing fury.

"How quick was he to send the beasts of the underworld to slaughter mine?" Zeus glanced at Thalia, then at me. "Now he broke the promise that the three of us had made, his very reasoning for that repulsive act. The same deed that incited such fury from him… he, himself, has done! The least that this boy deserves is to live as a tree - as Thalia had done."

 

Live as a tree…

That was the least… and I doubt that was going to happen. It sounded like he was going to do a lot more than that.

I'm so… so… fucked.

Why did I have to be a son of Hades? 

I didn't choose this life.

I didn't choose him to be my dad.

I just… 

"Dad… it's not his fault for being born." Thalia spoke out. "Nor is it his fault for what Hades did! You can't hold him accountable…-"

I didn't glance back… but my heart certainly beat with some hope. 

"Silence!"

"He who raised the sky and shifted the tides of the battle single handedly with his actions…" Artemis remarked, frowning deeply. "If all he earns is death for his heroic actions, then are we any better than the Titans? If we kill our heroes in fear of prophecies, in fear of what they might do-"

"Silence!" 

Zeus repeated. His electric blue eyes sparked violently as he stood up from his throne and descended. One slow step at a time.

"Nah, fuck this dickhead." Dennis stepped forward, joining me. "I left Atlas with a broken dick, I can do the same with this wanker."

"..." Zeus raised an eyebrow.

"What good are brothers if they run at the sight of danger?" James spread his wings, joining me. "If we die, we die together!'

"Not the beautiful one…" Aphrodite frowned slightly.

"I… am stuck with you guys forever." Harry sighed, joining us. "Well, guess this is it. It was a great vacation while it lasted. I am ready to meet God."

It was almost funny, talking about God in a room of Gods. I would have laughed if my life wasn't about to end.

"Then destroy me as well. Since you're so scared of some Prophecy, what's the point? You're going to do it anyway."

Someone who I didn't believe would back me… did.

It was Percy.

We were cool but he really had no reason to stand up for me.

"I'll be sixteen tomorrow." Thalia added, joining my side. "Are you going to destroy me too, dad?"

I was flattered…

But, it didn't seem like anything had changed. He didn't have to kill us all, anyway. He was a God. He could aim directly for me and I'd be gone.

"This changes nothing."

Zeus had made his judgement.

Thunderclouds formed…

Guess this really was it.

Despite all that struggling, the end was more or less the same…

Then…

The golden gates were violently forced open.

"ZEUS!!!"

The thunder clouds dissipated as Zeus turned his eyes to who had just entered. I turned, too. Everyone did.

"You will not touch a single hair on my son's head."

Hades was tall, muscular and imposing—even when it came to Godly standards. His skin was pale like a vampire's, probably due to a lack of sunlight in the Underworld. His hair was cut short, black as night, which was the same case for his beard. His eyes flared with a deep purple flame, threatening to burn anything that stood in his way. 

In contrast to Zeus, he wore mainly pitch black robes with blood red threads. His robes flowed freely, decorated with souls towards their end… and those souls did not give pleasant vibes. They radiated an evil aura.

He had a helm of Celestial Bronze at his side which was decorated with scenes of death and destruction. There was a sword similar to the one I had summoned at his side, pitch black - yet it glowed. He also had massive keys strapped to his belt. On his fingers, he wore two rings, a skull one and an opal one.

He… really is my dad?

Hades, the God of the Underworld. The eldest and most feared of the Big Three.

It all felt surreal.

"Hades." Zeus paused, raising his head high as his hair flowed longer. "As you are my eldest brother, I will allow you a moment to explain yourself. Whatever weak excuse that you have for this grave transgression, I want to hear it."

"You are always quick to incriminate me but never yourself." Hades remarked, frowning at Zeus and Poseidon. Mainly Zeus. "I never broke our promise. I had not so much as touched a single mortal woman ever since we made that promise. Unlike you… and Poseidon. My word is as good as gold."

"Oh?" Zeus questioned, glaring at me. "How do you explain this? You've already admitted that he is a son of yours."

"That, he is. In soul, spirit and blood." Hades nodded. "However, he… was not born just like any demi-god."

"... What sort of excuse is this?" Zeus' frown deepened. His eyes sparked violently. "We vowed to not have any children and here you have this abomination!"

Being sandwiched between two twenty feet tall all-mighty Gods wasn't the best feeling… but I felt better with Hades behind me.

"Your hypocrisy is unbearable." Hades' fire grew in ferocity. "As I said, Rokas' birth was not at all natural."

He said my name perfectly. It wasn't an English name… usually people pronounced it as Rock-Ass (And I hated that). Did he practise it?

More importantly, my birth… What was so unnatural about it?

"I met with the woman that was to be his mother in 1944 and he was meant to be conceived in the summer of 1945. However… he did not grow physically during that time. I began to think that he would never be born. Yet… as the years passed, his soul continued to grow in power and carried onto what would be his younger, mortal sister, years later."

"At the age of thirty-five, that same sister who was a virgin—gave birth to my son." Hades looked behind Zeus, to the beautiful Goddess who sat next to him before. "You would know it to be true, Hera."

When Hera looked at me, she had a very puzzled expression. The more she looked, the more that was true. 

I was just as puzzled…

So my mom… was meant to be my sister and my grandmother was meant to be my mom. That opened a whole new can of worms in familial matters.

I was also born from a virgin…

What am I, the second coming of Christ?

"... Hades speaks the truth." Hera met Zeus' gaze. "This boy was… born of a virgin. Hades' bloodline and divine power passed onto the next generation, as Hades explained. This anomaly… was not caused by any Godly interference. It seems that his extraordinary soul was the sole determining factor."

"I believe… it simply refused to form so soon. Or rather, its power was so great the physical body could not form as quickly as any ordinary being."

"... The soul carried his bloodline in its entirety?" Zeus was baffled. "How is such a thing possible?"

"Hades' Son is our Jesus Christ." Apollo chuckled. "Oh my, this just keeps getting better."

"I was just as stunned when I observed the rapid development of his body seventeen years ago, leading into his birth a little sixteen years ago. Regardless… his birth happened the way it did and nothing about that can be changed." Hades explained, staring at Zeus. "Do you understand now? I've kept true to our pact all along."

Everyone looked at me like I was a weird but interesting science experiment.

"... Wow." James muttered. "That's crazy."

"I know." Dennis added. "Who would've thought we had a Jesus in our friend group? Harry, you should start praying to him."

"... The world is a wild, strange, place." Harry remarked.

"Very well." Zeus nodded, his lightning calming down a bit compared to before. "It is true that you kept your word and did not break the pact. Yet… this raises another question, Hades."

"Why did you tell no one of this birth, despite knowing from the beginning? The birth of such a child should have been known long ago…"

"To what end?" Hades questioned, tilting his head slightly. "For you to make an attempt on his life, just like you had done to my other children? Just how you killed Maria!?"

"I gave you a deadline to send them to Camp Half-Blood!" Zeus countered. "You refused to comply. For the greater good, I was left with no choice-"

"To be YOUR hostages! That would have been their fate!" Hades roared back. "What is this Camp Half-Blood to a child of mine, to any child of an Underworld God? Not a single one of those cabins is dedicated to any of my Gods… even I, the God of the Underworld, your eldest brother… do not have a cabin in my name!"

"..." Zeus looked furious as ever but he had no retort to that.

"It should be named Camp Half-Olympian for it is no place for a child of mine." Hades snarled. "When you descended and got entangled with that TV star… did you care to tell any of us? When Thalia was born, did you inform me?"

"Why do YOU expect me to bend to the rules that we mutually agree upon… yet you, yourself, NEVER follow them? Your hypocrisy is sickening!" Hades' flames seemed to burn bright as ever. "The reason why I never told you—why I hid his existence was… because I knew the sort of 'justice' you would have dealt. Your nature would make you forget that you started this by attacking my children, killing my lover and then breaking the pact we made. You would have taken out your fury on him."

"... Brother." Poseidon raised his hand. "We can settle this matter, surely-"

"I swear, on the River Styx, if any injustice is done here towards my son… Olympus will fall. This is my absolute, most solemn vow!"

At that moment, Hades looked like the most terrifying being in all of existence.

To think that he'd go that far for me despite being absent my entire life.

Zeus grasped his thunderbolt tightly, glaring at Hades. It felt like their staredown lasted a century. A storm of fire and lightning.

"... We will vote." Zeus' expression lightened as he turned, walking back to his throne. "Percy, Thalia and Rock-Ass… as children of the Big Three, the Great Prophecy may belong to any one of them. As such, in the matter of destroying them or allowing them to live… they will be voted on together rather than individually."

Zeus officially fell to last in my personal Big Three rankings… that horrible pronunciation of my name was the last straw.

"All the other demi-gods, move aside and do not intervene. And you, Hades… will have a vote as well. Does that sound suitable for you?"

Hades' expression did not change. His eyes scanned all the other Olympians before turning to the now seated Zeus.

"I have little care for how you Olympians decide things." Hades frowned. "I only care for the result."

"... I would take that as a yes." Poseidon remarked. "Well, I would vote against destroying them. I believe that all of our children are extraordinary demi-gods… even by historic standards. I have faith that they would make the right choice if the time ever came."

Zeus took a look between us three, taking a deep breath. He liked me the least… clearly. But was it enough to sentence Thalia to death as well?

"I vote against." Zeus spoke firmly. "Hades?"

"I would toss the other two into a cauldron… especially the girl." Hades sighed. "Alas… I vote against."

Bunching all of us together… it was one way to secure the vote. Voting otherwise would mean the fury of the Big Three, the rulers of the three greatest domains. Especially Hades who had already sworn to destroy Olympus if things did not go his way.

The rest of the Olympians voted against destroying us… leading to a unanimous vote. Even Athena, who spoke of the danger, feared Hades' fury far more.

13-0…

My dad… had saved my life.

Well, he was the reason why I was in this mess in the first place… but he got me out. 

That's all that mattered.

"... Then my business here is done." Hades turned around. "Come, child. I will show you our domain."

"..." I paused, glancing between one side of the room to the other. "I… want to see Camp Half-Blood. It can't be as bad as you say."

I wasn't all that excited to go to the underworld. I mean, I still had my studies to finish and so many other things to sort out. I wanted to hang out with my friends, thank Percy and Thalia and have a proper end to my vacation.

I wanted to be normal for a bit longer… as normal as I could be, at least.

Hades glanced back at me with a disapproving glare.

"You would go to a place where you will never be welcome?" 

"I don't need others to make me feel welcome." I managed a smile. "Worst case, I'll just have to make myself welcome."

"When you think the time is right, the Underworld will open to you." Hades replied, grinning slightly. I think he was impressed by my answer. "Until then… I will watch over you, my son."

"You are not going to stay over and join the celebration?" Poseidon asked. "Come, brother. It has been too long since we all celebrated together."

"There is nothing to celebrate."

Hades opened a portal, glancing back at me one more time.

"By the way, your birthday present is waiting in the underworld."

"Does it come with the other fifteen I missed out on?" I replied, getting a bit cheeky.

"… I will see you when you are ready. Also, one last thing. Dennis Mertvago and Harry Shepherd, know that your divine parents are most proud of you. Though I cannot speak for your divine parent, James King, you have earned my respect and will be rewarded for your deeds. My son is truly fortunate to have such fine friends."

"Nah, we're lucky to have him." James shook his head. 

"You are all more than welcome to visit the Underworld together… I would prefer it if you did, for that matter. 

"The sooner, the better."

Without further explanation, Hades stepped through and vanished from the hall.

"No partying?" James remarked, glancing at me. "Your dad is just like you."

"I go to parties." I countered.

"Yeah, you sneak off with all the cupcakes and eat them in the corner." Dennis chuckled.

"Shut up."

I let out a sigh of relief. 

Well, what I've learned is that life was a mix of ups and downs.

I might have Zeus on my dick (figuratively) for the rest of my existence, I might have to fight monsters all the time and I probably can't take any flights without the risk of being struck down… but my dad is Hades, I have the best friends in the world and I…

Feel alive. (and, just as well, I'm actually alive.)

Life's pretty good…

~

After vote, there was another about the cow-serpent Ophiotaurus. In the end, Percy managed to convince them to keep it alive. Poseidon wanted to safeguard in the sea but Zeus objected and they agreed to have it kept in Olympus. 

Then… the partying started.

"They better have some good vodka here!" 

Dennis began right away. He had a keen sense for alcohol which was illegal for his age. Not that the law stopped him, he had his first shot of vodka at the age of three. Actually, he probably had a couple in the womb.

"Alright, lads. I got a few dances with sexy goddesses to attend to." James chuckled. "Who knows? I might slide inside one like a smooooth criminal."

"Avoid Aprohdite." I warned James. "The one with purple-gold hair."

"Gold-purple hair? There wasn't one like that."

"The goddess on the right, second-closest seat to us from that side."

"She had pure golden hair and blue eyes."  James frowned slightly. "Are we taking about the same one? I didn't even see any with purple hair."

"... Huh?" I raised an eyebrow.

"For me she had green hair and eyes." Harry added.

"Maybe… her appearance depends on the person." I stated, stroking my chin. "Since Aprhodite is the Goddess of Beauty and beauty itself is subjective…"

"Nerd." James chuckled. "It doesn't matter, she was the hottest in the room. Why do you have to warn me against it? You want her?"

"Her husband is Hephaestus and one of her most prominent lovers is Ares… at least if the myths are accurate. They're both major gods. Speaking of lovers, she has plenty."

"So, you're looking out for me, Rocky?" James smiled, shaking his head. "Don't worry, let me handle my stuff on my own. You go and bag Thalia."

"... You got the wrong idea." I turned away, shaking my head. "I don't-"

"I know you the best." James interrupted. "Live your life, Rocky. Be honest. Be yourself… you don't have to hide how you feel. If she doesn't rate you, who careeees? Find another fish to catch."

"You're underworld royalty, mate. You're the prize."

James pat my shoulder, smiled and turned away.

"I'm not much of a party person, either." Harry glanced at me. "Though, victories like this should definitely be celebrated and appreciated. We never know when our lives can come to an abrupt end. Each day is a blessing."

"Yeah." I nodded. "You're right."

"I'm going to go and see if I can find out more about our world. Maybe the gods can tell me more about other gods… if they exist."

"Mhm, you should. I know it's important to you and who knows? That knowledge could be very helpful in the future." I smiled slightly, nodding.

"See you, Rokas."

"Later."

When Dennis said I took all the cupcakes and hid away from everyone else… he was absolutely right.

Olympian parties were something else, I'll tell you. The music they played was apparently different from person to person—suiting whoever heard it perfectly. No one complained about anyone's shitty playlist… because, well, it was based on your likes. Everyone was just vibing.

What did I hear, you may ask? Michael Jackson, OST's and openings from various Anime, Three Day's Grace (yes, I like Rock), Skillet… a lot of stuff, really.

I liked to think that I had a pretty diverse taste in music…

Aside from the lit music, there was plenty of amazing—and I mean divine—food. I was a bit shy at first, taking only a little bit. But, eventually, the glutton within got the better of me.

Especially when I tasted their 'divine rice pudding'.

I had one… two… three… five… ten!

Yes, ten full cups of that.

I was in heaven.

"Enjoying yourself?"

I almost choked on my spoon when I realised who it was.

"Uhm…. Thalia." I cleaned and straightened myself up pretty quickly. I turned to face her.

"You're eating like you've never had rice pudding before." Thalia smiled slightly. 

"It's… one of my favourite desserts. Well, I have a lot of favorite desserts."

"I can see that." She looked down slightly.

Skull.

"Sometimes… I can't help my sweet tooth." I replied, managing a smile. "I… actually wanted to thank you for what you did there."

"You did far more for me." Thalia remarked, standing closer to me. "Nevermind the amazing stuff you pulled on Mount Tamalpais, you carried the weight of the Great Prophecy as the eldest one of us. The least I could do is share it even a little."

"You give me way too much credit." I replied, shaking my head. "It's not like I willingly chose to do that, it was forced onto me."

"Even so, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Mostly because of my dad."

"I… don't believe children should carry the sins of their parents. You know what I mean?" I stated, glancing at her. "You shouldn't have suffered because of the conflict between our dads… nor should we, ever. It just feels like a cycle that keeps going on and on. Zeus does one stupid and unreasonable thing, Hades gets mad, Hades retaliates, then Zeus gets back at him…" 

"I couldn't have said it any better. That… is what Luke spoke about." Thalia sighed, shaking her head. "Sometimes… I wonder if he's right. Are the Gods right to rule the world?"

I don't know too much about the politics of Gods to get into that…

"Wait, what happened to him? Wasn't he knocked out?"

I remembered James taking care of him earlier.

"He managed to regain consciousness and slip away." Thalia replied. "He'll be back to fighting, I'm sure of it."

"Well, that's great." I remarked, with a sarcastic tone. 

"Anyway, you're right. We shouldn't hate each other just because our dads want each other's heads." Thalia smiled slightly. "Or ours."

"Or ours." I agreed, glancing away. "Their battle is with each other, not us. We shouldn't share their feelings."

"Wonder what it will take for them to be on good terms…" Thalia chuckled. "Who am I kidding? That will never, ever, happen."

"Yeah…" I nodded, starting to feel a bit out of my element. I don't recall talking to a girl I liked for that long… if ever. "Anyway, I'll see you around at Camp Half-Blood."

"Mhm…" Thalia nodded. "You're going to munch on more desserts?"

"I… well…"

"Imagine what you could do if you took better care of yourself? If you trained? You would be invincible." Thalia remarked, turning away. "Anyway, I'll see you later, Rokas."

… Was it my delusion or was she interested in me?

Anyway, let's just say that I didn't eat any more desserts after that…

Much to the dismay of my sweet tooth.

1