Prologue: The Falling Of The Stars
466 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone had something they latched onto at a young age. 

For a certain ordinary youth at Deanfold's best educational facility, this would be the sense of responsibility that had been driven deep into his heart.

"Lex, are you ready for your big day?" A happy and ordinary father asked his son.

Though they were both 'ordinary', the standard for normalcy was a bit different.

"Honey, take him to school. Tell me how it works out later." The man's wife yelled.

The lovely sound of his wife made him move closer. Looking beyond into the kitchen. There, he saw a fairy-like beauty with blue hair cutting onions for a dish.

Her beauty- Yes, it was her beauty that was bringing tears into his eyes.

…Maybe they should give little Lex a sibling at this point. It was just a thought.

"You're not coming with us?" The man's arms wrapped her waist from behind.

His tone soft and calming.

The warmth in his eyes would suggest them being newlyweds even at their age.

"I wouldn't have to cook every meal if SOMEONE earned more. Hmph!" The wife snorted while slapping his hand away. It made him awkwardly take a step back.

"…I'll take Lex to school." 

"You better. And oh, tell me what his Job Class ends up being. We agreed that he'd learn and enter an Academy." The wife went back to her work, but her husband had yet to leave. It made her worried.

"What's wrong?" She tilted her head at him. Not knowing why seemed off.

Did she say something wrong?

"I don't know if what we're doing is right for him." The husband sighed regretfully.

"He awakened an Innate Gift. We never had a choice at that point. Plus, isn't it nice that he can become a Hero?" There was no parent who wouldn't agree.

The woman also felt proud of her son.

Awakening an Innate Gift was a sign from the heavens that he had been chosen.

Proof that becoming a hero was destiny.

"His Gift… It's useless and doesn't have any function. You heard about it too. The name given to it was 'Empty'. That's not a name. That's just a classification!" The husband almost yelled in front of her.

However, he managed to control himself.

"Even so, won't his destiny change when he gets a Class? I'm sure he'll do well regardless. You should trust him-" Her words stopped when seeing their son.

He was hanging at the door impatiently.

"Go." The woman pushed her husband to leave before they got late for the test.

The man sighed deeply again, then agreed to take him so he'd feel better.

Perhaps his wife was right. Maybe he was overreacting on what their son would be.

The man himself considered himself to be a Hero. Even if he wasn't acknowledged.

He had learnt his battle techniques late in life, so he couldn't enjoy being taught.

There were so many benefits those in Academies received to fight 'Demons'.

Those corrupted data fragments.

Viruses trying to corrupt their world.

Turning people into monsters. Becoming dark reflections of their former selves.

Their worst instincts given authority.

It was why they called these particular kind of monsters as the 'Dark Muses'.

When stories take dark turns.

The man hardened his heart while taking his son to get tested in front of others.

He saw the untalented ones go first.

Their parents stood behind the children and watched them walk up to a stage.

There stood a monument on top of it.

In the large school hall where parents and children were monitored by staff, many saw what they had been expecting. The ones without Innate Gifts only had one role they took. It showed on the statue.

The child walked on stage. He put his hand on the statue of Thirteen Graces.

The most revered statue of the Earthland Domain. Showing the heroes of the past.

Those immortalised as godly beings.

A light started to emerge from the child's body upon touching the statue in front.

The stars above the blue sky aligned and brought forth divinity upon the school.

Grating the child his 'Class'.

[Jobless]

A word was written in starlight above the child, which faded into him as two marks.

A member of staff looked at the child's arm before nodding. It had went well.

"Congratulations on inheriting the Stigmata Gifts of the Jobless Class. You may discuss your future with parents." A teacher who nurtured the child spoke up.

Hoping the best for him.

Even the 'Jobless' Class had its own set of benefits that could rival other Classes.

That said, 'Jobless' was in the majority.

One of the examiners yawned at such an ordinary scene. Doing it for a long time.

The next students in line finally made them focus more. It was the talented ones. Those who had awakened an Innate Gift. They could be useless or useful.

Regardless, the main point was that their Classes were better than the 'Jobless'.

"Next!" A member of staff had called out.

The children went up one after another to obtain their blessings. A Class and Gifts.

Proofs they were loved by the Graces.

Over time, the amount of people leaving went beyond the amount that was left.

Finally, it was their turn.

"Lex Lindblum, please come onto the stage." A staff member looked at them.

The man watched his child move his small limbs to get off the chair and walk.

Trying hard to not trip over in anxiety.

One step at a time, Lex went to the statue. He walked… but still looked back.

"I'm fine... Just go." The father tried to make his son less worried about him.

However, the child didn't understand.

The child, Lex, understood the hardships his father went through to keep them fed.

He'd choose the smaller things in life if it meant saving money to live a better life.

It was this kind of kind child that nodded to his father and headed for the statue.

Choosing his own destiny.

He put his hand on the statue, and a bright light erupted out of the statue.

But the phenomenon was bigger.

"What's happening?!" Many staff members were surprised at this change.

It was too crazy…

'What…?!' The man stood up when he saw the statue become almost alive.

A pillar of light condensed around his child that broke through roof and sky.

The entire Deanfold City bore witness to the birth of a Class outside the norms.

Above Lex Lindblum's head was one word that condensed after it was all over:

[Hero]

.

.

.

.

.

[Image Gallery- Lex's parents]

—Lex’s Father

Lex’s Father

—Lex’s Mother

3