1. Into the River: The Day Everything Changed
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Into the River: The Day Everything Changed

I was sitting in my dimly lit room, listening to the soothing hum of my computer while being surrounded by heaps of textbooks. This action of pouring over my books was motivated by my dreams to become a scientist, and I wanted to be prepared for tomorrow. But just then, something far more puzzling caught my attention.

 

"Global Phenomenon: The Mystery of Vanishing," blared a banner over the top of my computer screen. I was curious to learn more about the mystery that had captured the attention of the entire globe, so I clicked on the link. A new tab opened up and within a second the article had now loaded.

 

The Vanishing was such an obscure topic that any information would be welcome at this point. Even though it has already been three years perhaps four if you add the initial cases that went unnoticed. The mass disappearances around the world had left many people scared while others were apathetic. The protests and the complaints were only covered briefly by the media as they were far more concerned and interested in the name and baby shower of a celebrity's child than the disappearance of a few people from middle-class and lower-class families. But the incident that took everyone out of their stupor was the sudden disappearance of a very popular singer amidst their concert. It was as if the very air gobbled them up. Since the concert was live, the feed reached all over the world in real-time. The news reporter who went live to cover this incident shortly after it had occurred disappeared from the news station as well.

 

It was complete chaos that day, the people who were trying to seek consoling words from the government and those who were trying to calm themselves down by acquiring more information only had their pains intensified as they saw the reporter freeze up, the air around him shimmered and like a pebble falling into a lake, simply vanished with the ripples.

 

That day humanity was shaken to its core. The social media platforms were temporarily suspended as other video recordings of people vanishing emerged and began to circulate. The videos that had emerged were taken on that very same day. Pressured by the growing unrest the companies had to take this action to preserve what was left in the name of sanity among the populace. That day roughly 60000 people all over the world had vanished into thin air. This was called the 'Day of Reckoning.'

 

As the belief grew that judgment day was imminent and the hour was at an end. The realization dawned on the general populace that they would now be held accountable for their actions. This was soon met by a surge in faith that led individuals to attend religious gatherings with greater frequency. Religious and charitable institutions started receiving donations on an unprecedented scale. One faction of people started spending more time on doing 'good' and accumulating goodwill by dedicating themselves to virtuous deeds and thereby trying to earn some brownie points with God. Whereas one faction was more keen on sitting on their asses embracing and indulging in nihilistic pursuits, prioritizing personal pleasure, and disregarding any responsibilities. They often justified themselves by saying that they would like to leave this world without any regrets and that whatever they do now won't matter anymore since the end is nigh. Crimes were at an all-time high and this was generally a period of unrest.

Of course, there was also a faction claiming it all to be the work of aliens. These factions were the most active in creating conspiracy theories. These were also the safest of the bunch although they did sometimes hype up and advertise the name of certain individuals they believed should be taken up by the aliens and believing that these people would leave a better impression of humanity.

It has been a little more than three years since that fateful day and in this period the world regained its stability as people once again clambered to have their daily needs met. Humans are such adaptable creatures indeed to the point that it is scary.

 

The report or the article first introduced and described the phenomenon known as "Vanishing" that had plagued Earth for years. People from all walks of life were mysteriously disappearing. Homes were left vacant, possessions were left behind, and loved ones were left distraught by the mysterious departure of those whom they cared about.

My brow furrowed as I read about the growing number of people affected by this phenomenon.

'Still no answers huh? It's another cursory article.'

Hundreds of thousands had been swept away into obscurity. Governments worldwide were under immense pressure to find answers, as suspicions of a vast conspiracy loomed like a dark cloud over the Earth. Kidnappings have become rampant, the first thing that comes to mind if anyone goes missing would be Vanishing. As if that's the only thing that's out for the people. Amidst the natural disasters, famines, rising water levels, decreasing water levels, floods, bizarre weather conditions, the chaos the Euphrates river drying up is causing, the ongoing wars between some countries, and the cold wars. The common people are now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Just last month there was a report on how a rural village in a remote corner of the world that had experienced severe famine due to the locusts swarm started using vanishing as a scapegoat and started cannibalizing the surrounding villagers. Their deeds went unnoticed for quite some time and the death toll due to that was estimated to be about 40-60. Apparently, the surrounding villagers had denied any aid for that famine-struck village and so they sought revenge while also relieving their hunger was what the accused villagers had to say.

The article continued with a quote from a high-ranking government official: "We are doing everything within our power to investigate the Vanishing phenomenon. Rest assured, we will leave no stone unturned in our quest for answers."

I sighed, my mind a whirlwind of thoughts. The idea of people simply vanishing into thin air was unsettling, to say the least. I glanced at a framed photograph on my desk—an image of my family smiling together.

'Right, I should call them sometime soon. It's been some time since our last talk. I don't want them to think I have grown unfilial after all. The drama would be beyond me.'

The next day would be a turning point in my life. I have been given the chance to follow my aspirations after being admitted into a prominent university. However, the memory of Vanishing stayed in the back of my mind like a shadow while I packed my luggage and got ready to depart.

'I have to head to the dormitories by nightfall at least to attend tomorrow. Or maybe I'll take the first day off.'

Alex, my best friend, came to pick me up in his trusty old car. Since we were young, we have traveled on innumerable road trips together, sharing our secrets and dreams. This car itself was like another old friend of mine.

My departure for college was an important milestone and a bittersweet farewell for the both of us. Relations tend to slowly get stranded with distances. Still, Alex being Alex was still a bundle of positive energy. We put away the luggage in the trunk and we began our journey to my hostel.

"So, Kaito, ready for the big adventure?" Alex asked with a grin as we sped down the highway, the landscape blurring past us.

I leaned back in my seat, my thoughts oscillating between excitement and anxiety. "Yeah, I guess so. But I can't help but think about all the assignments and the bootlicking I'll have to do.”

Alex chuckled; his hands steady on the wheel. "Ah, college life, don’t take what Sam said too seriously, you know he loves to exaggerate. It might not be as bad as you're making it out to be. You'll do great, buddy. Just remember, it's not all about studying. Make some memories too."

As we conversed and laughed, the sun descended toward the horizon, casting a warm, golden hue over the world. The streetlights had started lightning up one by one, the cars sped past us making their own melody. We were right now on a bridge that connected the two sides of the river.

'I'll miss this.'

It felt like any other day, just as countless other days we had shared. Little did we know that the road ahead held an unexpected twist that would change our lives forever.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, disaster struck. A reckless driver veered into our lane, blinding Alex with blaring headlights. With lightning reflexes, he swerved his car just in time to avoid a catastrophic collision, but the abrupt maneuver sent us hurtling toward the edge of the road.

The car crashed through the railing, and in the chaos of the moment, time seemed to dilate. My heart raced as I glimpsed the dark expanse of the river below. Panic surged through me as I finally realized the gravity of the situation.

"Jump out of the car, Kaito!" Alex's voice trembled with desperation.

I fumbled for the seat belt release, my trembling fingers struggling to unfasten it. I was always the type to either freeze up or fumble when panicked and this time was no different much to my dismay. The seconds stretched into an eternity as I wrestled with the stubborn clasp.

'Ah.. fuck...just come off will you.'

Finally, with a desperate tug, the seat belt came undone, and I flung myself out of the car just as it plummeted into the frigid river. The icy water enveloping me was like a thousand needles pricking my skin. It was too dark. I could not see.

Kicking with all my might, I fought to reach the surface, my lungs burning for air. Panic gripped me as I kicked toward the surface, my vision blurring from the cold and the fear. Finally, my head broke free, and I gasped for air, frantically scanning the river for any sign of Alex. I watched in horror as the car, now partly submerged, continued to sink.

Alex's car submerging after an accident

I couldn't see Alex anywhere, the murky water and the lack of light due to dusk concealing his fate.

"Alex!" I called out, my voice choked with dread.

"Alex!"

"Hey!!"

But there was no response, only the sound of rushing water. Time was running out, and I knew I had to get to safety.

In a state of shock and disorientation, I swam toward the riverbank, struggling to stay afloat. The river's current pulled me mercilessly, making each stroke a battle against the waves that threatened to drown me, and I felt as if I was fighting nature itself.

I was soaked and shivering when I made it to the bank, and as I turned to face the river, my heart was heavy with concern for Alex. The car had wholly sunk at this point, trapped beneath the river's dark depths.

My breaths came in ragged gasps as I staggered away from the river, my clothes clinging to my body. I felt a sharp pain on my forehead and reached up to touch it, my fingers coming away slick with blood.

'Right, I had also banged my head on the car's door while getting out.'

The world spun around me, and I stumbled, my vision fading to black as consciousness slipped away.

0