Interlude 5: Epsilon Company
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The armored mechanized personnel carrier thundered through the rural landscape of Lenapehoking, its massive treads grinding against the dirt road beneath. Inside, Captain Ouyang Ren exuded a calm confidence, his jet-black hair and piercing red eyes providing a stark contrast to the muddy surroundings.

Beside him, Lieutenant Montezuma fidgeted with a maintenance kit, his messy light green mop a common sight among the Nahuatl. The twenty-year-old lieutenant was a bundle of nerves, his eyes darting to Ren for reassurance while he maintained and cleaned his pistol on the countertop.

In the back, Corporal Zhang Zi Ling peered through her scope, her long black braid swaying gently with the vehicle's movement. Her green eyes were calm, betraying none of the anticipation she felt for the upcoming mission.

Sergeant Itzcoatl checked his equipment with methodical precision, his broad shoulders and the scar running down his earth-kissed left cheek speaking of battles past. His teal-green hair was cut short, practical for the soldier he was.

Specialist Cuauhtemoc, the youngest in the vehicle, was a real pain in Ren's ass if he had to be honest. He had all the trappings of a testosterone-fueled teenager, though not as much of it as Montezuma. His deep magenta-pink locks were greasy and unkempt despite repeated attempts at discipline, and he seemed to have a perpetual smirk on his face as if he found everything amusing.

Still, his piloting skills were unmatched, and Ren begrudgingly admitted that he had a knack for getting them out of tight spots. As the vehicle rumbled along, Cuauhtemoc leaned back in his seat, his hands tapping out an erratic rhythm on his thighs.

The vehicle was silent save for the engine's hum and the occasional clink of gear. Ren's gaze was fixed on the road ahead, his mind running through the mission parameters. The Third Platoon had been tasked with escorting Professor Jacob Williams, a VIP with critical knowledge of the Draupnir class drone, to one of numerous American Northern Coalition’s research facilities along the South River of the Lenapehoking region.

Ren had heard countless rumors about the attacks that had been inflicted on the nearby Shoreline City in days prior, and the esteemed professor would be critical for the investigation. The sheer level of coordination required for those attacks had the Captain on edge, knowing they would need to be at their best today. The tension in the air was palpable, each member of the team focused on the mission ahead.

The importance of the task was not lost on him, and he made sure it wasn't lost on his team either.

Outside, the landscape of Lenapehoking stretched out in a tapestry of green fields and rolling hills. Dotting the countryside were negentropy generators, their sleek, magitech structures standing like sentinels against the backdrop of nature. They pulsed with a soft glow, a reminder of the ever-present threat of Chaos Events and the beasts that could emerge from them.

It was, on the surface level, a routine escort mission, but Ren knew better than to let his guard down in the countryside. Negentropy generators were expensive to maintain, and far less prolific out in the forested rolling hills of Lenapehoking than in cities. Chaos Events occurred less often than rain storms, but a single breach could create an infestation that would take weeks or months to quell. Ren's jaw clenched at the thought — the Magnitude 4 event at New Tlacopan still haunted him. The screams of the fallen echoing in his mind like a ghostly chorus.

"Hey, Montezuma, you think the Professor's got some secret tech to turn lead into gold?" Cuauhtemoc’s voice suddenly cut through the silence as he nudged the lieutenant.

Montezuma's cheeks flushed, and he stuttered, "I-I don't think that's what he’s about, Cuauhtemoc. Besides. We should stay focused."

Itzcoatl chuckled, "C'mon, lighten up on the kid, lieutenant. You can't fault him for dreaming big.”

Zhang coughed, "As long as it doesn't turn into another one of your 'get rich quick' schemes, Izzy. The last stunt he pulled almost got us court-martialed."

The young specialist grinned, "Hey, a guy can dream, can't he? Don't you all want a bit of excitement on these dull escort missions? Besides, they can’t court martial the best pilot on this side of the world, can they?"

Ren listened to the exchange with a small smile. It was good for them to relax before getting off the vehicle. But his eyes remained alert, scanning the horizon for any sign of trouble. In this world, it was never far away. He shot a glance at Cuauhtemoc, who shrugged nonchalantly before returning his attention to the passing scenery. The armored vehicle continued its steady advance, the rhythmic thud of its treads creating a sense of rhythm within the team.

The Northern Coalition's flags came into view as they approached base, fluttering in the wind. Ren straightened in his seat, his expression turning serious once again. It was time to focus. They had a job, and he intended to see it through without a hitch.

The base loomed ahead, a fortress of concrete and steel nestled amidst the rolling hills of Lenapehoking. As the convoy of armored vehicles approached, the gates slowly opened, revealing the bustling activity within. Soldiers moved with purpose, and the air was filled with the sounds of machinery and orders being shouted.

Captain Ouyang Ren's vehicle stopped, and he stepped out with the practiced ease of a seasoned soldier. His team followed, their movements synchronized and efficient. The air was crisp, carrying the scent of freshly cut grass and a hint of something metallic.

A non-descript man was waiting for them, a figure of calm and serenity amidst the controlled chaos of a Babylon research facility. His dark brown hair and spectacled amber eyes set him apart from the diverse Coalition soldiers around him. He wore a brown suit and a bowler hat, leaning slightly on a walking cane, the very picture of a diplomat from Earth.

Ren and his team approached, and without a word, they saluted the Ambassador, clapping an open palm over their fists with a slight bow. It was a gesture of respect ingrained in their training. However, he waved them off with a smile.

"At ease, Captain Ouyang. I trust the journey was uneventful?"

The Ambassador’s voice was smooth, carrying an air of authority that belied his relaxed demeanor.

Ren nodded, "Yes, Ambassador. The roads were clear, although some of my men seem to have hoped for a bit more excitement."

He chuckled, "Well, let's hope their wish remains unfulfilled. We've had enough excitement for one week."

The soldiers relaxed slightly, the tension easing from their shoulders.

Ren turned to the center vehicle, signaling Professor Williams to join them. The door opened, and the professor stepped out, his graying black hair and silver eyes catching the light. He adjusted his glasses and straightened the red tie that adorned navy suit, and nodded to Ren before turning to the diplomat.

"Professor Williams," the Ambassador extended his hand, and the professor shook it firmly. "It's been far too long. It's an honor to see you again."

Williams smiled, "The honor is mine, Ambassador Hinokawa. Hope you've kept yourself out of trouble."

Hinokawa's eyes twinkled with a hint of mischief. "I do try to keep it down these days, Professor. I hear you've become quite the busy man as of late. Putting out fires left and right the way you have."

Professor Williams drew back a small smile on his lips. "Indeed, Ambassador. It seems I'm a man in high demand these days. But alas, here I am, dealing with yet another raging inferno. If I didn't know any better, I dare say I should have become a firefighter."

Ren observed the exchange with a quiet respect. It was clear that there was a history between the two men, a mutual understanding that came from years of collaboration and shared experiences.

"Professor, if you would follow me," Hinokawa gestured towards the main building. "We have much to discuss, and time is of the essence."

Ren watched as the professor and the ambassador lowered their voices, their conversation continuing in hushed tones. Ren turned to the platoon accompanying him, keeping his voice authoritative and firm. "Alright, Epsilon Company! We're on standby until the professor's work is done. Stay sharp, and keep your eyes open. The eggheads have reported an entropy flux rating of 7.83 in the area. The odds of an Event occurring tonight are low, but we can't afford to be caught off guard."

Ren's words were met with nods of understanding from his team as they fanned out to secure the perimeter.

Lieutenant Montezuma looked up nervously as Ren turned to him, "Montezuma, you're in charge of the team while I accompany the professor and the ambassador."

Montezuma straightened, a flicker of pride crossing his face as he bowed. "Y-yes, Captain! I won't let you down."

Ren clapped him on the shoulder, a silent show of confidence in the young lieutenant's abilities. He then turned and followed Hinokawa and Williams, his steps measured and purposeful. As the two officials in front of him chattered, Ren turned to the negentropy generators lining the horizon once more. The sleek, metallic structures stood tall against the backdrop of the setting sun, their intricate designs humming with a faint energy that seemed to ripple through the air. A sense of foreboding settled in Ren's gut, a feeling he had learned to trust over the years. The tension in the air was palpable, like a storm brewing on the horizon, invisible but undeniably present. Shaking his head, he quickened his pace to catch up with the professor and the ambassador, his senses on high alert.

Inside, the NAC's research base was a hive of activity. Scientists and soldiers worked side by side, monitoring screens and discussing strategies. The atmosphere was charged with a sense of urgency, a reflection of the importance of their mission.

Hinokawa led them down a series of corridors, each turn taking them deeper into the heart of the base. They passed through security checkpoints, the guards nodding in recognition as the ambassador passed. Finally, they arrived at a secure conference room, the door closing behind them with a soft click.

"Please, take a seat," Hinokawa gestured to the chairs around the table. Ren and Williams complied, the latter pulling out a small notebook from his jacket pocket.

The room was dimly lit, the only sources of light coming from the screens displaying various data and maps. Hinokawa took a seat at the head of the table, his gaze sweeping over the two men before him.

"Before we begin, Jacob, how's the family?" Hinokawa inquired, his tone shifting to a more personal note.

Williams chuckled, "Oh, the usual chaos. Sophia's taken up gardening, of all the damned things. Says it's therapeutic. And our son, well… he's a handful as he's always been. Even more of a pain in my ass now. He's in his second year at St. Antonia's and he's already causing a stir."

Hinokawa raised an eyebrow, "St. Antonia's, you say? That's quite the achievement. Following in his father's footsteps, then?"

Williams smiled proudly, "He's got the touch, that's for sure. The kid grew up with a wrench and a resonator in his hands. I just hope he doesn't blow up the basement one of these days."

Then, Williams leaned forward with a smile on his face. "Speaking of St. Antonia's, I heard you managed to get a kid from Earth sponsored and placed straight into the Magitech pipeline. Now , how'd you go on getting that done? Those fat cats usually aren't keen on letting the rabble in. Especially not a kid from… your side of the woods, if you get what I'm saying."

Hinokawa's smile took on a mischievous edge. "Ah, yes, that was a bit of a coup. The student in question is quite exceptional, and well, let's just say I have my ways of persuading the powers that be."

Williams leaned back, his expression turning thoughtful. "Exceptional, you say? I can only imagine the kind of talent that would sway those old farts. He’s must be something special."

The ambassador's eyes sparkled with a hint of pride. "Indeed. The boy is quite remarkable. A bit humble and unassuming, but his potential is undeniable. I have high hopes for him."

Ren observed the exchange with a mixture of curiosity and admiration. These glimpses into the personal lives of the important men he guarded always fascinated him, offering a rare insight into the individuals behind the titles.

"I'll say," Professor Williams commented with an easy smile. "And given what I've heard about his entrance exam, I dare say he might give that brilliantly stupid son of mine a run for his money. I do hope they mesh well as teammates."

Hinokawa chuckled, a glint of amusement in his eyes. "A healthy bit of competition never hurt anyone, Jacob. Keeps them on their toes, I say. And, he's not just any student; he's… Zane's son. The son of Zane and Kiruko."

A tension immediately filled the air as Professor Williams visibly stiffened, his jovial demeanor replaced by a more serious expression. "Zane's son? Elio, are you sure that's a good idea? Bringing him into the fold like this... Here to Terra?"

Hinokawa's smile faded slightly, replaced by a more somber look. "I understand your concerns, Jacob. But I assure you, this is not a decision I made lightly. The boy has potential, and with the right guidance, he could be invaluable in the days to come."

Williams leaned forward, his voice low and firm. "Elio, that legacy is a complicated one. I don't need to remind you of the risks involved. Are you sure you aren't playing with fire here? You know Alexei's last request was that no further involvement be allowed from that bloodline after... after what happened with Kiruko. And then there's the mess from three years ago."

Hinokawa's gaze held steady, his eyes reflecting a mix of resolve and pain. "I am aware of the history, Jacob. But times are changing, and we must adapt accordingly. Our worlds are on the brink of a new era, and we cannot afford to overlook any of the rising stars in this cohort. Given the patterns we have observed, there is a very high likelihood our existing paradigms will be obsolete in the next Descent. The current students at St. Academy possess exceptional talents and abilities, possibly surpassing those of Feynman and Nü Wa's generation. We must utilize all available resources in these uncertain times."

Williams slammed his hands on the table, "Elio, need I remind you I was there when your dying wife made you promise Kiruko that you would take care of their children in her stead?"

Hinokawa's eyes blazed furiously. "Don't you dare bring her into this, Jacob. I am well aware of my promises and my responsibilities. This decision was not made lightly. I believe in the boy's potential, and I will not let either of their sacrifices be in vain."

The room fell silent, the tension palpable. Ren shifted uncomfortably, feeling the weight of the conversation but remaining stoic and professional.

Williams took a deep breath, his expression softening slightly as he sat back down. "I understand your intentions, Elio. But please, tread carefully. We cannot afford any more mistakes like those that took Alexei and Kiruko."

Hinokawa nodded, the fire in his eyes dimming. "I assure you, Jacob, I am taking every precaution. Now, let us focus on the task at hand. We have a pressing issue that requires your expertise."

The ambassador stood up and walked over to a large screen on the wall. With a flick of his wrist, the screen came to life, displaying a series of images and data.

"Last week, on Monday evening, a dozen locations across the city were attacked simultaneously by an unknown organization utilizing highly modified Draupnir drones. These locations included high-profile companies, banks, and the personal vaults of mages holding caches of extremely valuable and dangerous magitech, mana crystals, relics and chaos beast cores," Hinokawa explained, his voice taking on a more business-like tone.

Ren watched intently, his mind processing the information.

"The attackers were highly organized and efficient, managing to make a quick getaway and slipping into the shadows across the city. They would have gotten away with it, but a pair of A-Rank Magical Girls, Hana of the Dawn and Violet Tempest, managed to intercept a single cell of the robbers," Hinokawa continued, his fingers dancing across a tablet to bring up images of the aftermath.

"The kidnappers had robbed the Central Mana Exchange escaped to the abandoned Essex Pier on Shoreline City's lower west side with three hostages: a bank teller and two students from St. Antonia's Academy whose names were expunged by Hana's request," Hinokawa pointed out the figures in the images with a grave expression.

"Fortunately, one of the students was a skilled combatant and managed to neutralize several of the drones before they could do any serious harm. Hana stated in her report that she was able to disable the remaining drones and rescue the hostages without further incident, but the attackers managed to evade capture," Hinokawa summarized, his eyes flicking towards Professor Williams.

Williams rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "That's quite the operation they had going on. Highly organized, hit multiple targets simultaneously, and managed to slip away mostly unscathed. These are no amateurs we're dealing with."

Hinokawa nodded gravely. "Indeed. The level of expertise and coordination displayed in these attacks is concerning. It's troubling to think about, but I was briefed on this for good reason as the man representing the United States of America on Terra. The tactics and weaponry they utilized were... reminiscent of those used by Earth's special forces. Of course, the prime suspects are the Black Seraph Battalion. It's highly classified information, but their signature style is hard to miss."

Ren's eyes widened in surprise at the mention of the notorious Black Seraphs. Their reputation preceded them, whispered about in hushed and admiring tones among Terra's military communities. Guilt over their eventual fates aside.

"That many?" Ren spoke up, "Pardon for speaking out of turn, sir, but if a dozen locations were hit with five to ten soldiers per squad, that would be over a hundred men. Nearly all of the Black Seraphs perished in the Chaos War, and the few survivors that remain are all middle-aged and shellshocked from the trauma of the war.”

Hinokawa glanced at Ren with a hint of approval for his observation before continuing, "Please speak freely, captain. And you are correct. The numbers definitely do not add up if we're talking about the original members of the Black Seraph Battalion.”

Ren nodded, “Plus, a good portion of them have also undergone voluntary soul compartmentalization to integrate back into society. It's highly unlikely that they would risk everything to pull off a heist like this. Nor could they find that many operators at the level of Earth's SOFCOM," Ren pointed out, his military experience kicking in as he analyzed the situation.

Hinokawa regarded Ren with a thoughtful expression before nodding in agreement. "Your observation is astute, Captain. The Black Seraphs are indeed a force from a bygone era, and it would be out of character for the survivors to stage such brazen attacks. However, the evidence at hand points to their involvement and that is the political fire I seek to contain. Of course, as you implied, we need to consider all possibilities and not jump to conclusions just yet."

Professor Williams furrowed his brow, deep in contemplation. "If it's not the Black Seraphs, then who could possibly be behind these attacks? And what do they hope to achieve by targeting those specific locations?"

Hinokawa turned back to the screen displaying the images of the crime scenes. "That is the billion-credit question, Jacob. The targets of these attacks were not random. They were carefully selected for the valuable assets they held. The robbers weren't after money or fame; they were after things that were much more dangerous."

Ren's mind raced as he considered the implications of the attacks. If it wasn't the Black Seraphs behind these well-coordinated heists, who could possibly have the expertise and motive to pull off such an operation? The puzzle pieces didn't quite fit together, leaving him with a sense of unease that gnawed at his gut.

"Moreover, it is evident that whoever orchestrated these heists had intricate knowledge of secretive magical catalysts, chaos beasts, and relics held by the local families. And... they had knowledge of clandestine projects worked on by multiple sophisticated companies, military factions like Sisyphus and Babylon. They also struck at a time where the local Magical Girls were all preoccupied with the bi-annual meetings that occur at a random date and time near the beginning of a school semester. This level of sophistication leads me to believe that we are dealing with a group that possesses highly advanced intelligence-gathering capabilities that can penetrate anti-scrying wards," Hinokawa explained, his voice tinged with concern.

Ren's mind raced as he absorbed the information. He mulled over the details, connecting the dots in his mind. Clearly, this was not just a simple series of robberies but a carefully orchestrated plan by a group with extensive resources and knowledge. As Ren delved deeper into the intricacies of the case, a flicker of recognition sparked in his eyes.

"Sir, if I may... I believe there's a possibility we must consider then," Ren spoke smoothly.

Hinokawa turned his attention to Ren, intrigued by the captain's flash of intuition. "Go on, Captain. What is it that you see?"

Ren took a deep breath before continuing, "It's true that the Black Seraphs' involvement seems unlikely given their current state. But what if this is a carefully orchestrated ploy to divert attention away from the real culprits? What if someone is using their reputation to cloak their own activities? It's no secret that a sizable portion of the Terran population distrusts the diaspora from Earth and would be quick to point fingers at the veteran community without substantial evidence. What if this is a deliberate move to incite conflict and sow discord among the different factions in Shoreline City and the two worlds?"

Hinokawa's eyes curled in contemplation, considering Ren's words carefully. "A clever stratagem indeed, Captain. And one that I have briefly considered. By framing the Black Seraphs, the true perpetrators could operate freely while the authorities are distracted chasing shadows. It would take someone with a deep understanding of the political landscape, the power dynamics, and the social fault lines in this city alike to orchestrate such a plan."

Ren's theory hung in the air, a tantalizing possibility that shed new light on the convoluted situation. Hinokawa pondered the implications of such a devious scheme, his expression growing more serious.

"So, if what we postulate is true, Captain, then we are dealing with a foe far more cunning and insidious than we initially realized," Hinokawa remarked, his gaze fixed on Ren with respect.

Ren's theory resonated in the minds of everyone present, casting a shadow of doubt over the investigation.

"Sorry to interrupt... but about these drones?" Professor Williams cut in. "Mind if I have a look at it, Elio?"

Hinokawa nodded, "Of course, Professor. We've secured the remains of four of the drones for your analysis today. Hopefully, it will provide us with some insights."

The group stood up, their chairs scraping softly against the floor. Ren fell into step behind Williams and Hinokawa as they made their way to the lab. The hallway was quiet, the only sound being the echoing of their footsteps as they approached the lab. A sense of foreboding washed over Ren again, a feeling that he couldn't quite shake off. There was something in the air that prickled at his senses, a subtle shift in the atmosphere that set his nerves on edge.

The door slid open with a soft hiss, revealing a stark room filled with high-tech equipment and screens displaying complex data that Ren could barely wrap his head around.

As they entered the lab, the scent of chemicals and the hum of machinery filled the air. Scientists in white coats moved with purpose, their eyes focused on the screens and equipment before them. Upon seeing the three enter, a hush fell over the room as all eyes turned toward Hinokawa, Ren, and Professor Williams. The room quickly cleared out of respect for the high-ranking officials.

Professor Williams strode over to the workstation where the remains of the drones were laid out, his eyes gleaming with curiosity. Its feminine features remained intact despite the damage it had sustained during the attack. Ren noted that its head had been removed messily from its body as if a high-caliber round had struck it from elevation.

Williams approached the table, his eyes scanning the wreckage with keen interest. He pulled a pair of gloves from his pocket and slipped them on before picking up a piece of the drone's casing.

"Hmm, fascinating!" he murmured, turning the piece over. "Sweet Jesus..."

As he began to examine the drone, a faint whirring sound filled the room, drawing everyone's attention. Ren's hand instinctively went to his sidearm as he scanned the room for the source of the noise. Suddenly, a panel on the wall slid open, revealing a hidden compartment.

"At ease, Captain," Ambassador Hinokawa said placatingly as he retrieved a small metallic object from the compartment. It was a sleek, silver device with intricate markings etched along its surface. The device emitted a soft pulsing light, casting an otherworldly glow in the dimly lit lab. Hinokawa studied it intently before turning to the group.

"Nothing like the labs you and Feynman run at Tenochtitlan, but the diagnostics tools here at Lenapehoking's Research sprawl are nothing to scoff at either," Hinokawa smiled wryly.

"Always looking out for a brother," Williams chuckled softly, placing the piece of the drone's casing back on the table.

Williams then turned his attention to the mysterious device in Hinokawa's hand, taking it in his own.

The professor clicked a button, and his eyes began to glow with a curious light as he scrutinized the device. The pulsing glow intensified, casting intricate shadows across Williams' face as he held it over the desiccated drone. His brows furrowed in concentration, and a faint sheen of perspiration dotted his forehead.

Ren watched the professor work, his respect for the man's expertise growing with each moment. It was clear that Williams was in his element, his mind dissecting the puzzle before him with the precision of a surgeon.

Hinokawa stood beside Ren, his arms crossed as he observed the proceedings. "If anyone can get to the bottom of this, it's Professor Williams. His work in magitech is virtually unparalleled."

Ren nodded in agreement, his eyes never leaving his charge. The puzzle pieces were slowly coming together, and he could feel the tension in the room mounting as they edged closer to the truth.

Williams continued his examination, his hands moving deftly as he inspected the drone's internal components.

"The integration of my original Draupnir line with Earth's cutting-edge metallurgy and proprietary semiconductor technology is seamless. It's a level of sophistication that's frankly troubling. Even one of these wouldn't be cheap, gentlemen. This is bleeding edge, even by Sisyphus's standards."

Hinokawa and Ren exchanged a knowing glance, understanding the implications of what Williams had just revealed.

"And these energy signatures..." he trailed off, his brow furrowing in concentration.

After a few moments, Williams straightened up, a look of determination on his face. "I'll need to run some tests, but I believe I can figure out the source of these modifications. I think we’ll be able to close in on whoever's behind this."

Hinokawa stepped forward, a glint of hope in his eyes. "That's excellent news, Professor. We'll provide you with whatever resources you need."

Williams nodded, "Thank you, Ambassador. I'll get started right away. Time is of the—"

Suddenly, the room trembled as a a rhythmic, thundering groan filled the air.

The lights flickered, and a cold chill swept through the lab. Ren's instincts kicked in as he scanned the room, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

The rumbling grew louder, and the lights flickered more violently, casting erratic shadows across the room. Hinokawa steadied himself against a table, his eyes narrowing as he tried to discern the cause of the disturbance.

"An earthquake?" Williams suggested, but his tone was uncertain. The nature of the tremors felt wrong, too rhythmic and focused.

Ren shook his head, trusting his instincts as his eyes locked on the monitors displaying the local topographical map. "No, not an earthquake. Look."

The map showed several negentropy generators, once glowing steadily, now flickering and going dark one by one.

"Fuck me sideways," Williams murmured, his voice barely above a whisper, yet it cut through the tension in the room.

Hinokawa's expression darkened, "That's impossible. The flux readings were stable just an hour ago. This is... unprecedented."

Williams stepped closer to the monitor, his eyes scanning the data rapidly. "The generators are failing critically all the way up the South River. If this continues, we'll have a full-blown Chaos Event on our hands soon, boys. A big one."

The room fell silent as the gravity of the situation settled in.

Ren swallowed hard, his mind racing with the implications of the failing generators. He knew they had no time to waste.

"Ambassador. Professor Williams. We need to get both of you underground. Now!"

1