Chapter 36
14 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ein… dos… tres… shi… hamsa… roku… saat… vosyem…

Initializing…

Synchronization level: 9

Executing Williams Protocol: Sequence Alpha

Mission Protocol: Epsilon-12

Subject: Draupnir Unit 9X-1731

 

As the blinding light faded, I was dimly aware of the sound of a hatch opening. The sensation of cool air on my bare torso and the faint hum of machinery enveloped me as I slowly opened my eyes. Blinking away the remnants of disorientation, I found myself in a sleek, round metallic pod with an open glass hatch.

I tried to move, only to realize that my limbs felt different - lighter but less responsive. Looking down, I saw thin, metallic plating and joints where flesh and bone should have been. Panic threatened to take hold for a second, but a wave of calm washed over me as a familiar voice filled my mind.

“Don’t be alarmed,” Rai-chan said soothingly. “You’re connected to the drone, but you are still physically back at the lab. These drones were designed to mimic human-like sensations, allowing for a seamless integration of mind and machine. You are in control. Just relax, Ikki. Breathe.”

Looking at my hand, I concentrated on the sensation of flexing my metallic fingers and bending the joints. It was a strange experience; it felt like I was wearing a perfectly molded glove made of some advanced material. However, the fact that I could sense my body's movements miles away from the laboratory was unsettling. It was similar to being wrapped in a suit of armor, yet still acutely aware that my body was back on campus and breathing where the drone wasn’t.

The Draupnir was fitted with a helmet interface that provided a panoramic view of the surroundings, enhancing my vision with augmented reality overlays. Several other pods similar to the one I’d emerged from were arranged in neat rows around me, each housing a dormant drone. The room thrummed with a quiet energy, the air heavy with the anticipation of what was to come. I glanced at the screens surrounding me, noting the data streams flashing by in a mesmerizing display of numbers and symbols.

A HUD blinked in the corner of my vision, displaying several statistics:

 

Unit Integrity

Chassis: 100%

Power: 100%

Vitals

MP: 113 / 154

Heart Rate: 71 BPM

Blood Pressure: 122/79

Body Temperature: 35.6°C

Belt Items

K & B Contender .600: 6 / 6

Ammo case: 50 rounds

First Aid Kit

 

I took a moment to process the information, my mind racing with questions about the unit’s capabilities. But I put that aside for now. “Rai-chan, what’s the situation outside?” I asked.

“You are in a Northern Coalition outpost beneath the location of the anomalous rift,” Rai-chan’s voice echoed in my mind. “The base has activated its defense systems against the Chaos Event. Remember: Our primary objective is to gather intel on the anomaly and any potential threats posed by a novel Aberrant.”

I nodded, absorbing the information and mentally preparing myself for the mission ahead. As I flexed my new robotic limbs, a surge of anxiety and anticipation coursed through me. I couldn’t afford to let my nerves get the best of me now, not when the fate of so many hung in the balance.

“Ii…. Ik…. c… you hear me?” Spencer's voice suddenly broke through the tense atmosphere, calling out to me through the drone’s comm link. His face appeared on my HUD with a worried expression.

"I'm here, Spencer," I responded in my synthetic, robotic tone. Despite the rush of adrenaline, my voice remained calm and detached, almost unrecognizable as my own. “What’s going on?” I continued.

I could hear the faint sound of static in Spencer's voice as he spoke, "Hey man... Good news, I was able to get you access to the base and register you as a Support Operative cadet. But we may have hit a slight snag."

"What kind of problem?" I asked nervously, my heart beating faster with worry.

“Well shit, how do I put this? The rifts showed up just as we were trying to get you out there, and the base has been breached by unknown hostiles. We had other teams try to join in after hearing we were sending someone in, but none of them have been able to successfully link up through the network.” Spencer’s voice crackled through the comms, filled with urgency.

“Other than that, it seems like the Chaos Beasts are wreaking down here, and the girls are spread thin outside trying to contain the situation with the civilians. You’ve gotta get your ass on the move and find a way outside if you’re gonna do this, Ikki.

“Great,” I muttered under my breath, feeling a surge of adrenaline course through me. It was seriously disconcerting to be so far from my physical body, but still feel the usual rush of biochemical reactions and neurotransmitters firing off in my brain.

But there was no time to dwell on the strangeness of my out-of-body experience. I focused on the task and took a deep breath, pushing aside the disorientating and eerie sensation.

“Ikki, as someone without extensive military experience, I advise you to take an approach that leans heavily on stealth,” Rai-chan said softly in my helmet. “This Draupnir model is equipped with a heavy pistol holstered on its right hip and a first-aid kit on the other side for any injured civilians and soldiers you may encounter. Use them wisely, and remember, your primary goal is to gather intelligence on the anomaly. I believe in you.”

“Look uh, please keep me posted, won’t you?” Spencer’s voice crackled with concern. “I’ve gotta focus on helping the Girls in the field and coordinate the evac. We’re counting on you, Ikki.”

“No sweat,” I muttered as I tried to wrap my head around the situation.

Spencer nodded before his face blinked out, the comm link going silent as I steeled myself for what was ahead.

I rose from the pod, my senses on high alert as I made my way towards the imposing steel doors. Despite being sealed shut, a notification flashed on my head-up display indicating that I had been granted access. With a low metallic hum, the doors slid open, revealing a briefing room illuminated by flashing red emergency lights. My nose detected the familiar smell of ozone through the sensors of my drone, while my ears picked up distant gunfire echoing throughout the facility.

The briefing room was empty, the chairs askew, and papers scattered haphazardly across the tables. The walls were lined with screens displaying maps and data streams, now frozen in a state of glitchy gibberish. The eerie red light cast long shadows that danced across the room, adding to the sense of thick foreboding in the air.

I moved cautiously through the room, my footsteps echoing on the polished floor. The only sound was the distant echoes of battle and alarms punctuating the stillness. As I approached the central console, I noticed a holographic display flickering erratically, seemingly trying to project a message.

Rai-chan whispered softly through my mind, “No good, the network seems to be fried. We’ll have to rely on our own wits from here on out, Ikki.”

With a quick nod toward the door at the far end of the room, I reached down to my hip, retrieving an oversized pistol from my holster with a metallic clack. I then took a moment to examine it closely.

The gun was a bulky, unwieldy piece of machinery, but it was seemingly tailored for my robotic hand. Its design was intricate, with an ornate decorative carving etched along its barrel. Even with the drone’s relatively large hands, it had a hefty weight that made me wonder how anyone could possibly aim accurately with such a monster of a ‘hand cannon.’

“I know, it looks quite impractical,” Rai-chan chimed in as if reading my mind. “But trust me, anything smaller wouldn’t even make a Knight-class Chaos Beast flinch. This baby packs a serious punch, but you’ll need to brace yourself for the recoil when you use it.”

I gave a reluctant nod, understanding the gravity of the situation I was about to face. Gripping the heavy pistol firmly, I checked the chamber and readied myself for whatever lay beyond the door. I pushed it open with a deep breath and stepped into the unknown, steeling my nerves.

I stepped cautiously into the corridor, my senses heightened as I scanned the area for any signs of danger. A tense silence hung in the air, broken only by the distant echoes of chaos outside. The lights overhead flickered sporadically, casting eerie shadows along the walls. I moved forward, idly running the metal fingers over the helmet that served as my headpiece.

A soft rustling noise nearby caught my attention as I navigated through the dimly lit corridor. I froze, listening intently as the sound grew louder and closer, followed by a loud slam. With a swift jerk, I pressed my back against the wall, heart pounding away from my body as I prepared for whatever or whoever was approaching. The rustling noise suddenly stopped, followed by a loud slam and an eerie silence that seemed to stretch on endlessly.

“Rai-chan,” I reached out mentally. “Can you scan the area for any life signs or movement nearby?” I whispered silently through our connection.

“Activating Analysis sequence. Scanning…” Rai-chan responded in my mind.

The effect was immediate, a soft hum resonating in my mind as the corridor lit up. It was like X-ray vision, turning my perception of the nearby area into a translucent wireframe of the facility. Rai-chan’s scan highlighted a yellow oval-shaped blob ahead around a corner, and my grip tightened on the pistol, readying myself for a potential encounter.

Rai-chan’s voice echoed in my mind. “Ikki, there is a human life signature up ahead. Proceed with caution.”

Nerves taut with anticipation, I inched forward slowly, each step measured and deliberate. The flickering emergency lights cast dancing shadows along the walls, creating an eerie backdrop to the tense situation. As I rounded a corner, I caught sight of a silhouette slumped next to a closed metal door, their labored breathing the only sound breaking the silence.

“Hey!” I called out, trying to keep my voice steady. “Are you alright?”

The figure jolted at my voice, scrambling to their feet in a defensive stance. Through the dim light, I could make out their features. It was a young woman just a few years older than me, maybe in her late teens or early twenties with tanned olive skin. She was ethnically ambiguous, with short platinum blonde hair was cut in a boyish cropped fade. Her violet eyes were furrowed in agony, dark circles betraying a lack of rest. The torn and bloodied olive-green Northern Coalition uniform clung to her body, revealing the well-trained, athletic physique underneath. With one hand clutching at her well-defined side, she looked at me with wild eyes and a mixture of fear and relief. She hesitated momentarily, her gaze flickering between me and our surroundings before finally relaxing.

“Who...who are you?” she asked, her voice trembling with relief and uncertainty.

“I’m Ikazuchi, a… Support Operator,” I replied, trying to project an air of calm, professional authority. “I’m here to assist and gather intel on the anomaly outside. What’s your name?”

“Bauer. Specialist Mila Bauer… reporting… reporting...” Her words came out in a strained gasp as she clutched her side, blood seeping through her fingers and dripping onto the ground. Her face contorted with agony, sweat mingling with tears as she struggled to speak through gritted teeth. “I… got separated from my platoon during the surprise attack. It's a shitshow out there, bodies everywhere. I don't know who's alive or dead. FUBAR doesn't even begin to describe it. Goddamn it all to hell.”

Mila winced, her gaze darting anxiously at the heavy metal door barricading us in before snapping back to me. "A Support Op? Does that mean the skirts are on their way?" Her voice held a glimmer of hope, even as the pain etched deep lines into her face.

"They're trying to control the chaos outside,” I reassured her, my footsteps crunching against shattered glass and debris as I made my way closer.

She stumbled, and I quickly reached out with my prosthetic arm to steady and catch her. The cold, metallic feel of the appendage was a stark contrast to her warm, trembling skin. “Hey, let’s get you patched up first,” I said gently, guiding her to the ground.

I wasn’t a proper… Support Operative, or whatever that was supposed to be, but I’d be damned if I couldn’t at least help one person in need.

My first instinct was to reach for the first-aid kit I always carried with me, and I quickly examined Mila's injuries. The deep gash on her side seemed serious but not immediately fatal. My head-up display (HUD) blinked with prompts, listing the purpose of each tool in the kit. With robotic arms and hands, I worked efficiently to apply disinfectant, a layer of synthetic skin gel, and then securely wrap a bandage over her wound.

Mila winced at the cold sensation of the gel but relaxed as she felt the immediate relief it brought. Her eyes flickered with gratitude as she glanced up at me, a hint of a smile tugging at her lips despite her pain.

“Dammit…” she murmured softly, her voice laced with exhaustion. “I thought I was fucking done for. Everything just went up shit’s creek in an instant before we could lock down the base.”

“We’re not out of the woods yet,” I replied. “Do you know where the rest of your squad is?”

I knew I had to prioritize getting to the anomaly outside, but I couldn’t leave a wounded soldier alone in this state. At the very least, we had to find somewhere for her to hide out until she could be safely evacuated.

Mila shook her head, a troubled expression crossing her features. “Platoon, kid. Platoon. We got separated when the bahkauvs broke through the gates and started wreaking havoc in the lobby,” Mila explained, her voice filled with worry and frustration. “I lost track of them when we broke formation and ran into the base. The LT shouted for everyone to regroup at the East Wing. Great Sky Mother above… I hope they’re fucking okay.”

I nodded in understanding, glancing around the dimly lit corridor for any signs of immediate danger.

Suddenly, a distant noise reverberated through the air, echoing off the walls and causing both Mila and me to tense up. It was a discordant cacophony of metal clanging and high-pitched chittering, growing louder with each passing second. Mila's previously calm demeanor transformed into one of fear, her hand instinctively reaching for an empty holster at her side. Every nerve in my body seemed to stand on end as the noise drew closer, filling the air with a palpable sense of dread.

“We need to move,” I said urgently, helping Mila to her feet. “Whatever that is, it’s close.”

Mila’s face turned pale as she nodded, her fear written all over her face as we quickly picked up our pace down the corridor. The sound of imminent danger grew louder with each step. I knew I was physically safe, but the feeling of vulnerability and concern for the wounded soldier crept over me as the unknown threat drew closer. The emergency lights above continued to flicker ominously, casting long shadows that seemed to dance with a life of their own.

Mila clutched her side as we hurried down the corridor, her breath coming in short gasps as she struggled to keep pace.

As we rounded a corner, a corridor ahead branched off into two directions, causing me to whip my head back and forth. We were faced with a split-second decision: left or right.

“Which way to the East Wing?” I whispered to Mila, trying to keep my voice low.

She gasped and gestured towards the corridor on our right. "We need to go this way," she said, her voice strained with fear.

“But we’ve gotta be careful. There’s a path leading back to the main gates down that way, and who knows how many of these creepy crawlies there are in here now?”

I nodded, steeling myself as we approached the intersection. The screeching sound grew louder, echoing off the walls and sending shivers down my spine. The reverberations were unnatural, and seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at once. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end as we carefully walked closer to the intersection, the sense of impending danger heavy in the air.

And then, the screeching suddenly halted.

Mila and I locked eyes, as we strained to hear any sign of what lay ahead. The dim emergency lights flickered above us, casting eerie shadows that seemed to slink and sway with every movement.

“Ping another analysis, Rai-chan,” I spoke out in my mind.

A subtle humming sound echoed through the corridor as Rai-chan ran her scan, highlighting a blob in red.

“I’m getting an energy signature, Chaos Energy.” Rai’s voice was steady. “A bahkauv is barring your path.”

A cold chill ran down my spine as I motioned for Mila to stay behind me, my hand inching towards the weapon holstered at my side. I was fortunate to never run into one, but I’d read about them myself. A bahkauv was a rarely encountered Chaos Beast, capable of tearing through tank armor like paper and spreading chaos corruption through its horns.

All the active chaos energy stored in its horns made it one of the deadliest beasts that would fall under the Baron designation, and it was nearly impossible to kill without heavy firepower or Terran magic.

The corridor ahead was eerily quiet now, the absence of the screeching noise only amplifying the tension in the air. I could almost feel the bahkauv's presence lurking just around the corner.

With my nerves running ragged, I cautiously peered around the corner, my senses on high alert.

What I saw sent a jolt of sheer terror through me. It was a nightmarish sight that made my blood run cold.

I had never seen a bahkauv before, but the sight of it was enough to chill me to the core. It was a grotesque, bovine-looking amalgamation of chitinous metal and flesh, with long, conical spider-like legs that clicked and clacked as it moved. Its body was covered in shiny, chitinous armor, and its four eyes glowed with a malevolent blue light. Its horns were twisted and jagged, gleaming with a sickly blue hue in the dim light.

The emergency lights above reflected off its jagged, serrated horns as they continued to flicker overhead, casting an eerie glow over the monstrous creature as it lumbered down the corridor toward us. Its mouth opened in a guttural snarl, revealing rows of jagged, metallic teeth shaped like knife blades that glistened in the dim light. It almost seemed to smile a clown-like smile, its lips pulled back in a grotesque parody of joy.

I could feel my heart pounding far in the distance as I slowly backed away, trying to remain hidden from the creature’s view. I quickly grabbed Mila and flattened us against the wall, pressing a finger to my helmet to signal for silence. Mila’s eyes widened in terror as she saw the bahkauv’s shadow draw closer, scraping the floor with that horrible screeching noise.

“Rai-chan, what do I do?” I thought as we crouched there, barely daring to breathe. My heartbeat only intensified as the monstrous bahkauv tilted its head in the air and snapped its head toward our hiding spot.

“Use Raijin’s Familiar to summon me, I can lure it away from us,” Rai-chan’s voice whispered in my mind, her words tinged with urgency. “Quickly, make yourselves as small as possible and I’ll handle the rest. Take Miss Bauer the opposite way once I give you an opening.”

“Got it,” I replied silently.

With a surge of resolve, I raised my hand and focused on Rai-chan’s presence within me. I felt a strange energy building up inside me, a pulsating force that seemed to radiate from my core. Closing my eyes briefly, I visualized Rai-chan’s form, willing her to appear before us.

Suddenly, with a flash of light, Rai-chan materialized in the corridor as a shimmering orb of crystal floating just a few feet away. The orb began to spin, casting prismatic rays of light that danced across the walls as it darted from around the corner and past the monster. I peeked around the corner as the bahkauv’s eyes flickered toward the source of the light, its monstrous form pausing as it seemed momentarily captivated by the spectacle.

Then, with a burst of blue light, Rai-chan’s orb transformed into an illusion of a young girl clad in an orange sundress and straw hat. She taunted the bahkauv with a playful giggle, “Hey ugly! You’re slower than a three-legged turtle in quicksand!”

The bahkauv let out an enraged bellow, its eyes fixated on the illusion of Rai-chan as it charged forward, its razor-sharp teeth gnashing in anticipation. At the last moment, Rai-chan’s illusion vanished into thin air in a flash of light, causing the bahkauv to slam headfirst into the wall with a deafening crash. Rubble and dust filled the corridor as the creature shook its head, momentarily stunned by the impact.

“Too slow!” Rai-chan reappeared and stuck out her tongue, taunting the bahkauv as it recovered from its collision with the wall.

The Chaos Beast snarled and lunged towards the illusion, only to find itself crashing against the metal walls once more as Rai-chan blurred to the side.

Rai-chan chuckled mischievously, her voice echoing through the corridor, “Looks like someone fell for the oldest trick in the book! Can’t catch me, can you, big guy?”

The bahkauv chittered in frustration, its metallic teeth clashing together as it struggled to keep up with Rai-chan.

With a sly grin, she beckoned the creature to follow her, leading it away from the corridor that would take us to the East Wing.

“Last chance!” Rai-chan called over her shoulder, her laughter echoing down the corridor as she danced just out of reach of the bahkauv’s grasping claws.

The creature chittered in frustration, its massive form barreling after Rai-chan as she effortlessly avoided its every strike with nimble grace.

I wasted no time, grabbing Mila’s arm and helping her to her feet. “We’ve gotta go, now!” I urged, pulling her in the opposite direction. We raced down the corridor, the sounds of the bahkauv’s enraged roars fading behind us, along with Rai-chan’s mischievous giggling.

“I’m still here with you, Ikki,” Rai-chan reminded me as her presence pulsed reassuringly in my mind. Keep moving. I’ll try to ensure the bahkauv doesn’t double back and draw away what else I can.”

I quickened our pace as we weaved through the maze-like corridors of the base. The emergency lights continued to flicker overhead, casting long shadows that seemed to reach out for us as if trying to pull us back into the darkness. Mila surged ahead, her movements fluid and calculated as she expertly guided us through the winding paths of the base. Each turn felt like a race against time as we pushed ourselves further and further towards safety.

After a few minutes, we reached another intersection, pausing momentarily to let Mila catch her breath. The soldier leaned against the wall, wincing in pain but managing a weak smile.

“That was... pretty fucking awesome. But what the hell was that thing you summoned?” she asked, her eyes wide with awe and curiosity.

I hesitated, unsure how to explain Rai-chan's abilities. "It's a type of custom magitech we developed at St. Antonia's," I said vaguely, not wanting to reveal too much about her. "It creates illusions that can distract or confuse enemies."

"Custom magitech?" she repeated incredulously. “With all due respect, that sounds like a crock of shit. A Draupnir unit wouldn’t be able to channel an activated illusory spell like that from a distance. It defies the conventional limitations of its systems and mechanics.”

I gave a nonchalant shrug, keenly aware that there were still many things about Rai-chan that I didn’t even understand. “Well, it seems like this one can,” I replied with a small smirk, trying to downplay the significance of Rai-chan’s extraordinary abilities.

Mila regarded me with skepticism and curiosity before sighing and nodding in acceptance. “Tch. Forget it. Alright then — custom magitech it is, kid. Let’s keep moving before that thing circles back on us.”

We continued down the corridor, our footsteps echoing off the metal walls as we hurried towards the East Wing.

As we moved further into the complex, the hallways twisted and turned, eventually leading us to a chamber filled with various geological tools.

Brightly lit screens displayed intricate maps of underground tunnels and caverns, while colorful crystals and Chaos Beast cores lined the shelves, casting a rainbow of hues across the room. My eyes widened in wonder at the sight, momentarily forgetting the danger lurking outside.

However, I stopped in my tracks as my eyes landed on a table at the center of the room. It was a familiar sight that sent a shiver down my spine—a dented and totaled feminine proxy drone. It was missing its head, and its arms and legs were sprawled out in all directions.

I recognized the drone — it had been disassembled and wrecked beyond repair, but it was unmistakable. It belonged to the enigmatic, absolute psycho of a woman who had nearly killed me the day of my orientation. As I stood there, momentarily lost in thought, the scene took on a surreal air. The chaos of the base was temporarily forgotten as I stared at the wrecked drone, my mind drifting back to that fateful day when I’d met Midori and Dior.

There were coincidences, and then there were piling coincidences that were just plain uncanny.

“So hey, uh, what exactly is this place for?” I asked casually as I nervously looked around me.

“The base was a research outpost set up to monitor the water levels and Aberrant activity further down south,” Mila explained between breaths as she waved me toward a door at the back of the room. “The geologists and engineers here study environmental changes caused by the rifts from Mag 1 and 2 events in more active nearby regions.”

“Keep close, Ikki,” Rai-chan whispered in my mind, a gentle reassurance that renewed my focus.

“As a Field Magitech Engineer for the Coalition, my main tasks involve conducting surveys and creating geological maps, as well as providing assistance with reconnaissance and gathering intelligence. However, our top priority is always to contain and document any Aberrants we come across, while also reporting information back to the Hammurabi Nexus.”

“Sounds like a big job,” I commented as I followed her through the room.

“I actually wanted to study this stuff formally and become a desk jockey after my current service tour ended. Maybe I’d join these nerds and geologists as a certified Magitech assistant away from danger, you know? Figures I’d run into all this before I even got to the fun parts of the job.” Mila sighed, her voice tinged with frustration.

I nodded, taking in the information as we approached the door Mila had indicated. “And the drone?” I couldn’t help but ask, my gaze lingering on the familiar damaged machine. It was the same drone that had been used by the woman who had taken me hostage. I was sure of it.

Mila sighed, “That’s classified, unfortunately. We received some kind of big shot VIP to take a look at it before everything went up shit’s creek today. It was supposed to be hush hush, but the guy showed up with half a Company of elites from the Confederacy, but it seems like they’re not too keen on sharing their intel with us grunts.”

She shot a pointed look at the wrecked drone, her expression darkening. “That thing’s clearly been through hell and back, though. Can’t say I’m not curious what all the fuss is about.”

I was about to press further, but Mila held up a hand to stop me. “Look, this isn’t the time to get into details like pet projects and fancy toys,” she said firmly, her eyes scanning the room warily. “We’ve got more pressing issues at hand. Let’s focus on getting out of here first.”

She pushed open the door, revealing another corridor leading down towards what I assumed was the East Wing.

“Getting the eggheads to safety was the first priority,” she continued, her voice strained as we moved forward. “Most of them headed off toward a deep underground bunker attached to the base. But with the breach, I don’t know if they managed to lock it down in time.”

I felt a twinge of concern for the scientists and engineers in this base. “Let’s hope they did,” I muttered, keeping a watchful eye on our surroundings as we pressed on.

“My platoon was headed towards the primary armory when the breach happened,” Mila continued, her voice growing more strained as we navigated the dimly lit corridor. “If we can make it there, we might find some of my squadmates... or at least some real firepower.”

She looked at the gun holstered on my hip and gestured toward it. “You ever fired one of those before?” Mila asked, a hint of skepticism in her voice.

I tightened my grip on the gun, feeling its weight in my hand. “I’ve had some training,” I replied, trying to sound more confident than I felt.

In all honesty, most of my experience with firing weapons involved hitting stationary targets in a controlled setting with my dad and Uncle Blake. Sure, I had faced some intense situations while traveling with my family's convoys, but it was nothing compared to the real terror of facing Chaos Beasts in a Terran military base.

“Training, huh?” Mila quirked an eyebrow. “Seriously? You’re not busting my chops are you?”

“Yeah, uh... Well, maybe a hundred hours of range time, give or take. My dad had always been adamant about being able to handle myself in a pinch. I’m not much of a shot, but he made sure my sister and I knew our way around firearms,” I shrugged, a flicker of nostalgia crossing my mind.

Mila chuckled. “St. Antonia’s, was it? Sheesh. Gotta say I didn’t expect to meet a Skirt’s glorified hall monitor with firearms training of all things. How long have you been a Support Op?”

I glanced at her, briefly considering how much to reveal. “Not long,” I admitted, deciding that honesty was the best policy in this situation. “I... I wasn’t originally supposed to be in the field. Unfortunately, I’m the only one who can assess the rift outside of the base.”

Mila studied me for a moment as we walked, her expression unreadable. “So that would make you…. Sixteen? Seventeen?”

I tensed at her words, feeling self-conscious of my age and inexperience. “Fifteen,” I confirmed, swallowing hard as I tried to push aside the doubts creeping into my mind.

My companion nodded, a mixture of surprise and concern flashing across her features. “Damn, kid,” she muttered under her breath, her gaze flickering towards the distant sounds of chaos echoing through the facility. “And they sent you into this? You’ve got guts, I’ll give you that. But let’s face it, this situation is far beyond anything they could have prepared you for.”

I knew she was right - I was just a kid caught up in a situation spiraling out of control, with terrifying dangers far beyond my limited experience. But I couldn’t afford to dwell on my doubts now; people were counting on me to keep them safe and secure valuable intelligence, and I couldn’t let them down.

We hurried through the corridors, and the sounds of distant gunfire and chaos grew fainter as we followed the signs and approached the armory — a heavy steel double door looming ahead.

“Hold on. Something’s wrong,” Rai-chan’s voice suddenly echoed in my mind.

I paused mid-step, my heart quickening at Rai-chan’s warning. Mila must have noticed the change in my demeanor because she immediately crouched low, her eyes scanning the shadows for any sign of movement.

“What is it?” she asked.

I squinted at the door as my HUD lit up, highlighting the left side of the double door. The door was ajar, and I quickly realized that there were scuff lines around the edges of the metal frame.

Someone, or something, had forced their way through.

“Looks like we’re not alone,” I whispered to Mila, pointing at the door. “Uh, should we circle around the other way and… I don’t know, get you to the bunkers?”

Mila frowned, considering our options. Then, she shook her head adamantly.

“It’s risky, but I think we have to chance the armory,” she murmured, her hand instinctively moving to her empty holster. “Going back now means we risk running into more trouble without any weapons. We’d be sitting ducks.”

I nodded, my eyes steely as I readied myself for whatever lay beyond the breached door. I tightened my grip on the heavy pistol, silently hoping that my limited training would be enough to keep her safe and keep me from being violently thrown back into my own body. Or whatever hell of a dreamscape I’d just left.

We cautiously pushed open the heavy door and stepped into the dimly lit armory. Sinister shadows danced across rows upon rows of racks filled with weapons and ammunition.

“This place is… huge. What gives?” I asked, taking in the impressive sight in front of me. It looked like a warehouse more than a remote outpost armory.

Mila’s eyes darted around the vast armory, her expression tense as she scanned for any signs of movement. “It’s a contingency measure,” she explained quietly, her voice barely above a whisper. “In case the region ever faced a full-scale attack as in a Magnitude 5 event or worse, I mean. They set up multiple distribution points to arm the populace and shelter them as quickly as possible. Of course, this won’t do much for anything nastier than an ayakashi or bahkauv, but it’s something.”

The armory was filled with massive weapons, seemingly more appropriate for taking down helicopters or tanks rather than for use in human infantry battles. The walls were adorned with towering mounted rifles, the glint of their barrels catching the dim lighting. Stacks of ammunition crates stood ominously in the corners, thick-barreled shotguns leaned against metal shelves, and rows of heavy-duty pistols sat neatly arranged on display.

Mila chuckled as she stepped forward and surveyed the intimidating arsenal. “Those Earthmites across the portal might be more trouble than they’re worth… But at the end of the day, they sure know how to put together some nifty toys,” she remarked, her tone laced with a grudging respect.

I flinched at the casual drop and implication of ‘Earthmites,’ but there was no way Mila could know I was from Earth. I kept silent, knowing that commenting on it was probably a bad idea.

My eyes scanned the array of firearms again, noting their sheer size and impracticality for anti-personnel use. These weapons were clearly designed with a different kind of threat in mind.

“We should grab what we can and get on the move quickly,” I suggested, trying to keep my voice steady. “You said your platoon was going to rendezvous here?”

Mila nodded, her eyes scanning the vast armory with a sense of urgency. “Yeah, we were supposed to meet here if anything went south,” she confirmed, her voice tinged with concern. “But with the uglies pouring through the gate, I don’t know if they made it in time or what condition they’re in. They might be at the other side.”

She moved deftly between the weapon racks before settling on an oversized heavy-duty shotgun, its barrel gleaming under the dim lights. Mils hefted it with a grunt, checking its weight and balance before loading it with a practiced ease.

“I’ll grab this beauty,” she said, a hint of a smile tugging at her lips as she felt the familiar weight of the weapon in her hands. “Anything catch your eye?”

I paused, my gaze lingering on the rifles. They were far larger than anything I’d trained with and seemed impractical for me to carry, even with the Draupnir.

“I’ll, er, grab an extra pistol,” I replied, reaching for a heavy pistol similar to the one that came with the drone I was piloting. Once Mila was reunited with her team, I needed to travel light for my mission. I figured it would be good to have a backup option, just in case.

As I reached for the hand cannon, a sudden screeching noise echoed through the armory, loud and jarring in the heavy silence. Mila and I froze, our heads snapping towards the source of the sound. It was a crash like something heavy had been knocked over.

Mila spun around, her shotgun at the ready, scanning the shadows for any sign of movement. I moved my hand to my holster, moving to the side to cover more angles with my vision.

Another crash sounded closer this time, followed by a low growl that sent shivers down my spine.

Suddenly, the sound of a desperate, booming gunshot from deeper within the armory echoed through the room, followed by a guttural scream that chilled me to the bone.

Mila and I exchanged a quick glance before wordlessly springing into action. We moved in sync, our bodies tense with anticipation as we navigated through the maze of weapons and equipment. The dimly lit armory was now filled with a sense of urgency and danger that hung heavily in the air.

As I crept along the aisles of weapons, my heart pounded in my chest, each step echoing in the tense silence of the armory. The air grew thick with anticipation, the metallic tang of blood mixing with the smell of gun oil and sweat.

A sudden movement caught my eye, and I whipped around, raising my pistol in one fluid motion. But there was nothing there. Just shadows dancing along the edges of my vision, teasing me with their elusive forms.

We rounded a corner, only to stumble upon a scene of horror that would haunt me for the rest of my days.

The floor was littered with the lifeless bodies of soldiers, their limbs and faces unrecognizable due to the brutal injuries inflicted upon them. The walls were decorated with blood, a macabre representation of the violence that had occurred. My entire body lurched at the horrifying scene, but my disembodied state made it impossible to give in to the urge to vomit. I struggled to stay focused and come to terms with what I was looking at.

Mila’s face was a mask of shock and horror, her eyes wide and unblinking as she took in the gory scene.

She lowered her shotgun, her hands trembling. “L-lieutenant Aniwaya? Sergeant Cummings?” she called out in shock, her voice barely audible. "Danny... Danny isn't here."

The air was thick with the scent of blood and death, and I could hear the distant sound of... heavy breathing?

“Rai-chan… run.... run an Analysis of the scene,” I reached out as I crouched down, feeling disconcerted by the lack of nausea and violent emotional response I knew I should have. My HUD flickered to life, showing the carnage in high-resolution detail as I scanned the area.

“Analyzing... A large creature, with the approximate size and mass of a bull, has swept through this armory, butchering everything in its path,” Rai-chan reported in a tense voice. “They were cut down while trying to arm themselves. There is a single blood trail leading away. The acoustics of the gunshot indicates it came from the far end of the armory. We need to be cautious and prepare for a fight.”

I nodded, swallowing hard as I took in the grisly scene before us. My gaze landed on a shotgun similar to the one Mila had, laying discarded on the floor. I checked if it was loaded, relieved to find it was still fully loaded.

A man’s wail suddenly echoed through the armory, sending shivers down my spine. It was a sound of unimaginable pain, a single note stretched thin with a dying agony that seemed to seep into my soul.

I exchanged a quick look with Mila, who was staring at the blood trail with horrified eyes.

With a shared nod, Mila and I moved cautiously, our footsteps echoing in the vast, empty armory. Rai-chan lit up my HUD with a path pointing to where the blood trail led, guiding us through the narrow corridors of the armory.

The sound of heavy breathing grew louder as we approached the source of the gunshot. Rounding a final corner, Mila gasped and rushed forward in a sprint, just as my helmeted gaze landed on an injured young Native-American man’s face, his body sprawled out on the cold, metallic armory floor.

He had a shaved head, a short black ponytail braid, reddish-brown skin, and golden eyes lying on his back. His torso was horribly mangled, exposing a horrifying red mass of muscle tissue, fat, and organs. He had a discarded shotgun similar to the ones we were carrying nearby, and his breathing was ragged and labored. His golden eyes scanned the room for an escape, panic, and desperation etched in the lines of his young face.

Mila quickly dropped to her knees beside him, her face etched with concern and fear.

“Danuwoah,” she gasped, recognizing the wounded soldier. “Oh sweet Ruler above. What happened here?”

The soldier’s eyes flickered with recognition as he looked up at Mila. “M-Millie,” he rasped, a weak smile crossing his lips. “I’m… I’m glad to see you’re safe.”

Mila’s eyes filled with tears as she took Danny’s hand in hers. “I’m here, Danny. I’m here. Just hang on, we’ll get you out of this.”

Danny shook his head weakly, his gaze distant. “No... no time. It found us... a bahkauv. We... we it got the drop on it. Tried to hide and ambush. But it... it was...”

“Hush,” Mila interrupted, her voice trembling. “Don’t speak, save your strength.”

Mila whipped her head to me, her eyes filled with a desperate plea. “You! Give me your first aid kit. Now!”

I quickly unhooked the kit from my belt and handed it to her. Mila tore it open, her hands shaking as she tried to find something, anything, that could help.

Danny reached out, grabbing her wrist gently. “Save it, Millie. It’s not going to help. I’m... I’m not going to make it.” He breathed heavily through his labored breaths.

Mila’s eyes widened in disbelief, tears streaming down her face. “No, no, Danny, don’t say that. You’re going to be fine, just hold on.”

He gave her a weak smile, his eyes glistening with unshed tears. “Remember when we were kids, playing in the forests back home? We’d pretend we were Magitech Soldiers, fighting off a Juggernaut single-handedly? Spirits above and below, I wish I could do that one more time... just one more time.”

Mila nodded, her voice cracking. “Yes, Danny. We will. Please, hold on,” she whispered, tears streaming down her face.

Danny’s smile grew faint, and his grip on Mila’s wrist weakened. “I’m sorry, Millie,” he whispered, his voice barely audible. “I should have been better, stronger. If I had just been… half a second faster, you wouldn’t have had to see this.”

Mila sobbed, clutching his hand tightly. “Don’t talk like that, Danny. You’ve always been there for me, always looked out for me. I... I can’t lose you now. It’s not fair. We’ve come so far.”

The mortally wounded soldier’s eyes flickered with a sad smile. “I’m proud of you, Millie. I always have been. You’ve become everything we knew you would be. Just... just keep fighting, okay? Get out of here. Get to that university you always dreamed about. I need to know you’ll be okay.”

Mila’s tears fell onto his face, mixing with the dirt and blood. “I’ll be okay, Danny. I’ll be okay. I promise. Just... hang on. I promise.”

Danny’s breaths grew shallower, and his eyes slowly closed. “I’m sorry, Millie. I’m sorry I won’t be there to see it. But I know you’ll make it. You’re so—so...”

Mila shook her head, her voice a choked whisper. “Don’t leave me, Danny! Please, don’t leave me!”

But it was too late. Danny’s hand went limp in hers, his chest still. Mila let out a heart-wrenching sob, her body wracked with grief as she clutched his lifeless hand to her chest.

A sudden rumble snapped me out of my reverie, a low hum that seemed to faintly vibrate through the air around us.

My HUD flickered, and Rai-chan’s voice echoed in my mind, “Ikki, we have incoming!”

My heart hammering in my chest, I whirled around to face the looming figure of a bahkauv lurking in the shadows. Its massive form cast eerie silhouettes across the dimly lit room. Without hesitation, I raised my shotgun and aimed for the creature's head. The blast of my shot rang out like a deafening clap, causing the bahkauv to screech in pain and stumble backwards, its metallic body glistening with an alien crystalline shimmer. As it emerged fully into the light, its eyes burned with a sinister blue glow, revealing its true deadly nature. Despite missing a foreleg and half its carapace, it was still a deadly monster - a Chaos Beast that could butcher us with ease. With monstrous steel claws clicking against the ground, it advanced on us with unnatural movements.

Mila’s head snapped up, her eyes blazing with fury as she grabbed her oversized shotgun. “You… You fucking bastard! You’ll pay for that!”

She fired the shotgun at the creature, tearing a chunk out of its metallic hide with a satisfying crash. The massive recoil sent her stumbling backward, but she quickly regained her footing and stood her ground, raising the weapon again.

She unloaded her weapon into the injured bahkauv, each shot echoing through the armory with a thunderous roar. The creature stumbled under the barrage, its armor cracking under the onslaught. I raised my shotgun to assist and aimed at the creature’s head once more.

As I pulled the trigger, time seemed to slow down. My HUD lit up with a flurry of warnings and statistics, but all I could focus on was the sights over the creature’s eye.

Something was wrong. Very wrong.

In that instant, I could see the pain etched on Mila’s face, the anger and sorrow. I could see the fierce determination in her eyes and how she held her weapon steady as she continued to fire. I could see how the creature flinched and twitched with each impact, its metallic form beginning to show the cracks of impending defeat. And I could see the way Danny’s body jerked with each pull of the trigger, the memory of his final moments playing out in my mind’s eye.

 

…Wait.

 

I blinked, my mind reeling as I realized what I was seeing. Time seemed to crawl to a complete halt as I watched in horror, the scene before me unfolding in a nightmarish slow motion. Rai-chan suddenly highlighted Danny through my HUD, the image of his violently jerking body superimposed on the present moment.

Danny’s body, which should have been lifeless, was twitching, convulsing with an unnatural rhythm. His once golden eyes suddenly snapped open, now glowing with an eerie blue light, mirroring the bahkauv’s gaze. His teeth gnashed together, frothing at the mouth with a snarl as he quickly rose to his feet.

The fallen soldier’s body contorted, his features twisting into a grotesque parody of his former self. His skin paled, becoming translucent and veined with that bright blue corruption that haunted my childhood nightmares. His jaw unhinged in a flash, revealing two rows of razor-sharp teeth.

Mila was oblivious to the horror unfolding behind her, focusing entirely on the bahkauv as she continued to unload her weapon into the beast.

 

I knew I had to act fast.

 

In a desperate bid to save her, I sprinted forward, shouting, “Mila, behind you!”

A surge of despair washed over me as the words left the drone’s synthesizer; I knew deep down that I was too late. Too far.

Danny, or what used to be Danny, was already on top of Mila, and I could only watch helplessly as Mila spun around half a second too late. Her eyes widened in terror as she desperately tried to aim her impractically large shotgun at the creature that was once her friend, teeth inches from her throat.

Blood splattered across the floor as the weapon’s thunderous report echoed through the confines of the armory, coupled with a flash of red light, the sound of tearing flesh, and a sickening, gurgling gasp.

1