Chapter 16 The Blacksmith & “Sons”
150 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a few weeks having passed since his meeting with his grandfather to discuss the mill, John had been in an especially good mood. The meeting with the engineers passed swimmingly and the amount of praise they heaped on John was a bit much. While he knew that he was smart, they most likely laid it on thick to get in good graces with his grandfather. A plan that probably did work to ingratiate themselves to William.

 His lessons with Eli were still progressing well. Most of the boy's studies had progressed to a more difficult level equivalent to those being taught to sixteen-year-olds. And while being 3 years below the current standard for the level of education they were receiving they learned much but ended up with less time on their hands than before. 

Despite that, John had a day off of his lesions and was going to the local blacksmiths. The man, Mr. Felix Everson, had been the blacksmith that his grandfather had been going to for almost two decades. John was on his way to check on the order of grain cradles that he put in near the end of winter.

Riding on a pony from the farm by the manor he approached the large wood and stone structure next to a smaller house. The larger stone house had three smokestacks with two billowing smoke like a lit pipe. Approaching a fence post near what he assumed to be Smith's workshop he hops off the horse with only a little awkwardness and ties up his steed.

Approaching the building he is met by the unmistakable stench of charcoal, turning a corner around the house he sees a large open barn door. Stepping into the room he sees little and starts to look around. 

“Hello,” he asks into the void of the building, “anyone there, I'm here to check on the grain Craidles I ordered.”

The room is quiet before a crash is heard to his left. This startles John who picks up a sword and holds it in an en guarde stance like Alois taught him. Then out of a pile of crates and barrels pops a head, then next to it comes out a second smaller head. 

“Who are you again,” the first voice says, it is slightly deep but still has a hint of youth on it. 

“He said he is here for the weird scythe things, that must mean he is Mr Carpenter's son,” the second head said with a youthful but more feminine voice. 

“Uh, yes. My name is Johnathan Carpenter, who on God’s green earth are you two,” John asks getting more confused by the second.

The first head walks out of the shadows and into the light. The person who emerges doesn't look to be older than 15 but whose face is slim with rosy cheeks, dirty blond hair, and blue eyes. 

The second person who walks out slightly staples John, a girl looking to be about 14 follows the boy, her hair is the same blond color as the boy and while they share many distinct facial traits her visage is slightly narrower and leaner than the teenager's.

“Hi, I'm Miles Everson, and this is my twin, Matilda Everson,” the boy says smiling and pointing to him and what John now realized was a girl who was the same age.

John stood there in science before the girl proceeded to smack Miles upside the head, “I can introduce myself you halfwit.”

Before the two could get into what John assumed would be a fight he interrupted, “SO, can I see the tools I ordered a few months ago.”

This immediately snaps the two out of their feud and Miles rushes off to a nearby shelf while Matilda walks over to John.

“This device was a tricky one to get right, I tried to get it to work dozens of times and it kept snapping every time,” she said making some motions with her hands to indicate frustration. “But eventually I remembered that a trapper who worked with natives remarked that they only use white ash in their canoes due to its strength, It was then I released my problem.” She paused for a second and took a small but audible breath, “I thought the structure was bad but once I started using the correct wood it only needed a few tweaks and it was done.” 

Just as she was finished speaking Miles reemerged with a grain cradle in his hands. With a smile on his face, he said “And voila here is your tool, we already are producing half a dozen more and you should have around thirty by the time harvest rolls around.”

As John lifted the tool it felt like he was king of the world. In his hands was the first invention that he created by himself, it felt liberating and triumphant. Without thought, John rushed outside to a nearby field of grass. The twins not knowing what was happening followed him.

Reaching the field John rolled up his sleeves, gripped the handles on the cradle, and swung at the grass. It cut through the blades like a knife through soft butter, the severed sod stacked neatly in the hands of the tool. John continued to slash for a few more minutes before a large swath of the plain was cut and the leftover grass was stacked neatly by his side. Walking over to the twins who were standing by the field he wore a smile that beamed with pride. 

“Well, that was unexpected,” Matilda said looking slightly shocked at what just happened in front of them. 

“What do you mean,” John asked genuinely confused about what she meant by that statement.

Miles stepped forward, “I mean you are the heir to the largest fortune in the British Americas, and yet you just did fieldwork with a smile on your face. You must realize the absurdity in that.”

John stood there before letting out a small laugh that grew into a bellowing chuckle, “I suppose it is rather funny.”

This put the two teens at ease as the three of them walked to the forge. Handing the tool to Miles he left them with him and Matilda alone.

“Not to be rude, but there aren't many women I know who would take up a job in the forge. Then again I don't know many women, but the point still stands.”

This seems to catch Matilda off guard with the casualness of the statement, “Yes, my father taught me and my brother from a young age. He was always better at working with the larger tools, shaping metal, and other tedious work. I was always the one coming up with new ideas for us to test out. I know it's silly but one day I hope that everyone in the colonies will know me for some great invention of my own.”

This makes John smile a bit, “That's a good dream to have, you seem to be very skilled and I hope that one day it comes true.”

This seems to confuse Matilda more than she already is, “You don't seem bothered with me being a woman in a man's profession.”

“Bah, for all my life the only person who can make my grandfather, whom I know to be one of the most forceful men in the colonies, to stand down is my mother.”

This makes Matilda giggle for a bit before Miles returns from the back, “So Mr. Carpenter is that all the business you have here today.”

Right before he was going to turn his head and leave an idea popped into his head. In the coming years, he may need a team of skilled researchers and engineers so why not test these twins to see if they are worth cultivating a relationship with? 

“I have one more proposition for the both of you if you would be willing to hear me out,” 

“What is it,” Miles asks

“Who is it for,” Matilda follows up with.

“This is another tool that I want built and I wanted to see if the two of you could build it for me.”

“Okay, sure,” they both say almost immediately.

Pulling out his journal he flips to a page that he earmarked a while ago and shows it to the duo whose eyes immediately widen when they see it.

Almost in unison, they said, “When can we begin.”

8