Chapter 8: How MireWorld Works
472 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Burns attentively listened to Lisa's worries, particularly her troubles with loan sharks demanding an astronomical sum of money she had no way to escape from. She also mentioned that she needed additional funds for extra tuition and daily expenses.

"That's a tough situation. If you're asking me to go after real-world mafia, I have to decline. Stirring up trouble isn't really my area of expertise," Burns replied.

"No, what I'm asking is, can you find a way to make three million dollars in MireWorld? I assume we can transfer that money back to the real world, can't we?" Lisa questioned. She based this assumption on the fact that Burns' weapons and car had made their way into her possession.

"You're correct about the money transfer, but Lisa, making three million dollars is no simple feat, even for someone like me," Burns responded.

"Why not? You managed to afford this BMW, didn't you?"

Burns shifted uncomfortably in his seat, pausing for a moment and taking a deep breath. The low, comforting rumble of the BMW's engine filled the silence. "Yes, I bought this car after completing what I considered low-risk contracts in MireWorld. I mostly dealt with unarmed thugs, working indirectly for various governmental agencies, cartels, and mafias using my hacking skills. I have zero formal military training, just so you know," he elaborated.

He adjusted the rearview mirror to make eye contact with Lisa. "When I first stumbled into MireWorld, I was as lost as you are now—maybe even more so. My background is in computer science; I'm no combat medic or trained soldier. My only edge was my ability to code and understand technology."

Burns sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Look, I do make money in MireWorld, but I've always played it safe. I've never had any formal training in combat like you have. My entire modus operandi in MireWorld revolves around sitting safely in my bulletproof Corolla, behind a computer screen. Does that clarify things for you?"

Lisa's eyebrow shot up, piqued with interest. "So, you're saying you've never actually been on the front lines?"

Shaking his head, Burns clarified, "I have, but not in the way you might think. My role was more along the lines of reconnaissance and intel gathering. I'd use my coding skills to mess with city infrastructure, predict enemy movements, and identify their vulnerabilities. I'd then pass this information on to contractors I hired for the job. Essentially, I was the hacker and information broker. It can be a lucrative role, if you're good at it."

"A hacker with a gun does have a certain ring to it," Lisa mused.

Burns grinned. "Exactly. If a transformer suddenly explodes, plunging your hideout into darkness while you find yourself locked in your room, you can pretty much bet that I orchestrated that scenario. The muscle I hire would then move in to complete the job."

Lisa furrowed her brow, puzzled. "This world is bizarre. Your activities are essentially criminal, yet you seem to evade law enforcement. How does that work?"

Burns shrugged, a sly smile forming on his lips. "Who says things have to make sense here? In this parallel world, I can heal from broken bones in a matter of minutes thanks to medical pods. The law enforcement? They're not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. They operate on something like video game logic—you know, like the cops in GTA. They tend to forget about you after a while."

Lisa paused, her expression a blend of astonishment, skepticism, and a hint of amusement. "Video game logic, really? I never thought I'd see the day where something like that applies to real life," she said, her laugh tinged with disbelief.

Burns chuckled back. "It's surreal, isn't it? MireWorld is this strange fusion of different realities, video game mechanics, and—oddly enough—some elements of real-world consequences. Believe it or not, MireWorld is like a multiverse where all game worlds converge."

Lisa's eyes narrowed, concern lacing her words. "But isn't that risky? Even if the police in MireWorld are, let's say, less than competent, there's still a tangible risk of getting hurt or caught. Don't you worry about that?"

Burns looked Lisa squarely in the eyes, his expression turning serious. "It's true, the risks are monumental, but the potential rewards can be just as staggering. Plus, I've always taken a calculated approach, staying in the background, manipulating situations rather than diving into combat. The key to surviving MireWorld, for me at least, is never forgetting that every action has consequences."

Lisa nodded, her eyes reflecting a newfound determination. "Well, given my current mess, I can't afford to be choosy. If partnering with a 'hacker with a gun' is what's needed, then I'm in."

Burns broke into a smile. "Great to hear. You bring something to the table that I lack—combat experience. I've got the tech know-how. Together, we might actually pull this off. But we should consider recruiting a crew from the real world, people who won't act like NPCs."

Lisa chuckled. "NPCs? So, you really do view this place like a game world, huh?"

Burns grinned, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "Well, consider this: people actually respawn at hospitals here."

Lisa's eyes widened in disbelief. "Respawn? As in, actually coming back to life? That's... beyond surreal."

Burns nodded. "It's one of MireWorld's many quirks. But there's a catch. The NPCs, or non-player characters, come back with no memory of what happened, as if they were reset. In fact, I just greeted the mafia guys you took down last night. They had zero recollection and one claimed to be just an average office worker."

Lisa held up a finger, interrupting him. "And what about us, the real people?"

Burns paused, choosing his words carefully. "If we die in MireWorld, we do come back. But it takes ten years."

Lisa's complexion went ashen. "Ten years? So you'd essentially disappear from the real world for a decade? People would assume you've vanished."

Burns nodded solemnly. "Exactly, and that's one of the harshest penalties of MireWorld. While NPCs can instantly reset, we're stuck waiting for ten years. You become a missing person in both worlds. By the time you return, life in the real world has moved on without you."

Lisa took a deep breath, absorbing the weight of Burns' revelation. "That's a horrifying thought. But even knowing this, why did you still venture into MireWorld? Wasn't it too big a gamble?"

Burns leaned back in his seat, locking eyes with Lisa. "Sometimes, the biggest risks offer the biggest rewards. But never underestimate the value of calculated decisions and risk management. It's what's kept me alive and profitable so far. The question now is, are you willing to take that risk with me?"

Lisa sighed heavily, the weight of their situation pressing on her shoulders, causing her blue eyes to shimmer with anxiety. "It's going to be a long and treacherous journey, isn't it?" 

Burns, a tall, lean man with graying hair at the temples, gave her a reassuring smirk. The city lights illuminated his chiseled face as he looked at her through the mirror. "Hey, with you, it will be a piece of cake.”

She chuckled dryly, her fingers fidgeting with the pendant around her neck. "You overestimate my abilities, Burns.”

His eyes twinkled with amusement and a hint of pride. "I know potential when I see one.”

Lisa tilted her head, her lips curling up in a soft smile. “I take that as a compliment.”

He nodded, tapping on the steering wheel. “But now, let’s get back to the real world.”

Confusion marred her features. “Huh? Why? I thought you were going to help me get some moneys.”

Burns glanced at the dashboard, his fingers drumming a nervous beat. “With you being involved in this mess, or opportunity, from the sound of it, I am responsible so you can use the app.”

She leaned back, exhaling sharply. “Alright, let’s get on with it.”

He turned the engine off, plunging the car into momentary silence. “First of all, let’s return to your apartment first. I’ll explain the rest via phone.”

Lisa raised an eyebrow, her curiosity piqued. “Wait, I want to stash the weapons here, not in the real world.”

Burns reached into his coat pocket, retrieving a sleek black device. “That’s why I’m here. Open your menu, and select [Store Items & Return To Original Position] so you can store the items in the loadout menu.”

Her face went a shade paler. “And I’ll arrive butt-naked at my apartment?” She asked, her voice a mix of concern and amusement.

He chuckled, a deep rumble that echoed in the confines of the luxurious car. “Not really. Your essentials clothing will stay with you until you took them off, and it will disappear into your loadout menu. Just press it and you’ll be back at your apartment.” 

“I trust you, Burns.” 

Then, as Lisa pressed the button, the flash of blinding light appeared just right before her eyes. Before she knew it, she found herself sitting down in the sofa of her apartment building, still wearing her uniform, minus the ballistic vest and the helmet. She still wore the balaclava though. 

[All items and vehicles have been returned to Burns. Loadout A has been saved in the inventory]

She opened her inventory and her loadout menu. It appeared that the rifles, the vest, minus the car were stored there. At least, there were no more illegal things in her apartment anymore. She could take a deep breath and relax. Her equipment was all there, as expected. 

[Loadout A] [15 Kg]

• PGC Army Uniform  + Balaclava (Equipped)

• Standard Military Ballistic Vest + Items

• ULACH Helmet

• Balaclava

• Remington M700 : .300 Winchester Magnum

• 1911 : .45 ACP

• Assault Backpack +  Items

She didn’t quite understand what Burns meant when her clothes would disappear if she changed it into another one. She headed for her wardrobe and changed it into her pajama, and just like that, when she put the clothes on a hanger, it was just gone without any trace of its existence. 

“I should really stop using my logic for the MireWorld. Nothing makes sense,” Lisa slammed her wardrobe close. 

8