Chapter 17: Another Casualty, Burns
37 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lisa parked her car in the lot, nestled among other students' vehicles. She couldn't help but notice Burns' Corolla, bullet hole-free, thankfully. Her mind wandered to the man responsible for prepping her for her maiden heist. What if he had landed himself in the hospital? Well, if that were the case, it was MireWorld's hospital, so he'd likely be back in a jiffy.

Kyla, with a mischievous glint in her eye, chimed in, "Hey, isn't that Burns' car?"

Lisa switched off the engine and popped the trunk open, replying, "Indeed, it is. Let's retrieve the box from the trunk. How many boxes are we talking about?"

Kyla responded, "Just a single 120-liter plastic container."

Lisa raised an eyebrow, jesting, "Are we running a pharmacy now?"

"Sort of," Lisa shrugged.

Lisa made her way to the back of the car and grunted as she hoisted the hefty container in her hands, its weight seemingly exceeding half her own. She let it thud onto the ground, revealing stacks of boxes inside. It begged the question: Were they genuinely running a pharmacy here?

She quipped, "Are we suddenly handling a mass casualty event?"

Kyla, her tone playfully light, quipped back, "From the peppers? Not quite, but they probably made the food poisoning a whole lot spicier. What's your take?"

Lisa paused, her gaze fixed on the substantial container. "It's not just the peppers, that's certain," she mused. "Spices can cleverly mask the taste of spoiled food, luring people into consuming something they shouldn't. It seems like someone might have harnessed the heat to conceal the subpar quality of the food, and now we're witnessing the fallout – a potential food poisoning outbreak. So, in a sense, we're indeed dealing with a mass casualty event, one more about carelessness than Capsaicin."

Kyla playfully jabbed, "Bloody ISB agent. You folks are masters of drawing conclusions, aren't you?"

Lisa chuckled and quipped, "No, it's just a straightforward deduction." She then nudged the container onto the ground, maneuvering it through the rows of ambulances towards the campus's main building.

Upon entering the campus, the groans of pain were already audible. In the hallway, numerous individuals clutched their stomachs, writhing in discomfort. The campus encompassed four buildings, encircling a spacious courtyard complete with a park, basketball court, and football field. Over by the park, Lisa spotted a TV crew, encircled by both police and paramedics.

In the open hallway of the campus, several students lay prone, with IVs hooked to their hands, while police officers stood nearby, conducting their inquiries. Lisa couldn't muster much interest in the ongoing investigation. After all, they weren't going to culture the bacteria in the food to apprehend the culprit. It was a simple case of negligence, nothing more.

A paramedic in the customary blue uniform, sporting a name tag on his shirt, approached them. He halted their progress toward the table already set up for student evaluations. Lisa felt mildly irritated, as it was situated right behind the paramedic blocking their way.

"Did you bring the additional supplies from the hospital?" inquired the paramedic.

"No, we're the ones responsible for dispensing medicines to the students. We're students of Professor Hwang," Kyla responded, then introduced Lisa, "This is Doctor Elenhard, and I'm Doctor Lombard. We're here to distribute medications for the food poisoning."

With a polite nod, Lisa and Kyla navigated around the paramedic, proceeding to the table that had been set up as an impromptu triage station. The area buzzed with activity as other volunteers and medical staff attended to the affected students. Lisa efficiently organized the medicines on the table, while Kyla managed the documentation process and checked the vital signs of each individual seeking treatment.

"Government healthcare cards, please," Kyla requested of each student as they approached, her voice carrying both authority and reassurance. The students reached into their pockets and bags, handing over their cards to confirm their identities and ensure accurate billing for the medications they were about to receive.

Lisa worked quickly, moving from one student to the next, her examination thorough yet efficient. "How long have you been feeling this way?" she would ask, checking for signs of dehydration and the severity of gastrointestinal symptoms.

One by one, she dispensed the necessary medications from the array they had brought. For those with cramps and diarrhea, she provided Loperamide to slow the movement of the gut. She handed out Metronidazole to those with symptoms suggesting a more severe bacterial infection.

Antacids were given to ease heartburn and indigestion, while Acetaminophen helped reduce fevers and manage pain. Simethicone was offered to those complaining of gas and bloating, and Cefixime was reserved for suspected severe cases of bacterial infection that required antibiotic intervention. She gave the full dosage, some last for only one day or so, while other lasted for more than a week.

Kyla was beside her, keeping track of what was given out, ensuring that those with allergies or contraindications didn’t receive medications that could harm them while also noting what was dispensed so she could give back the report to Hwang so the government would pay for the medicines dispensed.

Speaking about cards, those who didn't have their cards were given a sympathetic look by Kyla. "I'm sorry, but we need your card to process any medications," she said. "You'll need to get it, or we can't give you the treatment here." Some students nodded and hurried off, while others looked distraught, unsure of where they had misplaced their essential IDs.

Amid the controlled chaos, Lisa's eyes caught a familiar figure on the examination table. It was Burns, looking a bit disheveled but otherwise unharmed. His sudden appearance sparked a mixture of relief and curiosity in Lisa. So, he got the ache as well, but why didn’t he go to the MireWorld?

"Burns, I didn't expect to see you here," Lisa said, her voice tinged with genuine surprise.

Burns offered a half-smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "Wouldn't miss it," he said, though his tone suggested it wasn't entirely his choice. “Free food is free food, and I’m pretty much hungry. And, here I am." He held his stomach in pain also, but Lisa questioned why he didn’t go to MireWorld hospital to get treatment from the medical pod, but with Kyla here, she wouldn’t ask that.

"Government healthcare card?" Kyla asked automatically.

“Here you go,” Burns opened her wallet and gave Kyla a green card as she measured his blood pressure.

“What happened here anyway? You seem to have a full-blown pandemic as far as I am concerned,” Lisa quipped while waiting for Kyla to examined Burns’ vital signs.

Kyla nudged Lisa with a smirk, "You know, this might be the one time those 'I survived the hottest chili pepper' t-shirts actually mean something. Surviving today gives you bragging rights for gastrointestinal fortitude, because I don’t know what the fuck you ate."

Burns groaned lightly, not fully appreciative of the humor under his breath of discomfort. “It was a scene straight out of a cautionary tale about bargain buffets,” he started, grimacing as Kyla tightened the blood pressure cuff. “All you can eat, they said. It’ll be fun, they said. Until the bathroom became the hottest club on campus.”

"Alright, Burns," she said, her voice a mix of warmth and professionalism. "We'll start you off with a rehydration solution. It's crucial to replace the fluids and electrolytes you've lost. Then, we’ll go for a round of Loperamide to manage the diarrhea. That should slow things down and give your system a bit of a break."

She reached for a packet of oral rehydration salts and handed it to him, along with a bottle of water. "Mix this in and sip it slowly," she instructed.

Burns nodded, his hands a little shaky as he tore open the packet. Lisa then prepared a dose of Loperamide, sliding the pill towards him with a cup for water.

"And for that stomach pain and bloating, we have Simethicone," Lisa continued, picking out the appropriate medication. "This should help with the gas. I’ll give you Metronidazole for a week, if it doesn’t heal up, go to the hospital, alright?” Lisa gave the package to Burns, even though she knew he would eventually go to the Mireworld.

Then, Burns got closer to Lisa’s ear, making her uncomfortable, then he whispered, “My phone is in a jiffy. Would you kindly go to the MireWorld on Sunday morning, meet the contact at Cafe Talon at ten? With my stomach being like, well, this, I won’t be able to go there.”

“Dude… this is the second time,” Lisa replied, annoyed, because Kyla already directed her smirk towards her and from her eyes, it did look like some romantic exchange as if he just gave her a kiss on her ear. “How important is this contract for you?”

“Very important, you’ll see.”

“How about the pay?”

“I get an eighth, you get the rest, deal?”

“Fine, but I want everything ready for next Sunday.”

“Deal.”

The corner of Lisa's mouth twitched in annoyance, not just at Burns' presumption that she would be his errand runner, but at the implication Kyla was drawing from their whispered exchange. Kyla's chuckle, loaded with innuendo, didn't escape her.

"It's not what you think," Lisa said flatly, meeting Kyla's amused gaze with a raised eyebrow. She passed the Metronidazole to Burns, her actions professional and devoid of any intimacy that Kyla might tease about. "Just student stuff," she added, hoping to deflect further probing.

Their banter was interrupted by another wave of students coming in for treatment, drawn by word of mouth that medications were being dispensed efficiently at their station. Lisa and Kyla sprang into action, the lightness of their exchange giving way to the gravity of their work.

As the hours wore on, the initial chaos subsided into a manageable flow of patients. The police had cordoned off the food area, and health inspectors had arrived, taking samples for analysis. The TV crew packed up, their sensationalist coverage complete for the moment, leaving the real work to the medical professionals with no medicines left to dispense.

Lisa lost count on how many patients she managed to treat, but it was more than one hundred. All that were left was for her to go home back to her apartment, pay her tuitions, and figure out what to do with the mafia next. Overall, everything went according to the initial plan of getting enough money, with a little bit of setback.

Lisa packed up her equipment back into her backpack, including her stethoscope, and her name tag. She closed the empty plastic container and lifted it up into the table. The previously dehydrated student had mostly gone home, with prescription meds on their pockets.

"So, do you have any other matters to attend to, or would you like to join me for some Dunkin'?" Kyla inquired.

"Sure thing, coffee sounds good, along with some well-deserved sleep," Lisa added.

Kyla chuckled, "Yeah, I get you. If you're all set, we can pack up and head there."

"Sounds like a plan," Lisa slung her backpack over her shoulder and hefted the container from the table. They retraced their steps back into the hallway.

The Accord still sat in the parking lot, though most of the ambulances had departed. Lisa opened the trunk, stashing both the container and her backpack. She then settled into the passenger seat, while Kyla took the driver's seat.

"Alright, let's go."

 

4