sister who returned from America
1.9k 4 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Jiwoo, would you like to have tteokbokki together after school?" Someone gently pressed my shoulder as I was preparing to get up after class. It was Hayeon, with her hair styled in two ponytails, wearing a sweet smile. She was a friend from the neighborhood whom I had known since high school.

Somehow, we ended up attending the same university and majoring in the same department, so we started spending more time together. Perhaps due to our frequent outings, even people we didn't know didn't hesitate to ask if we were dating.

But Hayeon and I don't have that kind of relationship; we are just friends. We share a lot in common, so we often hang out together, but there are no romantic feelings between us. It's not a trivial relationship like some might assume, especially since Hayeon had several boyfriends in high school. 

I want to emphasize once again, we are nothing more than friends.

"I'm sorry, but I think I'll be a bit busy today."

"Busy? Han Ji-woo, who seems to be the calmest person in the world, is busy?!" Hayeon was surprised, wearing an expression that indicated she never expected to hear that. In reality, the reason why Hayeon and I became friends was quite simple. Hayeon loves to play, and since I usually had some free time, I could join her in playing frequently.

"Hey, I told you, my sister is coming today."

"Sister? Do you have a sister?" 

I've mentioned it several times... I recall mentioning it not only last week but also just a few days ago. 

I told her that today I was going to pick up my older sister at the airport and that we couldn't go out together... 

In fact, the deep beating of my heart didn't stop. How long has it been? It's been seven years since I last saw her.

At first, she said she was going to study in the United States, but even after graduating from university, she didn't return to Korea.

She said she couldn't come because the business she started as a student was performing better than expected.

I don't know the exact details, but she started a business in a mall, and I believe she hasn't been able to visit Korea since then due to her focus on growing the business and establishing herself.

Now that she has adjusted to some extent, she says that it has been too long since she was in Korea and that she will return this time. I don't know how long it will take, but the thought of seeing my sister after such a long time fills me with excitement.

"Today is my sister's return day, so I have to go to the airport."

"Hmph... So, do I have to play alone?" Suddenly, her shoulders slump. Then she starts pretending cries, and I say:

"Pretending to feel sorry won't help. I really can't do it today." 

I've known her for almost 5 years, I can tell what she's thinking just by looking at her face, so I immediately knew she was joking.

"Tch, that didn't work"

Why doesn't she go out with other people? I found it strange for her to get upset over something like this, especially since she was sociable even if not with me, unlike me. Even if not with me, she could invite someone else. 

After bidding her farewell, I quickly boarded the bus to the airport.

....

I have an older sister who is 8 years older than me. While in many families, siblings often engage in arguments, our relationship has been remarkably peaceful. Perhaps owing to the substantial age gap between us, conflicts have been rare occurrences. 

Of course, there were moments when I made mistakes and my sister scolded me, but those instances were solely due to my errors. We have never had a disagreement escalate into a fight, as we respect each other's opinions and always find common ground.

My older sister always took good care of me, her little brother. Since I was young, I often relied on her. Dad was frequently away on business trips abroad, and Mom was usually late for work. Perhaps that's why I spent most of my time alone with my older sister. She was very mature, and if she studied, exercised, or pursued hobbies, she encouraged me to do the same.

Because she excelled in every aspect, I instinctively placed a lot of trust in her. Specifically, she was exceptional at academics, and as a result, my older sister frequently helped me with my studies. Perhaps that's why I consistently achieved grades around the 10th percentile throughout elementary school. In comparison to my older sister, I was less mature and less talented in various areas.

My parents consistently praised my older sister, and due to her responsible nature, they placed their trust in her to look after me. When she informed me about her plans to move to the United States, I couldn't help but cry profusely. 

She wasn't just my older sister; she also played the role of a mother in my life. I persisted for a long time, pleading with her not to go"

37