Chapter 4
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We emerge from the door something isn't right, we should be in the back ally of the town but instead I notice we seem to be in the quad of some university. I look around and see buildings made of bricks some 3 stories high with beautiful stain glass windows, and dark steal roofs. In the center of the quad was a statue of a man with long hair wearing what looks like a kilt he was holding a massive two-handed sword in a defensive stance. I look at the rest of my surroundings and see a few other people my age wandering around the campus.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"This is Taurus University the most exclusive college in north America." Roland said with a big smile.

"Ok well how did we get here?" Asked Elizabeth.

Roland looked at her with a tinge of amusement "Well through the door of course" he exclaimed.

Elizabeth looked irritated "No seriously how did we get here."

Ring ring

Roland reaches for his pocket pulling out his phone he looks at it and sighs.

"I'm sorry kids but I'm late for another meeting one of the students will be along shortly to help get you settled I will check in with you tonight." Roland raised his had moved his fingers and snapped

before me or Elizabeth could ask him anything he vanished.

"What the hell was that?" I looked at Elizabeth confused.

She looked dumbfounded "I have no words."

I stood there for a moment Trying to understand what I just witnessed arriving at this school and Roland vanishing.

"Well, what do we do now?" I looked to Elizabeth for an answer.

She paused for a second moving her hand to her chin deep in thought.

"I guess we wait for the student coming to guide us, I think wandering around this place wouldn't be the best idea."

I nodded in agreement. A few more minutes passed by, and we still were standing on our own I was about to suggest we go looking around, but then I hear someone calling over to us, in a relaxed happy tone.

"Hey, you wouldn't happen to be Lance, and Elizabeth?"

I look over and see the guy who was yelling he must be at least 6 foot 4,  lanky limbs he had long curly hair on the top of his head and shaved down on the sides. He was wearing tight black pants, black dress shoes, and a nice dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up halfway his forearms. In one had he had what looked to be a fruity cocktail, and in the other a cigarette. He started heading toward us.

Elizabeth stepped forward "And who are you supposed to be?" she said with a bit more attitude than I think she meant.

He took a sip from his drink and looked at both of us "Now, now I wont bite my name is Aaron" he said with a sly smile.

He was giving me a laid-back drama kid vibe.

"Yah I'm Lance, that's Elizabeth sorry about the attitude, we had a rough time last night" I said rubbing the back of my head.

Elizabeth gave me an angry look I got the message, don't apologize for me is what she was trying to say with that glare.

Aaron cocked one eyebrow up "Oh a rough night, alone in a van just the two of you I'm sure it was awful" he said in a jokingly.

I could feel the blood rush to my ears "that's not what…I didn't mean." I blurted out

He held up his hand with the lit cigarette extending his pinky up and gave a light grin.

"I'm just poking a bit of fun don't…".

"How do you know about my van?" a look of distrust went over Elizabeths face.

Aaron didn't miss a beet "everyone on campus knows about your van, we had to be on standby in case the great Mr. Griffin needed help, he had one of the other teachers drive your van here." He paused to take another sip out of his drink.

He looked at me "Would you like to try a taste? one of my friends here makes immaculate drinks" he said holding out his glass to me.

"No thanks, I'm fine for now." Probably not the best idea to take drinks from people I just met on the other side of a magic portal.

He sighs "No fun, well anyway" he continued "your van will be here after the tour so let's get it over with, I have a party to prepare for." He said motioning us to follow.

I look at Elizabeth she nods in agreement we follow Aaron down the sidewalk until we reach a set of four massive 2 story brick buildings, Aaron stops and turns to us on his heel.

"These soul sucking buildings are where most of your classes will be held, for math science and any other basic college courses you decide on taking, some exceptions though. We don't offer everything. Any questions from the group" he said as if speaking to an audience.

"So, what we can earn an actual degree from this school?" I asked I mean id never heard of Taurus university.

"Well what did you think it is a college. try and keep up." Arron said in-between puffs of his cigarette

That wasn't a good enough answer.

"Come on, this cant be an actual school your teacher fights monsters and uses magic, and I've never heard of a school with a teacher like that." I'm becoming tired of not knowing what is happening I need answers.

Aaron must have picked up on my exasperation he sighed and took another puff from his cigarette.

"Taurus is one of many universities that only admits those special few who they want, and they only appear as small community colleges on paper not to arouse suspicion, how they do it don't ask me." He stopped to look at his watch.

"Any other questions?" he asked impatiently.

"What else will we learn here, and how many other schools are there?" Said Elizabeth finally speaking up.

"That will all be covered in orientation two weeks from now. So can we move on." Aaron said tapping his foot on the ground arms crossed.

"2 weeks? We just graduated we still have 2 months before school starts" I argued.

"Yah different kind of school" Aaron said turning on his heel waving us to follow.

We hurried to keep up as he continued explaining other building's we passed, the cafeteria, the on-campus coffee shop and a few other stores. Then we went by the dorms, and he showed us our rooms, wed be on the same floor and her room was a few doors down the hall from mine, we couldn't see the inside of the dorms yet Aaron said we can't go in why the cleaners are in there.

"Why?" I asked, I don't know about Elizabeth but after the night in the van id like to make sure my place to sleep tonight would be nice and comfy.

He smiled "Well the cleaners don't like to be bothered and are known to kill those who interrupt their work"

I gulped "Seriously?"

He laughed "You scare easily, cute." He paused "no not really they just get annoyed if you bug them."

He started walking towards the stairs.

"Keep up you two we still have a few more stops to make." He called over his shoulder.

After walking down, the sidewalk we passed the pool a restaurant that served pizza until 3AM a theater for drama club, a gym, they even had an arcade on campus Aaron said the dean was a huge nerd and could usually be found there. After a few more minutes we went around the corner.

My eyes went wide with amazement in front of me was a courtyard with a massive obelisk and three of the most amazing buildings id ever seen, the walls looked to be made of marble and the roofs Made of obsidian. The one on the left looked like the roof was in the shape of a dome with golden writing carved into it, I couldn't make out the words, The next building had a slanted roof, and its walls had gold carving all over it, they looked like they depicted a war, The last building looked like a sports arena the size of most college football arenas, only made out marble with the words projice tergum engraved on the entrance to the stadium.

"This is the library." Aaron said walking us over to the domed roofed building, "Its off limits right now since the school year hasn't started, but I can promise you will be in here at least twice a week researching for your classes, so enjoy it now because you will grow tired of it." He ended with a bored expression.

He started walking towards the building in the center.

"This is Breac hall where you will find every professor office, the deans' room, and a banquette hall we use for school sanctioned events, like dances." Aaron said waving us along like we are moving too slow for him.

Finally, we make it over to the sport arena.

"This is the stadium or coliseum thats what some of us like to call it, this is where mock battles take place in between schools, and other extracurricular activities that might require its uses." Aaron said in a sarcastically enthusiastic tone.

"Mock battles?" I ask.

"Yah, I told you its not a regular school, we actually have a great battle team go highlanders" he said with a sarcastic tone "try and keep up good looks will only get you so far" he said teasingly with a wink.

I blush.

Elizabeth speaks up thank you I think to myself. She looks mad.

"Highlanders huh, that's real original who is the brainiac that came up with that?" she said this time giving the exact amount of attitude she needed.

"Oh, you know the founder, there's that giant statue of him where you guys were waiting, he had a kilt kind of looked like a highland warrior." He retorted with a look of approval on his face, like he enjoyed Elizabeth arguing with him. He looked at his watch.

"Would you look at the time, lets get you two back to the dorms your rooms should be ready." He said motioning us with his arms pushing us down the sidewalk.

We make it back to the dorm building. Elizabeths Van is parked in the front parking space closest to the dorm, we head over and grab our bags out of the van. Aaron waves goodbye,

"I've got to go help my roommates set up for our little event tonight, I'll be back later to check in on you two try not to get into trouble" he said as he walked off.

We headed into the building and head up the 4 flights of stairs to where are rooms are, once we made it to our floor, I took a second to look around there were probably at least 20 different rooms counting mine and Elizabeth's. And there were two separate common areas each with a tv surrounded by a couches and recliner a few tables with chairs, a pool table, and a dart board.

I head towards my room; I look down the hall and see Elizabeth head into her room with her suitcase. I decide to do the same. I open my door to the room and realized these rooms couldn't be possible it had a full kitchen a dining area for 4 people a massive living room, and a nice huge window overlooking the quad. I noticed 4 doors in each corner of the square living room I look in each one of the rooms they each came with a bed, dresser, 1 nightstand, a tv, and a closet. They also each came with an attached bathroom. I picked my room and began to unpack.

After a few minutes I finished getting unpacked I went to go check on Elizabeth. Before I could reach her door, I heard an unfamiliar voice call out.

"Mr. Neilson, I presume."

I turned and saw two people the first was an older man probably in his 50s with short curly black hair with a touch of grey and a neatly trimmed beard to match, he wore a nice black suit with a red dress shirt and a black tie it had that weird, knotted symbol again.

The Girl next to him looked to be around my age, she had a black beanie hat on that covered most of her hair,  her hair from what i could see was black with the ends dyed blue, she had dark makeup on and a small stud nose piercing, she wore a leather biker jacket with a black generic rock band shirt, black jeans, and biker boots.

"Yes" I said slowly backing towards Elizabeth's door.

The old-man Smiles "Don't be afraid" he started "My name is Dean Evandar, and this is another student Ms. Burns who had to come stay with us a little earlier than we had planned. Just like you." He paused and looked at the girl.

"Well say hello Alexandria." He motioned for her to step forward.

"I told you its lexia, Oldman." She starred down the Oldman with an angry smile.

The old man threw his hands up "Right, right my mistake won't happen again." He looked genuinely scared of her.

Elizabeth must have heard the commotion she came running out with a steal beam that looked like it came off the frame from her bed in the dorm she jumped in between me and the others holding the pipe out defensively.

"Just who the hell are you two," she looked to me "you ok?"

I nodded, "Yes Elizabeth this is the dean." I said embarrassingly.

Elizabeth's face turned beat red "I'm so sorry." She blurted in a panic tone. she started trying too hide the pole behind her back.

I can't blame her though after the night we had I'm a little bit jumpy myself, but it looks like she must have ripped apart her bedframe to get a weapon where did that strength come from.

"It's quite alright, Ms. Marandi" said the Dean Still holding his hands up with an exaggerated smile. I heard him say something about this year's students being the death of him or something. Like that.

Lexias eyes beamed at Elizabeth she smiled and stepped forward "I like you; you look like you know how to have fun red." She extended her hand to Elizabeth. "My name is Lexia"

Elizabeth's eyes widened "Uh thanks, my names Elizabeth" she reached out and shook Lexias hand. Lexia looked over to me a bored expression returning to her face "Hi you already heard my name so I'm not going to repeat myself."

"Yah no worries My names Lance." I said extending my hand out to her. A few moments pass and she reluctantly shook my hand.

After an awkward silence a thought started in my head this is the dean he has to be knowledgeable about a lot of things, maybe I should tell him about my dreams, but before I could speak up, the Dean spoke.

He went on to talk about how he knows this isn't how we expected are summer would go, and that he is late for a meeting but will take us all out to breakfast in the morning and answer some of our burning questions. He started to raise his hand fingers ready to snap.

I was losing my chance "Wait sir I think I need to talk to you about something." I said walking over to him.

He held up his other hand "I apologies Mr. Nielson, but it will have to wait I have a very important meeting." He snapped his fingers and vanished.

Sigh I guess I don't have much of a choice.

After a few seconds lexia grabbed her bag headed toward the same dorm room that Elizabeth was assigned to.

"What rooms are your guys?" she said turning to look at us from down the hall.

I pointed to the door a few feet down the hall on the right.

Elizabeth called down "the one you're standing in front of."

Lexia gave a cocky smile "Lucky me, this place might not be too bad." She winked at Elizabeth and headed into the room.

Elizabeth started blushing again.

"You good?" I asked with a giggle.

"Yah she's just uhm…..Different" she managed to say.

"Yah she's something alright." I said though I thought terrifying fit better than different. I look over to the dart board just down the hall.

"Hey, let's go play a round of darts." I said pointing down the hall.

"You're on, race you!" she said taking off, I tried to win but she's way too fast, like she's not even human she's already got the darts in hand by the time I get there.

We played a few rounds and then started watching some old movie on the tv about a shark terrorizing a community. Not too long after we started watching we heard someone coming from down the hall. We turn and see Lexia walking over.

"Sorry Didn't mean to interrupt your private couple time" she said walking over to the recliner and taking a seat.

"Oh no were not, he's not." Elizabeth stumbles over her words. I've never seen her this nervous talking to someone.

I Spoke up "We are definitely not dating, just been friends our whole life."

Lexia seemed to sigh like she had been holding her breath in anticipation for an answer. She smiled at Elizabeth.

"So those dorm rooms make no sense they're way too big for how close the doors are together don't you think?"

I paused and looked at the doors I can't believe I didn't see it the dorms should only be big enough for 2 beds and a few other pieces of furniture, but the rooms are massive with bedrooms, 4 baths, a full kitchen and living room. The silence must have been awkward because Lexia spoke up

"So how did you two ends up here?" She asked us.

We began telling her about our plan to travel the country for summer vacations, and our encounter with the ghouls in the small town, and eventually are running into Mr. Griffon, she listened intensely without making a sound.

"How about you?" I asked, "how did you get here?"

The color left her face she looked away from us and grumbled. "I was on the run for murder."

Me and Elizabeth looked at each other nervously, this began to sound like the beginning of a horror movie. New mysterious girl admits to murder to two random people she just met in a massive empty building no witnesses.

She looked up and must have seen the look on our faces she spoke up "its not what you think." She paused took a breath and continued.

"There was this weird guy who arrived at my town. Just your plane old boring looking middle aged man that worked in an office building. He gave me weird vibes, so I stayed clear of him, but he started following me around, and one night he confronted me while I was walking home from work."

She looked like she was going to throw up.

"Are you ok you don't have to tell us if its too hard." Said Elizabeth.

Lexia nodded "no I'm ok, when he confronted me, he said something about needing a sacrifice, to summon something. Then he started to change his eyes turned black he grew fangs, his skin turned grey, and he attacked, I got lucky and only got a few scrapes I some how managed to stab him in the chest with my knife."

She pulled her jacket to the side revealing a knife tucked into the inner pocket of the coat. I flinched, she ignored my reaction and let her jacket fall back into place.

"Anyway, he turned back to normal after he died and someone must have heard us fighting because I heard them call out, I knew how it looked so I ran. Three days later Dean Evandar. Found me and brought me here." She ended her story.

Elizabeth looked at her in pity, but before she could say anything the door to the stairwell burst open.

Bang

We all jump our heads spin scanning to see what was coming through the door, I gave a sigh of relief Aaron began to walk through the doorway. With what looked to be a woman her skin a shade of blue, her ears where pointed, and her eyes had pure red pupils like ruby's. She wore a baseball cap a loose green sweater with the word Highlanders written on it, and black leggings

"I've come to save you from your boredom. Please hold the applause." Aaron exclaimed holding up his arms as if to hush a crowed of cheering fans.

We all looked at each other in confusion I then look over to the girl who came in with Aaron the words spilled out.

"Are you an elf?" I asked feeling stupid for asking such an idiotic question. Elves aren't real I thought.

She smiled "Now Aaron, I thought you said this one only had looks, he seems plenty smart to me, my name is Nox Flos, and I'm a night Elf" she said extending her hand out to me as she walked over.

My mouth drops open "Wait elves are real!" I shout.

Aaron sighs "Yes elves are real as well as many other creatures you thought were made up, but you will get an explanation from the dean himself."

"He's Just curious." Said Nox in a calm tone as she walked over and kissed Aaron on the cheek.

"Hello you said your here to save us from boredom?" Lexia interupted.

"Oh and who might you be?" Aaron asked.

"Names Lexia, and you?"

"Aaron, well I was planning on only bringing these two to our little event, but i suppose you can come as well." 

"Sounds good as long as there will be drinks, because damn i could use one." Elizabeth chimed in.

"Sweet can't wait to have a drink with you be like a first date." Lexia said winking at Elizabeth.

"Date?" Elizabeth said in a weak tone.

"Oh, i like you, you can definitly come." Aaron said giving Lexia a golf clap.

"Hold on" I blurted out i looked over to Nox "Your seriously an elf?"

Nox turned her head to look at Aaron. "Come on, i can give him a quick rundown."

Aaron turns his head and whispers playfully to Nox "Sweetie, they'll learn it all at orientation," he looked over to us "Besides tonight we party."

We didn't have a choice they walked over grabbed all three of us by the arms and dragging us along. We made our way down the sidewalk across the quad and over to a section of streets set up like a neighborhood with each house having enough yard to have activities, like one had a swimming pool, another an archery range. Nox said each club in the school has their own house. Aaron and Lexia started talking and seemed to be getting along quiet well.

We walked a few more minutes until we reached a massive log cabin at that bordered the woods with a wraparound patio that had a roof covering it, it had colorful lights hanging around like it was Christmas. And random lawn flamingos each wearing an awful Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses, Aaron turned on his heal and held at his arms to stop us from going any further.

"This is the Bellum club house the members of the club get to move in here, if they want out of the dorms. These parties can get wild no taking any drinks that glow weird colors, and if a pixie offers you a cigarette don't try it." he paused and turn to look at us "That is if you want to be functional by the beginning of the school year." 

"What is a Bellum club?" asked Elizabeth

Aaron smiled "it's the most popular sport in school, Its Latin for War We hold mock battles with other schools Bellum clubs and see who wins."

Elizabeth eyes light up. "So, there is a club that's all about fighting people?" She asked

Aaron looked weirded out "yes but there are rules were not barbarians." He paused looked at us, "just go have fun and don't do anything I wouldn't."

"That's not good advice at all." Nox giggled.

Shh 

"Sweetie, they don't need to know how bad of an influence ill be." He whispered in her ear the waved us to follow along as they entered the house.

We made it through the front door the house had a staircase a few feet in front of the door leading to the bedrooms on the second and third floor. to the right of the front door was a massive kitchen with black cabinets and marble counter tops, Aaron and Nox went to join a group of their friends doing Keg stands. Through there was the dining room, but right now it was being used for beer pong.

Lexia grabbed Elizabeth by the hand and pulled her over.

"We got next" she shouted.

Elizabeth turned to look at me "I guess well be here for a while."

"I'll give you two sometime alone, I can navigate a party just fine on my own." I gave her a reassuring smile she mouthed thank you. This is the first time she's ever been on a somewhat date with a girl.

I headed down the hall that seemed to lead to the left side of the house a massive living room with a few sitting areas with couches and bean bag chairs, a massive tv over a stone fireplace, a bookshelf filled with old books, and a bar tucked over in the corner near the door to go out to the Patio. I Head over to the bar.

I grab a beer from the ice bucket on the bar counter and I feel a tap on my shoulder, I turn to see the most beautiful girl I had ever seen she had short silver hair and beautiful blue deep blue eyes.

"Hi" I said with a smile, she just looked at me grinning.

"Uhm what's your name?" I continued starting to get nervous. She just stared at me. I hear someone call my name; I turn to see Aaron on the couch with a group of his friends. I look back to the girl she's gone. I need to get some air I think I head out the back door off the patio and into the yard near the woods.

After taking a moment to catch my breath, I hear Aaron run up to me.

"Hey, are you doing, ok?" he asked with genuine concern.

"Yah just got some weird vibes from one of the girls in there." I said taking a shaky breath.

He gave me a sympathetic look and put his hand on my shoulder "Hey I know you went through a crazy past few days, but you are safe here. And…" He stopped abruptly staring over my shoulder.

"What is it?" I ask

"Run get inside" he said urgently.

I turn and see the silver haired girl smile now twisted and deformed holding up her hand she shot out some purple ball with electricity surrounding it, it moved too fast I couldn't avoid it, Aaron shoved me to the side, but the purple ball seemed to be locked onto me. I braced myself as it knocked me flat on my back I began to lose consciousness, the last thing I remember seeing was Aaron charging the women with what looked like a giant scythe.

0