Battered Smile of a Homeless in Denver
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ah yes, our perceptions of others. Often our perceptions reflect those that are defined by the society which we live in, by the people around us. And if this were to be true, I dare not digress its implications.

            It was a cold spring in Denver, America. Particularly, as snow was still falling the March. Within a certain gas station, I stood with my mother in line, in line, in line to get a subway sandwich. We both stood behind a disheveled woman in her late 60’s, donning pale white skin, wearing rags for winter clothes. That was all that was notable about her, for me at least. My mom instantly recognized her as a homeless woman; I did not.

            As we stood, we realized the woman was having problems ordering her sandwich. She asked as for how much she would be able to get with 90 cents. As we stood, we saw her try and unsuccessfully purchase a garlic butter spread on plain bread. My mom, seeing that she has particular trouble with her purchase, helped her pay for the sandwich. She told her to pick out whatever she wanted.

            It wasn't long before I sat face to face with the “homeless” woman from just now. The three of us, enjoying our sandwiches together at a table. The woman could not thank my mother enough, she really couldn't. As we ate, between bites and sips of soft drinks, we talked about whatever, talked about nonsense, all the while she secretly wanted to repay for my mom’s kindness, one way or another.

            Under the guise of discarding her sandwich wrapping, she went on her way. It wasn't long before we saw her at the counter, making a purchase. Soon, she came back, and in the kindest of manners, presented me with one tennis ball, then another, then another. Three tennis balls, 2 shiny pennies, and good blessings that could not be fathomably counted. All the while, my mom trying to politely decline what was possible a week’s wage of earnings spent on gifts. She would not take no as an answer, and soon by the fiberglass station doors, I saw her reflection fade into the distorted background.

            Despite her hardships, despite her disparity, she was wealthy in humanity. In my mind, she is wealthy in a way most others can never achieve. Truly, we didn't care whether she was homeless or not. Within her battered face was the same flesh and bones under all of us,

0