Chapter 1: Steps to the top.
315 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Let's see the level of this tournament, I wonder if someone will be able to make me use my best cards? Maybe if I had let Rex summon his dragon he could have tempted me to use them”

A teenager with green hair, an elegant suit and glasses boarded a ship where the Duel Monsters tournament would be held, the card game that was climbing the ranks to become the most popular game of the decade, sponsored by the creator himself Maximillion Pegasus.

“Do you think Seto Kaiba will show up?” He could hear murmurs from the crowd

“I heard he's still in the hospital… Look! Isn't that the boy who defeated him?! Yugi Muto?!”

The green-haired teenager scanned his surroundings and spotted a boy with a very particular hairstyle.

“The descriptions were not exaggerated… How will he maintain that hairstyle?” Yugi was the talk of anyone who considered themselves a Duel Monsters player, defeating the champion before him, although the details of that game are surrounded by a halo of mysteries, there are not even recordings of that duel. “The only player who has gotten all five parts of Exodia and successfully summoned him, what will be the theme of his deck?” He walked over to talk to Yugi.

“Ah! You’re Weevil Underwood!”

Before he could respond another voice entered the conversation.

“We meet again.” He was a teenager with long brown hair and a red hat.

“Nice to see you again, Rex” He was his opponent in the final of the national tournament, they stayed in touch ever since.

“And Rex Raptor! Congratulations on his final in the national tournament! ” He seemed quite sincere to her, in fact, Yugi gave him a childish vibe even though they all had to be around 17 years old.

(I was expecting someone more... badass) There were rumors about the things he yelled at Kaiba when he defeated him. “Thank you, it was a good duel”

“I made it very easy for him.” Rex had a confident smile on his face.

"You always say that"

“Because it's the truth” Weevil only shook his head at his response, he knew that he would not admit defeat until he defeated his Red-Eyes Black Dragon.

“As I was going to say, are you Yugi Muto?” He saw the boy nod "We will probably face each other in this tournament, I'm anxious, I can't consider myself the best without beating you or Kaiba." Found the expression he made when mentioned Kaiba a little strange. (Could it be true that Kaiba couldn't accept his defeat and suffered brain damage?) It was better than the rumor of Yugi casting a curse on him for losing, he believed that there were a lot of people with free time on the internet.

“I can't wait to fight, it will be kill or be killed in this tournament.” At least Rex kept the mood up.

"What?! Another voice was heard clearly on the ship.

(Rex's attitude must be contagious)

"Are you kidding! “Do we have to sleep in a common room?!” A teenager with dark blonde hair and a delinquent appearance was yelling at a worker while he pointed to an area where there were already contestants resting.

"What? "They don't even give us beds?" He had a delinquent friend with a brown hairstyle that was short at the bottom but raised at the top and ended in a point.

“Only the finalists from the previous national tournament have private rooms!” The employee's response indicated that he would not have to look for a place to sleep.

“Heh, heh, bad luck, we got the luxury rooms,” Rex gloated.

(Sometimes he can be so mean) He tries to see the positive side for others.

"Don't feel bad, you can take the opportunity to discuss strategies or exchange cards." In fact, the blonde delinquent had already started joining the exchange groups, Yugi seemed to take him by surprise.

"One way or the other! If your deck is not perfect you have no chance of winning this tournament!”

“Then you ask why you don't have any more friends.” He knew him for a short time, but he had realized that dinosaur boy didn't know when to shut his mouth or back away... although he wasn't the one to talk about that topic.

“Shut up, I'm going to my room.” At least he wasn't petty enough to take his response seriously.

“See you, Yugi, I have to go drop off my luggage.” He didn't think the tournament would last too long and he had packed light.

Again, a scream interrupted the conversation, but this time the voice belonged to a woman.

“You must be joking! “Are you going to put a lady like me in this…this bedroom…without even a shower!?”

(Maybe it's because so many aggressive people say that this game attracts demons...) He sometimes read it in foreign forums (...Although she must be the most attractive Duel Monster player I've ever seen)

He saw the troublemaker before leaving, she was a blonde woman with long hair in her 20s and a stunning body, which she showed off with her clothes that were not at all modest.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

After checking his room and dropping off his luggage, he decided to take a walk around the ship and see the competition, after a while, he could claim that this was the strangest tournament he had ever participated in. He even saw a guy eating fish in a harpoon

“Hello, Yugi” He found the boy on the deck of the ship, it was not difficult for him to see him despite it being night, for some reason the hallway where he came out had lamps pointing from the entrance to the deck, instead of having them on the outside. 

“Hello, Weevil.”

“Did you change any cards? They both leaned on the railing while watching the sea.

“No… I'm going to fight with the original cards I chose.”

“I understand you, you know, you could say that I designed my best decks with my parents.” He said it in the most literal way possible.

"Really? This was my grandfather's deck." Yugi took out the cards from him to look at them.

“I have always felt that this game has something special” And he did not say it because he was the champion of the country

"You're not the only one." The green-haired boy noticed that Yugi grabbed a strange pyramid-shaped pendant, which had a creepy eye in the center.

(His fashion sense was to be admired) He wasn't being sarcastic, he could respect that he was so self-confident to go out looking so ridiculous.

“Yugi, could you show me Exodia?” It's probably his biggest nuisance in this tournament, the only Win Condition in the game so far; Pegasus was not seen leaving this gold mine in a short time; luckily there were few ways to put it together quickly.

“Sure, no problem.” Frankly, he expected him to refuse, few people would show his best cards to strangers.

“I have thought of several strategies to counteract it, I am grateful that it is extremely rare to obtain” They were not the best, but luck is part of the game

"Oh really?" Yugi's face did not change, he continued to maintain his positive attitude.

(He doesn't even seem worried, he is very confident or just one of those people who play to enjoy, without caring about victory)

“Here,” his hands shook in surprise when the puzzle boy handed him the Exodia cards.

“Ha ha, Yugi, are you crazy?” He didn't seem to understand why he was laughing. “How do you think about giving me the best cards in your deck? We're in the middle of a tournament… And by the sea!”

“What do you mean…” Before he could finish his sentence, a gust of sea wind blew very strongly, causing the Exodia cards to fly from Weevil's hand towards the sea. “No!” The boy's face was one of total disbelief.

“…It wasn't exactly what he had in mind” The champion couldn't believe it either, that wind came from nowhere, the boat wasn't even going that fast and the sky wasn't cloudy either.

“Raaaa!” The next thing they saw was the blonde criminal from before, arriving to jump overboard into the water. “Wait, I'll get them back!”

"You're crazy?!" Weevil gripped the railing tightly without losing sight of the criminal in the sea (How low does he consider his life to risk himself for some cards?) They were not his and they were not unique either.

"Fast! “Look for the emergency equipment!” They seemed to come in a group because a white-haired teenager was yelling at the brown-haired delinquent from before and at a pretty girl.

“Joey! You are well?" Yugi could only talk to him from the deck.

“Where are the cards?” Joey was just still focused on looking for the cardboard pieces.

“When I reach the kingdom I will eliminate you first!” The tension must have been making Weevil hallucinate because it seemed that Yugi's features changed and he looked older.

“…You should wait for the dynamics of the tournament” was the only thing he could think of to say and he sighed at another lost opportunity to meet people with similar tastes.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

When they managed to rescue Joey from the water, the green-haired boy decided that it was time to retire, he could admit that this scene would not leave the best impression on Yugi and his friends, was surprised that he had such a large group, but there was nothing to do, it was an accident and the fault was all those involved, he did not imagine that the night could get worse until he saw Rex lying in a hallway.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing!" His red face and letters from him scattered on the floor, didn't seem to agree.

“Okay until tomorrow” he was going to continue on his way.

“Wait!...Can I stay in your room?” A runner-up like him couldn't stay with the others, where would his reputation be if people found out what happened to his room?

Weevil sighed, better not snore or he would take him outside, he hoped that at least Rex would tell what happened and that this wasn't a sign of bad luck for the tournament.

 

Bonus: chapter 0 (Tales from the Omniverse Highway #8)

“Why doesn't anyone want to play Yu-gi-oh with me? No one has died in the last ten games, always complaining, 'You're ruining the game' 'I prefer the original format' 'Don't leave the 18+ feature on near the kids', god, his third wife has him whipped” He was bored and when someone who has the ability to travel freely on this highway is bored, something crazy usually happens.

“I'm going… What is that?” Surprisingly, madness came first to him in the form of bright spheres passing around him, he grabbed one to examine it. “Are souls, so many souls, was there a war and didn't invite me?” Not that everyone knew who he was, but he would have been offended anyway.

“Anyway, this makes things easier, I'll just create my own Yu-gi-oh opponent, but so that it's not predictable, I'll throw him into that universe so he can learn on his own and create his own deck... I will have to look for a specific variation so that it is not so monotonous, I hope that the guy who creates them is still in the business, now which generation do I send it to... whatever, there are many souls, I will send one to each one... I must not forget to do the modifications” He examined the souls to give him certain abilities to create a more fun opponent

"Strange, they have a pre-existing ability, I'm not interested, let's ignore it... and that's it, let's see what deck they can create and already put a seal to be able to track them, now to look for that business"

Just another day on the highways of the omniverse, he'd probably forget about this in a week.

3