Chapter 9: The abilities of Pegasus
121 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Rats! Pegasus and Kaiba! I want them both to lose!” Joey was very clear about his opinion of the players. “Although if Pegasus loses the tournament will be ruined…” Even he needed the prize money.

Beside him, Yugi, despite everything, supported Kaiba and wondered how he would face the power that the Millennium Eye confers on Pegasus.

Weevil still kept an eye on Pegasus, as he continued to joke and act playfully in front of Kaiba and his duel disk.

(Could it be that the rest is exaggerated... What?!) Before the insect boy broke a spear in favor of the game creator, he saw how a Pegasus worker brought in a dirty and abused child... who was chained! 

“Mokuba!” For the first time he saw Kaiba altering “Pegasus! What did you do to my brother!?” The boy didn't seem to react to his surroundings.

“Heh heh heh… I'm afraid he can't speak because his soul is sealed in this card.” The game creator pulled out a card that literally had 'Soul Prison' written on it with an image of Mokuna behind bars.

Kaiba was shocked.

"This is just a shell, but don't worry Kaiba-boy, if you defeat me I will free his soul and your brother will be yours."

"Oh no!" Yugi knew that Pegasus was putting the game in his favor to begin with, he had to help him somehow. “Careful Kaiba! Pegasus has a Pot of Dragon-tribe sealing!” That card would be the downfall of the blue-eyed white dragons.

“Why are you giving him advice?” The hooligan asked curiously.

When Weevil saw that, apart from Yugi in a certain way, no one seemed to do anything and the rules of the event were still being discussed, he couldn't contain his opinion.

“Kaiba, are you stupid and a bad loser?!” His outburst caught everyone's attention. “Your brother is literally chained in front of you like a hostage! And you're going to sit down and play cards?! Did you loose a screw!? Now is the time to call some competent authority!” If it were an average Joey suffering from this, Bug Boy would assume that he was afraid of Pegasus's possible influence, but Kaiba had a rival company in the market.

“Oh, the audience is excited.” Pegasus doesn't take it seriously, but stares at Weevil.

(So he is the winning boy of the contest, his family has a talent for card design and apparently also for dueling, maybe I should offer him a position in my company like I did with his father) It was one of the few times he was rejected.

“Stay out, Nobody! I will get my brother back with my own hands!” The businessman did not take his suggestion well.

(Does Kaiba seriously think that Pegasus has his brother's soul in his hand?) Weevil wanted to smash his face into the strand in the hallway (Well, there is the precedent of Yugi's grandfather... maybe Pegasus developed a drug or a method of hypnosis to leave people in a 'soulless' state and only he can reverse it... ) And immediately the reason came to him to only do this to Kaiba and Yugi, they both had something in common (And if Kaiba is right about the trap thing, which gains strength thanks to the fact that we see him willing to take hostages, all this can be seen in Pegasus's megalomania of wanting to officially and forcefully defeat the greatest promises of Duel Monsters, after all Kaiba was recognized as the best and Yugi was the one who defeated him...  (It's good that I agreed to participate in this tournament right away) Following that logic, the insect boy could also have suffered from a soulless relative.

“Weevil, are you okay?” Tea saw that he was turning a little pale.

“Yes, just worried about Pegasus.” If this was the truth, he questioned whether it was worth continuing in this tournament (Even if I expose or overcome the trap, they might try to take revenge after defeating him… What chance do I have to defend myself?) What was he going to do? Throw a card to the game creator when he comes to 'take the soul' from him or his family.

“We understand, let's hope Kaiba defeats him to end this.” Bug boy had to admit that Tea's smile comforted him a little.

(Do they expect Pegasus to turn himself in to the police for losing a Duel Monster game?) He didn't tell her so as not to sound inconsiderate. (On the bright side, Yugi and the others aren't crazy, they're just very superstitious... And Yugi is mentally ill)

The match was halfway through the second round, even with doubts in his mind, Weevil decided it was better to observe, either way it was an island, with no place to run.

(Nothing surprising so far...) He saw how Kaiba took advantage of a spell card to destroy the Pegasus monster and leave him with 1400 life points, however, both had a face down card without playing.

“It's my turn.” The businessman drew the next card from him and seemed ready to put his next card on the board, but he barely picked it up.

"Stop!" The creator stopped him immediately, “Don't move or show me that card, I'm going to activate my trap on the card you're about to play!” He revealed the trap card: Prediction “Using its effect I must guess whether the card you are holding has more than 2000 attack points or less and if my hunch is correct… it will be mine!”

It seemed like lightning had hit Kaiba.

(Make it more obvious...) Weevil tapped his forehead, from Kaiba's reaction it was obvious that it was an important card.

“And I predict that it is a monster with more than 2000 attack points! To be more exact… I predict that you are going to play the blue-eyed White Dragon with 3000 attack points!” It went without saying, especially with the businessman's face, that he was right. "Then, I will take this letter for myself." Pegasus had a superior smile as if the duel was a formality to his victory.

Yugi and the others could only watch as Pegasus gained an advantage, but Weevil tried to figure out where the trap was.

(For now there is nothing strange, even if Pegasus guessed the exact monster, everyone knows that that dragon is Kaiba's signature card, it is just a matter of probability to get it right)

The duel continued and Kaiba had no choice but to move his only monster to defense before ending his turn.

“It's my turn…” Pegasus drew his next card, he seemed very focused on his opponent “I'm going to play a card face down and my Dark Rabbit in defense mode” A cartoonish looking black rabbit appeared on the field, she had 1100 attack and 1500 defense “My turn is over!”

(He didn't play his most powerful card, he must be waiting for something, the question is what) Bug boy didn't know all of Kaiba's strategies.

“Alright, my turn! I activate my virus combo!" The businessman revealed a trap card and a monster that looked like a clown, it had 600 attack and 1500 defense “By sacrificing Saggi the dark clown to activate my Deck destruction virus of death I can destroy all the monsters that have an attack of 1500 or higher in your deck!”

“That's the combo that almost killed Yugi, if it works Pegasus will be finished” Joey seemed very sure of that statement.

(So he just used it a few minutes ago...) Anyone smart enough would prepare a countermeasure right away.

“I activate my face-down spell card” And it seemed that Pegasus was “Dark Energy!, this card doubles the attack of all dark attribute monsters, including yours…”

“¡!” Kaiba knew that his virus could only be activated by sacrificing monsters with less than 1000 attack points and now Saggi had 1200.

“In other words, your virus dies! And since I assume you finished your turn, my Dark Rabbit can assassinate your clown thanks to its increased attack” The rabbit, who now had 2200 attack points, beat up Saggi leaving Kaiba with 1000 life points.

“Pegasus is reading Kaiba's mind!” Yugi decided to expose what was happening.

“Of course he's doing it, he's responding to Kaiba's every move perfectly.” Weevil thought it was a figure of speech.

"No, I mean it literally! Pegasus knows every move and card in Kaiba's mind."

“How do you beat a guy like that?” Joey seemed to think so too.

(…Of course that's the answer, Pegasus uses his magical powers to be psychic, wouldn't it be easier to assume that that strange eye on his face has a camera that allows him to see through the cards?) Leaving aside the issue of magic, Yugi had a point, the most obvious way to cheat would be to spy on your opponent's card, but there was no proof or any sign of how he did it, Nor could they gouge Pegasus's eye out of mere suspicion.

"Reading minds? Yugi, that's crazy." Mai said it directly.

“That foreigner has that power.” Bakura wanted it to be taken seriously.

During the spectators' discussion, Kaiba had no choice but to play defense with another monster, the Battle Ox with 1700 attack and 1000 defense and finish it.

“Kaiba-boy, let me introduce you to the place where my best friends live, I'm going to play… Toon World!” A fold-out book appeared on the field, it showed the image of a castle.

"What the hell is that?!"

“It's a book, Wheeler, the question is: What does it do?”

“I've never seen that card.” Joey, Weevil and Yugi couldn't lose sight of the spell card.

“Hm… Where did he go?” Having lost concentration for a while, Kaiba realized that the Dark Rabbit had disappeared from the field.

“All my cards are Toon and they live in the Toon world, they like to hide, they are so playful... Why don't we call him? Dark Rabbit, are you there?” As soon as the creator finished his sentence, the cartoon rabbit came out of the book to deliver a devastating punch to the Ox and destroy it.

“Ya, ha, ha” The rabbit just laughed before returning to the book and it closed.

“Well, well, my Toon returned to his book and as long as it is closed, he will be protected from your attacks.”

“How is Kaiba supposed to fight back!?”

(Obviously destroying the book directly… that's a question I'd expect from Wheleer) Weevil hoped Yugi was joking.

“For my turn I'm going to play a card face down and finish.” The businessman couldn't do much.

"On my turn, right? Kaiba-boy, let me show you something interesting, meet your old friend, but better... The Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon!" A cartoon version of Kaiba's dragon appeared on the field. “He's a lot cuter, right?” The adorable creature blasted Kaiba's remaining monster to pieces with its laser beams

“Grrr…” He hated seeing his blue eyes in that state.

“I feel anger in your heart.”

“Pegasus, it seems like you already know what cards I have, so I'm going to discard my hand... I'm going to play a card you don't know, the next one I'm going to draw!” Kaiba threw the cards from his hand to the side of the table.

(Kaiba came to the same conclusion as us, he decided to bet on luck...)

“And I play it in attack mode!” A white dragon with blue eyes emerged next to the businessman. “I'm going to show you what anger really is!”

(Now he only needs one card to nullify the Toon... Why is he attacking?!) Weevil watched in disbelief as Kaiba attempted to destroy the Toon Dragon despite previous warnings (Don't tell me... he doesn't have a card to destroy the Toon World... He is lost)

It seemed to be the truth, despite his efforts Kaiba could not regain control of the duel and ended up being surpassed by Pegasus, everyone could only watch as his life points reached zero.

4