Chapter 6: Taking Things Slow
1k 4 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun had set, but the street was still lit up with flashing red and blue. Half a dozen police cruisers surrounded the apartment building. The entire area was cordoned off from the public, but that didn’t stop a small crowd from gathering on the other side of the barricades, attracted by the commotion. 

Levi sat on the stoop out front of the building while a detective stood and interviewed him. He had probably been interviewed ten times in the last couple hours.

“Like I already told the first ones who interviewed me, I didn’t see anything. When I found Mrs. Bernard, the killer was already long gone.”

“Mr. North, we appreciate your cooperation and we’re just trying to get the facts straight. Think carefully. You didn’t see anyone suspicious in the area beforehand? Anything out of the ordinary? Something that didn’t stick out as meaningful before might turn out to be a crucial piece of information later.”

“No, nothing like that. I didn’t see anyone else near the building.”

“The coroner put the time of death just after you went to Maple Leaf Café. It’s likely that they were watching and waiting for you to leave this morning. Was there anyone outside that you remember?”

“There were people on the street, but no one stuck out to me.. Sorry that I can’t be of more help.”

“It’s alright, but it is unfortunate that you didn’t see anything.” The detective sighed and closed his pocket notebook.

Levi looked back over his shoulder towards the building, gazing at the windows of Mrs. Bernard’s apartment. Inside, the police were still going over the scene with a fine-tooth comb. He was careful, but he still couldn’t help being nervous that he missed something. Levi tried to subtly probe the detective for information about their investigation.

“Will it be safe to stay here? What if the killer comes back and kills again?”

“You shouldn’t have anything to worry about in that regard. We don’t believe this was a random incident. It’s pretty clear that the killer targeted Mrs. Bernard specifically. You don’t stab someone a dozen times unless you really hate them.”

“How can you be sure, though? What if they’re just crazy?”

“This person waited for the building to be empty and covered their tracks carefully afterwards. In other words, they made a plan and were patient enough to follow through with it. Even if they became unhinged during the moment.”

“I see…”

“Anyway, thank you again for your cooperation. The investigation will last until morning, so I recommend you find somewhere else to stay for the night.”

“Does that mean I’m free to go?”

“Yes, we don’t have any more questions for now. We’ll contact you if anything comes up. And if you remember any more details later, you must absolutely let us know.”

“Of course.. I hope you catch the guy.”

The detective wandered off after his task was complete leaving Levi there to simmer on his own. At the very least, they didn’t suspect him. He had a rock-solid alibi, afterall. There were numerous people who could place him at the café. So long as no one knew about Eloise, there was no need to worry.

Of course, that was easy to say but difficult in practice. Levi’s nerves had been fraying at the edges after being tense for hours on end. To the police, he looked very much like a shocked bystander who had walked in on a grisly scene.

No one paid him any mind as he left the police barricades. Levi made sure that he wasn’t being followed before he retrieved the duffel bag he stashed earlier. After that, he called for a cab and had them take him to the boardwalk. He used a few stones to add weight to the bag, then walked out to the furthest dock and dropped all the evidence into the marina.

Another cab ride later and he was on his way to the motel. To see Eloise. 

Why was he doing all this for the girl? To be honest, Levi didn’t know. He could tell himself that he was covering his own tracks too. Covering up that he had technically ‘asked’ her to do it, but that was just an excuse. There really was no rational reason for him to go so far to help Eloise.

To him, Eloise was just a girl who stayed over once and had a crush on him. That’s what he thought at first. That her feelings were just a crush and nothing serious. That he might hurt her a little bit when he told her they couldn’t be together, but she would move on just fine. He was a little less sure about that now.

“Hey buddy. We’re here. Are you getting out or what?”

Levi was caught up in his thoughts and didn’t notice the cab had stopped until the driver spoke up. He paid the fare and stepped out. The motel had two floors of rooms with their doors facing the street. It was dark except for one massive neon sign that buzzed overhead. 

The cab drove off behind his back. Levi was hesitant to continue forward. He still had no idea what he was going to say to Eloise when he saw her. However, he didn’t get the option to stop and think about it more.

One of the motel rooms opened up and the black-haired girl peeked out of the doorway. Who knew how long she had been watching for his arrival?

“Levi~.”

She waved from the door, bouncing with visible excitement to see him. Her shyness made her hide behind her hands, but she stared at him with wide eyes dripping with infatuation. It was cute. And creepy. But mostly cute.

Levi felt his pulse racing as he looked at her. It was partially the fear of being near someone who had proven to be both lethal and unpredictable, but there was also something else. Something that made Levi question his own heart. Excitement? Desire? Why did he want to get closer to this girl when he should be running as fast as he can?

Each step brought him closer to Eloise until he was gazing down at her with barely a foot between them. She was so eager to see him that she was literally quivering.

“I missed you..”

“Eloise.. I think we should talk.”

Eloise wasn’t stupid and she was a lot more self-aware than she had been earlier. She could recognize that sort of tone that he started with. Her eyes avoided him as she shrunk into her shoulders, looking very guilty. 

“I’m sorry for causing trouble.. Are you mad?”

Is he mad that she killed someone for him? He wasn’t sure how he felt, but that wasn’t the right word. How is one supposed to feel about something like that? Horrified? Flattered? Mostly, Levi just felt confused.

Levi looked around at the other motel room doors. He definitely didn’t want anyone else to overhear what they would talk about. Grabbing her hand, he pulled Eloise with him into the room and closed the door behind them.

“Tell me why you did it. Did she come after you? Threaten you?”

Eloise shook her head meekly.

“Then why? I don’t get it. You had no reason as far as I can tell.”

“No.. I wanted to show you that I’d make a good girlfriend.”

“A good girlfriend.. Eloise, you barely know me.”

“That’s not true! I know what kind of person you are. You’ve shown me. You take care of me.”

Levi had no idea how to respond. How did her feelings get so strong? Was this real or was she faking? But if she was faking, why would she kill just because he mentioned he didn’t like someone?

“We can’t be together. For a lot of reasons, and I’m not ready for another commitment.”

His words brokered no argument. This had to stop right now. He wanted to let her down easily before, but things already spiraled out of control, so Levi decided to rip off the bandaid.

Eloise kept her eyes locked up on him intensely as she moved closer. She lifted onto the tips of her toes and leaned into his chest. Her lips grazed lightly across his. They were soft and supple. 

“Please.. I’ll be a good girlfriend. A very, very, very good girlfriend. I’ll never leave your side. I’ll make you breakfast every morning. I’ll give you everything you want. I’d do anything for you. Anything.”

Levi didn’t move. His heart was racing even faster now. Eloise was pawing at his chest, squeezing his shirt with both hands. 

This was so wrong. Eloise was dangerous and unstable. Who knew if her feelings would swing back the other way just as quickly and she’d stab a knife in his back? A relationship with her would be utter insanity. If he said yes, then he was just as crazy as her. She was going to fall into the abyss someday and she would drag him down with her. 

“I want to be yours. I want to wake up beside you. I want my first time to be with you. I want to spend every day with you. I want to be with you forever.” 

The eyes of a lunatic stared up at him. A beautiful, obsessed, lovable, terrifying lunatic.

Levi had just gotten out of a long term relationship. He wasn’t ready for commitment again. They didn’t know each other long enough. He didn’t have the spare money or time to date. She was a murderer. There were countless reasons why he shouldn’-

Eloise kissed him fully without any reserve. She tasted sweet. Her tongue pressed against his lips begging to be let in. Levy didn’t resist.

His hands moved to the backs of her thighs to keep her lifted on her toes so she could reach him. Eloise wrapped both arms around his neck and clung to him tightly, pressing her body flush with his.

Levi felt his desires rise up so intensely that he almost lost control of his actions. He was tempted to sweep Eloise up, press her down on the bed and take her right then and there. She would let him have everything and he knew it.

But he restrained himself. He wanted more than just a quick fuck. Eloise was young and impressionable. She was sweet, gentle, and innocent. Levi refused to take advantage of her. He wasn’t ready for commitment.. But he didn’t have to just reject her completely. They could take things slow and then he could see if her feelings were true or just a fleeting crush.

Levi pulled his lips out of her reach even as Eloise chased after him, eager for more.

“Eloise.. Let’s take things slow. We can go on a few dates and see if it works out.”

Even after those words left his lips, he could barely believe that he said them. What the hell was wrong with him? A murderer. He was really thinking of dating a murderer. Was he sick in the head?

Eloise didn’t refuse the suggestion to slow down. She excitedly nodded as she smiled at him. She would say yes to anything Levi suggested if it meant he wouldn’t push her away. Just the slightest bit of lucidity returned to her eyes. Her face turned rosy as she thought about her actions just then. That was close! She almost came on a little too strong.

“Okay, Levi.. Um-” She bit on her lower lip as her hands fidgeted with the hem of her shirt. “Spending the night with me isn’t too fast right?” 

Levi thought about it hesitantly. Technically, he had already spent the night with her once. And if he wasn’t going to stay here tonight, where would he stay? It should be alright to just sleep beside Eloise. That wouldn’t be enough to set off her extreme tendencies, right? Even if she tried something, he had enough self control.

“Yeah, I’ll stay with you tonight. But let’s just make this a one time thing, and we’ll go slow starting tomorrow.”

Eloise traced her tongue across her front teeth as she lit up with another grin. Levi watched her crawl into the bed and curl up, fluttering her eyes as she waited for him to join her. The girl knew how to be adorable to entice him and she used this weapon of hers with ruthless efficiency. 

As Levi climbed into the bed beside her, he was like a moth landing in a spider’s web. She had drawn him in this time and Eloise had no intention of ever letting him go. Levi was hers. He just didn’t know it yet.

He laid down and she promptly invaded his side, backing herself up into him to make herself into the little spoon. Levi didn’t have much choice but to lay his arm over her. Once she showed him how warm she was. How soft she was. How he could have this every night.. Eloise would make him abandon his words about this being a ‘one time thing’.

27