「Fragment IV」Agreement
56 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   "Haaah. . ." A tired sigh escaped from the mouth of a certain shopkeeper.

   Julian was his name. An ordinary honest person that one can find anywhere; just happen to be there, trying to live a life amidst the cruel world as everyone is, riding the waves. Yet sometime, the waves could be really hard to bear. True to the words, Julian himself could say that this time was the darkest time of his life.

   His finger tapping the desk in front of him with uneven tempo, while his line of sight was unfocused. Haggard the man face is, showing how stressful it was.

   How could he not? He hadn't sold anything for the past few days, as not even a single person had visited his shop.

   . . . Where is it goes wrong?

   It was where he was. As Julian is now in Orario, and in the labyrinth city it was, during the time that could be said as the darkest era.

   He just moved to Orario few years ago, leaving his small village to get a better life in the city. But who would've thought that it was proven to be a bad decision? Grave decision almost.

   If there's someone to blame, it was none but himself. 

   . . . Well, there is still that group of lunatic to put blame on. But still, if Julian could, he would like to go back into the past then strangle his past self not to come into this hell hole.

   'Fortunately, i have my savings.' Julian thought. It was his last source of reassurance in this predicament.

   As it was his habit to spare Valis for such emergency, Julian is always prepared for almost everything, and it was proven to be a good habit many times. Without it, his current state would be far worse, if not like many other people that had to beg for some food on the street. Yet such thing has limit, as his saving will eventually runs out, and that is exactly what he was worried about.

   ". . . I wonder how is that farmer grandpa and his little rabbit doing back in the village." Julian muttered. "I hope they doesn't come here."

   While he was lost in his thoughts, an unique sound of creaked door come to his ear, prompting Julian to look up with confusion. 

   "Hm. . ?"

   What greets him next was a peculiar sight; a young girl stood on the doorway. 

   There is nothing wrong about having a young costumer. No. Rather, it was because Julian noticed a bizarre amount of bandage covering half of her face and both arms. 

   Normally, such injury which require much covering would be enough to prevent someone from leaving their bed. But, judging from her expression that devoid of any pain, it was certainly not the case. But then, it was even more confusing for the man, as that means the bandages is some kind of wierd fashion of the girl.

   Julian couldn't even say a word until the peculiar girl was in front of his desk. It was when their eyes meet, he finally recovered.

   "A-ah, Hello miss. . ?" Julian said, unsure how to address the unique visitor. 

   While he was trying to be an amicable shopkeeper, there is an undescribable feeling upon being gazed by the person blue eye. Yet despite the strange feeling, Julian looking friendly like every experienced shopkeeper would be. And as his eyes is examining the girl attire, Julian finally noticed the staff on the girl's right hand. A wooden staff with simple design that looks worn out yet still sturdy. 

   . . . People outside the Labyrinth City might dismiss this as an ordinary stick, but years living in Orario gave him an insight about such thing. After all, Almost similar views can be found on the Adventurers. 

   "―Are you perhaps an Adventurer?" Julian asked, swiftly leading the conversation to erase his initial awkwardness.  

   "Not quite. . ." the peculiar girl answered but then paused briefly, ". . . Yet."

   Hearing that, he raised an eyebrow of interest. "A newcomer then? Gotta be careful there, miss. Not the best time to start, if i had to say."

   "Indeed, it seems." the girl nodded in agreement, looking particularly unconcerned. 

   "Well then, is there anything you want?" Julian asked. 

   "Apologies, but I wanted, to sell some. . , items. . ." she answered, in a voice that getting smaller after every word, seemingly embarrassed.

   Julian frowned slightly. He could understand her thought, as the girl wasn't exactly the first one to do such thing, and normally, he wouldn't mind to help by buying their items, as it could be beneficial for him still. But at the time like this, it was difficult to do so. Yet looking at the small, fragile appearance of her, there is something, perhaps sympathy, stirred deep inside his heart that keep telling him to help. 

   After a short silence, Julian sighed and says, "Honestly, it was hard to sell anything these days, but first let me see what you have."

   

   The girl nodded while saying, "Thank you." and took something out from the white robe she was wearing. 

   It was a leather pouch, which then placed on the table. But as Julian open it, his expression quickly morphed into that of a shock and disbelief. 

   "This. . . is a bit too much." Julian said, while he quickly close the pouch to avoid blindness―in more than a single meaning.

    Who would've thought that he, during an unremarkable day of his life, would have to deal with a pouch filled with so many gemstone? It was so many that a ray of seven colors is reflected back to his face once the light from a lamp hanging above shine upon them. 

   Not only that Julian doesn't have much money to buy these uselessly expensive stuff. He doesn't need any of this thing, and even if he decided to sell them again for profit, he doesn't know their exact prices. 

   "I can't buy any of this." he shook his head. "They are too expensive for me."

  "I see. . ." the girl muttered, then ask, "Do you know, a place, where I could, sell these?"

   "Well. . , i do know such place." the man answered, as his hand moved to grab a paper and quill. "I'll write you the address."

   But before Julian could put his quill on the paper, the girl interrupted. 

   "Hold."

   ". . . Yes?" Julian asked in confusion.

   "I need, a help on, negotiating." she said. "I will pay, with the Valis, from selling these gems, and perhaps, buying something here."

   Julian went completely silent for a second, but then there is a smile forming on his haggard face before turning into a grin. 

   One might say that he was weak as an ordinary person, compared to the Adventurer that is fighting monsters for a living. But negotiation? It was his favourite battleground.

   "Alright, miss. You've gotten yourself a deal."

❖ ❖ ❖

2