「Fragment VI」A House
27 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   It was fortunate that Evilus doesn't makes any move just yet after their previous attack, giving Alice the much needed temporary peace. Although there's nothing significant has changed in Orario, for the better or worse.

   During the time, postponing the search of a Familia, Alice began to look around for a place that would be her new base. But as it would serve an important purpose, Alice had to set some requirements for it.

   Mainly, the place has to be somewhere far enough from any densely packed buildings, and away from a place that might be marked as a target by those lunatics. Nobody would like to see their house got destroyed for whatever reason it might be, including herself. The less chance of it getting targeted, the better. 

   However it also shouldn't be isolated from the rest of the city. Inconvenience matter aside, Alice is more concerned about the strategic point in the case of emergency scenario. Somewhere that has an escape route for civilians, while providing her a quick route to rush at any direction.

   Such thoughts leads her to Orario's Northwest district. 

   Sparse. That was the accurate word to describe this side of the Labyrinth city. The Northwest district, especially the nearer it was to the massive wall has lot of undeveloped land plot, cultivating weeds on their own. 

   A pity, nobody will buy any of them with how dangerous Orario currently. Who would like to live in a place, where some criminal might knock your door at anytime? Well, a knock would be much appreciated coming from a terrorist. Though, why would they? 

   Because of that, there is no shortage of people that want to leave Orario. Truth to be told, many had done so. The rest however, have something that prevent them from leaving, with one of the possible reason is unsurprisingly, Valis. Again.

   They couldn't just walk to another place with monster outside the city, more so if they are civilians because that is equivalent to a death wish. For even if there is someone that is somehow managed it, they are basically a homeless on the new place, quite similar to Alice's current situation. 

   A reasonable solution is to sell their house to get a considerable amount of Valis. Yet again, who have the desire to buy them? 

· · ·

   Scouting through Northwest District, Alice finally found the most suitable area that meets her requirements. With a nod to herself, Alice began to look for any information about houses that were being sold nearby the vicinity, and by the means of looking for any information is, of course, the good old asking people.

   As the girl was looking around, Alice easily spot an old lady resting on a chair under the roof of their terrace. Alice stopped in front of the fence that surrounded the old lady's house, trying to get the elder's attention.

   "Good morning, ma'am." Alice said in a slightly loud voice because the distance.

   Hearing Alice's voice, a slight frown appeared on the old lady face before she stand up from her chair. Yet after finding out that there is a stranger outside her house, the frown changed into wariness in her eyes. 

   That subtle change doesn't go unnoticed by the girl. Fear have embedded into people's heart,  even here it seems.

   "Yes. . ? What is it?" the old lady replied with a slight tone of reluctance from that hoarseness of an elderly. She was unwilling to interact with someone unknown, that for sure. Truthfully, the old lady wasn't a grumpy person, but when the safety of the place you live in is questionable at best, you are naturally forced to be suspicious at everything that exist.

   "I am, but someone, in the search, of a house." Alice says softly. "By chance, do you know, someone that, would be willing, to sell theirs, within this area?"

   The lady's frown quickly morphed into a sequence of surprised and disbelief, before revealing a look that exactly says; Are you insane, girl?

   "A newcomer?" the old lady asks, but then cut herself short after finding the staff on Alice's hand. ". . . an Adventurer?"

   Just within a single minute, the impression of Alice changed a way too quickly in the old lady's eyes. From suspicious stranger, to a newcomer that is ignorant about Orario's danger, to a suicidal girl that seeking death beneath Babel. Because of that, the old lady stiffened in place like a statue, leaving the girl catching wind outside with awkward smile. 

   The lady's train of thought is understandable, because a staff is a signature weapon of some Adventurers that capable of using magic. By the common sense, carrying them on hands is simply announce it to every eyes, at least here in the labyrinth city. That's why, the lady wrongly judge Alice, although it might be correct a little later in the future.

   It took another minutes before the old lady's mind returned to reality, and yet the first things she muttered is, "Mad. All the youngster nowadays are mad." 

   "Um. . ." Hearing the unexpected, Alice doesn't know how to respond, but is secretly agreed with it. They do, both the Adventurers and Evilus. 

   The girl is ironically missed about whom that sentence is really directed to, but then, what is youth without some touch of madness?

   "Whatever." the elder mumbled, ending her own thought. "What are you looking for again? A house? Try that one over there." 

   While saying that, she pointed towards a house not too far away. "Kiran has been trying to sell it for months. Kind of cheap too because this hell of a place."

   "I, see. . . Thank you, ma'am. I'll head, to that house, then."

   "Knock on his door a bit harder! He is probably out cold drinking a cheap liquor again." 

. . .

   The house itself wasn't luxurious from the outside, but rather modest built made of woods. It has two floors and a balcony, with a small garden on the side―although looks like it was left without much of a care. 

   Leaving the details, Alice find herself knocking at their door. The response was rather quick, as she heard a ruckus from inside, probably the sound of glass breaking into pieces.

   "Argh, damn it! What the hell do you want? It's still morni. . . ng. . ?"

   

   From the creaking wooden door, a disheveled person appeared in awkward shape. He was covered in the smell of an alcohol, obviously drinking as the old lady says, and judging from his irritated expression, the man is forced to wake up because Alice's knocking.

   A little bit sober, the man finally ask in a little bit of confusion, ". . . Who are you?"

   Unlike the old lady, this man looks laid back and carefree. But that wasn't a sign of  carelessness. He was wearing a leather armor along with a sheathed dagger hanging on his belt. A genuine Adventurer from the attire alone, yet what truly matters is his eyes. 

   Sharp. . . Albeit just woken up. I couldn't took him by surprise even if I tried. He has a veteran habit. Alice thought for a second before replying with a question. "You are, Kiran, is that correct?"

   The man flinched. He didn't immediately answer her, but raising his eyebrow as his right hand moved quietly to the hilt of the dagger he carried, and resting there without drawing it out. His behavior alone gave a clear answer to Alice more than anything.

   "What are you looking for?" Kiran asked with a stern tone. 

   "I was, directed, by the old lady, back there." Alice gave it out. "Told that, there is someone, named Kiran, that is trying, to sell, his house. I'm but, someone, that is, coincidentally, interested to buy, a house, in this area."

   Kiran narrowed his eyes, feeling a little doubtful, but then only says, ". . . I see. "

   He took a glance at the staff that rests on Alice grasp. His right hand never leave the dagger's hilt, while his mind is put to work.

   She seemed to be someone with magic oriented combat. A mage, no doubt. Silverly white hair and a mage. . . There is no title holder with that appearance, not even from some Familia that hides their own level like us. She isn't a level two adventurers. I should be able to take her down with this close distance even before she cast any magic.

   In a short time after weighting the possibility, Kiran finally decided, "Well. . . You are right with me selling this house. But are you sure? This place is deserted."

   "In that regard, I was, especially, looking for, a quiet place." Alice answered, deliberately revealing her reasons.

   ". . . Alright." Kiran relented. "I'll let you take a look inside."

   

· · ·

   Alice had no expectations for the house, since the man himself was a drunkard. Such people often neglected their own self, why would they care about their surrounding?

   Yet on the contrary, Kiran's house is rather clean―save for a broken glass on the floor that seems to be caused by her, and the smell of alcohol permeating the room. And by the word clean, it was almost literally. It has nothing but the bare necessity to be called house.

   "As you can see, this house is empty. . , kind of." Kiran said awkwardly.

   But, Alice doesn't feel bothered by the fact that she have to buy all the things she might need by herself. On the contrary, it gave her much freedom to arrange everything to her liking.

   "How much, does it cost?"

   Caught off guard by Alice quick decision, the man unexpectedly stuttered, "W-well. . , ju-ust three hundred. . , thousand. Are you really interested?"

    "That is, certainly. Although, I had to inquire about the reason of this house being sold." Alice demanded. She doesn't want to live in a place where some tragedy had happened, after all.

   "Just moving to my Familia home. It's a lot less dangerous than living in here."

   "I see. . . That is, a wise, decision." Alice paused, before hesitantly ask, "If I was, allowed, to know, which familia, are you from?"

   "Eh, not a great one that's for sure. I'm a member of Hermes Familia." Kiran said, before asking the same question in return with a simple gesture of raising his eyebrow.

   Which then Alice answered after taking a mental note about the Familia name. "I was yet, to have, a Familia. It might, took me, sometime, to find, a suitable one."

   Hearing that, Kiran suddenly lost all his energy, leaving him tired like a dead fish waiting to be dried. All my precautions earlier, what was that for?

   Looking at Kiran's exhausted eyes, Alice let out a warm chuckle. "Your wariness, is finally, gone, it seems."

   ". . . Damn."

❖ ❖ ❖

3