37 – Evil for Dead: The Unawakening (B) (Illus.)
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the perspective of Pail Ale

 

Spoiler

[collapse]

Pail stepped into the twisted conservatory of the Rat City Police Station, her eyes taking a moment to adjust to the dim, eerie light that filtered through the stained glass dome above. The room was a vast, chaotic jungle of mutant plants, each more bizarre and menacing than the last. It was like a grotesque parody of a botanical garden.

The air was thick with a sickly-sweet odor, a mixture of decay and something unnaturally floral. The unsettling rustle of leaves and vines filled the space, creating an ambiance that set Pail's nerves on edge. She could almost feel the sentient presence of the plants, watching her with unseen eyes.

Her first task was clear but daunting.

Before her stood the Thirsty Fern, its once-lush fronds now wilted and drooping in despair. It sat forlornly beside a dry fountain, its intricate stone carvings covered in moss and vine. The fern seemed to embody a silent plea for water, a basic necessity it was cruelly denied.

Pail approached the fountain, her mind racing with thoughts of Ruby. The task at hand was a metaphor for their relationship - something once vibrant now in desperate need of care and attention. She shook off the thought.

The fountain's plumbing system was ancient, a network of rusty pipes and broken valves hidden beneath layers of neglect. Pail's gamer instincts kicked in as she examined the system. It was a puzzle within itself, requiring a careful balance of logic and intuition.

She started by tracing the pipes, her hands brushing against cold metal and damp stone. The layout was complex, a maze of connections that were anything but straightforward.

She found a valve, seized up with rust and time. With effort, she turned it, wincing at the grating sound of metal against metal. A trickle of water began to flow, but it was hardly enough.

Pail moved to the next valve, then the next, her actions becoming more confident with each success. She could almost hear the faint whisper of the plants around her, urging her on. The fountain slowly came to life, water beginning to gurgle and flow through the once-silent pipes.

As the water reached the Thirsty Fern, the transformation was immediate. The fronds perked up, slowly unfurling to reveal their hidden beauty. The fern seemed to breathe a sigh of relief, its vibrant green color returning as if by magic.

Pail stepped back, a sense of accomplishment washing over her. She had completed the first part of the puzzle, reviving the Thirsty Fern and earning one of the key ingredients for her concoction. It was a small victory, but a significant one.

In that moment, as she watched the fern bask in the life-giving water, Pail's thoughts returned to Ruby. The task had been a reminder of the care and effort relationships required. She felt a renewed determination to find Ruby, to reconnect and resolve the issues that had been simmering between them.

The twisted conservatory, with its bizarre plants and complex puzzles, was more than just a gaming challenge. It was a reflection of Pail's own journey, a journey not just to save Ruby in the game, but to save what they had in the real world. With renewed resolve, Pail turned to face the next challenge, her mind clear and her heart set on her goal.

Spoiler

[collapse]

After revitalizing the Thirsty Fern, Pail continued deeper into the heart of the conservatory. The path led her to a peculiar clearing where a group of plants swayed in an entrancing, rhythmic pattern. They formed a natural barrier, their synchronized movements creating an almost hypnotic dance that blocked her way to a crucial area.

Pail paused at the edge of the clearing, watching the plants with a mix of fascination and uncertainty. The challenge ahead was clear: she needed to mimic the rhythmic pattern of the plants to pass through. Despite not being a rhythm gamer herself, Pail knew this was a test she couldn't avoid.

The plants' dance was intricate, a complex ballet of swaying stems and rustling leaves. Pail hesitated, the rhythm seeming foreign and daunting. She remembered Ruby, her girlfriend, a prodigious dancer and rhythm gamer whose grace and skill had always amazed her. Pail closed her eyes for a moment, drawing inspiration from the thought of Ruby.

With Ruby in her mind, Pail stepped into the clearing and began to mimic the movements of the plants. Her initial attempts were clumsy, her movements out of sync with the hypnotic sway of the flora. The plants seemed to react to her missteps, their rustling growing louder, more insistent.

But Pail persisted, focusing on the rhythm, letting it guide her movements. She thought of Ruby's effortless grace, her innate understanding of rhythm and flow. Gradually, Pail's movements began to align with the dance of the plants. The swaying became faster, more complex, but Pail kept up, her body moving with a fluidity she hadn't known she possessed.

The rhythm-based mini-game was a test of timing and adaptability. Pail found herself lost in the dance, her entire being focused on matching the swaying rhythm. It was a challenge that pushed her out of her comfort zone, but it also felt strangely empowering.

As she continued to dance, the plants' movements began to slow, their rustling softening into a gentle whisper. Pail's final steps were in perfect harmony with the swaying flora. As the dance came to an end, the plants parted, their leaves gently brushing against her as if in appreciation.

Pail stood there for a moment, catching her breath, a sense of achievement washing over her. She had completed the Rhythmic Resonance Challenge, not just through physical effort but by drawing inspiration from her relationship with Ruby.

Empowered by her success in the Rhythmic Resonance Challenge, Pail ventured towards the heart of the conservatory. The air grew denser, the smell more pungent as she approached the domain of the central, larger mutant plant. It loomed before her, a massive, writhing entity, its thick vines blocking the way forward. This was her final obstacle in the conservatory, the one thing standing between her and the location of Ruby.

Her objective was clear: using the ingredients collected from her previous challenges, Pail needed to concoct a serum to weaken the formidable plant. The challenge lay in a mini-lab setup, complete with beakers, burners, and an array of chemical compounds. It was a puzzle requiring precision and attention to detail, as Pail had to mix the ingredients in the correct order and proportions. Clues scattered throughout the conservatory hinted at the formula, but deciphering them was a puzzle in itself.

Pail examined the setup, her mind recalling the hints she had gathered. The ingredients had to be combined in a specific sequence, each one reacting to the previous to create the desired effect. She carefully measured and mixed, her hands steady despite the tension that gripped her.

Spoiler

[collapse]

As she worked, a sense of urgency filled her. Ruby was somewhere beyond this monstrous plant, potentially in danger. The thought made Pail's heart race, driving her to work faster, but she knew a single mistake could ruin the entire concoction.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the serum was complete. Pail cautiously approached the mutant plant, serum in hand. As she poured the concoction over its roots, the plant shuddered, its vines retracting and writhing as if in pain. Slowly, it began to retreat, revealing a hidden passage that had been obscured by its massive bulk.

Pail wasted no time. She hurried through the passage, her thoughts focused on finding Ruby. However, her relief was short-lived. As she stepped into the next room, she was suddenly and violently attacked by a zombie. It was a stark reminder that the dangers of "Evil for Dead 2" were far from over.

The zombie that confronted Pail in the dimly lit corridor of the Rat City Police Station was a ghastly sight, a grotesque shadow of its former human self. Its skin was pallid and stretched taut over protruding bones, giving it an emaciated, almost skeletal appearance. Patches of flesh were torn or rotted away, revealing glimpses of the decaying muscle and sinew beneath.

Spoiler

[collapse]

The creature's eyes were the most haunting feature. They were a milky white, devoid of any sign of humanity or the person it once was. These lifeless eyes seemed to stare into nothingness, yet they were unnervingly focused on their prey.

Its movements were jerky and uncoordinated, as if the zombie were perpetually on the verge of collapsing under its own weight. Each step it took was a labored effort, with limbs that seemed to barely obey its will. Its hands, once capable of gentle gestures, were now twisted claws, grasping hungrily at the air.

The clothing on the zombie was tattered and bloodstained, hanging off its body in ragged shreds. It was a haunting reminder that this monster was once a person, perhaps a resident or worker in the police station before the outbreak turned them into this nightmarish creature.

Most disturbing of all was the sound it made—a guttural, gurgling moan that seemed to emanate from deep within its throat. It was a sound devoid of any logic or reason, a mere expression of its insatiable hunger.

In a panic, Pail fired her gun, the shots echoing loudly in the confined space. The zombie staggered with each hit, but it kept coming, driven by a relentless hunger. Pail kept firing until her magazine clicked empty, the final bullet taking down the creature.

She stood there, breathing heavily, the realization sinking in. She had used all her bullets, a critical mistake in a game filled with dangers at every turn. Her mind raced, thinking of the other zombies lurking out there, the limited resources at her disposal, and the ever-present threat they posed.

Out of ammunition and surrounded by the undead, Pail's situation was dire.

The gunshots had slowed the first zombie, but it wasn't enough. As she considered using her knife to finish it off, the situation escalated dramatically. Several more zombies crashed into the room, their groans chilling and movements erratic.

Spoiler

[collapse]

Pail flailed at them desperately, her knife a poor substitute for her spent firearm. She was careful to avoid their deadly bites, knowing too well the consequences of such a wound in the game. However, her limited firepower was insufficient against the growing horde.

In the midst of the chaos, Pail's eyes caught sight of a full matchbox on a nearby shelf. Her mind raced, recalling her extensive game knowledge. There was a gas canister somewhere ahead, a potential weapon if used correctly. She quickly glanced at her inventory, noticing she had both green and blue herbs. It was time for a tactical decision, one that bordered on the insane.

Pail steeled herself for what came next. She would allow a zombie to bite her, giving her the chance to escape the room and reach the gas canister. It was a risky move, but it was her only option. As the zombie's teeth sank into her flesh, Pail screamed in agony, a part of her marveling at the disturbing detail and realism provided by the Nautilus system. Despite the pain, she managed to break free from the zombie's grasp.

The zombies pursued her as she limped down a tight corridor, their groans echoing off the walls. Pail could feel the effects of the bite, the virtual poison coursing through her veins. She quickly used the herbs in her inventory, healing herself just enough to keep moving.

Finally, she reached the gas canister. With no time to spare, she doused the advancing zombies in fuel and threw the match. The ensuing explosion was larger and more ferocious than she had anticipated. Flames engulfed the corridor, the heat intense and suffocating.

Pail turned to run, but the blast was overwhelming. The last thing she saw was a wall of fire rushing towards her, the heat searing her skin. Then everything went black.

 

Spoiler

[collapse]
Announcement

Hello, it's dessert4breakfast here. I need your feedback on something. I've decided to add illustrations to all of the chapters. They'll be present for all posted chapters going forward, and I'll be gradually updating previous chapters with illustrations of similar quality and quanity. I'd like to know what you think about the style. I've chosen something that's less realistic and more comedic, because I think it fits with the tone of the series. But let me know what you think about these illustrations.

 

My plan is to upload illustrations for at least 2 back chapters per day, and I will add the phrase (Illus.) to any chapter that has been updated with pictures.

There will be another announcement when the entire project is up to date.

Thanks!

 

-dessert4breakfast

0