Vol. 3 CH. 12 – Preparations
175 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 3 CH. 12 - Preparations

 

PART #1

 

"Those things just pops up and disappear don't they?"

 

"Don't mind them, they're just doing their jobs"

 

The soldiers at the towers surrounding the castle yawned as they watched another Magic Iron Golem appear and disappear. This has been a daily occurs ever since Queen Isabelle first woke up. Because of that, most of the guards and soldiers stationed around the castle was used to seeing them.

 

"Hmm.... Oh right, I've heard that the hero is getting kicked out of the kingdom"

 

"That again? It's only been a day you know?"

 

"I know but still...."

 

The two were friends since forever. They both joined the army at the same time and had the same work for almost four years now. Them having this conversation wasn't much any difference to other days they spent working together.

 

"He's getting what he deserved"

 

"But wouldn't it be bad though?"

 

"About what?"

 

"The wrath of the gods? We're practically chasing away a hero you know?"

 

"Does it really matter? It was the same when that other hero got kicked out though?"

 

"But still....."

 

The sun was high and like any other day, there was nothing but peace and quiet. The tower they were in was cool so it was perfect for a midday rest.

 

However, another Magic Iron Knight appeared and disappeared once more. This time, it was around the Princess Lucinda's window.

 

"Another one.... How many does it make?"

 

"15? That's about it I think?"

 

"You were keeping count?"

 

"Shut up, I was bored"

 

Like that, the two unknowingly spend another day watching around the tower while having a meaningless conversation with one another......

 

 

 

———

 

 

"Hmm? Mikoto-sama, is something wrong?"

 

Nero appeared right around the corner when Mikoto and Inomiri-sensei were on their way to a vacant room. However, Inormiri-sensei was having some kind of breakdown and was hyperventilating.

 

"Nero-san...."

 

"Ugh....agh.....hah...."

 

"I'll help you guys out. Lead the way"

 

Nero decided to carry Inomiri-sensei. As the lady was losing color on her face, if wasn't good to have her stay in a corner of a hallway. Mikoto then lead them to a vacant room with enough space to breath in. The windows were open and fresh air was entering the room quite cooly it seems.

 

Imce inside, Nero placed down Inomiri-sensei on a couch and took a step back.

 

Mikoto then went to Inomiri-sensei's side and care for her.

 

"What happened?"

 

"I don't know. She just froze up all of a sudden when Taiga-kun snapped"

 

Mikoto recalled what happened in the throne room. Taiga went wild after being refused to let out. He then kept spouting things he wouldn't say to others and acted more aggressively than before. It was like he was a whole other person.

 

"That might be.... why Kyoushiro-kun wants us to stay away from him...."

 

Everyone witnessed what happened in the throne room. Mikoto herself couldn't believed that the righteous and always smiling, nice Taiga Kurosawa could say all those things.

 

Right now Inomiri-sensei was in a weird state because of that.

 

"Sensei?"

 

"Looks like she fell asleep"

 

Finally, Inomiri-sensei's breathing returned normal. Though in the end of it, she passed out and fell asleep. Mikoto was just glad that Inomiri-sensei could rest right now.

 

"What will happen to Taiga-san?"

 

"He won't die, that's for certain. However the commander is very loyal to the king after all. He might do something unreasonable"

 

"I see....."

 

It was unknown for Mikoto how loyal Kuro was to Kyoushiro. It was so much that he was even went so far as to capture Taiga and take away the two swords he stole from Kyoushiro in the past.

 

Nero smiled wryly.

 

"You are not going to say anything?"

 

"About what?"

 

"About your friend's treatment"

 

Even while an enemy for Kyoushiro, Taiga was still a classmate for the rest of them. Mikoto herself had interacted with Taiga as a classmate and could even go as far as calling herself a friend of his.

 

It wouldn't be weird if she were to be worried about Taiga's well-being.

 

"No, I don't need to"

 

"Why?"

 

"He deserved what he is currently going through right now. Kyoushiro-kun went through harsher times than he was and I wasn't even there to help him"

 

There was a tinge of self loath and sadness in her voice. Mikoto couldn't do anything but watch as Kyoushiro was beaten down horribly and taken to the dungeon where he was tortured for days.

 

In face of all that, isn't Taiga's current situation more light?

 

"You really love his Majesty huh?"

 

"Yes.... I do"

 

A smile and flushed cheeks bloomed on Mikoto's face.

 

"I've been in love with him for a long time"

 

"Heh, it's enough to see it on your face. You don't need to rub it in"

 

Nero smiled bitterly. He turned around and faced the open window where the castle wall can be seen. A wide year laid outside and the Black Army that Kuro brought was there resting. Or more like, they were sparring for whatever reason.

 

"Those idiots just what are they doing....— Nero shook his head as he sighed.

 

 

 

———

 

 

The third level of the underground dungeon under the castle. Inside this inky darkness, Taiga's cage was left down by the worker golems.

 

"Let me out!!"

 

Taiga was still energetically trying to tear off the chains and break off the cage.

 

"Still energetic. I guess you'll need it until we take you back to Ambrosia"

 

Kuro was still there. The other cages was left on the second floor. It was because they kept insisting that Taiga threatened them to follow him. Though for Kuro, they weren't much concern. After all, only Taiga will be leaving later.

 

"Just what I do to you that you're doing this to me!?"

 

"It's not me that you have done something, it was my king that was hurt because of what you did"

 

"Huh?! Just what's with all this bullshit!? I don't even know who your king is!!"

 

"Kukuku..... I guess you weren't really listening were you?"

 

Kuro couldn't help but laugh. All the yes were already laid bare and Taiga couldn't even come up with a conclusion. It was truly pitiful. A foothh grin showed on Kuro's animalistic face.

 

"Kyoushiro Kagami. In this lands, he is known as the criminal hero but in the wastelands, he is known as the Black hero and the Black King of Ambrosia"

 

"....?!"

 

Taiga's expression froze and his jaw dropped as he heard the name of Kuro's king.

 

Kuro was enjoying the unexplainable look on Taiga's face right now.

 

"What are you....."

 

"Kyoushiro Kagami had defeated a Demon Lord long beife you could. He rebuilt a ruined country using only what's available in the wasteland. What's more, he made many amazing tools for both work and war. Everyone in the wasteland acknowledges him as the real hero. Not a fraud like you"

 

If you count the achievements done by Taiga against Kyoushiro, there was a sheer number of differences between them. While Kyoushiro was treated as a criminal in Travestin, he was the a hero in wasteland. Compared to Taiga who only made things worse as he overlook the effects of his own actions and recklessly did whatever he wanted.

 

"Kh!!?"

 

And right now....

 

"You're tied down inside a cage he himself made"

 

"RAAAAGH!!!"

 

*BANG!!* The cage trembled as Taiga snapped from anger. Once again, he was outdone by a nobody in his world. Again, he suffered a humiliation that even Taiga's father won't stand for.

 

Indeed, if this was earth, taking care of Kyoushiro wouod be easy. But if this was earth that is.

 

In this world, Kyoushiro was moving higher than Taiga ever was when it was he that supposed to be the real hero.

 

The Black Hero.

 

The Black King.

 

Both titles that Taiga had so trying hard to get was easily obtained by Kyoushiro.

 

"Noo!! I'm the hero!! I'm the king!!"

 

"Hmph, no matter how much you clamour you will never be a hero and neither a king. Those things are just far too heavy for you to carry"

 

Kuro turned around. The lights made by the two worker golems on their shoulders shined the other way. Darkness returned to Taiga's cell. The only light he could see was the ones trailing away.

 

"NRAAAAAAH!!! DAMN IT!!"

 

As the light finally disappeared and the sound of a metal door shutting close Taiga was left alone in this utterly dark place.

 

However, unlike what he thought, he wasn't alone. A pair of pale blue lights gleaming right behind the cage he was tied in....

 

 

PART #2

 

Inside the cave right behind the Mist Lake, dark sludge like creatures with gelatinous humanoid body forming and collapsing over and over again as it moves, climbs out from the cliff where the only exit was.

 

"Urgh....."

 

Barth groaned. His whole body was in pain.

 

"What the hell.... is this...?!"

 

Barth did the ritual. Inside a small room, he performed a ritual that was written inside the book each and every member of the cult was given.

 

Written largely on the floor was a magic circle. It was 4 meters in diameter with wriggling letters around the geometric patterns inside.

 

However there was one problem, Barth was suddenly attacked a by severe body pain that caused all his nerves to flare up and burn.

 

There wasn't any blood flowing out of his body. But his entire body inside felt like it was burning and melting at the same time.

 

"I....I'm a necromancer and yet...!?"

 

The draw back wasn't supposed to be this bad. Yet, Barth suddenly collapsed when he felt agonizing pain from the inside of his body.

 

"You have done well..... You can claim your reward in the afterlife"

 

A voice suddenly spoke inside the darkness. Hearing such spine chilling voice that gargles in the dark, Barth turns around.

 

There a pair of blue lights was flickering laudably.

 

"What....?"

 

"You don't need to understand. Your sacrifice will greatly aid my preparations"

 

The voice and the lights disappeared as though it wasn't even there afterwards. Barth's consciousness was slowly slipping away as he heard dripping noise coming closer to him.

 

Though it was dark, Barth could see it. Eyes. So many eyes blinking disgustingly with black gooey sludge that smells of tar, ammonia and rust.

 

"No....."

 

Barth trembled on the floor. His aching body convulsed every time his muscles contracts. Pain shot through the roof and made Barth unable to do anything but watch those eyes inch closer to him.

 

"No....Nhoo.....NNMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!??"

 

His dying scream was muffled and only sounds of bubbles popping inside a boiling pot could be heard after.

 

"The preparations are complete. Now to get that perfect new body"

 

The voice returns but this time, a skull with blue lights inside its eye sockets appeared. Wearing a worn out robe of pitch black shadow, the 13th Demon Lord emerged.

 

"My puppets will proceed as planned. Shoggoth, I order you to gale your brethren and walk around outside"

 

The wriggling mass of eyes trembled before collapsing into a puddle of muddy water.

 

The servant follows the command of it's master. In this case, the lord of death that once ate a god in order to gain power, was none other than the 13th Demon Lord, the Soul eater.

 

 

———

 

 

"Hero..."

 

A voice rang coldly in Taiga's ears.

 

"Hero...."

 

Cold air brushed back on his neck. Chilling air coils around his body, added by the pitch black darkness, it made Taiga flinched.

 

"Who's there!?"

 

"Kukuku.... Do you wish for power?"

 

"What?"

 

Like a devil's whisper, the voice rang closely to Taiga. Power, it was asking if he wanted power.

 

"I can grant you the power you need. All you need to do is listen to me"

 

It offered something Taiga was needing. In this cold and dark place where light doesn't exist, power was what Taiga needed to get out of this place.

 

This damn cage. Taiga grounded his teeth and clenched his fist.

 

"I don't care whoever you are, if you're going to give me something, make it fast!!"

 

"Kukuku....well then"

 

As the voice disappears, a deathly wail echoed from above. It was like a scream of a banshee or a terrifying screech of a woman dying in pain. But such voice didn't cause much fear to Taiga, nay, it invigorated him.

 

Then in an instant, a cold pale light of blue hue manifest before Taiga.

 

It was death.

 

"Who are you?"

 

"I am the 13th Demon Lord who ate the messenger of death himself, the Soul Eater"

 

A cold introduction from a skeleton with burning blue flames from the inside of his jet black torn robe. His skull was in flame and blue pale dots of lights flickered menacingly in its sockets. Then as the jaw cracked open, freezing air wrapped Taiga's body.

 

Slowly death approached the bounded young man and as he placed his bony hand onto the cage, the steel prison cracked......

 

 

 

———

 

 

Two swords of different size laid before Kuro. The two swords, Dawn and Dusk that was stolen from Kyoushuro was retrieved from Taiga upon his capture.

 

The two swords which symbolizes Kyoushiro's beginning in this world was now going back to his hands.

 

Kuro was joyous of this.

 

"At long last, he would be able to take back what's stolen from him. Not only that, I brought justice down on that fraud of a hero"

 

A short laughed escaped from Kuro's grin.

 

For the longest time, Kuro had been wanting to repay Kyoushiro for having improved the lifestyle in the wasteland. If it weren't for him, the families there would still be suffering right now.

 

"Now how should I give these back to him? I'm sure he'll be jumping for joy once I tell him the news"

 

Kuro snickered. The thought of Kyoushiro praising him for a job well down made Kuro a bit happy. For one thing, Kyoushiro's rewards weren't that disappointing. Making it more reason for Kuro to work hard for him.

 

"Haha! I can taste that strong brewed beer! Once this is over I'll take everyone for a drink. I'm sure Queen Arianne wouldn't mind that"

 

Money from Kyoushiro with bonus of more powerful weapons added by Arianne's permission to raid the brewery. It wouldn't be more better to work for people that has everything in their hands.

 

*Vrr...* The [Comms Link] trembled in Kuro's pocket.

 

"What is it?"

 

"[T-There's a problem commander!!]"

 

"?!"

 

Kuro suddenly stood up. Explosions rang on the other side of the [Comms Link].

 

"Oi!!"

 

"[C-Commander!! there's some crowd firing magic outside the castle!!]"

 

Another explosion was set off and this time, Kuro heard it.

 

"Tell the others to quickly take care of that. I'll go and see if the princess and Mikoto-sama are safe"

 

"[That's also a problem Sir!!]"

 

"What?!"

 

"[The... The soldiers left in the castle are fighting against each other!!]"

 

Ominous sounds echoed on the other side of the [Comms Link]. Kuro immediately tuck back the earpiece into his pockets before dashing out of the room....

 

 

———

 

At the training grounds, even the Black army soldiers were having an intense bout that caused shockwaves one after the other, shattering glass windows and tearing up the ground.

 

"Graaah!!"

 

"Nhraaa!!"

 

Wooden swords clashed and burst into splinters. Soldiers swinging their fists around and some using poles to beat the other one on the ground.

 

"Oi! What the hell are you guys doing?!!"

 

Nero jumped from the window and landed right before two soldiers of the black army.

 

"I said stop already! What's with yo—"

 

Nero's words were cut off as a real sword was swung over his head horizontally. It was Karm. In his hands was his great sword that could cleave through an orc in one swing.

 

"Damn it! Just what is going on with you all!?"

 

Confused, Nero tried to fight back. He dodged the attacks by slipping through the tight gaps between simultaneous attacks or nimbly maneuver here and there as fast as he could.

 

After all, this was the black army soldiers that was powered up by Kyoushiro's meddling. Their weapons and equipment boosted their physical abilities to the limit and enhances their senses as well. Not only that there were various enchantments that could resist magic and physical attacks at a certain level.

 

Sadly, mental corruption resistance weren't included in those enchantments.

 

"Damn it! I've had it with just dodging!!"

 

Nero's skill «King's roar» caused mental damages to the opponents. Causing them to be restricted by fear and confusion. The black army soldiers froze on their feet as Nero's skill worked.

 

However it didn't do him much as some soldiers of the Travestin army were joining up as well.

 

"Just what is...."

 

Nero groaned as he couldn't understand what was happening right now.

 

 

 

———

 

 

Mikoto dashed through the halls in order to find Lucinda. Because there was chaos unfolding almost everywhere outside the castle, she thought that Lucinda might be in danger.

 

"Lucinda-san..."

 

Worry invaded Mikoto's heart. She was worried that Lucinda might get caught up in this chaos with her current situation. Surely the king and queen would be protected by the Knights around the place but what about the staffs that was working in the castle?

 

That too made Mikoto hurry even more.

 

"Kuro-chan! Come out and help me!!"

 

*Awoo!!*

 

A large wolf swept Mikoto off of her feet as she ran through the empty halls.

 

"You guys too!! Uri-chan! Mio-chan! Cro-chan!!"

 

Once more Mikoto called out the other tamed monsters with her skill. Uri-chan was a large Flame Jaguar with red fire blazing on her fur. Mio-chan was a Black water spider that glides through the floor with water puddles at the end of it's eight arms. Cro-chan was a three eyed crow that has the ability to locate people hidden behind thick walls.

 

Using these three, Mikoto had them search around the castle and defend the other staff inside.

 

"Make sure everyone is alright!"

 

*Grraaol!!*

*Ii!!*

*Uack!!!*

 

The three tamed monsters splits up. Uri-chan went to a different hallway while Mio-chan and Cro-chan jumped out of the window.

 

"Kuro-chan let's pick up the pace"

 

*Wan!*

 

Kuro barked and increased his speed. As he did so they easily reached the staircase leading to other floors.

 

"Eh?! What are Bonemen doing inside the castle?!"

 

However right below the staircase were bonemen holding swords in their hands.

 

Mikoto was taken aback by this unknown event that was unfolding just about everywhere.

 

But there was no way she would let herself be defeated by the likes of such enemy.

 

Taking out her Magic bow [Robin] that she got from Kyoushiro's armory, Mikoto drew back the empty quiver and shot magic arrows at the lines of the undead.

 

"Kuro-chan! Run through them!!"

 

*Awoo!!*

 

As the large wolf Kuro-chan howled, ice formed at the bonemens' feet, locking them in place. Right after Kuro-chan charged through the hired of skeletons blocking the staircase.

 

 

 

3