CH. 14 – For now
184 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CH. 14 – For now

PART #1

"Graaawl!!"

Kuro's roar shot out loudly as he charged at Darrius and Clint. The pair of gauntlets that glimered with shiny gold luster and red Ruby eye at the face of the lion, clawed violently at the two corpses.

However, Clint dodged nimbly. His body, who had signs of decomposition, moved as though he was alive. Two arrows was shot.

"Hrrng!!"

Kuro broke the arrows aimed at him.

"Kuro-dono!"

Leticia chased from behind with her sword bursting with blue light. Kuro jumped back as he sensed something was creeping up behind him.

Darrius cut air as he missed Kuro's back with his twin daggers. Leticia had seen Darrius used his skill «Stealth» so many times since she had joined their party was a swordsman and a night toy.

Leticia's expression creased as her anger surged up, recalling how she was toyed by the two corpses before her back then.

"Magic Sword – «Stream Blade»!!"

The longsword surged like a straight river. The violent stream of magic power that was endowed with the water element created an attack that shoots forth a jet stream of water.

This would have been enough to cut down a human into two. However, this not Earth. 

As the attack ended, Darrius stood there with both of his arms guarding against the attack. 

"Damn it..."

"Don't worry about it"

Kuro's voice entered Leticia's ears. A large shadow leaped over her head and as she deflected three arrows coming her away, Kuro had swung down his large fist down at Darrius.

"Martial Skill – «Earth Breaker»!!"

*!?*

Darrius quickly jumped away from Kuro's attack. 

*Zudon!!* The fist that lost it's target crashed at the floor, breaking it down to the floor below. Kuro growls at Darrius in irritation, he then kicks the ground and leaps over the broken floor.

"Martial Skill – «Raging Blow Fist»!!!"

*DODODODODODO—!!!* Hundreds of punches rained down at Darrius. The sheer force of his fist was enough to break the walls, floor and even the windows. Cracked formed all-over in the hallway, and with the last punch, Kuro sends Darrius flying.

Clint, who was on the side, didn't wait and immediately attacked the moment he saw Kuro stopping. Kuro jumped back and landed beside Leticia.

*Boom!!*

The floor where Kuro was just down burst from Clint's magic arrow.

"They are rather tricky to deal with"

"They aren't supposed to be this strong though....."

Leticia muttered with her hand gripping tightly on her longsword. Kuro glanced at her then smiled.

"Then I shouldn't be holding back"

"Eh?"

Leticia was dumbfounded. She thought that Kuro was already fighting his all with him forcing the two walking corpses back. However, in truth, Kuro was only assessing their strength.

The current Darius and Clint we're tricky to deal with, however they weren't that strong to stop Kuro. To prove that, Kuro broke Darrius's daggers while he was trying to deflect Kuro's heavy fist. A cheap dagger wouldn't hold again a mighty gauntlet made from Magic Gold and Force rubies.

Added by the effects of Kuro's uniform, Kuro even became faster than before.

*Pah!*

The air exploded. Kuro had leaped the crack on the floor once more and kick over from the ceiling to the wall on the right before....

"Martial skill –«Earth Breaker»!!"

Kuro thrusts his right fist at Clint. Clint tries to dodge to the side but he was blown apart by Kuro's heavy fist. Not only that, the entire section of this castle was blown away.

"Hmph"

Kuro snorted.

"Tricky but they were already dead"

Kuro remarked as he returned to Leticia's side.

"That was...."

Amazingly....— Leticia couldn't hold back her words as she was lost for words when she witnessed such powerful attack. Darrius and Clint we're strong because they leveled up alongside Taiga and their levels should have been around over 100 before they died.

But Kuro just blew them away with a punch.

"Let's go, there is no time to dawdle"

"A-Alright...."

Leticia awkwardly nodded before heading over to the stairs. 

While they were climbing up, Leticia couldn't help but be curious about Kuro's level. Then when she asked about it, Kuro just smirked and said...

"240"

Then he hurried up his pace and climb faster than Leticia. Speechless by such number that only heroes should have Leticia suddenly stopped.

Her feet stopped at the 3rd step of the stairs near the next floor. 

Because she just realized something.

The person who she fought with was someone that serves the other hero, Kyoushiro Kagami. Then between Kuro and Taiga's party members, he was clearly the strongest.

Even Ricardo, which was only level 112 before he died would have had trouble fighting Kuro.

"No, it's not the time to be thinking about this"

Leticia shook her head and quickly climbed up.

It wasn't the right time to think about who was better between the two heroes. After all, there was an emergency happening right now in the city.

Then as she ascends the stairs, explosions shook the castle.....

Nero had taken down most of the Black army soldiers. It took long but he was able to subdue them enough to make them groan in their sleep.

"You guys are seriously annoying. I should have just stayed in the ship instead with you guys"

Surrounded by groaning soldiers, Nero made such annoyed remark while wrapping a cloth over his left thigh. 

Not just that, Nero was covered in cuts and bruises. He was fighting the army Kyoushiro improved after all. It was already unbelievable that he didn't lost an arm or a leg fighting them.

"Ugh.....eh? Captain?"

"Yo, looks like you woke up. Care to tell me wh—"

*Boom!!!*

The castle wall was suddenly blasted off from the outside. Magic Iron Knights quickly flew to the area above the hole on the wall and shot their magic bullets from the barrels of their fingers.

Nero's eyes narrowed as he had no clue what the Magic Iron Knights we're firing at.

As some of the Black army soldiers began to regain consciousness, another explosion came.

*Boom!!*

It was from the front gate.

"S-Sir. Nero!!"

One of the gate guards ran towards Nero wounded. Nero stood up and ordered the rest to get back up on their feet.

"What happened?"

"The.... The city.... The city is being attack!!"

The gate guard pointed at the smoke rising from outside the castle walls. Nero quickly ran over to the fallen gates to see what was happening.

It was there that he saw hell breaking lose.

Hundreds of zombies and skeleton soldiers were attacking citizens. Some guards were fighting off the horde of undead but they were being overwhelmed with numbers.

With the whole situation turning grim by the second, Nero couldn't do anything but grit his teeth and glare at the chaos outside.

His mission was to stay and protect Princess Lucinda. He already disobeyed the order when he left her alone with the twins.

"Damn it..... I hope Commander won't be mad at me for this"

Nero took a deep breath as he faced back behind the gates and gazed the soldiers forming around him.

Both the Travestin Soldiers and the Black army were standing by and waiting for orders. Nero glanced at everyone's face and sure enough, they didn't hold any negative feelings about Nero giving orders, especially those who held prejudice against Demon Spawns.

"Listen up!! The whole city is under attack right now. None of us has any idea what's going on or who instigated this attack. Now there are us here who has still enough strength to save them so either some of you stay here and guard the castle or come with me and protect the city"

"........"

No one answered. The Black army soldiers only snickered as they all pulled their weapons out from their scabbards. The rest of the Travestin soldiers..... they glanced around at each other before giving a nod.

Nero grinned happily.

"Well then! Fellow soldiers of the country of Travestin! Follow me and save the city and it's people!!"

"OOOOOUUU!!!" Everyone replied energetically. There was no discrimination, everyone raised their swords and Spears above their heads and yelled loudly.

The Travestin Soldiers already saw what the Black army was capable of. They only need to follow their lead.

That was enough.

"Let's go!!"

Nero shouted. He lead the rescue mission and left the castle to the Magic Iron Knights that was surrounding the castle.

PART #2

Mikoto and Kuro-chan, cleaned up the undead that was roaming inside the castle. She took the staffs of the castle to kitchen cellar to keep them safe them and left a tamed monster to guard them.

Now she was running around to look for Inomiri-sensei who should still be asleep on the third floor. Then as soon as Mikoto reached the room where Inomiri-sensei was, a Lich appeared.

"Kuro-chan, keep him busy"

*Grrrrrrr*

Kuro-chan growled at the Lich as Spears of ice were forming above Kuro-chan's head. Mikoto nodded then enters the room to wake Inomiri-sensei up.

"Shizuka-sensei!"

Mikoto called out to the lady sleeping on the couch. She shook Inomiri-sensei up and woke her up. Though forceful and rude, it was needed in this situation, Mikoto dump cold water on Inomiri-sensei to wake her up.

"Uwaaah!? W-What just.....Eh? Aizawa-san? why did you—"

"No time to explain Sensei! We need your help right now, the whole city is under attack!! There's bunch of undead in the castle!"

"Eh?! Just what happened while I was asleep?! Also, what happened to Kurosawa-kun? Is he safe?"

"I don't think this is the right time for that! Sensei, we got to—"

*Boom!!*

*Gyain!*

Kuro-chan suddenly burst into the room through the wall. 

"Kuro-chan!? Tsk!"

Mikoto ran to Kuro-chan's side and took out her magic bow she got from Kyoushiro from the storage ring . A long golden bow mixed with white colors, [Artemis Bow].

Mikoto created a brilliant golden colored arrow and shot it towards the Lich. The Lich receives the attack with a barrier and safely enters the room.

"Aizawa-san, get down!"

Inomiri-sensei called out as she casted a Holy magic spell that shot Spears of light using her skill «Divine Spears»

The Lich, taken by surprise by the new enemy was unable to dodge or to make a barrier to protect itself and dies.

As the enemy disappeared, the quickly got out of the room.

"Aizawa-san, just what is happening?"

"No one knows. Just suddenly, undead monsters began appearing inside the castle. There's even something going on outside"

"I see... where are the others?"

"They went up to the towers for safety. I came here to look for you while assisting in saving the others"

Mikoto and Inomiri-sensei quickly rode Kuro-chan and ran towards upstairs. 

"Then, Lucinda-sama is safe?"

"I think so, I actually just went and run out when the commotion started. I accidentally left Sensei alone on this floor so I hurried back"

"........."

Inomiri-sensei paused for a moment after hearing that.

Probably sensing that Inomiri-sensei didn't like being left alone when a bunch of monsters were popping out of nowhere, Mikoto apologized.

"I'm sorry Shizuka-sensei, it was kind of an emergency so...."

"It's fine, besides, we need to help the others outside first"

"Alright. Kuro-chan, please go outside. I'll call out everyone as well"

*Woof!!*

Kuro-chan barked for affirmation and turned around. For now, Lucinda was safe under Kuro's protection. Rea and Lea were there as well so there shouldn't be any problem.

I hope we can settle this quickly— Mikoto wished so in her heart as Kuro-chan broke a wall before jumping outside.

Wrap in utter chaos, the city was currently under a hellfire of destruction. Looking outside the windows above the tower, the Magic Iron Knights we're doing their job in destroying every piece of undead attacking the castle.

However, they were only doing just that and not considering the civilians that were running for their safety.

"Just what is going on....."

Lucinda peers outside with a worried look on her face.

She and the others arrived at the east tower safely. Mikoto's tamed monsters have saved more than enough staffs in the castle and mostly protected the place where they were hidden.

Right now wthe whole city was a battlefield. No one knows what was happening and how it all began.

"Retribution....."

Aria suddenly mutters. The little girl who was curled up in the corner muttered so with deep seething hatred in her tone.

Lucinda turns away from the window and looked her little sister.

"Aria...? What are you..."

"It is retribution Onee-sama. For robbing Taiga-sama of his right of being a hero"

Aria slowly stands up and walks to the window. For her, this sight was the revenge of the gods for damning their chosen hero. The whole city was suffering because of their ignorance.

Lucinda suddenly took hold of Aria's shoulders and shook her to make her come to her senses.

"This? Retribution? What kind of princess thinks like that of her own people?!!"

It was sad to see that her own sister sees the chaos outside as divine retribution. Her own people were screaming and wailing in pain and panic. They were being hurt and killed senselessly and the whole city which was the very face of the country was being ravaged without even an ounce of fighting back.

There was hardly enough soldiers to help protect the city and there was hardly even adventurers joining in to save the city.

It was because the soldiers were conscripted by Taiga.

It was because the adventurers moved to another city because of Taiga's party's selfishly doing whatever they wanted.

It was Taiga that drove the city into a state where the city was unguarded. It was Taiga that drove the kingdom into travesty.

"Aria, you are a princess that should be thinking of the welfare and safety of your people!! It is our duty as royals to govern them and protect them!! How could you just abandon them because of your false pretenses?!"

"Tsk!"

Aria shook of Lucinda's hold of her and took a step back with a scowl on her face.

"False pretenses?! Mine!? Aren't you the same Onee-sama?! You chose a criminal to be your partner instead of completed taking the throne and ruled the kingdom when mother was sick!! It was you who abandoned everyone just because of that criminal!!"

"........."

"If only you properly did your duty as the heiress apparent, then we would not be in this kind of mess! Please do not selfishly point your finger at me when you have done the same thing as me!!"

".........."

"You were already acting as mother's replacement yet you went and did whatever you wanted. Me and Onii-sama had no intention of taking the throne as it was already decided that it was you that will inherit the crown! But you chose to be with that criminal hero!"

Lucinda couldn't utter a word back. She knew her choice made it hard for her father to take care of the royal duties of a Queen alone. The other nobles didn't even tried to help him out and merely exploited the chance Lucinda had given them.

If Lucinda had acted like a royal should be, she wouldn't be bearing the child of the man she loves and instead, she would be by the side of her father properly ruling the kingdom.

"I am not the one being selfish Onee-sama, it was you that was one"

Selfish. Lucinda was indeed selfish. She chose to follow her heart instead of the duties as the next Queen. Aria's words cut deep inside Lucinda's heart.

"Aria.... I"

*Blag!!* The door suddenly flew open.

"Aria! Lucinda!!"

"It looks like you two are alright....."

King Verdik and Queen Isabelle as well as the knights that escorted them have arrived at the east tower. Behind them were Kuro and Leticia.

"Niya, it's good you prioritized her highness first. Good work"

Kuro greeted Niya and the twins with praise as soon as he locked up the door. Leticia breathes out slowly as she settles her ragged breath after running around for so long.

Queen Isabelle then looks around before asking Lucinda something.

"Where's your brother? I thought he would be here?"

"He is not in the castle mother. Have you forgotten that you have ordered him to work with Alfred-sama in the other dry regions"

Fortunately, the first prince was safe along with the court mage. If ever the king and queen then the princess die in this battle, there would be one royal that would continue the royal bloodline.

Queen Isabelle sighed in relief. King Verdik then lead the Queen to an empty seat to relax while the soldiers were guarding the door.

Lucinda took a moment to take a deep breath before facing Aria again.

"Fuuuu..... let us not fight right now Aria. It is not the best time for this"

"........"

Aria quietly turned her head away from her sister and returned to the corner of the room.

However, just then, Kuro received a call from Mordred. Immediately, he took out the Comms Link and placed in his ear.

But the call was short and the words only say "Enemy attack. Reinforcement impossible"

It was enough for Kuro know what happened to Mordred and it's crew while they were away resupplying.

An enemy attacked on the base created for the sake of resupplying Mordred. However, the attack proved fatal for the crew and the ship to provide reinforcement. Kuro easily deduced the message sent to him.

With a slow motion, Kuro stored back the Comms Link into his pocket then walked to Lucinda.

"Your Highness, may I have a word?"

"Yes?"

Lucinda turned her head to the large lion faced Commander of the Black army. Kuro wore an expression as though he had lost something important to him. Lucinda sees such face and quickly wore a serious face.

"What is the current situation Commander?"

"I have just received a call from Mordred. Unfortunately, they are attacked and cannot provide us any means of support"

"......."

Widened eyes, the shock Lucinda fell silent. However, Kuro continued.

"I wish for permission to leave your presence"

"I do not mind since you are not part of the Travestin army. But..."

"Please don't worry. Niya has been trained by Nero himself and Rea and Lea are experts in assassinations. They should be able to provide you defense even while I am gone"

Niya, the brother of Nero was more or less given a strict training by Nero long before Ambrosia was formed. Rea and Lea on the other hand are a pair of slaves that were used for assassinations by a certain underground organization. Even if Kuro were to leave right now, the three of them should be enough to fend off a dozen or two enemies.

"But where are you going?"

"I'll look for the culprit that started this mess. What's more, in case of emergency, I was given by my king a special item"

Kuro pulled out a blue crystal from his storage ring. It was a large 12 inch crystal with ancient text carved on the largest portion of the crystal and a round flat plate under it.

"This is the same piece of material the barrier Ambrosia uses. Although this is small, the whole castle should be protected for about an entire day"

Kyoushiro had dabbled with the large monolith found in Ambrosia once. Since it was supposed to be a device that produced a large barrier around the kingdom at the time, Kyoushiro experimented on it. One of those experiments yeilded the the magic item Kuro was holding.

"Are you planning on setting this up inside the castle?"

"Yes. Once the barrier is up, even the monsters inside the castle would be repelled out of the castle"

"I see.... Very well. Please do what you need to do. Also, you can bring some of the soldiers with you to help you out"

"No, it's fine your highness. I should be enough to break through the enemy inside the castle. I'll be going back to the throne room to set the barrier up"

"Understood. Then, please be careful"

"Yes"

Kuro lowered his head before walking towards Niya and the twins to explain the situation. For the meantime, they would be able to take a breather while the barrier was set up.

1