Prologue
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was always told that I was a fool, by my family, friends, and even strangers at times, but it never really affected me. I joined the adventurer guild and even created my own party to follow my dream, to help people, to become famous across the four kingdoms, and to achieve the same level of power I admired in those who already reached the zenith of the adventurer world, those who reached the rank of [KING V] …but I suppose my ambitions outpaced my ability.

How ironic is it, I’m dying on the same night my party made [PAWN IV]. Where did we go wrong? Was it picking an unclassified quest? Were we just too happy about our promotion that we let our pride get the better of us? Does it even matter now?

“w-wait, please… I’m begging you, STOP.”

That voice, it's undeniably Maya’s. She just bought new armor, but I guess it doesn’t matter against a group of demons. How stupid of me, that quest looked so simple, missing cattle, trashed homes, and a kidnapped maiden. All clues led me to conclude that it wasn’t anything more than a standard goblin hunt, the perfect quest to test out our new skills and gear… who would’ve thought a group of lower demons would be luring in low-level adventurers to their deaths using such a twisted method.

They are terrifying, so much so that only a [BISHOP III] or higher party could take on a single one in battle, and we just ran into five of them.

“NO NOOO PLE—”

Her cries stopped. They’re finally done toying with her… I’m sorry Maya, I should’ve saved you, no I shouldn’t have approached you to join me to begin with. Not that it matters, I tried to save Yuko a few minutes ago and now I can see my own guts hanging out of my body. I’m weak, so dreadfully weak.

*stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp*

I’m sorry guys, I failed you, I couldn’t even kill one of these monsters let alone all of them, but I’ll be joining you soon, because those footsteps are definitely headed for me.

*stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp*

I always thought I was okay with dying on the battlefield, I thought it was better than rotting away in an herb shop or temple for years… but I think I was lying to myself all this time. because right now-

*stomp* *stomp*

-I really am afraid.

“hmmm, yeah, you’ll do nicely.” A voice? Who is it? Damn it my eyes, I can barely keep them open, let alone actually see anything.

“say boy, do you want to live? You better give me your answer quickly before that abomination reaches you. Just know that if you do say yes, you also agree to enter the service of his majesty, Lord Hydaal, king of the gods as an entertainer, that is to say, you agree to join The Tartarus Contest.”

Hahahaha, king of the gods you say, I must’ve lost too much blood… but even if it was real, what is there to live for? The shame? The loneliness? No, there is nothing here for me anymore—

“oh, have I mentioned? If you win the Contest and reach the finish line on the tenth floor, you can have any wish granted. Unlimited wealth, love, power, or maybe the return of a loved one from beyond the grave, nothing is beyond the abilities of his majesty.”

What is he saying? A wish? Any wish?

“c’mon just open your mouth and say it, those three little words and you won't have to die here.”

I can fix this. I can bring them back.

“c’mooon already, I don’t have much time man, that demon is closing in and if I don’t fill up a spot on the roster I’ll get fired, or worst. Just open your mouth already.”

Damn it, I can’t. It hurts, everything hurts.

“oh damn it, this a dead end, I will definitely get chewed out from this, but at least not as bad as this guy, haha, I do crack myself up.”

No, the voice is getting further away! I don’t have much time left I have to do it, c’mon body, don’t fail me now, just push through. “y-ye…s” did he hear me? Is he still even there?

“wh-WHAT? I did it? I’m safe! You won’t regret this decision my friend, you are wise beyond words, and that tenacity will come in handy soon. Now with that word spoken, our pact is sealed and thus I shall raise from perdition and prepare you for your destiny.”

This… light, warmth. Is it… healing me? The pain is fading away, no I am. My whole body is being taken somewhere else… whatever, it doesn’t matter, I don’t care what I have to do, I will bring them. Now let me see what this Tartarus is all about.

1