Chapter 45: A Grand Game (2)
322 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

---

"The only way to do something is to do it. You can't think about it, you can't talk about it. You just need to do it."

- Katsuki Bakugo, My Hero Academia

---

<(Atem POV)>  

[Chain Quest Title: Lost Remnants of the Elder Races] 

 [1st Quest (1/3): A Game with the Grandmaster]

 [1st Quest (1/3) Description: You have met one of the Elders of the Universe for the first time. The Grandmaster is the last member of one of the oldest races formed during the Big Bang itself. However, does that make him better than you, a God? The answer is no. So, make a bet with the Grandmaster and then prove your superiority over him by beating him at one of his own games, while winning the bet. The nature of the game doesn't matter as long as there is a clear winner

 [2nd Quest (2/3): ???

 [2nd Quest (2/3) Description: ???

 [3rd Quest (3/3): ???

 [3rd Quest (3/3) Description: ???

[Chain Quest Reward: ???]

[Chain Quest Penalty: None] 

[Accept / Reject]

Now, this is unusual. I can't seem to see the latter two parts of the quest or even the rewards. So, there is a possibility that this might be one of the easiest quests I have ever done or it might just be a suicide mission... But since there is no penalty, accepting it shouldn't cause any major disadvantages for me. Even if I don't complete the entire chain quest, I will just be missing out on the reward but if I do succeed somehow, then there is a chance that I would be making an immense profit.

Concluding this in my mind, I immediately accepted the quest and focused my attention back on the Grandmaster. Even though it might seem from the outside that I had been thinking to myself for a while, however, due to the processing speed of my brain it has only been a few seconds in reality.

"What I want if I win against you is this planet and everything on it. Simple, right?" I asked with a charming smile, acting like I didn't just ask him to put forward his entire empire as a bet. 

Grandmaster wasn't the only one surprised by my words because as soon as I said it, almost everyone who had heard my words immediately stopped whatever they were doing and focused on me. There were smiles on some faces like they were watching something entertaining, some looked worried for me, and some just didn't care and looked at me like I was wasting their time. However, most people including the golden armor-wearing red-skinned Imperial had an expression of unhinged anger on their faces.

The Fantastic Four behind me also looked pretty shocked by my request but they still didn't try to oppose me. Even Reed who looked like he wanted to get more involved in the conversation wisely kept his mouth shut. 

"You dare try to take advantage of the Grandmaster's compassion? You should be melted down for this." The human-looking woman beside the Grandmaster shouted in her hoarse voice as she struck a statue with the tip of her staff, immediately melting it into goo. 

Witnessing this, I immediately used my psionic tendrils to stretch over through the entire 'royal court' as I slowly began taking over the minds of the cockroach-like soldiers here. They had the weakest minds among every other species present here along with the highest numbers, so taking control of them was the most efficient way to gather a force of my own in case the Grandmaster suddenly decided to not humor a challenge today.

"Calm down Toph. Gosh, you become excited so easily nowadays. Relax. Take some deep breaths or something. You should join that yoga class I recommended to you... But still, she isn't completely wrong, you know? Your demand is too much, Afrit? I agree that the crystal you possess does have quite some value but compared to this entire planet? No, I don't think I value it that much." Grandmaster instead of getting angry, chuckled heartily as he got ready to deny my request. 

"But it's not about the trophy or the bet, is it? It's about who wins the game. You are the grandmaster, the lord of games. You would never lose against someone like me, so why hesitate? Why not just play and enjoy it? By the way, it's Atem, not Afrit. I don't even know what Afrit means." I egged him on, trying to play on his pride.

The Grandmaster probably knew that I was trying to manipulate him using his ego. He should at least be that smart since he was billions of years old. But that didn't stop him from deeply considering it. He was the Grandmaster. Games and challenges were the purpose of his very immortal existence. Denying a challenge without any significant reason would be the same as denying himself the purpose of continuing his life.

"I will accept... if you agree to become my eternal slave in case you lose. I could use someone like you in my weekly orgies. Furthermore, your magnificent naked body as a living sculpture inside my royal court would look amazing." He confidently stated with a smile as he closed his eyes, trying to vividly imagine the scene in his mind.

"... Deal" I somehow uttered through clenched teeth as I tried my best to keep my face from visibly twitching.

Of course, I had no intention of keeping my word even if I lost which I was sure I wouldn't. I have so many godly powers that losing a game against him would be really difficult for me, even if I just gave half the effort.

"Amazing. We have a deal. A tournament will be held a day from now which will decide the fate of this planet. If I win, I get Atmaram and his friends as my eternal slaves along with that black crystal and if he wins, he will get the planet along with everything on it. As for which game we will play? Since I am the one being challenged, I have the complete right to decide it. So, let's see..., how about a Death race? Yeah, that sounds good, We will play a no-holds-barred Death Race..." He excitedly announced to the entire city as a massive hologram of him suddenly appeared outside the building. 

"Oh and by the way, now that we have a deal, can you let my little bug soldiers go? Your mind control might ruin their hive mind-like mental structure I paid the High Evolutionary so much for. The last time they were affected by a powerful telepath, a major portion of my army messed up their sense of direction and balance which was a pain in the ass for me since they wasted gallons of expensive wine by dropping every glass or bottle they held in their hands." The Grandmaster complained with a sad face as he reminisced about his past, his body still in the same relaxed posture despite knowing that I had control over almost all of the bug soldiers in the room.

"You knew?" I asked. This Grandmaster was a LOT more confident, braver, and smarter than the one in the movies. The MCU one almost seems like a cheap parody when compared to him.

"Of course I did. Psionic energy is the easiest thing to recognize and trace in a closed space like this. I am somewhat of a telepath myself after all. In fact, it's because of this immense telepathic power you possess that I even allowed you to negotiate with me for a game instead of just taking all of you as slaves.

In addition to that, do you really think I wouldn't know the weaknesses of my own army? I have been thinking of getting them some anti-mind control tech but I have been a little bit tight on the budget lately. So I just stopped caring, especially since mind control on them only works so well when there isn't a queen nearby. Believe me, if you had tried this with one of their queens directly controlling them, every one of these little fighters in the vicinity would have launched an all-out war on you." The Grandmaster said as he affectionately rubbed the head of the nearest Spike soldier, pretending it was his cherished dog.

"Hmm." I hummed as I released my control over the soldiers.

"Goody. Now Toph, be a good girl and take these gentlemen... and lady to a private room. That guy in that back really looks like he needs some rest. Maybe he is suffering from diarrhea or something." H muttered the last part to himself as he glanced at Ben who looked like he could pass out any time. "You five need to be at your very best tomorrow at the game. I am going to be announcing it as the GAME OF THE YEAR, so a lot of people are going to be coming. Your performance needs to be exceptional to be able to entertain all of them. Moreover, I would have too much trouble resurrecting you if you all die too much of a messy death with all your body parts scattered everywhere around the arena." 

"Wait, five? I think you are mistaking something. I am the only one who will be participating in the race against you." I interrupted him with a frown.

"Yeah, that's actually not going to happen. A Death race with just two participants doesn't sound that entertaining. We need at least a dozen. The more deaths, the better the show. But if you are worried about cars, don't. I will make sure to get all of you really good ones if you can't buy or make them your own. However, any problems with those cars do not come under our warranty, so don't blame us later if you suddenly find a brake or two missing." The Grandmaster shrugged helplessly like he was genuinely sad about the bad service.

'Shit!' I thought to myself as I took a look at the horrified faces of the four people standing behind me. 

I not only had to win the race while staying alive but also keep four other people alive as well with all of their limbs preferably intact.

'Great, more work.' I released a tired sigh in my mind.

---

Don't forget to 'comment' and 'favorite' this chapter if you like it.

Also, you can check out my Patreon page as well to read ahead or to support your amazing author.

Right now I have about 20 chapters in advance there.

(My Patreon uses the new billing method which means if you pledge on the 15th of this month, you will have to pay again on the day you pledged, i.e., the 15th of the next month. So whenever you subscribe, you will get a whole month.

patreon.com/God_Doom

12