Prologue (1)
433 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Drr Rrring―!

"Uh ah!? 

I was startled awake by the sound of the alarm next to me. I didn't hesitate to turn it off, but right as I touched my phone, I realized my hand was soaking in sweat. No. Not just my hand, but my entire body. 

"What in the world…" 

I pinched my shirt and pulled it apart from my chest. It was sticky and wet. 

'Not this again.'

One might think I just ran a marathon with all the sweat that had accumulated. 

"Ugh." 

I couldn't help but groan. 

This wasn't how my morning was supposed to start. 

"Ah, shit." 

I ruffled my messy hair, feeling a certain throb coming over my head. Lifting my body up, I looked at my mattress and blankets which were also soaked in my sweat.

Well, fuck. 

Cleaning up was going to take a bit. 

But that was beside the point. 

'Why is this happening again?' 

This wasn't the first time I'd woken up like this. It had happened multiple times in the past, and each time, I'd wake up with the bedsheets soaked. But I couldn't figure out exactly why I was like this. Not even the doctors knew. 

Ting―!

My attention quickly shifted toward my phone where a message appeared. 

[Hey Liam, I'm at the testing center. I'll wait for you outside.]

"Ah, right." 

Right. I almost forgot.

My mood quickly shifted at the message and I put my phone down and looked around me. Several papers were scattered around, each with the words [Job Application] written in bold. 

Rubbing my eyes, I helped myself up and headed for the shower.

The dreaded day had finally come. 

***

Following the advent of mana two centuries ago, Earth underwent a staggering transformation.

The tectonic plates underwent significant shifts, leading to the alteration of ecosystems and the disappearance of familiar landscapes. Established countries ceased to exist, and the world that was known changed.

Instead, an intriguing phenomenon unfolded gradually, as fragments of land emerged from beneath the Earth's crust and rose into the air.

These newfound land masses varied in size, ranging from expanses comparable to cities to those akin to diminutive nations.

These newly formed land masses became known as 'Floating Islands'.

Aptitude Center — Malovia Island.

A large building loomed over, casting a shadow on the area beneath. It was a sleek and imposing structure of steel and glass. Its exterior was a symphony of angles and curves, reflecting the sun's rays in a dazzling display of light and color.

"Here we go again."

I inwardly sighed while gazing at the enormous structure before me. It wasn't a sight I was unfamiliar with as it had been the fifth time I'd been here over the past five years.

Even now, staring at the building, I can't bring myself to think anything positive of it.

There weren't negative memories either, but the thought of the money I tended to lose every time I went made my heart ache a little.

...There were a lot of things I could buy with that money.

'Wait, would that count as a negative thought?' 

Hmmm. 

Rummaging through my pockets, my hand paused on a light brown box. I fiddled with it before shaking my head.

"Not yet..."

I moved toward the building.

"...Not yet."

*

As I approached the entrance, the automatic doors whooshed open, revealing a cavernous lobby filled with the sounds of rushing water and the scent of fresh flowers.

A massive waterfall cascaded down one wall while towering planters brimming with greenery lined the others. The marble floor gleamed under the bright lights, polished to a mirror-like shine.

"Don't beat yourself up if the results are bad. It's not a big deal."

A hand pressed against my shoulder and when I turned, I looked at the familiar figure. He was a bit taller than me and had brown hair with a few strands of white.

"Well... I'm not expecting much anyway."

I shook my head, making my way toward the reception desk.

"If the test goes bad, then I'll just carry on with the plans I've already made."

"...That's a bit of a pity."

"Nothing I can do."

I shrugged my shoulders and arrived before the reception desk. A beautiful young lady with her hair tied in a bun greeted me with a smile.

"Are you here to take a test?"

"Yes."

"Mhm."

She lowered her head and glanced at her desk.

"First time?"

"No," I shook my head and smiled bitterly before adding. "...Fifth time."

"Ah."

The receptionist raised her head and smiled awkwardly. She seemed uncertain of what to say until she eventually slid a small note on the desk.

"You're in luck today. We don't have many people taking the test today so you can just go to the testing center and get the test done."

"Thanks."

I politely nodded my head and received the slip. Taking one quick glance at it, I placed it in my pocket.

"Well, I guess this is it."

I looked to my right.

"Wish me luck, Elbert."

"...Good Luck."

As expected of my good friend Elbert. My only friend. There was no conviction in his words. He spoke as if he already knew the result of my test. I sighed to myself. Partly because I thought the same as him too.

I had already given up hope on the third failed attempt. At this point, I was just here out of habit.

'Well, let's get this over with.'

With that, I made my way toward a familiar iron gate. One that I was accustomed to seeing. 

*** 

Clank―! 

'You've already failed two times. I think it's best if you stop now.'

'I'm not telling you to give up. With your skills, you'd make an excellent instructor. One of the best. It's just that... Aish.'

Clank―! 

'...What did you think about what I said last year?' 

'Are you even listening to us?'

Clank―!

'"Hey?!'

Clank―! Clank―! 

'...'

'...'

'...'

I was alone before I knew it.

Just me, and my sword. 

Clank―! 

It had been like this for quite a while.

The rough feel of the grip, the gleam of the sword's edge, and its weight. They were all I knew. 

For the sake of my dream, I threw everything away. Back then I was confident. Confident that I'd reach my dream. Confident that I'd become a Star Chaser. 

But... 

『Fail.』 

『Fail.』 

『Fail.』 

『Fail.』 

『Fail.』 

The words on the testing room screen remained unchanged. 

I could only return from where I came from, hoping for a next time. 

Each time.

I'd see the people I once used to call friends dwindle steadily.

They used to come and cheer me up whenever I failed, but the more I failed, the more I immersed myself in my training.

I drowned out everything and just focused on what was in front of me. 

I'd swing my sword over and over again. 

Even if I bled and my body gave way, I'd swing my sword. 

I'd swing. 

Swing. 

...and swing. 

It was all I knew. 

Clank―! 

I started ignoring those whom I regarded as friends, and as the years flew by, they stopped contacting me.

Perhaps, they had even forgotten about me. 

"...You reap what you sow."

Unknowingly, the edges of my lips curled as my grip of the sword tightened. Sweat continuously dripped down from the side of my face. 

Drip. Drip. 

Red stained the pool of sweat that had formed beneath me. 

My hand felt numb. 

But I still swung. 

Clank―! 

I continued doing the only thing I knew to do. 

Swing. 

'Right, this is on me.'

Clank―! 

Who else could I blame but myself? 

Clank―! 

There was no one else to blame for this but me. 

Clank―! 

But... 

I tightened my grip on the sword before I swung it with all my might. 

All my resentment, anger, and bottled-up feelings. 

I put everything in that strike. 

CLANK―! 

"Akh!" 

The echoing clash reverberated through the empty auditorium as my grip weakened and my sword tumbled to the ground.

Cli― Clank―! 

"Haa... Haaa..." 

I looked up at the lights above me as they continuously flickered. 

"What.... did I do this for?" 

I had failed. 

Again. 

...and for what? 

Another failure. 

"Fu..ck." 

I covered my face with both hands. 

All my sacrifices. Everything I had done to reach my goal. They had been for nothing. 

Year after year, I continued to postpone it, clutching onto the dwindling hope I still harbored. Yet, at 27, reality finally settled in.

There was no longer any hope for me. 

I had practically wasted my prime. 

It was time... for me to give. 

"Yo, you finished?" 

A voice pierced the silence embracing me, and I turned my head. I recognized the person in question immediately. 

"It's you." 

"It's me..." 

Carrying a small plastic bag, Elbert looked around me before settling his gaze on me. Perhaps already used to my whims, he didn't say much about my condition and just flashed a small box that he waved with his hand. 

"Want one?" 

I nodded my head. 

"...Sure." 

That was the last thing I could remember before the world suddenly froze. 

13