A day off (2)
107 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pubs were usually spots where folks went to unwind with a drink after a tough day at work. It was pretty common for people to swing by after work to let out all the stress built up during the day.

Bars offered various forms of entertainment, like pool tables and the like. However, on this particular day, a lot of the eyes were glued to the television at the back of the bar.

And as expected, more than one glance was directed my way.

That was because moments ago a small teaser of the show appeared, and even if it was a short glimpse, you could see my face. Still, that only lasted for a brief moment before people stopped paying attention on focused their attention back on their drinks. 

Thankfully. 

"You… I really would've missed this had it not been for you calling me out tonight. I really can't believe you actually didn't say anything to me."

"That was the point."

"And, yet, we still ended up watching it, right? What are the chances?"

"Slim to none."

I simply gave up and continued to drink the beer in front of me.

All I felt was numb.

Elbert pounded the table lightly as he let out a hearty laugh, 

"Hahaha. This is karma. I'm telling you this is karma for hogging such a group all to yourself and not telling me anything."

"It's not like I could choose the group I got assigned to."

"But that doesn't change the fact that you did."

At that, I could only silently sip on my beer again. How was I supposed to argue with that?

He had already made up his mind to hold me accountable for this. Whatever argument I tried to throw at him, he'd just deflect it with some random excuse. 

He had always been like this. Even during the Academy days a decade ago. It was probably this stubbornness of his that stopped him from ditching me.

Crazy bastard.

He was a crazy bastard.

"I forgot to ask, Liam."

"What?"

"This… interview. Will you be in it? Judging from your reaction, you seem to be in it, but how much? I'm kind of curious."

"Too long."

I was simply in it for too long. At least that was aware of.

Mia had more than once brought me into the mix and the last video…

I ground my teeth. 

'The last video…'

"Oh! It's starting!"

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Elbert who hurriedly pointed at the television with an unusual eagerness.

"I can't wait to see you make a fool of yourself."

The TV flashes and the large logo of 'Vanity Daily' popped up on the screen.

The bar, which had previously been bustling, quieted down a little bit as some people turned their focus on the television. This was especially so for Elbert who put down his drink and stared intently at the television.

Wait, was that his phone?

"Are you recording this?"

"Shhh!"

The show started. Walking into the studio was Dyrk, friendly as I had seen him back on set. Then, the cameras rolled to the other groups before stopping on Blue Daisy. 

That's when Elbert clicked his tongue once again from beside me again and muttered,

"Lucky bastard."

The surroundings had gotten a tad bit quieter as some of those who weren't paying attention focused on the girls on the screen, if only for a brief moment.

Even so.

I felt a slight tinge of pride seeing their head turn when the girls showed up rather than the other groups.

That's right. Keep looking.

Maybe, if you look long enough you'll become fans.

"Oh! I think I see you!"

Elbert pointed out at the screen and it was there that I also spotted myself. Thankfully, it was only brief. 

That was what I thought until I spat my drink in my mouth as the angle changed and I could see my face very clearly on the screen… and closely.

Beneath me a small title appeared, saying; 'Liam Marken, Blue Daisy Managed'

"Oh, wow."

Even Elbert was taken aback by the situation as he turned to look at me while blinking slowly.

"…Why does it look like you're trying to kill someone in there? No, never mind. That's how you usually look all the time. But it does seem a little more intense than usual."

I didn't answer and merely continued to stare at the television. It was finally starting to dawn on me.

The reason why I was allowed to take a day off.

That bastard!

Dean had probably been sent the clip beforehand and probably judged it was best if I took a day off for what was to come.

The worst thing about the situation was the fact that I was the only manager that was introduced. All the other managers were not even brought up on the screen.

"It can't be, right?" 

I was all of a sudden starting to get a bad feeling as my stomach started to drop and I secretly prayed that I was wrong.

That whatever I was imagining was merely the fruit of my own imagination and that it was just me being paranoid.

Please. Let me be wrong.

Please…

The show continued despite my prayers. From the introductions to the light banter between the groups and the MC until finally, the quick-fire questions began with the other groups. 

The attention of the people around us had long been away from the television as the noise started to get louder again. Clearly, the show hadn't been enough to keep them captivated.

While this was happening I was continuously glancing at my phone checking Star Board, and checking all the discussion that was happening.

Comments about the girls, and the likes.

I filtered all of them and screenshotted the ones I thought looked the nicest. 

I didn't even notice I was practically working again, snapping screenshots of all the comments about the girls and how amazed people were by how good they looked.

I was so immersed in doing this I had long lost track of the program, and the only thing that snapped me out of it was the light laughter that came from around me.

When I raised my head I finally realized why as my attention turned on the screen where Mia and Olivia appeared. It was still the quick-fire question round, and the two of them were absolutely destroying each other.

Especially Mia who was taking revenge on Olivia.

"Is it true that you take pleasure in watching children cry?"

"Uh?"

"Answer the question!"

"What kind of question…"

Buzz—!

"Ahhh???"

Olivia looked around her in total shock. 

"This is actually a question?"

Buzz—!

The buzz sounded again and Mia pounded hard against the tables 

"Do you like to hit children, or not?! Answer the damn question, damn it!"

"You just changed the—"

"Answer me!"

The folks at the bar burst into laughter at their playful antics, drawing more and more attention to the show.

In real-time, the comments on Star Board started to flood, and it wasn't even a couple of minutes after when a threat started.

[Save Lyla from the clutches of Blue Daisy]

"What the…"

When I glanced up, I noticed all eyes were on Lyla as she openly displayed her disapproval of the five of us.

No freedom, human rights, and the like...

I had to hold myself from cursing as I browsed through the threat and read all the comments demanding that we release Lyla from our evil ways, denouncing each and every girl, and…

—That manager looks evil. Just look at his face. He probably tortures her every day.

—I refuse to believe someone with that face can be anything but mean. I'm fine with the girls, but just not him.

—That's it! We need to start freeing Lyla from him! #FreeLyla.

"…"

I was speechless. Utterly speechless. The words just didn't seem to want to come out of my mouth as I stared at the comments in front of me.

Why were they attacking me?

For what? Just the way I looked? How did that even make any sense?

"Hahahahah."

The laughter once again pulled me from my own thoughts, and when I looked up, I was horrified to see my own face reflected on the screen, right at the very bottom, showing in real-time my reaction to whatever was being displayed on the screen.

The scene in front of me left me at a complete loss for words.

When did they get my reactions? No, in the first place, how?

"I can't wrap my head around it. I know it's you, but seeing you right next to me, it's like I still can't believe that's really you."

"What?"

I looked at Elbert weirdly as he kept muttering strange things to himself.

Besides the weird threat that I made sure to report, all the other comments were relatively positive.

—Has anyone tuned in to watch the Vanity Daily show? It's so fun!

—Hahahaha. I'm rolling on the floor. This is too funny.

I felt the corner of my lips curl at all the compliments that were thrown at the show and the girls. If there was a silver lining in this situation, it was the viewer's reception of the girls. 

It was slowly changing. 

For a brief moment, I had even forgotten about all the comments and my reactions that were being displayed on the video.

For a moment, I let my guard down. I let my guard down enough to not realize what was to come next and it was only when the girl's video started playing on the TV that I abruptly stood up and tried to drag Elbert out of the pub.

"Hey! Hey! What are you doing?"

"Let's go. I'm feeling a little tipsy. I need to go back to him."

"You haven't even drank one-third of your beer!"

"That's more than enough to get me drunk."

This was what I could consider a last-ditch attempt at escaping the situation. The excuse I came up with was rather bad, and even I knew.

But still…

If it could save me from the embarrassment…

But no. 

Before I even had the time to drag him out of the pub, my phone rang. When I was about to hang decline the call, my eyes caught sight of a certain notification at the top and my heart froze. 

"Oh..." 

I dazedly looked at my phone, letting go of Elbert as I pressed the message to get a better look. 

Then, it finally happened. 

A curse finally slipped my mouth despite my best attempts. 

"Fuck." 

[Star Board Tier 1 - Trending]

[1. Liam Marken.] 

***

"Hello?" 

Dean tiredly picked up his phone, the black circles underneath his eyes more glaring than ever before. It was obvious that he hadn't slept for quite a while. 

"No, I'm sorry. At the moment we have no plans for that. I'll save your number and let you know if we can save time for you. Yes. Yes. Will do, thank you." 

He hung up the phone shortly after that and rubbed his forehead. 

"...Maybe, I shouldn't have told Liam to take the day off." 

It was only now that he realized just how much workload he and Liam had to handle each day. It was simply impossible for a single person to handle. 

Still...

Despite all the work he was handling, Dean was actually having a great time. 

"Pftt." 

Occasionally even let out a laugh in the middle of work as his shoulders trembled. 

This went on for a couple of hours until he eventually took out his phone and started to replay a certain video. 

It was the video of the interview. Specifically, the one he had sent to them before the show even began. 

But contrary to that video, he now had a reaction to come with it. 

He couldn't help but laugh every time he saw it and he replayed it whenever he felt tired from all the work. 

Now being a good example. 

Click. 

The video started. 

"Isn't it rather late? What's with with manager?"

"I don't know but from what the Vice Director said, he didn't sleep for the last day and a half."

Mia, Sarah, and Olivia were huddled together in the living room of the apartment. Joana on the other hand was holding onto the camera.

Turning her head, Mia warily glanced at the camera being pointed at them. 

"Why are you recording?"

"Well, the Vice-Director said it can make for good content for when we eventually get famous."

"Ah."

Mia nodded her head in understanding.

Then…

Click!

With a 'click,' the door of the apartment swung open, and in walked a weary figure. His eyes were puffy, and his eyelids drooped almost shut as he entered the apartment. It was Liam. 

"Oh, manager you're back."

Mia greeted him in the video with cheerful strides, but all she got in response was a half grunt from him. He kept walking, ignoring her and the girls before eventually coming to a halt before the large plane mirror next to the corridor leading to the girls' room.

The confused looks of the Dyrk and the other contestants on the show were displayed on the screen at that moment. 

The girls on the other hand all held their mouths, trying their best not to laugh but miserably failing at it. 

With a short pause, Liam looked right at the mirror and stepped to the side while muttering,

"After you."

The entire studio froze and the eyes of the presenter opened widely. 

"M-manager?"

The same was true for the girls in the video who looked at Liam worriedly. 

Completely ignoring them, Liam continued to stare at his reflection in the mirror before nodding his head and thanking the mirror. 

"Thank yo—Uakh!" 

His head smacked first against the mirror, and the studio erupted into laughter as Liam's mortified expression filled the screen.

"Hey, watch it! You should've passed me when I let you!" 

Liam shouted at the mirror while holding onto his forehead. Then, with a frown, he glared at the mirror.

"I'm not in the best of moods. I'm tired and didn't sleep for the past day so if possible I'd like it if you could just move out the way for me."

He then stood in front of the mirror for the next minute or so, waiting for the figure to move away. 

"Are you not moving?" 

He started to roll up his sleeves. 

Before things could get even worse, the girls, Sarah, Mia, Olivia, and even Joana all rushed up to him to hold him back as he tried to rush the mirror. 

"Manager no! Manager!!" 

"Hold him!" 

"Someone hold him back before he breaks the mirror!" 

Dean burst out laughing for the fifth time today. 

7