Chapter 25 – Good’n’Strong
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 25 - Good'n'Strong

 

A good-strong smell!! Good-strong smell close!!

 

It had been a week since the caravan departed at the Dragon's Gate, when Rasp finally displayed signs of restlessness. The black dragon was starting to circle around in the wagon, peer out to the sides of the tailgate, and watching Ash closely.

Ash had warned Captain Thorne as soon as he noticed. Ever since then, the man had taken to warily marching up and down the Skyfort convoy every half hour, with an uneasy frown.

It was in mid-afternoon of the following day when the dragonboy found himself pondering what was causing the change while trying to distract Rasp by hanging out more in the wagon. Right now he was lying down in the wagon bed with his feet dangling off the lowered tailgate. And his partner was resting his head on the boy's chest enjoying snout scratchies. They both had their eyes closed.

Ash doubted the captain would normally condone his current behavior, but right now, keeping Rasp staying put was of the highest priority.

So what is it? Do I need to switch out the bedding? No, I already did that at the pass. Can he smell something? He'd probably already run off if he had. Like Vickers again. Or is there bad weather coming? Does he have that ability? Maybe? Or maybe he just wanted to hang out more? Have I not been tallking enough? Is he jealous of Rews. That might be it. "Is that it Rasp? Do I just need to talk more?"

Rasp just wheezed noisily.

 

Less good-strong smell. No! NO!!!

 

An hour later, Rasp shifted away and Ash opened his eyes just in time to watch his dragon hop out of the wagon. What? Oh, no! He scrambled up and jumped out as well, "Rasp wait!"

The soldier holding the reins in the next wagon had halted their horses. For good reason. The black dragon was stretching out in the middle of the road. The dragonboy slowly approached with an outstretched hand and a calm voice, "What is it Rasp? Did you just need to stretch? Lets get back in the wagon." Please be good! Don't run again!

Rasp hiccuped, then bounced around the human to head back to their wagon, which was still trundling along. Yes, that's it Rasp, Ash cheered internally. He stuck close as Rasp hopped back into the wagon. Only to turn around with his crystal in his maw. He gently spat it out onto the tailgate in front of the boy and thumped his tail. Does- does Rasp want me to...carry his rock? Uh oh...

"Okay Rasp, give me a second." Ash reached into the wagon and dragged his rucksack out. When he did so, Rasp then nosed the crystal gently his way. Guess so. The boy stuffed Rasp's treasure into the pack, and closed it.

With a happy chuff and friendly bump of the snout, the black dragon was again back onto the road stretching. And staring back at Ash avidly. Does he want me to follow him? He slowly strapped the rucksack tight.

"What's going on her-" HISSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! "Rasp NO! STOP!"

Captain Thorne had suddenly appeared from around their wagon only to blanch and retreat back the way he came. Just in time too!

Rasp charged instantly with flared wings as Captain Thorne had suddenly appeared from around their wagon. Ash saw the man's scar's go white as he blanched and instantly retreated back the way he came. Holy shit, whew, just in time! "Rasp, please come here!"

The dragon only halted, because the man dipped around the corner of Rasp's wagon. Rasp then smugly strutted back to Ash, while the boy was already dreading his next talk with Captain Thorne. Rasp, this in not good, why why why?! He still knelt to gently pat the preening dragon.

They found themselves in the middle of the road, the Skyfort convoy now halted on both sides.

"Well, what now Rasp?"

 

Captain Thorne's scars bulged in stark contrast with his flushed face and he cursed aloud as he numbly watched Dragonboy Ash disappear into the forest chasing his black dragon. He'd already been worried since the dragonboy's report the previous day, but still...what the bloody hell just happened?! He was partially relieved at the same time. At least it isn't just flying away. Not quite the worst case scenario. But running into a monster infested woodland was definitely up there.

Why the hell wasn't anyone following them?! He roared at a distant trooper, "YOU! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! FOLLOW THE BOY NOW!" He snapped at another soldier, "Get me two of the hunters here now!" He gazed up the road, "They're with the rest of the caravan, so take one of the horses. Hurry!"

The captain directed the five wagons off to the side of the rutted path, as his messenger rode to catch up to the caravan diminishing in the distance. This needs to be resolved quickly. Before we fall too far behind.

A minute later, the pursuing trooper emerged out of the trees, head bowed and shaking his head. Shit, he lost them...

 

His platoon was forming up after the wagons were gathered to the side of the road, when two of his hired hunters trotted back down the road from the rest of the caravan.

He acknowledged them and quickly explained, "The dragon has run off with the boy into the forest, and we need you to track them down for us." Thorne then waved forward two squads. He was grim, "We'll be going with you. Men, grab all your gear and don't forget to bring extra water. We got ourselves a dragon to find."

While the men finished their preperations, the captain then addressed one of his aides, "First Lieutenant Bic, you are in charge here until I return. Be prepared to set up camp if it starts getting dark before we're back."

His aide nodded, "Yes sir. Good luck sir!"

Gods above, I hope so, Captain Thorne silently prayed.

Moments later, another eleven men disappeared into the woods. On a dragonhunt.

1