Chapter 27 – That’s So Beautiful
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 27 - That's So Beautiful

 

The dragonboy watched with bated breath as Rasp uttered an eerie rumbling shriek. As it echoed over down the river it was immediately challenged by a symphony of discordant, wild howls.

Is he really going to fight them, Ash questioned. He was gripping the hilt of his dagger so tight his fingers had gone numb, but he hardly noticed as he fell into a weird calm. If he needs my help, I'll go in too, he resolved. Rasp was his bonded and lifelong partner. And a dragonboy was nothing without his dragon.

With fewer monsters pressing in on the saberwolves, a particularly large wolf abandoned the outer ring to jump atop the turtle's jagged shell. It matched glares with the dragon, then proceeded to howl defiantly at the flying threat, causing the air to tremble. But Rasp was unfazed.

Ash's worriedly grimaced at the beast's feat, that was some sort of magic wind attack right? Is that one the leader then? No matter what it was, Rasp's immune to magic. But still, that thing just cleared twenty feet no problem! If Rasp's not careful-

Ash saw Rasp drop lower, to then open his maw, revealing white fangs in the dying light as if ready to dispute the saberwolf's defiance and the boy hopped up in shock. What are you doing Rasp!? You can't fight them like tha- NO WAY, Ash's jaw dropped as he jumped up in shock!

Is he- YES! That's dragonsbreath! Rasp's using dragonsbreath! He squinted hard, is that poison? Or just a smokescreen? He couldn't quite figure out the color. Black...purple...gray? Damnit, I can't tell from here. Please...its gotta be poison right? It needs to be poison!

Rasp had not roared. The black dragon had instead unleashed a wide cloud of dark fumes. One thick enough that the defending monsters view of the dragon was blocked even as Rasp kept spewing his dragonsbreath.

The defiant saberwolf howled up against the attack, and then the entire pack joined in. Causing the cloud to appear to shudder violently. But their combined efforts did nothing to slow the descending, dark cloud.

Seeing the magical chorus fail to disperse the dragon's fumes, Ash realized the wolves weren't using wind magic. If its not wind...is it a sonic ability? Hah, they can't blow Rasp's breath away!

The wolf atop the turtle that Ash was assuming to be the leader, seemed to come to the same conclusion. Swivelling swiftly, the beast was ready to jump down before risking getting touched by the dragon's attack.

Damn, its going to get away, Ash judged. Rasp's breath weapon simply wasn't landing quick enough. Only for Rasp to suddenly exceed the human's expectations.

Rasp had flown back over the turtle's shell while Ash was watching the wolfpack. And with a mighty downward flap of his wings, Rasp had speedily driven the cloud lower. So fast that the saberwolf disappeared from the boy's sight as it was completely enveloped by Rasp's thick fumes.

There was a mournful gurgling moan, then Ash's watched as the magical beast abruptly popped out the bottom of the cloud, tumbling stiffly down the side of the shell.

The large saberwolf, full of life mere moments before, was now dead as could be, its limbs stiff and splayed out. Silenced forever.

Ash stared in wonder, that was fast as hell! Then it hit him! YES! YES! YES! Poison breath, thats one of the good ones! Hah, you shitty beasts thought you could take him just because he's small, but he's still a dragon! Rasp has poi-

But while the dragonboy was rejoicing internally over his partner's newly revealed weapon, the cloud was still descending. And after taking one look at the dead wolf, and the deadly attack still dropping closer, the remaining beasts all made the same decision. They scattered.

Ash was startled out of his celebration, and crouched back down, partially hidden by the large rock. Oh shit...do I need to run?

He shifted his feet and prepared himself to jump into the river if need be, but luckily neither creature nor poison came his way.

So he just kept watching Rasp and marvelled as his partner glided in to end up perched majestically atop the mountainous turtle's shell. And the gasous cloud settling into the water and onto the ground, the mournful howls of the pack, and river monsters floating belly up were dragged away by the current, were all signs of the dragon's conquest.

And in the fading light, Rasp roared to the skies with wings outstretched, a terrible and bellowing proclamation of victory. It was the first time Ash had heard his partner utter such triumphant ferocity.

Ash's heart swelled with pride for his indomitable partner. He couldn't contain his admiration as he whispered, "That's so beautiful, Rasp."

1