Chapter 30 – Nevermind the Turtle Meat
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 30 - Nevermind the Turtle Meat

 

While Rasp lay dormant, the hunters eagerly approached the colossal Emperor Slabshell, their eyes gleaming with anticipation. It was finally their chance to harvest the creature. However, their excitement quickly gave way to bewilderment as they realized the enormity of their task. The Slabshell's shell was nigh impenetrable.

The hunters, paced in front of the beast, brainstorming ways to breach the seemingly impervious shell. Blades and rough hammers were put to the test, but the turtle's natural armor resisted all attempts to pierce or shatter it. Frustration hung heavy in the air as the hard truth hit them. They were restricted in their endeavors to get the good materials.

In the end, they only walked away with turtle sinew and a selection of slender yet incredibly sturdy bones from the front flippers. It was all they could access from the riverbank. The two hunters were now working on crafting weapons out of the materials in their free time. They were absolutely certain the resulting pieces would be incredible.

Inspired by the hunters, Ash decided to try his own hand at crafting with some bone fragments. With his dagger, he carved a small keepsake for Rasp's victory. A small dragon. Maybe later, he'd get some black dye and finish it proper.

Even Captain Thorne, had eventually given in to his troop's requests, allowing the soldiers to pick through the bone for their own little projects.

 

Ash was flipping over a small skewered fish on a stick over his crackling fire for breakfast, when a sudden shifting sound drew his attention. Rasp was stirring! "Rasp, you're finally up," he cheerily whooped. Raspppp?

The dragonboy's yell was a welcome one for the rest of the camp. It triggered a wave of cheers from the encampment, marking the end of Rasp's prolonged rest. It was their sixth morning beside the turtle, and the fourth since Rasp began absorbing the Slabshell's core.

Ash knelt to inspect Rasp closely as the dragon rapidly blinked his eyes and yawned, before uncoiling into an elongated stretch. But there were no discernible changes. Damn, he's didn't grow taller... Is he a little longer? Did that really come from the core though? Or just natural growth? He's a little shinier I guess. I don't really see anything different, though... Maybe it was some sort of affinity boost? But he really wanted it. So he must have got something right? Ash didn't know quite how to feel. He was happy there was no obvious downside, like a shell or flippers, but he'd really been hoping for a height increase. There's no way he got nothing out of it...right?

Captain Thorne was watching the dragon attentively. As were all the others. The dragon's next few actions would dictate their own. Camping here hadn't been as bad as the captain initially feared, the dragon's imposing presence having clearly deterred the local monsters. But each day not moving towards Ollu was another day potentially tacked onto the mission.

Everyone held their breath as the dragon finished drinking at the river and Dragonboy Ash offered his partner some seared fish on a stick. This was the moment. Everyone was thinking it. Would it ignore the turtle for some other food? The tension rose as the dragon sniffed gingerly at the offering. And as it began to eat, a triumphant cheer erupted from the camp, surpassing the previous celebration.

Captain Thorne wasted no time, barking orders, "Alright men, break camp. Look lively now. Don't bring anything with you unless you're willing to hoof it yourselves until we reunite with the Dessur caravan. And we're bringing the turtle meat." The directive was met with a flurry of activity as everyone started packing their things, and breaking down the tents.

Off to the side, Ash was packing his own things while Rasp had moved on from seared fish to sun dried meat. All the sun dried meat.

The captain then looked over and sighed, "Nevermind the turtle meat. But we're leaving when the dragon is ready."

Eventually, Ash had Rasp ready to go. The dragon was bouncing, full of energy, but willing to stick to the boy.

 

The captain organized the troops into a formation to traverse their way back to the road.

As they marched down the river the two seasoned hunters led the way, their vigilant eyes scanning the surroundings for any signs of danger. Captain Thorne followed closely behind, flanked by two soldiers, their spears at the ready.

Following behind them was the boy. The serpentine dragon was currently airborn, but the boy assured him that he'd be able to get his partner to land when they needed to enter the forest.

And lastly, the remaining six soldiers were bringing up the rear.

There was a brief break when it was time for Rasp to land, but shortly after filling their canteens one last time, they all strode into the Green Sea.

The final leg of their journey took them three miles south, leading them back to the road.

Ash marveled at the completely difference of this trek compared to his previous hurried experience. He'd been panicked about losing Rasp while keeping his head on a swivel to watch for monsters. All the while the light had been fading. But now? He got to peacefully look around at the forest, with Rasp occasionally stopping to sniff the air.

By midday, they knew they were close to the road. The air, once thick with the perfume of blooming flowers, now carried the scent of the road, dust, and the distant promise of their destination.

1