Chapter 33 – A Rainy Respite
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 33 - A Rainy Respite

 

The forest was alive with the sound of the rain, the thunder, pounding water, creaking trees and rustling leaves. The summer rain was coming down in such thick sheets that it was impossible to see more than a few feet ahead. The type of deluge where both man and beast, all sought shelter.

And on dark days like these, the caravan just stayed at camp. It was just too cold, wet, and muddy.

 

Ash was relaxing with Rasp in the hay, idly chewing on tough jerky, and listening to the fat raindrops slamming into the wagon cover overhead. He didn't mind days like this. In fact, he quite enjoyed them. Counting the seconds between bright lightning and rolling thunder made for a good passtime. And his partner had little love for the rain, so the boy didn't have to worry so much about the dragon causing issues for the captain. A dragon who was currently snoring with his head flipped upside down, front arms wrapped around the boys leg.

But Ash did feel a little guilty over how good he had it compared to the rest of the convoy. This was his and Rasp's wagon afterall. The entire platoon had to cram into the four remaining wagons.

The only thing he had to worry about was running over to grab food for Rasp later. The rain was heavy, and with an unfortunate gust of wind, even with the waterproof cloak he'd been loaned, Ash knew he'd get soaked to the bone. It had already happened a few times since the storms started. But with Rasp here, he pretty much had access to a living furnace. Which reminded him. Rasp deserved more scratchies!

 

Captain Thorne sat in his wagon, sharing it with ten of his troopers, chafing at the newest delay. He had to admit, the caravan had been lucky to avoid heavy rain as long as it had, covering over half the journey before encountering the most common of weather delays. They'd gotten three weeks out from Greedy Yard before the first storm. But since then...every other day for the past month?! It's maddening, goddamnit.

This trip was causing the captain to start hating the rain. And the mud. Which wasn't even the worst part. The worst part was all the fallen trees that needed to be cleared after the storms abated. The caravan had made maybe nine, maybe ten actual days of progress instead of thirty. Maybe. As if the very elements are conspiring against me.

The captain just wanted to finish the assignment already. Every day added to the trip is another day the dragon might decide to go on another unwelcome and costly adventure. Captain Thorne's brow furrowed unhappily at the mere thought.

So he decided to pray, rain, rain go away. Rain, rain, go away...

 

A few days later the captain's prayers were answered, as the streaking onslaught of storms was broken by two days of back to back sun. But that didn't mean the trip was going to get any easier.

 

Nichol Dessur was at the head of the caravan overseeing the men and horses dealing with the tree laying across the road, the third of the day. It was fortunate for the caravan that Captain Thorne had been so quick to offer help, with steady rotations of troops to clear the obstructions.

The caravan master had thanked his lucky stars more than once at the last minute addition of the military convoy. He didn't even want to think about how long the wagon train would have been held up without them. Thrice as long for sure. But likely longer. Of that he didn't doubt.

He'd never found out exactly why the captain was escorting a dragon to the capital, but from their talks, he had judged the captain was duly stressed out with the responsibility. Hell, Nichol would be willing to bet on it.

He was one hundred percent certain though, that the little black dragon had been a blessing to entire journey. Nichol had led many caravans for well on two decades, and there had always been monster attacks. Always. Yet this time, zero attacks. It had to be dragon-scent.

Oh, he'd had his doubts about the dragon early on, after the incident involving his youngest son. And then his worries hadn't been small about the influence the dragonboy might have upon Rews. But they had been unfounded in the end, the boy patient and mature beyond his years. Nichol had even questioned his sons about their talks with Ash, and found no fault with the boy's answers. And Rews seemed to have grown up a little after hanging out with him. A little.

Still think I need to hire a adventurer to tutor him...and maybe I should see if Rews can get Ash to get that dragon of his to roll in some blankets for me...test that dragon-scent out...

 

Two weeks later, as the caravan exited the Green Sea, their destination finally came into sight.

Ollu City, Talon's capital, mightily perched next to the great lake from which it got its name.

1