Chapter 37 – The Mage Academy
96 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37 - The Mage Academy

 

Perched atop a gentle adjacent hill, the magic school stuck out from the rest of the city. First of all was the empty, yet pristine grounds, that contrasted with the rest of the bustling city. It gave the institution a air of tranquility versus what Ash had experienced on the walk over, through narrow cobblestone streets, crowded with busy stalls. A quietness maintained by a tall fence of iron pickets on the outer boundary, allowing people to look in, but ultimately keeping the city at bay.

Beyond the clean cut grass and well-trimmed trees cut into magical creatures however, were the spired towers, reaching skyward around a central square plaza.

They look soft. Ash rubbed his eyes at that random thought, and looked again. Why did I just think that? How the hell does a building look soft anyways? It's gotta be magic...right? If I get the chance, I'm touching it, he decided.

Eventually they arrived beside the fence, twice as tall as a grown man. Tocc nodded towards it, “You can still see the mage school through here. Don't get to close to the fence though, its supposed to be warded.”

Ash stared throught the twisty, ornate pickets, trying to figure out where he needed to go. Its going to be the biggest building right? Or is it the busiest one to the left?

The people bustling about between the structures resembled tiny ants from this distance and seemed just as busy. Extending from the plaza was a raised path of stone blocks, leading off to the side. It must lead to the school gate, he guessed.

Clapping Ash on the shoulder Tocc snapped him out of his observations. "The entrance is still a ways away. Lets go."

Walking another five minutes, they reached a wide iron gate, and Tocc pointed to a gatehouse of red brick. "That's where you get in. I'll wait for you here."

Wait, what, he's leaving me? Ash looked his guide with rising panic, "Huh, you aren't going in with me?"

Tocc just waved him off, “Nah, nah, I've heard the guards here are really strict on who enters, and unlike you I don't got a reason to be in there. Being your guide won't be enough. I'd just be wasting both our times just trying to get in. You won't need me in there anyway. Besides, there's a good sausage joint nearby so I'm good. So like I said, I'll just wait for you out here.”

Ash squared up his shoulders, well, that makes sense. The buildings are right over there.

Marching up to a small brick building, Ash presented his letter to a guard. “Dragonboy Ash here to personally deliver a letter. Its for the headmaster from General Lukes, commander of the Skyfort.”

Quickly scanning the warded letter, the dragonboy was quickly ushered through the gatehouse. A guard on the other side helpfully pointed to the largest building. “That's the main building there. That's where you'll find the Archmage.”

It really was the largest one.

The dragonboy thanked him and headed along the walkway. Ash noticed it was made of smoothly hewn granite. Fancy.

As he made his way to the central plaza, all the people he passed threw him a few startled looks. I stand out like a sore thumb here, he nervously realized. I'm not wearing robes like everyone else. But no one troubled him, they were all too busy going about their own business.

 

In no time at all, he had reached the building pointed out to him and marched in. Entering a large lobby that smelled of vanilla, Ash found himself facing a bespectacled old man sitting behind a marbled counter. The ivory-haired elder quizzically stared back at the boy without saying a word.

Letting out a nervous cough, Ash walked up and presented his recommendation. “A letter for the headmaster. From General Lukes, commander of the Skyfort.”

The old receptionist behind the counter pushed his glasses to rest further up his nose as he peered down curiously at the boy. “Oh. And what is your name young man?"

"Dragonboy Ash, on orders all the way from the Skyfort."

The receptionist muttered to himself musingly, "Really, a dragonboy? All the way from the Skyfort to deliver a letter?"

The old man blinked and gestured towards some empty seats to the side, “You may take a seat over there Dragonboy Ash. Or you can give the letter to me. The headmaster is currently entertaining guests, but I'll see to it that the Archmage gets it. It could be a while though.”

Ash gnawed on his lip, “A little waiting won't hurt me.” Unless this takes so long that Rasp wakes up looking for me... "I'm supposed to deliver it personally."

The receptionist nodded and Ash occupied a seat in a quiet corner.

With nothing else to do, Ash spent his time observing colorfully robed people as they passed through the lobby, everyone looking like they knew where they were going.

Not too long after he started waiting, a group of adults murmuring amongst themselves came down the stairs. While they walked out, Ash looked to the white-haired receptionist hoping that they had been the headmaster’s aforementioned guests. But when the elderly man didn’t move, he sighed and settled down for a longer wait.

A while later Ash roused himself as the receptionist came out from behind the counter and stumped upstairs. When the bespectacled man returned after a few minutes, he called out to the boy, “Dragonboy Ash, the headmaster will see you now. Hurry on up the top floor.”

Ash thanked the man and sped up a series of stairs, two at a time. In short order, he found himself outside the lone door at the top. Taking a deep breath, he raised a hand to knock on the door.

Only to jump back as the door whisked open immediately. A soft husky voice drifted out, “You may come in.”

Ash warily stepped forward a few paces, only to freeze as the door clicked shut behind him. Taking a quick peek behind him, the boy saw no one there. Shivering, he faced forward to find a petite, handsome-looking woman with strawberry-blonde hair standing in front of an imposing darkwood desk. Beckoning him forward, she radiated a strong presence that caused Ash to instinctively salute.

The dragonboy winced and lowered his arm awkwardly. “Err, I’m here to deliver a letter to you from General Lukes of the Skyfort.” He then proffered it to her.

Calmly taking the letter, the Archmage gestured for the boy to sit down before breaking the magic and wax seals. It didn’t take long before the headmaster had finished reading.

Setting the letter down, the woman’s eyes had brightened. “Ah, I remember this. A dragon with latent magic potential. Exciting. So exciting. Where is it? Did you leave it waiting outside?”

She leaned over so she could look beyond Ash and waved her hand. The door opened and the archmage peered down the hallway expectantly. When a dragon didn’t magically show itself, the headmistress looked back at Ash for an answer.

“Uh, my partner is sleeping back at the dragonhouse. We just arrived today and he is enjoying his new room. And I can't take him through the city.”

Disappointed, the mage said, “Oh well, that issue can wait, we still have a few small matters to discuss. For starters, you’ll need a badge. For identification. A first year robe as well. And your books.”

Huh! Ash was surprised, why do I need books?

The headmaster noticed Ash’s puzzlement and explained, “Even if you are only here as the dragon’s handler, it would be distracting for the other students if you sat around like a lump. And I know they teach you to read over there. By the way, is the dragon friendly? As in it won’t attack the students? Or can you stop it?”

This was something Ash was slightly worried about, but Rasp had been nearly perfect during the journey here, except for the one incident with Rews. And that was entirely Rews fault, he reminded himself.

Ash assured the headmaster, “He’s nice if people keep their distance.”

"How much space does it need?"

"If I'm close, ten feet, but he'll still be very loud about it. Any closer and the person won't like it."

The female mage nodded, that was acceptable. “Good to know. I’ll have the teachers figure out separate seating for you then. Now that’s it for the little stuff.”

She stood and looked at the dragonboy pointedly, “I’m ready to see this magic dragon. Let’s be on our way then, shall we.”

Ash suppressed a sigh of relief, finally!

Taking care of a family member without internet for the next 2 weeks or so. The next chapter likely won't be until Dec 5th or 6th! Enjoy your holidays and be careful!

1