CHAPTER 5. Lucky Charm
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was nothing to go off of.

Tian Hua tried immersing his finger in the water, too, yet that only attracted the greedy koi fish to nib at it. Seeing that his finger was perfectly intact, thank God, he decided to investigate this further after giving it some thought.

He shielded his eyes from the sun and gazed at the sky. So much time had already passed since he first stepped out this morning, yet nothing productive had been done.

Yang Dandelions. No cauldron. No other ingredients. No Qi. Tian Hua repeated the words like a mantra, willing his mind to come up with solutions in order to overcome this impasse. What could be profitable? Selling the dandelions? The seeds? Was there anything else he could actually do which didn’t require Qi?

His eyes drifted to the sun, then to the Yang Dandelions and back. Then, to his dwelling.

Talismans.

Tian Hua used to create luck talismans with Yang Dandelions before his exams. Although these talismans weren’t particularly potent in their ability to bring luck, they still provided him with valuable assistance, saving him from failing his classes on a few occasions. Crafting them was a simple task, something anyone with the right ingredients and a pair of hands could do. However, there were specific conditions that needed to be met for the talismans to work effectively.

The talismans had to be written under the daylight, on parchment paper, and the individual crafting them needed to keep their thoughts positive.

Tian Hua carried the remaining pots to the entrance of his dwelling, plucked the dandelion petals, and brought them inside. After some searching, he located a slightly chipped marble bowl into which he emptied the petals. Using the thick end of a brush, he diligently pressed on the petals until they transformed into a substance resembling a paste, though not quite.

Good enough, he nodded to himself and massaged his shoulder with a grimace.

Xiang Jun eventually came to bring his meal, the porcelain cups and plates clinking against one another on the wooden platter. Tian Hua was starving; however, as Xiang Jun was placing the tray on the table and offered to serve him cold tea, Tian Hua suddenly wanted to sob.

Rice, rice, with a side of rice and rice as dessert.

“Do we only have rice?” What about the meat? And what do you mean by ‘cold tea’? Wasn’t it better to just give him plain water?

Xiang Jun scratched his neck. “We have no meat left, and I thought you hated vegetables, Teacher.”

Tian Hua hummed. That had to be due to the sad meal he had received that morning.

At the very least, he’d go to bed tonight with a satisfied belly.

 

. . . . .

 

Under the warm sunlight, Tian Hua sat in the grass, arranging pieces of parchment paper along with black ink and the paste he'd made from the Yang Dandelions. He dipped his brush into the paste and meticulously wrote an intricate character, repeating the process for each sheet of parchment. When he completed this task, Tian Hua wiped the sweat from his forehead with his sleeve before using the black ink to rewrite the character on every piece of paper.

“Done,” sighed Tian Hua and was immediately blown away by how great the talismans turned out. “Haven’t lost my touch.”

With this many, I can afford some food and a cauldron, I hope. But, I wonder if going now would be a good time to sell them.

Tian Hua glanced around and glimpsed Yang Junchen meditating by the pond. He had to be exhausted by this point; the pallor of his face frightened Tian Hua. Not even he looked that bad during the exams period, when he was obligated to supervise the students until noon, then stay up in the AMs to grade the pills and potions they’d crafted.

Tian Hua rose to his feet and was about to walk in his direction, when he stopped himself. That would be awkward for both of us, he cringed. It’s not like we’re even that close to begin with. And If I were to offer my help… I still don’t know whether it’s best to regard him as an ally or enemy. He hasn’t shown any hostility aimed at me, but I don’t wanna risk it yet. I’ll watch from the distance for a while until I’m sure he doesn’t have any ill intentions.

He exhaled and walked in the opposite direction.

Luck just wasn’t in his favor, even though he’d crafted dozens of talismans meant to bring good fortune. Sitting on a boulder near the stone stairs that descended the mountain, Long Xinyue gazed off into the distance, hugging a broom to her chest. Whatever thoughts clouded her mind, they were abruptly interrupted the moment she heard Tian Hua approaching.

She glared at his figure, and her expression twisted as she watched her master step down the stairs.

“Leaving so soon?” she taunted. “I was wondering when you’d drop the act and run off again. So much for having amnesia.”

Brat. Tian Hua continued his journey down the mountain.

Unexpectedly, another set of footsteps echoed some distance behind, making it painfully clear that he was being followed. Whoever it was didn’t seem to care about hiding their presence at all. Tian Hua didn’t even need to glance over his shoulder to confirm that Long Xinyue was the one tailing him. While he should have been alarmed that the ‘scariest’ disciple of his was on his trail, witnessing Yang Junchen’s extraordinary display of power had left him feeling relatively secure in her presence now; if—and that’s a big, absolutely-impossible-to-happen if—Long Xinyue attacked him, at least Tian Hua knew that she didn’t possess any remarkable abilities.

Still, that didn’t stop him from stuffing one talisman inside his inner clothing.

This suffocating silence followed him the entirety of his way to Qingfeng. Despite the setting sun, the village remained bustling with activity. Most of the stores were still open and the market stalls were brimming with goods.

Tian Hua casually scanned his surroundings, only to abruptly spin around and catch a glimpse of Long Xinyue ducking behind a building at the last moment. He raised an eyebrow, confused at what she was doing.

Nevertheless, Tian Hua pressed forward until he reached a stall displaying a variety of talismans. A group of villagers browsed through them while the stall owner, sporting a smile that seemed a tad too exaggerated, enthusiastically explained, “These talismans were meticulously crafted by a renowned cultivator and boast exceptional power!”

“Is that so?” A woman gazed at a specific talisman with a twinkle in her eye. “Does this one bring happiness in marriage?”

“Err…” The man stroked his chin and looked at that particular talisman. “Of course! I used it myself and, lemme tell ya, me and my wife have never been happier before!” He wiggled his eyebrows.

Tian Hua shifted his gaze to the talisman in question. The red piece of paper displayed a handful of haphazard brush strokes that appeared to hold no significance. He furrowed his brow as he examined the other talismans, swiftly reaching the conclusion that this vendor was a charlatan. None of these talismans seemed effective, and the asking price struck him as exorbitant—50 copper coins? It was simply beyond belief.

“Have a look at my latest batch of talismans! These are meant for—”

“Did you say these were crafted by a renowned cultivator?” chimed in Tian Hua.

The stall owner nodded. “Yes, of course! A renowned and powerful cultivator. Now, as I was saying—”

“Could you tell me more about this cultivator you’re speaking so highly of?”

The stall owner’s eyebrows twitched. With an even wider grin, he responded, “Certainly, sir! Allow me to share with you the illustrious name of the master behind these incredible talismans, a name that is surely familiar to many of you. These talismans were expertly crafted by none other than Wu Ziyi!”

“Wu Ziyi?!” An older man gasped.

“Wow, Wu Ziyi?”

“I have never thought Wu Ziyi would be the one to have made them….”

Wu Ziyi? Tian Hua’s frown deepened. That sure does sound familiar, but I can’t remember who he is.

The mere mention of Wu Ziyi’s name drew the attention of several other villagers in the vicinity, all eagerly examining the talismans showcased on the stall. Tian Hua held strong doubts that Wu Ziyi had any involvement in crafting these talismans, considering they were useless—unless one was in need of a handkerchief, then they would serve a purpose.

Or, maybe, Wu Ziyi is a scammer, too, but they don’t know it yet?

“Mama, mama, I want this one!” A child grabbed a talisman and fluttered it in the air.

The stall owner immediately snatched it, maintaining his polite smile. “I’m sorry, but that one’s the most expensive!”

“What does it do?” Tian Hua couldn’t resist speaking up.

“This one can make anyone rich overnight!” exclaimed the stall owner. “Just stick it on yourself before going to sleep and, the next morning, huzzah! You’ll be surprised by the results!”

“Why didn’t you do that yourself if it can make anyone ‘rich overnight’?”

The stall owner paused, casting an appraising glance over the man who had spoken. Dressed in white robes with sewn willow branches, he exuded an air of scholarly refinement. His complexion was pale, as if he had dedicated the majority of his days to studying within the confines of his chamber. His long hair only emphasized this impression.

The stall owner really wanted to milk as many coins from this man as possible, but having the efficacy of his talismans questioned stung his pride. His lips stretched into a mocking smile, “I’m already quite wealthy, you see. However, perhaps it might work wonders for you, sir. You don’t appear to be too well-off yourself.”

“Then how is it that you’re selling Wu Ziyi’s talismans in Qingfeng instead of larger towns?” Tian Hua put the stress on this mysterious cultivator’s name. “It can’t be due to competition alone. You have some pretty spectacular talismans you’re willing to sell for close to nothing. How did you even come in their possession? Did Wu Ziyi craft them for you? So you can sell them for some measly couple of copper coins?”

The villagers glanced between Tian Hua and the stall owner.

Seeing that the villagers were returning the talismans they had been examining to the stall, the owner frantically tried to regain their trust. “You see, Wu Ziyi and I... We have a long history together! I was once his disciple, before deciding to—”

“Aren’t ya that guy from the little sect up on Yangming Peak?” An elderly man patted Tian Hua’s shoulder.

Tian Hua beamed. “Yes, I am!”

A woman nodded. “Oh, Yangming Peak? What was the sect called?”

“Jinxuan,” he replied. “I specialize in writing talismans and practicing alchemy, but we’re currently low on funds because of renovations within our sect. My intention was to sell some of the talismans I have with me, but I got distracted by this stall, unfortunately….”

“Do you have any talismans currently with you?” Another woman took the bait and Tian Hua had to stifle a grin.

“Yes! Luck talismans made with Yang Dandelions,” he took them out. “They bring luck to any aspect of your life; but, it’s important to keep them close to you at all times.”

The stall owner’s cheeks reddened with anger. He roared, “You fraud! How dare you spout lies when these talismans of mine are the real deal?! Each and every one of them was meticulously crafted by the one and only Wu Ziyi!”

Ugh, I’m getting a headache from dealing with this idiot, Tian Hua hardly spared him a glance. Yet, as he felt the stares of the villagers, he knew he had to shut this fool up once and for all.

Tian Hua picked a talisman at random. “This one. Did you say it’s for protection?”

“Yes—!”

With a swift motion, he smacked the talisman onto the stall owner’s round face and followed it up with a solid punch to the cheek. The blow sent the owner stumbling backward, his futile attempt to grasp the stall resulting in nothing more than a handful of fake talismans. As he fell to the ground, the talismans slowly floated down to his body.

“Protection?” Tian Hua rubbed his knuckles. “It’s clearly not working.”

“Argh!” The stall owner hastily scrambled to his feet and attempted to deliver a punch to Tian Hua. However, in his haste to get closer to him, he somehow managed to trip over his own feet and tumbled back to the ground once more.

Tian Hua seized this opportunity to shamelessly advertise his goods. “See? If it weren’t for my talismans, he would have landed that punch. Only 25 copper!”

0