Chapter 1 – The Summoning
79 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The blinding light cleared from my vision, just moments ago I had been at the library checking out a book. I was standing in some sort of circle in a dark basement. Strange writing in circular patterns was all around me.

“Welcome Otherworlder,” said a voice from the shadows. two figures appeared. One is a girl in white carrying an ornamental staff with a glowing blue orb. The other was a handsome-looking man with gold-laced armour and blonde hair.

“Your help is needed to save this world.”

Otherworlder? Save the world? What was she talking about?

“I do not understand,” I said

“Hmmm,” she said turning to the person at her side. “The preset memory link should have been activated by now.

Dear Otherworlder you will receive memories about this world as well as your magical abilities.

“Well I’m not getting - “

Advanced Magic Unlocked

It was at that moment images began flooding my memory. The world. I was in Liberia, the holy empire. The people in front of me were a priestess and a hero, although I don’t know their names. I had all magical affinities. What was magic? Magic was the possession bestowed by Prometheus the saviour of mankind 10 000 years ago. The answer poured into my mind. More information than I thought possible flooded into my mind. It felt like my head was going to split in half. It slowed a while although it left me with a throbbing headache. Even after gaining all that knowledge I wasn’t exactly sure what that voice was but it didn’t matter. 

“I see,” I said, the stream of knowledge now done flowing into me. 

The hero stepped forward confidently, his hand outstretched.

 

I accepted it and he shook it firmly.

“Welcome Otherworlder, we are delighted to have you.” I was awestruck by him. He moved with such refined grace. From my memories, I knew that the hero was often royalty. To be honest I felt intimidated. He smiled warmly at me.

“There is no need to look so nervous, you will also have the title hero before long.”

“Yeah,” I said smiling sheepishly.

“We begin your training now, “ said the hero abruptly.

“Right now!”

“Of course,” said the hero. “Justice never stalls besides you have received all the combat knowledge you should need. The memory stream was implemented due to the long-brewing period of having to learn the various magical and combat systems. Normally language would be an issue but Safina and I have taken the liberty to learn your language, unfortunately, that means you will be relying on us to translate with the rest of this world’s inhabitants.”

They lead me to a courtyard of sorts. We were in one of the castles, to the north of the capital.

The Hero drove a wooden stake with a plank on top into the ground

“Fire here.” He said

I raised my arm, all it would take is a mental command. I visualized fire shooting out of my hand. Fire shot out and hit the target. It felt natural and soothing even.

“Good job!” he said. Safina clapped politely as well.

“Before we move on, brace for me it’s the most important indicator of magical stability.” He winked at me. “But you already know that don’t you.”

I nodded. Bracing is a technique where one focuses their magical aura around their body. The magical trails that float through the air are used to determine the magical level of people.

I braced, drawing mana from deep within. It flowed out in heaps. It felt like this was a limb that I had regained control over. It was as natural as breathing. I quelled the power and opened my eyes.

“Impressive, it seems that you’re more than ready,” said the hero.

Booming bells rang out.

“Why is the battle alarm going off?” I asked

“Because we’re going to war,” said the hero matter-of-factly.

 

“Let’s go.”

He began hovering. “You know how to do this right?”

“Is Safina not coming,” I asked. 

“Oh, I’m not a battle specialist,” she said. “Also I have some spells to attend to,” she said quite nervously. 

I hovered as well, joining the hero. He shot away and to my surprise, I was easily able to keep up with him as we flew over several mountains and fields. 

We were there before I knew it. The castle was at the top of a hill in the center of the kingdom. Bustling streets filled with people - not just humans, beastfolk as well. I saw cat ears, rabbity ears. People who looked more animal than human. Inns, houses, wells, and markets flowed through my senses. 

“Ready,” said the hero. 

“What?” 

The hero raised his hand and unleashed hellfire down upon a section of the city. The people who weren’t dead screamed and ran panicked. 

“Ready,” I said. I fired down shots. I felt a stabbing pain in my head. There was that damn headache again! I summoned boulders and rained them down. I felt something hit my back. It was followed by several more shots. I turned around and fired crackling blue sparks at the turrets. When the sparks landed they exploded turning it to ash. 

“Isn’t this enough, they don’t seem to be fighting back,” I said to the hero.

“Look,” I said pointing to a surrender flag being waved and people bowing on the ground.”They want to surrender.” 

The hero blasted them away with a flick of his wrist. 

“It’s a trick to get us to lower our guard. They’ll use the opportunity to attack us. They use underhanded techniques, it’s shameful really. I don’t blame you for not knowing that you are new to war after all.”

The hero rained another maelstrom down. 

When I looked at his face I could have sworn I heard maniacal laughing. 

I looked down at the carnage. Tear-streaked faces looked up at us their hands clasped together. They were begging for us to save them. 

Wait a minute, are we the bad guys? 

An earsplitting headache lashed across my brain.

 

“What did you do to me!” I shouted at the Hero. “You messed with my brain, you guys are evil! These people are innocent” 

“There seems to be some sort of malfunction.” said the hero his hand to his chin. 

“But listen here Otherworlder, we are the most righteous people in the world!” 

He had a dangerous gleam in his eyes as he spoke. 

“For anyone who refuses to join the holy empire is sinful and must be destroyed!” He raised his arms, laughing. 

I clutched my head. I need to get out of here, I can’t believe I was tricked! I began drifting away. 

“Oh, no you don’t,” said the hero gripping me by the collar. He stared fiercely into my eyes.”You will be spending the rest of your days serving the empire!”

First Impressions
  • Nice! Votes: 2 50.0%
  • meh Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Too soon to tell Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Love it! Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 4
1