Chapter 2: Anis
101 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
[Hey, if you are reading this then, what you are reading is a pirated copy of my novel. Please support me by visiting my actual sight here [Click me!] ]

The world is dark again. Though I feel something nostalgic trying to resurface...

[Sfx]: "Clatter!... Static!... Snap!"

Will a flash, the calm void changes with the appearance of violent lights. The nostalgic feeling gets replaced with utter fear and repulse as the light swirls more violently. And then, a snapping sound rang out as sweat began to form on my face. I huddled over, clenching my gut as I screamed.

[Klein]: 'No... No! Runaway!'

I said. Unable to comprehend why it is that made me say such things. And then, from the chaotic spire of violent lights came forth a vision. Though not one of the future events but one from the dread of one's past.

[Navi]: "Welcome worthy souls of another world. I am called 'the Navigator'. I am the Interface that manages the powers of the God of Origin, Milord Protogenus. Currently, I am tasked by Milord Umanest to summon ten worthy individuals to act as champions and scholars, to raise this world's technological level to the next stage."

The vision cleared and it shows a memory of the androgynous person from before but this time it was clear. That person who called himself the navigator stood before the silhouettes of the summoned individuals. Just looking at that person's face made me sick to my core. I stood from my huddled state and charged at that person's face with all my might.

[Anis]: 'It's no use. It is just a memory.'

I heard Anis' voice as my fist phased through the image as if mocking me. Despite my chaotic feelings, I held myself back and calmly focused myself on Anis's voice as I asked.

[Klein]: 'Anis? What happened-'

Before I could ask, the memory shifted and it now showcased the navigator amongst ten individuals who looked as they were struggling to talk. But as I focused more closely I then realize their lips had been meticulously sewn shut.

[Navi]: "I have used my authority to silence you all for now. You will all gain a proper orientation once the transitioning phase and the summoning constraints such as memory removal are complete."

The navigator said with an eerie smile. What made the smile was that it wasn't a smile you would expect from a deranged kidnapper, rather it was the kind of smile a kid would have when they'd do something wrong but had no idea it was wrong. But something dreadful began rising from my gut. I fell to my knees as I felt a slimy feeling crawling up my spine. Once it reached my head, I gripped my head hard trying to suppress something from going in.

[Klein]: 'No... No, this isn't right...'

It was then... It was then my memories of this event had returned.

[Anis]: 'Have you regained your memories?'

Anis said with her voices echoing from behind me. I didn't turn, instead, I wished to deny this entire ordeal.

[Klein]: 'No... I don't know... I feel like being sick to my stomach looking at that Asshole...'

In denial, I pretended not to remember but strange feeling welled up inside when I heard Anis' voice. It was like the time we first chatted. It was calm and soothing and then I found myself telling her partial truths and even my feelings.

[Anis]: 'That's an odd reaction. But it's one that somehow makes me happy to hear.'

Anis said, sounding a little more delighted.

[Navi]: "Due to the fact you are all creations of the otherworldly God who is equal to Milord Protogenus, for me to properly integrate you all into our world I must set one aside to act as a research sample. The one who will be my research sample will be subjected to existential and conceptual transformations. This is all to reduce the chances of transitioning failure on the other summoned champions."

Once again, my focus shifted back to the vision and calm sensation left me and with that hole it left, dread came oozing back out like pus from a wound.

[Klein]: 'Dangit!... Anis make it stop!'

I pleaded unable to look away.

[Anis]: 'It'll end soon.'

Anis said with her voice still echoing behind me but it was a lot closer now.

[Anis]: 'look properly.'

She said. Now whispering straight to my ear. She sounded resolute and stern. The act had a menacing feel to it. Almost like she would kill me if I looked away from it all. Then the vision shifted. It was a girl crying inside a glass ball.

"No! Stop! Please! Anyone?! Anyone, please help me! Aghhh!!!"

The girl was slim. She had a Bobcat hair. It was short and black coupled with blue eyes and fair skin. She cried but was disregarded. Her companions who had grown up from the same world she had all turn their heads looking away. Some even released a sigh as if relieved it wasn't them but her. As she begged her body glowed and parts of her body began to randomly combust each time she pleads.

[Klein]: 'Dangit!... I got to save her! Anis make it stop now!'

Hadding enough I once again rushed to the vision. Hoping, praying that my fist would reach her. But it was all in vain.

"Cough... Help... Help me please-!... Ahhh!!!"

With a ragged breath, the girl once again cried for help. Her eyes looking like she sees me despite being a memory. Her eyes hinting at me to save her. I once again futilely turned to the navigator and aimed to lounge at him again.

[Klein]: 'You-!'

I screamed with all my might but I fell silent after I saw someone else rushing at the navigator. It was a young man, and as he got to arm's length he punched at the navigator only to been stopped by an invisible barrier.

"Couldn't you have put her to sleep or given any anesthesia, you monster?!"

The young man screamed with a force of a lion's roar. And in doing so, the stitches on his mouth cut loose, digging his skin with it. Now bloodied from the mouth and the hand he used to punch the barrier. The young man ready himself with eyes that want to kill, continued to punch the barrier. It was then I was able to process who this person was. And it was me. That young man punching and screaming was none other than me. I stared at my past self with a strange feeling but not understanding why.

[Navi]: "That's the point on why I am going this. I can't give her anything. You otherworlders have a vastly different form of composition compared to the residents of this world. Even if I apply any form of anesthesia. It wouldn't have worked since I do not have the required knowledge to apply it. Rather, it would have compromised the study if it did work. Because I wouldn't understand the reaction of your kind's nervous system if she was numb to pain."

The navigator said as he raises his hand towards the girl.

"Ahhh!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!"

The girl convulses and screamed.

[Navi]: "Everything I am doing is to ensure the rest of you wouldn't have to undergo this process."

As he said that. Blood began to pour from all the orifices of the girl.

[Past Klein]: "Screw you! I'll kill you! Let her go now!"

My past self roars as he watched in horror on what's about to come unable to do anything.

"Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!"

The girl's body imploded and turn to a kind of liquid meat.

[Past Klein]: No!!!!!"

My past self let out a scream as if to defy what had to happen and the vision begins to fade to black.

[Anis]: 'Do you remember who I am now?'

She said and I turned. And my eyes opened wide from what I saw.

[Klein]: 'Anis... That form... That girl... Was she you?...'

Anis, the disembodied voice who pops up in my head appears before me only that her form... It was no mistaking it. She was that girl who was used as a guinea pig from the memories.

[Anis]: 'Exactly. I don't know how long, but it felt like an eternity.'

She confirmed with a pained expression. Realizing it was a sour topic but it was one I'd still want to hear. Thus I reluctantly asked her.

[Klein]: '...What happened after that...'

Anis looked at me with an expression that says 'It can't be helped'

[Anis]: 'The memory isn't clear, but ultimately my soul was destroyed and its remnant stayed alive within you.'

Anis sad-looking strangely sad yet happy.

[Klein]: 'What do you mean your remnant stayed alive within? Are you possessing me?'

I asked back wondering if I had been possessed. Anis looked straight in the eyes.

[Anis]: 'I'm not possessing you. I have become a part of you. Remember when you saw your status. There was a part that says [CORRUPTED SOUL FRAGMENT: 1]. I am that fragment. I am an echo of my former self. A lingering shadow after death.'

As she said with a sorrowful expression

[Klein]: 'How come I don't remember any of this? What happened to us? How did we get here?'

I bombarded her with questions. But if it means finally know what is going on, it may as well be worth it.

[Anis]: 'I could tell you, but telling you would result in awakening lost memories. You aren't ready for that yet.'

Rage fills me up.

[Klein]: 'Not ready... After showing me this much, you're saying I'm not ready?!'

I said as I stood a few centimeters away from her face.

[Anis]: 'I am saying exactly that.'

Despite my anger, Anis didn't budge.

[Anis]: 'Besides. Now isn't the time to worry about such things.'

Instead, she had steered my mind to something else entirely.

[Anis]: 'Do you remember? You have been swallowed whole by the lesser demon.'

My body stood straight with a jolt. The confusion begins to seep in and my sweat begins to pour out.

[Klein]: '!!!... I remember now... That thing stabbed me... And ate me whole...'

That was right... I was swallowed whole from a Corpse Demon whom I thought was dead.

[Anis]: 'Then you can guess where we are right now.'

Anis followed up and I prayed deep down that I was wrong.

[Klein]: 'In his stomach...'

I said and Anis nodded.

[Anis]: 'Physically speaking, yes we are in the stomach. Mentally speaking, we are deep in your subconsciousness.'

It made sense. So far everything I've seen was closer to abstract being.

[Klein]: 'Which is why you have a body... And why I can see those memories...'

She nodded.

[Anis]: 'And so our next course of action is to escape.'

Anis said as she now holds a piece of chalk in her hand.

[Klein]: 'What do you have in mind?'

With anticipation, I asked being hopeful for a speck of silver lining in all of this.

[Anis]: 'I don't have anything in mind. All we can do is wait for an opportunity to escape.'

Only to have my hopes crushed... As I felt helpless and depressed, I saw Anis and my heart filled itself with shame...

[Klein]: '... Hey Anis... Thank you and sorry if I had been mean to you for a while now...'

[Anis]: 'Where did that come from? I had expected you to throw a tantrum and demand unreasonable things.'

Anis said with eyes wide open from an unexpected surprise.

[Klein]: '... Sorry... After I saw what you've been through... Plus the fact you've been honest with me and the fact that you've helped me out for a while now made me realize that I've been a jerk since I woke up in that crater...'

I honestly told her and then a slight smile formed on her face.

[Anis]: ('...This is why it was all worth it...')

[Klein]: 'Did you just smile?'

[Anis]: 'Indeed I did.'

She honestly said as her smile grew.

[Klein]: 'It was pretty. In any case, what happens when I wake up?'

[Anis]: 'You'll end up in a room full of souls who were also eaten by the demon. The room will be cramped but if you can reshape your spirit form it'll become bearable, to say the least.'

[Klein]: '... Great...'

Anis gave a slight laugh and said.

[Anis]: 'Relax, I'll help you train. Also, I can help you control your skill like a second brain.'

It was reassuring, to say the least, but Anis is definitely my, one and only, silver lining in all of this.

[Klein]: 'Speaking of which, what were those numbers beside the skills? I originally thought it was for skill levels but it had denominator beside it.'

I asked as I recalled my status previously.

[Anis]: 'The denominator refers to how much the system had helped you in regards to that skill. The Hero System bestows knowledge or corrections to corresponding skills. Take for example Mathematics and Speech, being an otherworlder, you generically had skills such as speaking and counting. The words 'level 20' placed on it refers to how capable you are at it based on the humanoid residents of this world. The denominator is '0' because you had not received any support from the system. When the denominator is greater than the skill level, the user is being supported by the system until the user's skill level matches that of the denominator.'

I imagine a student suddenly being tutored by his teacher when I thought of her explanation.

[Klein]: '... So, the bigger denominator, basically means my skill's proficiency is being increased... Making it easier to level up the skill?'

[Anis]: 'You are absolutely right. Though, that is not all it does. Regardless if the denominator is lower than the skill level, the skill is being supported in terms of success correction, activation time and skill requirements. Depending on its number though.'

Anis happily confirmed my findings as she supplements it more.

[Klein]: 'Basically cool down, cast time and stamina requirements are reduced when the action is being supported is that right?'

[Anis]: 'Klein you are surprisingly intuitive.'

I smiled. It felt great to relax and feel complimented every now and then. I then proceed to ask her more questions.

[Klein]: 'Thanks. But how do I get the system to help me or give me skills?'

[Anis]: 'You can't.'

Her answer threw me off guard. I wonder what is the point of this Hero System when it can't actually help you despite it being made to support Heroes.

[Klein]: 'That isn't a reassuring answer, what exactly do you mean I can't?'

[Anis]: 'The one who has control of the system is that God. And only that person can bestow skill corrections.'

Anis said we made a disgusted look when this world's god was mentioned. I sighed and sarcastically said.

[Klein]: 'This just keeps getting better and better doesn't it?'

Anis nodded but then proceeded to summon a chalkboard out of thin air.

[Anis]: 'You do have some supported skills provided by the system. It's [Godly Sacrifice] and [Soul and Memory Magic].'

[Klein]: 'Okay so what do those do?'

She started and I eagerly got excited from the prospects of receiving cheat skills.

[Anis]: '[Soul and Memory Magic] can control souls and memory. It is the main reason why the memories that you've lost are being shown within your dreams. This skill is subconsciously calling out to them. Controlling your own soul, making you able to dream. While [Godly Sacrifice] uses otherworld energy to give you any kind of support, be it information, skills, stats, or levels. But it has a huge flaw.'

Anis said, and I tried to keep up.

[Klein]: 'Anis too much information. For now, let's focus on [Godly Sacrifice] why does it have a flaw?'

[Anis]: 'The skill was given by that person for otherworlders to expend their otherworld energy. The skill stops functioning after the user had exhausted his supply of otherworld energy.'

So it is unique to all otherworlders.

[Klein]: 'By how you are phrasing it, I guess the otherworld energy doesn't recover over time...'

Anis nodded sadly.

[Anis]: 'Correct and also, there is a limit on how many stats and skills you can possess. And this limit is shown as [Soul Capacity]'

[Klein]: 'Soul capacity huh... [OPEN STATUS].'

I said and with my fingers crossed I looked at my status.


[ENTITY STATUS MENU VERSION 0.1.1 - BETA]

NAME: NAMELESS

SPECIES: LIVING DISEMBODIED SOUL

TITLE: OTHER-WORLDER, BACK-DOOR USER, UNKNOWN TO THE GODS, LIVING UNDEAD

LEVEL: 0

OTHERWORLD ENERGY: 150

SOUL CAPACITY: 100/100

SOUL PARTICLES: 10/100

CORRUPTED SOUL FRAGMENT: 1

PARAMETERS:

Agility: 0

Strength: 0

Endurance: 0

Intelligence: 0

Dexterity: 0

Magic: 0

SKILLS:

Composure (Lv. 10/0), Running (Lv. 3/0), Stealth (Lv. 1/0), Magic Control (Lv. 1/1), Soul Control (Lv. 2/1)(Leveled Up!), Memory Control (Lv. 1/1), Mathematics (Lv. 20/0), Speach (Lv. 20/0)

UNIQUE SKILLS:

Godly Sacrifice, Soul and Memory Magic (Lv. 1/1)

TRAITS:

Hero System Beta, Back Door User, Bodiless, Not-Quite Undead, Soul Chimera Abomination, Memory Error


And I saw a (100/100)... As much as I would have loved to make that my during any kind of exam, but.

[Klein]: 'Please don't tell me I am not capable of gaining any stats or skills from the system due to my capacity being  maxed out...'

I said half hoping to finally just give up.

[Anis]: 'Actually, you still are capable of receiving those. It is just that... Your soul will start to shatter when you go beyond the limit the designated capacity...'

And yet again my expectations have hurt me...

[Klein]: '... Well no use crying over spilled milk. When I wake up, the first thing we'll do is train my [Soul Control] Skill right?'

[Anis]: 'Yes that is what we will do. But for now, I want you to prepare yourself, so I will teach you the basics for magic before you wake.'

0