Act III, Part VI
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ACT III – CORE-COLLAPSING INFERNO

 

Part VI: The Earthlings’ Decision

 

Before Reimei knew it, an argument had started between her classmates and the two teachers and between some of the classmates themselves. All she could do in the face of that combined with the aftereffects of the shocking revelations she’d heard on the video was to remain a completely silent and motionless observer of the event.

(Tokura) ‘Lawell-sensei, I get you needed that information bad, but isn’t what you did to those two illegal?! And was it worth it even?! Could you get them to tell you everything in the end?!!’

Zoran was just as silent and motionless as Reimei, Obur taking over for him to answer the questions asked by Tokura.

(Obur) ‘When it comes to protecting the way of life deviants in this city have in the present, Tora, I’m willing to go even further. We couldn’t make them crack all the way last night, but if we keep going at it, one of them will spill out the rest of the stuff we need to know, I’m sure. So that’s what we’re going to keep doing until we get results.’

Reimei’s classmate with raspberry-colored hair was left as shocked as she had been earlier by the Literature teacher’s words, falling silent as well afterwards while things got the most heated between Seiren and Hikaru who he was pointing a finger at.

(Seiren) ‘If the Devibolts are involved, I say this bastard here should be our prime suspect! Maybe the whole thing his granddaddy did during the rehearsal was planned with Summerbolt’s help? So they could somehow infect more students with those particles that let Mara control them?!!’

(Hikaru) ‘You’ve known me long enough to know the only people I hate more than you are the Devibolts, Blackscale, yet you’re accusing me now?! Don’t forget Vivaya-sensei was exposed to Bel’s deva when he stopped her fight with Yoni, which means he was infected, too! You’re in his club, aren’t you? What’s to say you haven’t already been infected and are working for the enemy right now?!’

Reimei was expecting Yuki to break up the fight between the rivals, but she seemed to be tormented by guilt more than anyone else in the room, instead Annabel being the one to intervene by first using light beams to push Hikaru and Seiren away from each other, alternating between looking at the two as she did that.

(Annabel) ‘Wait a minute! Mara Kilzarad is locked up somewhere under the school, right? So she can’t control anyone!!’

(Yonira) ‘Or you’re under her control right now and are just saying that to make us let our guard down!!’

(Annabel) ‘Careful, rock bitch. I wasn’t the one who worked as a double agent during the zoo visit.’

(Yonira) ‘No, you’re just the one who helped me corner Mei and the others during that visit.’

Now the angered Vega – a side of the drunkard Reimei had never seen during the couple of days she’d known him for – pushed some of the others aside, having concentrated on three particular girls among his classmates.

(Vega) ‘I think all ya guys are missing something important! Jill Lahala’s the one behind all this, right? She’s got a club of her own – the Dance Club! And we’ve got three of its members in our class!! What if they’re the ones who started the whole particle infection thing?! It’s them we should be questioning!!!’

Next up happened something the scarlet-haired beauty also thought she would never see – King arguing with Vega, the two of them having left her with the impression of being very close friends with a similar mindset, after all. King had reverted to his normal form while everyone had been watching the video, but as he came head-to-head with the drunkard, he started turning into an orange-haired green-eyed giant again, looking quite angry himself.

(King) ‘You saying we should put the girls in a room and torture them like what they did to Rafael and Mara, Vega?’

(Vega) ‘If they make us, that’s what we’ll do! The lives of all deviants in Deckstoru are in danger now and we’ve got to do something about it!! If someone doesn’t suffer, everyone might end up dying!!!’

The arguments between classmates – between friends – only became more heated after that, a point coming where Reimei couldn’t stand how loud everyone was shouting, how ready they were to fight each other or how different the members of the class she trusted the most were acting now. Yuki had fully succumbed to guilt and had still not uttered a word or moved an inch, Hikaru was accusing some of his friends after having shown so much devotion to them earlier and Seiren wasn’t trying to comfort anybody amid all this, being driven only by an unnatural hunger for violence instead.

Miss Scarlettail didn’t want to hear any of this. She didn’t want to see any of it. She didn’t even want to be in this place right now.

The one place she had hoped to one day call home had become just as bad as the old one, if not worse. So she resorted to the self-preservation tactic she would always rely on in situations like this – convincing herself it was all just a bad dream and ignoring her surroundings until things calmed down and everything vanished.

Such scenarios most often ended with multiple waves being summoned beyond her control to push away the irritants, but that is not how the situation was resolved this time around. Instead Reimei felt a particular type of heat starting to burn her skin – the same type she had felt in the most critical moment of the zoo battle.

And just like then, when she opened her eyes, she saw the massive phoenix flame feathery wings that had sprouted from Zoran’s back, only this time they weren’t used to protect. Their power had instead served to separate all the classmates who were about to fight each other, only growing more and more in terms of both heat and size to make sure no one would dare lay a finger on the other, but that was not even the most efficient tool the former headmaster had put to use.

His main tool was his face, any sliver of kindness having been melted away from it, leaving only the threat of destruction the likes of which no student in the room could hope to survive. So everyone fell quiet, having been completely subdued by his will power alone, Zoran finally starting to talk after he had eliminated any possibility of an interruption.

(Zoran) ‘That’s enough. From all of you.

I didn’t want to do the things I did to Mara and Rafael, but they left me with no other choice, so all of you better believe that if you keep doing this, I won’t have a choice but to do the same to you.’ – he paused for a moment to look at each and every member of his class and when he spoke again, his voice sounded much louder, his tone being much more reproachful – ‘Did you forget who you are?! Did it just evaporate from your heads that quick?! You’re Sunbird High School and Zoran Lawell’s Earthling Class No. 1!!!! You’re the strongest, smartest, most capable, most caring and most insane young deviants in this city and beyond!!!

You’re the ones who brought down the oppressors from Mara’s class!!! She is nothing more than a remnant of them!!! And she and her allies are powerful enough to get under your skin?!! That’s bullshit!!!!

What you’re doing right now is exactly what Jill wants!!!! To make you tear each other apart until you become weak enough for her to come in and take control of you!!!! If you keep this up, she won’t even have to rely on Mara’s mind control to do it!!! All the fear and doubt you’re feeling right now will be enough to make you bow down to her!!! And I would break every bone in you bodies before I let that happen!!!!

Because you’re the people I believe in the most!!!! You’re the ones I want to entrust this city, this country and even the whole planet’s future to!!! So don’t any of you dare doubt and fight each other like this again and make me in turn doubt if I’ve made the right choice by trusting you!!! Got it?!?!!’

The homeroom teacher’s speech had really had quite an effect on all his students, none of them answering his final question, but after looking around, Reimei thought the guilty looks they now had on their faces were confirmation enough. This served to calm down Zoran as well, continuing with another speech after he lessened the size and heat exuded by his wings, but kept them burning hot enough.

(Zoran) ‘I showed you this video to help you understand this whole plot is a lot bigger than we thought. So even without Mara being a factor, I don’t think we can rule out the possibility of someone being put under mind control somehow.

There’s another reason I wanted you to know all these things, however. Why I don’t want any of the other students to know yet except this class.

What all of you did with Mara’s class during the Nebula Battle … that started something. It shook this whole city up. You brats and the Summerbolts did this. So now everyone’s looking at you. Both good and bad people.

Knowing that, you need to decide what you’re going to do from here on out. Whether you’re going to step up and protect Deckstoru while risking to get hurt and hated even more than now, or run away from all this like Rafael and Mara said they would and leave someone else to deal with the trouble here.’

(Miluna) ‘Hold up, sensei. We didn’t sign up for this. We didn’t know about any of this shit. Just like how we didn’t know what the Nightsongs were really cooking up when we agreed to fight in the Class Battle.’

(Zoran) ‘That won’t be a good enough excuse for the bad guys. It won’t be a good enough excuse for anyone, actually.’ – now Mr. Lawell focused his gaze on the ever so guilty-looking Yuki – ‘Yuki seems to have figured that out already.’

The whole class’ attention was redirected to the white-haired beauty as well, Yuki needing a few more moments to compose herself before sharing her opinion on what Zoran had said.

(Yuki) ‘This whole thing … it started because of me. Because of my fight with Ulura on my first day at Sunbird. Without that, there wouldn’t have been a Class Battle and without it, Mara’s class were still going to be with her, which means she wouldn’t have joined Jill to get revenge on all of us. Maybe Rafael wouldn’t have, either, because the way everyone saw our class and the Summerbolts changed after the battle.

I … I had really hoped we’d put all of that behind us … that it was over … but it’s not. Not yet.’ – she had slowly been gaining her confidence back the more she spoke, having become fully determined by the time she had finished the last sentence and looking at Zoran with that determination burning bright in her eyes as she spoke again – ‘So I’m going to fight until I finish it. I have to. I owe it to my friends, my family … and my home. Making excuses won’t save Deckstoru and the people in it. Fighting will. And since I’ve already done my share of fighting, I’ll just keep doing that.’

Yuki wasn’t the only one who had undergone a change as she had kept talking, everyone from her class and Obur being in awe when she was finished while Zoran alone had a proud look on his face. Realizing what a reaction her words had caused among her friends, the white-haired beauty became flustered – a feeling her scarlet-haired counterpart could relate to more than anyone else – starting to wave around with her hands in a fit of panic.

(Yuki) ‘I-I mean … that’s just what I think. It’s not like I’m saying all of us should fight. I just had the chance to think about what I’m going to do while you guys were fighting, so that’s why …’

No one had asked Reimei what she thought about the whole situation she was now more personally involved in than ever and she hadn’t dared to share her opinion so far. Also, considering how much more attached to Deckstoru and its people each of her other classmates were, it would’ve made sense for one of them to support Yuki first. Hikaru and Seiren could support her right off the bat just because of how much they cared for her.

But instead Miss Scarlettail was the one to voice her agreement with the ice maiden’s position first – to everyone and especially to her own surprise.

(Reimei) ‘You won’t be alone, Yuki. No one should fight a battle like this alone. It seems Jill, the Devibolts and who knows how many others have some special plan for me, so this is now as much my fight as it is everyone else’s.’ – the scarlet-haired beauty paused for a moment because what she wanted to say next was too embarrassing, but when she looked at Hikaru’s eyes that were as supportive as ever, she found the courage to share with her class the truth she had been realizing more and more herself – ‘And though you often scare me, make me feel weird and are just too crazy, I really like everyone in our class and our school … so if there’s someone threatening both these things I care about … there’s no other option for me but to fight!’

Having barely been able to finish the last sentence, Reimei immediately closed her eyes after because of how flustered it made her feel, sensing she was blushing perhaps more than what was biologically possible for a human. She couldn’t bear to look at any of the classmates or Zoran and Obur after what she had just said, the urge to release some waves to clear up everything that caused her discomfort starting to rise deep within her again.

But a shout stopped Miss Scarlettail from doing that, resonating throughout her being like the echo of thunder that spread in the sky after a lightning bolt.

(Hikaru) ‘If she’s fighting, none of us have the right to say we’re going to run away!!! Not even you, Exo!! This girl’s been in our city for a few days and is willing to fight for it, so what the hell could our excuse be after we’ve lived in Deckstoru for years?! I don’t see any excuse that could possibly be valid and besides, like Yuki said, we’re done making excuses!! It’s time we get to fighting again!!!!’

Reimei opened her eyes then, instantly realizing Yuki was standing next to her from one side, Hikaru – from the other, Seiren now stepping closer to his rival with a confident and challenging smirk.

(Seiren) ‘You’re gonna fight, eh, Summerbolt? Did you forget you fried yourself by overusing your deva during the Nebula Battle? You can barely shoot out a few bolts now and won’t be of much use for another week or so. I can’t leave my queens with only someone like you to count on, so I’ll be joining the fight, too.’

Following their standard rival pattern, the mad genius grinned just as confidently at the pervert, Annabel and Yonira mirroring their behavior at the same time.

(Yonira) ‘Our last fight was rigged with you being under mind control, Annabel, so I’m going to do all I can to put a stop to this plot. Then we can have ourselves a proper showdown!!’

(Annabel) ‘You read my mind, Yonira! But just so you know, if I suspect you’re being controlled again in any way, I’m going to take you out preemptively!!!’

From there the others started roaring to support what their friends had already said, some of the girls still seeming to be more scared than willing to fight, but Exo surprisingly pulled them all closer to himself, having become too unnaturally motivated all of a sudden.

(Exo) ‘I don’t like this, either, girls, trust me. But we have to do it. We have to fight. I didn’t barely survive the battle with Nepalo, face off against Line-sensei and escape Urkis Nightsong’s onslaught just so Jill Lahala can destroy my life now.

When it comes to fighting, I can’t promise I’ll do much, but I will definitely protect you. I promise. So let’s stand with the others.’

Vega went over to the cowardly techno-genius next, King grabbing each of them by the waist after entering his complete giant form again while Tokura climbed on the giant’s back, scaring Exo and Reimei who was observing all this.

(Vega) ‘That’s it! We’ve done it!! If even Ex is on board with this, we’ve got the whole class ready to fight!!!’

(King) ‘We wouldn’t stand a chance otherwise! But now it’s the enemy that’s gonna get their asses kicked!!!’

(Tokura) ‘We only just freed Sunbird from Ulura and her class to hand it over to Jill!! Anyone who tries to destroy our school will have to deal with us!!! All of us!!! Let’s go, Earthlings!!!’

Even mightier roars were torn from the chests of the youngsters now, the state of euphoria they had entered being in such contrast with the previous mood in the room that Reimei couldn’t help herself from bursting out laughing and even having tears in her eyes because her body couldn’t handle the mass excitement. Looking over at Exo, he had started laughing as well, the same being valid for the previously scared girls from the class, Zoran and Obur folding their arms while observing this with a smile.

(Obur) ‘Alright, then! Since you’ve all made up your minds, how about we get to the other thing we came here for?’

Some of the Earthlings became confused when they heard that, Reimei being among those who hadn’t forgotten there was another thing to do in the adaptability chamber besides watching the interrogation video. Her homeroom teacher cleared things up for everyone just in case, though.

(Zoran) ‘Considering all the threats you brats are going to be facing, you’ll need to trust each other even more, but be more ready to fight against the other than ever before. The best way to do both those things is have you go through extreme training together, so that’s what we’re going to do now. Spar in pairs in the separate rooms of this chamber.’

(Nalisia) ‘When you say ‘we’, sensei … are you going to be sparring with someone as well?’

(Zoran) ‘There’s 12 rooms and 23 members of your class, so however you look at it, we’re one fighter short. When Feoria and Ayli are all healed up, I’ll have them come here as well and watch the video and if they’re as willing to join the fight as the rest of you, Obur will spar with them in one of the rooms. But right now, we here are going to make use of the other eleven.’

The girls and Exo didn’t seem too thrilled after they heard that information, but the rest of the boys had become very excited, trying to push each other out of the way as they fought to stand as close to Zoran as possible, comically puzzling Reimei yet again.

(Hikaru) ‘If sensei’s fighting, I’ll be the one to spar with him!! I’ve been waiting for this for a long time!!’

(Seiren) ‘Like hell, Summerbolt! You couldn’t beat anyone from our class right now and think you can try your luck with sensei?! He’s mine!!’

(King) ‘I got taken out too early in the Nebula Battle, so you owe me this session, guys! Let me fight him!!’

(Tokura) ‘I took the title of strongest student from Nepalo! Now it’s time to beat you, sensei, and become the strongest deviant in Sunbird as a whole!! Fight me!!!’

(Vega) ‘Let me show you how much stronger I’ve gotten since you made me sober up, sensei!! Or you too afraid I’ll kick your ass?!’

(Zoran) ‘I appreciate how ready to fight me all of you are, but Obur and I have already chosen the pairs for each of the rooms. Hikaru’s in no condition to fight me, so he’ll be taking on Yuki instead, because I’m sure she’ll go easy on him but still make for a good sparring session.’

(Hikaru) ‘Damn it, sensei! Not fair!! Which of these other bastards are you going to fight, then?!’

(Zoran) ‘None, actually. My sparring partner will be Reimei.’

0