[3] Unusual Tendencies
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The afternoon passed rather slowly, Emi and I caught up with each other’s “life progress”. I’d managed to convince the sleepy, fox-eared girl that Emi was safe to be around. To my surprise, Emi had her on her lap and was making the child giggle with kids' stories, in less time than it took to get them to be open with me. 

A loud rumble of the young girl's stomach and the position of her ears told both of us that she was rather hungry. What made it cuter, was when she emphasised her arms clutching across her belly. 

‘Sowwy. I’m a little hungry.’ She mumbled as her cheeks became erubescent. 

I reached over and began scratching behind her ears. She leant into my touch, before moving away and covering her mouth in surprise. At that moment, I’d heard the sound akin to a cat's purring. Emi and I both stared at the girl in surprise as her face went from the warm glow to a strong red in embarrassment. 

‘It’s okay to be yourself around us, sweetie.’ Emi cooed to her, pulling her hands down from her face gently. 

‘...Weally?’ 

The way her eyes went from a distant look to sparking brightly, made Emi “aww” at how cute it was. When another gurgle from her stomach told us otherwise. The mute girl snuggled into my left arm began to stir from her sleep, rubbing her eyes as a long yawn came from her mouth. 

Keeping still, I felt her jerk a little, until she saw me looking at her. With a warm smile, she attempted a very small smile back as she hugged me around the neck. After a few seconds, I help her move around to sit on my lap, like her sister on Emi’s. 

As she started taking her surroundings in, I could feel her become anxious and more alert. But before she could panic, I gently wrapped my arms around her. I felt her relax by leaning into me, before both their stomachs rumbled loudly. Immediately followed by their erubescent faces.

‘Right, It’s definitely time for some food for these two.’ My friend said, ruffling the hair of the girl on her lap, then tickling her sides a little.

‘Hehehe! Stahp!’ She cried with laughter, as she squirmed in her lap. 

‘Right, I guess it’s time to find us some food.’ I remind them, as we pick up the young girls. ‘You hungry, little one?’ The girl in my safe embrace nodded, without making a sound. 

Walking around, I realised there were many places to eat. I was hoping that there was a suitable place for not just them to eat, but for the two of us as well. It took a short while, with the growing shadows of trees and buildings across the park before we stumbled across a place that felt almost perfect. 

Walking in, the warmth of the store immediately hit the four of us. We were also greeted by the strong whiff of fried chips and grilled meats adjoined with the ambient sound of food being cooked openly with the soft rumble of idle chatter around us. We stood in the queue, Emi and I openly discussing a random topic about superheroes.

The group of people in front must have had a large order of some kind, because it had taken a good ten minutes or so before their meal was served. After we’d stopped talking and just stood there in silence, the good kind that is, a sudden and very loud cough from behind. It had startled not just me, but both of the young girls as well. 

I watched Emi rub her forehead slightly, then turn on the edge of my vision towards the rude expelling of air, while the little girl in her arms visibly shakes out of fear. As if noticing my gaze, she immediately starts to reach for me. Before I could say anything, everything became a rush of colours as Emi handed me the girl as the group ahead of us finished and collected their order. 

There was a slightly heated discussion behind us as I walked up to the counter, both girls squirming a little in my arms. Luckily, the staff member was a lot more welcoming than the rude woman from behind us. However, I had barely noticed a glint of the same “stink-eye” hidden behind his expression, similar to the womans, but as he began serving us I could tell he was experienced with kids. Well, either that or he could see how stressed and worked up the kids and I were from the woman behind us.

‘Welcome to Donneli’s Diner. What would you like to have, young one?’ His fake, yet joyous tone grabbed her attention and I felt them relax a little. 

It had been fairly warm for the time we were out and I noticed the blonde girl was staring at the strawberry ice-cream. Her eyes showed worry and doubt, but I could feel her tail swishing slightly aganst my arm every time she looked at that flavour. Unfortunately, the younger girl had fallen asleep in my other arm again, so I didn’t get the chance to order anything for her. 

After getting a small platter for myself, I also ordered a small tub of strawberry ice-cream for the young girl. I let her sit down beside me as I gently placed the sleeping one on my lap. It was a few minutes before Emi came over with her food. 

‘Hey! What took you so long?’ I asked when I saw her upset face.

‘I had a bit of an argument with an anti-ABM believer again.’ She huffed, as she sat down beside the very hungry girl. 

I could hear a loud voice echo through the large interior, getting my attention. Turning to look towards the entrance, the source of the noise, it seemed like the woman was having issues with the two staff members talking to her. I noticed there was a man watching from the stairs up to the toilets and staff area. Some of thenearer  customers had even started to stare in her general direction.

'-o! I want to speak to the manager! This is outrageous!' The angry tone of this woman seeped through the entire diner, to the point that it was less than half the volume it had previously been at.

'Ma'am, I am the owner of this place and I will say to you once again you are forbidden for your vulgar language and behaviour. I have already called the cops and they should be here any minute.' The man replied, who’d walked over from the stairwell, his barely noticeable American accent accentuated in his frustrated tone.

As she sat outside the diner, it took me a moment to notice a red patch on Emi's cheek when I looked back at her. I was infuriated at the gesture, but too cowardly to do or say anything about it. I watched as she kept rubbing at it, before a waitress came over with a piece of cloth in her hand. A drip of water fell from a corner of the cloth as Emi took the cloth with a “thank you” to the waiter.

‘I am so glad someone finally stood up to that customer. She’s been harassing us for months ever since they started hiring young ABM people like us.’ The young woman blurted, as she began showing off her animalised ears and tail, albeit discreetly. 

‘I just didn’t like the fact she was making specist remarks towards these lovely girls.’ Emi replied, scratching the head of the young girl between us. 

A sudden shuffling in my arm was the sign of the other one waking up, but this time, I felt her jerk and stiffen in fright. Looking at her face, I could see the stains of tears covering her cheeks as her eyes radiated with fear as she quietly clung to me tightly. I could barely hear her sniffling into my shoulder, as if to hide her tears.

I think my friend noticed as well, because she got out a small napkin from a pocket and reached over to wipe her tears away. The little girl didn’t fuss about it and stayed still as her face was cleaned from the salty mess. 

‘Poor thing. She must’ve had a bad dream.’ my friend whispered in my ear, as she cleaned up the last few streaks. 

I felt a tugging on my side, followed by a set of adorable eyes. It felt weird being around these kids. I wanted to care for them, but I knew nothing about parenting and everytime it crossed my mind, it felt like it was going to be hard work. I don’t know how hard it’ll be to care for these two alongside myself, but a few thoughts that skittered across my mind started to form into a small plan. If it could even work. 

I hoped she’d say yes to the thought of, while I’m on the hunt for a decent job, being my exclusive babysitter. The thoughts were hesitant, but I just couldn’t say no to those adorable eyes of the girls.

‘Hey Emi, I’ve got a question for you.’

‘Yeah? What is it?’ She replied, sitting back with the girl who’d just finished her sugary treat.

I hesitated at the immediate response.

‘I was wondering... How would you like to be a temporary babysitter?’ I felt like I was about to regret asking, when her eyes lit up as the awake girl stared in surprise.

‘That would be wonderful! I’ll have to work it into my shift schedule somehow.’ 

Her rosy cheeks and her warm smile released an unexpectedly huge weight on my shoulders. I hugged the girl closer to my side, getting a stifled giggle in the process and a loving hug. We sat and discussed the terms of the babysitting, while the two girls played what looked like a game of pattycake between themselves. 


The afternoon was one of those days where it was relatively free of other ignorant and entitled people having a go at someone for being different to their “personal norms”. The girls were looking rather sleepy as we both walked back to our, well, my apartment. The day had been relatively easygoing, which was an honest surprise for me, but my anxiety had been reduced simply by the interaction with the girls and with my good friend Emi.

I could hear Emi teasing the young girl, as she kept yawning every now and then, until she nodded off against her shoulder, just like the younger one in my arms. Upon reaching the elevator, a young black lad managed to slip into the elevator at the last second. Luckily, I knew him and his mother. Pretty much everyone knew anyone who lived in this building. 

‘Evening Johnny. How’s your mother doing?’ I asked, rubbing his head with my free hand. 

‘My mother is doing fine. She’s struggling to get around the apartment lately, so I’m getting her shopping for her.” He replied, lifting the shopping bag I hadn’t noticed he was carrying. 

‘I hope she’s doing okay.’ Emi murmured, as she glanced at me worryingly. 

Johnny’s mother Augustina, or as she prefers, Tina, had moved in a while ago, back when the smart lad before us was about the same age as the girls. Emi had known for a while longer, but during our talk, I’d gotten the news about how Tina has another baby on the way, but was just shy of the money for any hospital medical bills. It was a shock, but as a small community, we helped out one another. That way she was able to relax while her friends and neighbours were tasked with helping her out. Mainly all the other mothers on her floor.

‘Well say to her from us. We hope to hear from her soon!’ I added, exuberated at the thought of him having a sibling on their way. 

As he slunk off with the two heavy bags in each hand, I was always reminded of how strong he could be one day. Then let my thoughts wonder to more of my usual focus. I felt exhaustion seeping into my body and relief building up as we approached my apartment. The door was slightly ajar, which I mentally cursed myself over, but didn’t have to worry. Nothing was misplaced or overturned, but I did see a hand-written note from someone saying it had swung open while they strode past while I was out and had tried to shut it without a keycard. 

As the two girls slowly made their way into the large social area, Emi noticed their growing tiredness and led them to my spare room, annoyingly with a bed larger than my own. Seeing her taking care of them like how a babysitter would, it had distracted the thoughts from the note in my hand. While reading, I was hit by a little wave of worry, followed shortly by even more relief as I groggily read the page-long note from the neighbour.

I need to rest my eyes a little. I groaned mentally, placing the note in the trash as I eyed the empty sofa being bathed in a sea of gentle and warm colours from beyond the windows. Just a little power-nap and I’ll find myself feeling better. 

A few sparrows were lined up on the edge of my balcony, and stupidly, I began counting them and silently giving them names and voices until my eyelids started feeling heavy. I felt something akin to a caring, warm set of eyes land on me briefly, but I was too tired to care as I dozed off thinking of random interactions for the sparrows that had suddenly flown off together. 

Instead of feeling worried or stressed by the events of today, I strangely found myself feeling a little bit of contentment as I drifted off into a world where all I had to worry about was keeping my feet on the floor. 

0