[F119-122] Chapter-36: Shopkeeper’s Training Session (Full Part)
227 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Sai and Linda ate and chatted lightly together, Sai mused that if Linda were transported to Earth, she could easily establish a career as a model. With that height and natural beauty, she would look stunning gracing magazine covers or walking down fashion runways.

 

Here in this fantasy game world though, Linda filled the role of a magic student at the academy. She specialized in healing-type spells as well as defensive barriers. From what Sai knew of her character background, Linda had grown up in a small countryside village (which is the same village as Hana) before getting accepted to attend this acclaimed school for mages. She tended to be rather shy and insecure about her mediocre magical talents though, considering herself very average especially compared to close friends in her classmates.

 

However, Sai found Linda's humble personality quite refreshing amidst all the intense drama between Dragon lords, Divine heroes, and their epic semi-love affairs (he meant Akane and other girls). Spending time with Linda felt comfortable, casual, and fun. It reminded Sai of the simpler pleasures in his old ordinary life back on Earth. No pretentious acts or world-shattering stakes - just lighthearted moments between two regular young students.

 

As Sai finished the last bites of his lunch, he saw Linda looking at him hesitantly. "Hey, Sai...would it be alright if we did this more often? If you don't mind, maybe we could have more meals together. Only if you want to though!" She swallowed nervously after extending this request, awaiting his reaction.

 

While scratching his head, Sai nodded and said "I think having more shared lunches or dinner meetups sounds great."

 

Linda's whole being seemed to glow at his agreement. "Oh thank goodness! I was worried I was being too forward asking that." She giggled in relief. 

 

"Not at all," Sai insisted kindly. After another moment pondering her bubbly presence that so differed from the usual drama around him, he added playfully "...Actually Linda, would you maybe want to accompany me into town this weekend? We could visit that new confectionery shop that opened. My sweet tooth is really craving one of their chocolate lava cakes!" 

 

"It's a date!" Linda responded instantly, before seeming to catch herself and stammering "...I - I mean not LIKE a romantic date of course! But I would love to go try those lava cakes too, so yes let's absolutely go there together!" Her cheeks flushed pink again.

 

Sai just chuckled, finding her flustered reactions kind of adorable. "Alright then, it's set - this weekend you and me and plenty of chocolate!" This elicited more embarrassed but happy giggles from Linda. 

 

Yes, Sai decided as they carried on chatting with grins on their faces, he could definitely see himself spending more carefree times like this with Linda. She had such a glow of kindness and contentment about her that was almost therapeutic amidst his chaotic supernatural circumstances lately. More moments enjoying Linda's upbeat companionship was surely just what Sai needed!

 

After Sai finished up his after-school club activities with Linda and Rebecca, the three of them decided to head over to the cafeteria shop together. As they entered and glanced around at the various snack options, Sai went toward the cash booth and noticed Ren sitting at one of the small tools on the cash counter. 

 

Ren looked up, spotted Sai, and waved a hand in greeting while calling out "Oh, Sai-kun! Fancy running into you here, how are you doing?" He had a casual, friendly smile on his face.

 

Seeing Ren's nonthreatening demeanor, Sai had to mentally question if this handsome and polite acting young man could truly be the same vicious fighter who had attacked Sai before just to test his abilities. Right now Ren seemed like any average academy cafeteria shopkeeper, blending into the background.

 

Yet Sai knew without a doubt this was the cunning and formidable Renin Brook - younger blood brother to the intimidating Mr. Ben himself. When battling Sai previously, Ren had demonstrated incredible superhuman powers and combat skills on par with the strongest characters in this world. His harmless handsome boy guise was clearly just a deceptive facade. 

 

Not responding to Ren's initial friendly greeting, Sai instead outright asked "Where is your brother Mr. Ben currently? Do you know?"

 

"Oh ho, no time for small talk I see!" Ren replied, raising one eyebrow in interest at Sai's blunt questioning. "Let's see...last I heard, my dear brother Ben said he would be waiting at the Daffodil Tower for you actually."

 

Sai gave a single nod, accepting this useful information. But he did not indulge Ren in any further conversation, still wary of the guy after their violent fight. 

 

As Sai turned to exit without another word, he heard Ren call out from behind him in a dramatically melancholy tone, "Aww, little Sai must really hate me now! That makes me so saaad!" His exaggerated emotional voice was like that of a theatric anime villain.

 

Listening to Ren bemoan Sai's cold attitude towards him, Sai thought to himself that this Brook brother really did have the perfect vocal talents to play some psychotic tormenting bully. The mix of overdone friendliness and despair Ren conveyed felt straight out of a cliche anime.

 

Shaking his head in dismissal, Sai maintained his silence and walked out of the cafeteria to head to the mentioned Daffodil Tower after taking his farewell from Rebecca and Linda. He was familiar enough with the central area around the academy to know Daffodil Tower was one of the biggest commercial office buildings located just a few blocks away. 

 

Sai wondered what business Mr. Ben could possibly have there. As an absurdly overpowered fighting master, waiting around an ordinary corporate tower seemed somehow bizarre. Then again, Sai still knew very little about the Brook brothers' actual origins or activities within this fantasy world. He made a mental note to try and learn more about the mysterious pair.

 

As Sai trekked down the sidewalk on route to the Tower, his mind circled back to recalling the intense duel he had fought with Renin Brook not long ago. Sai had just been going about a normal club activity when unexpectedly Ren had appeared and teleported him without warning. The sly fighter had even adopted disguises first to remain unnoticed. 

 

Ren proved himself exceptionally cunning and strategic in battle on top of his obvious physical might. He pressed Sai to use Kyoka Suigetsu, which he had sworn not to use unless he faced high level difficulty.

 

Ultimately, Sai emerged victorious in the battle, but it appeared that Ren wasn't operating at full power as he had been restrained by Ben. Ren even hinted he may show up again later seeking another rematch. That prospect seriously intimidated Sai, worried he could not possibly be ready so soon for another round against that monster.

 

Yes, Sai pondered anxiously, underneath his harmless looking exterior Renin Brook hid vicious fangs and talons indeed... Truly a wolf in sheep's clothing. Letting his guard down around either Brook brother would undoubtedly prove fatal. 

 

Emerging from his tense reflections, Sai suddenly found himself standing before the immense glass doors of Daffodil Tower itself. Shaking off remnants of intimidation from remembering Ren's immense battle pressures, Sai steeled his mind's focus.

Upon entering the towering skyscraper that was Daffodil Tower, Sai approached the main receptionist desk in the lobby. He asked the attendant seated there "Excuse me, do you happen to know if Mr. Benjamin Brook is currently here in the building somewhere?" 

 

The receptionist nodded, responding "Yes, Sir Brook is in today. Might you be Sir Sai Greenwood that he is expecting?"

 

"I am," Sai confirmed.

 

With that, the receptionist picked up his phone and called to someone, saying "Our visitor has arrived. Please escort him up to Sir Ben's office right away."

 

A minute later, a well-dressed woman emerged from the elevators and briskly waved Sai over to join her. As he stepped into the elevator with her, Sai's curiosity grew. He was rather surprised by the regard and familiarity everyone here seemed to treat his fighting partner Ben with. 

 

In Sai's mind, Ben had until now just been an insanely strong battle master who ran a small roadside food stand. But clearly Ben had a much greater presence and position here. Could that humble food vendor act really have been a front for something grander after all?

 

As the elevator zoomed up, the woman informed Sai "I'm taking you to Mr. Ben's executive office on level 12."

 

Executive office?! Now Sai was truly baffled. Could mighty warrior Ben actually be some corporate bigshot businessman in his regular civilian life? It was certainly an unexpected discovery.

 

They soon arrived at the 12th floor. Sai followed his escort down a lavishly decorated hallway until they halted before an imposing set of grandeur doors. The woman stepped up and neatly knocked. After a few seconds, a green light flickered on beside the door, signaling permission to enter.

 

She briefly popped her head in to announce Sai's arrival. Straightening up, the woman then prompted Sai himself, "Go right on inside, sir. Sir Ben is ready to receive you now." She gestured welcomingly towards the doors.

 

Sai nodded and moved past her to step inside the room as the woman held the doors open deferentially. She did not follow him in, instead letting the heavy doors swing slowly shut behind Sai with an air of finality, closing off the outside world.

 

Glancing around at the office space he had just entered, Sai was met with an elegantly furnished room emanating wealth and authority. Floor to ceiling windows made up the far wall, displaying a birds-eye panorama of the city below. The other walls were lined with full bookcases and a few tasteful paintings. An assortment of plush chairs and sofas were neatly arranged atop an ornate rug over hardwood floors. And towards the back center of the room was an enormous executive desk crafted from fine dark wood, with Ben himself seated commandingly behind it.

 

"Welcome, Sai! Make yourself comfortable," Ben greeted him jovially from his imposing high-backed leather boss chair. He seemed completely in his natural environment amidst all these trappings of extravagance and success.

 

As Sai slowly settled into one of the chairs facing Ben, he could not help gaping around once more in wonderment. This executive suite truly resembled the office of a powerful chairman overseeing his mighty corporate empire. Sai would never have pictured the Ben he first met as a street food vendor to possess all of THIS.

 

Chuckling knowingly at Sai's obvious astonishment, Ben waved a hand to gesture at their elite surroundings. "I take it you did not realize until now that I am the owner and CEO of the Daffodil Corporation. I built this company up from the ground to become the thriving multi-billion dollar enterprise it is today." Pride and satisfaction rang clearly in his tone.

 

"You really are in charge of all this?!" Sai exclaimed, still stunned at learning his mentor's prominent identity as a titan of industry. It turned everything he thought he knew about Ben on its head.

 

"But of course!" Ben laughed heartily. "Running my highly successful conglomerate here takes up much of my time. But I still make sure to set aside parts of each day for more...recreational pursuits." His grin turned wolfish. "Namely, honing my combat skills even further to unheard of levels, and seeking out worthy foes like yourself to test them against."

 

He shrugged nonchalantly. "I find mixing various facets of life provides balance and diversion."

 

Settling back smugly in his imposing leader's chair, Ben raised an eyebrow at Sai. "Of course, not EVERYONE can smoothly manage battling evil sorcerers hellbent on destruction one day, then acquiring new billion-dollar subsidiaries the next. But I pride myself on handling both with equal aplomb!"

 

Sai could only shake his head in amazement. This latest revelation added whole new dimensions to the enigma that was Ben Brook..

 

Still reeling a bit from the revelations about Ben's prestigious business leader alter ego, Sai's mind whirled with even more questions about his training partner. He decided to try getting some clarity on Ben's true nature and origins.  

 

"So what is the full extent of your powers then?" Sai asked plainly. "You've demonstrated freakish strength. But where does that superhuman energy actually come from?" (Author Note: Sai sensed Ben's energy to be immeasurable on multiple occasions.)

 

Grinning slyly, Ben leaned back in his plush leather executive chair and responded "I possess the power of the Shopkeeper."  

 

Sai just stared at him silently for a few seconds. Surely Ben was joking with a dramatic statement like that...? But no, his expression remained completely serious and sincere.

 

"Um, shopkeeper power?" Sai finally echoed in bewilderment. "What does that even mean?"

 

Nodding, Ben elaborated "You see, I have a specialized system called the Shopkeeper System. It is an exceptionally rare and mighty power."

 

Processing this new term, Sai questioned "A system, like my bleach ability? So you have one too then?" He knew some others in this world also operated under gaming-like systems that aided their development.

 

"Correct, my system facilitates my ongoing improvements," confirmed Ben. "And I assure you, the Shopkeeper System I wield is extraordinarily overpowered indeed!"

 

Leaning forwards intrigued, Sai asked "What makes your shopkeeping system so incredible? How does it work?" Learning about the origin of Ben's fearsome might could prove valuable.

 

Humoring Sai's curiosity, Ben launched into a detailed explanation. "At its foundation, my system centers around transactions - specifically, buying and selling goods. You see, in my original world called Nebula, I ran a small goods shop. I discovered that each time a customer purchased something from my shop, my system would award me with 1 System Point per bronze coin spent."

 

Pausing for effect, Ben smirked. "Bronze being the lowest currency denomination in Nebula. But still - I received automatic system points just from conducting regular business! Even small sales add up over time into major rewards."

 

Sai's eyes had grown huge as he listened. "That's insane! Just getting points for basic shopkeeping tasks?"

 

"Oh there is more!" Ben chuckled. "You see, those system points could then be exchanged for all manner of powerful skills, abilities, stat boosts, you name it! The more points earned, the more incredible the upgrades unlocked. So running my humble little store sooner rather than later snowballed into virtually limitless potential!"

 

His expression turned nostalgic. "I maxed out all my abilities and combat skills in no time. Eventually, I even transcended dimension limits back in Nebula to arrive in fantasy worlds like this one, seeking ever greater challenges." 

 

Refocusing on Sai, his eyes glinted. "And now here, I receive 1 system point for every 5 Jin coins profit! As you can surely understand then, operating by the Shopkeeper System guarantees exponential growth without bounds!"

 

Sai could only gape in stunned silence as he registered everything Ben described. It was no exaggeration to call this Shopkeeper System impossibly broken. Sai could scarcely fathom the implications of such hiking rewards from simple commerce. And he finally understood how Ben had amassed supreme godlike power with no peak in sight.

 

Finding his voice again, Sai stuttered "Y-you really have no limits then? That system will just keep infinitely boosting your abilities if you keep selling things? That's absurd!" 

 

Unable to restrain his awe, Sai shook his head. "I take back ever doubting how you reached such mammoth strength before. This cursed shopkeeper advantage basically ensures you cannot STOP getting stronger!"

 

Grinning smugly at Sai's overwhelmed reaction, Ben replied "I cannot claim ALL the credit - this power system functions automatically whether I exploit it or not. But yes, so long as I keep up business, my cultivation has no ceiling. Hence how I stand now as an invincible master across realms!"

 

He reclined arrogantly with hands laced behind his head. "So I continue occasionally running shops in worlds like this, as much for enjoyment as the bonuses. After all, more power is always welcome!" Winking roguishly, Ben added, "I dare say my shops here will soon put all other merchants out of business!"

 

Sai shook his head, borderline resentful that his mentor held access to such a broken unfair advantage. But he mostly just felt awed by resignation. At least now Sai fully understood Ben's source of outrageous overpowered abilities. This mystical Shopkeeper System seemed almost like the ultimate cheat code...

 

After thoroughly explaining the ludicrous overpowered nature of his Shopkeeper System, Ben stood decisively up from his plush leather executive chair. "Well then, now that you comprehend the source of my might, shall we commence today's training session?"

 

Sai quickly nodded in agreement and rose as well. Following Ben's lead, they strode towards a nondescript door located along one office wall. Halting before it, Ben announced, "Behind this door lies an alternate space pocket I created specifically for intense training bouts."

 

Having witnessed some of Ben's reality-bending space powers before, the existence of a separate training space did not surprise Sai terribly much. Still, he asked with interest "So this leads to a private dimensional realm you control then?"  

 

"Correct," confirmed Ben. "And as an additional benefit, time flows at a slower rate there compared to our regular timeline One hour spent here equates to a full day on the other side. Hence why it makes an ideal ground for rigorous cultivation that might normally take months or years."

 

Impressed by the amplified time differential, Sai gave a low whistle. "That is exceptionally convenient indeed. Ruling over space and time truly gives you unlimited advantages!" 

 

Chuckling in satisfaction, Ben responded "Perhaps so, but fabricating this specialized accelerated realm actually did not utilize my space or time abilities believe it or not. I have access to certain other...arcane powers let's say. Regardless, this pocket world serves our training needs perfectly!"

 

With that, Ben confidently approached the nondescript door, turned the handle, and swung it open smoothly. Instead of revealing another room, however, opening the door only presented pitch darkness, like staring into an empty void. No matter how hard Sai peered past the doorway, only endless shadows could be seen. It was akin to a magical portal doorway from fantasy stories - an obscured window bridging their current reality to a completely separate dimension.

 

Just as Sai was wondering whether he should step straight into that eerie blackness, Ben suddenly vanished right through the doorway. One second he was there, the next gone - with the door still standing mysteriously open.

 

Sai stood before the doorway, its surface now eerily still. Unlike the fantastical Anywhere Door of Doraemon lore, this portal offered no glimpse of the world beyond, only an impenetrable veil of darkness. Yet, the hum emanating from within held a hypnotic allure, whispering of untold possibilities. Muttering under his breath "Well no turning back now I suppose..." Bracing himself, reminded of Ben's promise that an intense training space waited just on the other side, Sai marched resolutely toward the dark portal.  

 

Crossing the threshold felt like piercing an invisible barrier - reality itself shifted, perspectives skewing. Then Sai found himself standing in an entirely alien realm. Glancing about, he took in the new landscape.  

 

Rolling vibrant green hills surrounded him underneath a sunny blue sky. The pleasant scenery stretched far into the distance with no civilization in sight. To Sai's left were endless grassy meadows eventually meeting tree dotted mountains on the horizon. While to his right, a hugely wide river meandered lazily through more hills. And directly ahead past Ben's imposing figure, a dense forest blanketed the terrain.

 

"Welcome Onii San, to your new home away from home!" Ben spread his arms out grandly. "Here we shall have all the room, time, and privacy needed to advance your skills monumentally. Now, where shall we start first? Perhaps target practice honing long range attacks out in those open meadows?"

 

Still awed by this fantastical training haven Ben had somehow manifested, Sai slowly turned in place taking it all in. He could immediately envision countless fighting and cultivation activities suited to the varied terrain. Remote and secluded, this realm certainly offered the perfect personalized workspace to exponentially strengthen himself. 

 

Eagerness rising within him, Sai refocused on his waiting teacher with blazing eyes. "I don't care where our training begins, I'm just ready to grow stronger!" He struck a battle-ready pose. "Now come at me with everything you've got, Mr. Ben! I can take it!"

 

Laughing approvingly at his student's burning determination, Ben grinned "Now THAT is the right attitude! Very well my brother, prepare yourself - because I won't be holding anything back!" 

 

His smile gained a savage edge as his overwhelming aura began manifesting, sending tremors through the ground and darkening the vibrant landscape. "Hope you survive the experience..."

 

Gulping nervously as embodiments of Ben's monstrous power emerged around them, Sai steeled his nerves. This would surely test his limits as never before! But he HAD asked Ben not to hold back. Now Sai could only steel himself and pray his body and mind somehow endured the impending epic battle...

5