Pilot (1)
198 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ambient hum of conversations, filled with excitement and expectation, reverberated throughout the spacious interior of the school bus. 

 

Giggles and the soft rustle of papers mingled with the distant hum of the bus's engine.

 

"Hey! Hey! Cody!" The voice sliced through the comfortable drone of voices. 

 

The call was insistent and full of vigor, drawing the attention of our main protagonist, Cody.

 

Slowly pulling the earbuds from his ears, which had been transporting him to a world of his own, Cody shifted his gaze. 

 

"Yes?" His voice was inquisitive, his eyes searching for the caller. And there he was – Aryton, known throughout the class as the resident clown. His loyalty as a friend, however, was unquestionable.

 

Aryton's fiery red hair danced to an invisible tune as he energetically yanked down the bus window. 

 

The sudden whoosh of fresh air brought with it the scents of the world outside, washing over Aryton’s flushed face. He turned, his green eyes locking onto Cody's.

 

 "Do we know when we'll get there?"

 

Cody shrugged, a look of uncertainty on his face. Without hesitation, he nudged the girl seated beside him. It was Aya, his sister, her tresses of brown hair swaying due to the sudden gust from the window. 

 

Pulling out her earbuds, she turned her hazel eyes, identical to Cody's, towards Aryton.

 

 There was a glint of mischief and annoyance in them. "Open that window again, and I’ll punch you." 

 

She threatened, her voice a blend of frost and casualness. With that, she disappeared back into her own world, music flooding her ears.

 

Aryton offered a sheepish grin, glancing between the window and Aya. He tried pushing the window back up, but it seemed to defy him at every attempt.

 

Cody, suppressing a grin, turned his attention to the front of the bus, where Mr. Peterson, their ever-watchful class teacher, sat. 

 

"May I sit with Aryton for a bit?" He inquired. The elder man glanced over, a small smile playing on his lips.

 

 "Go ahead," he replied, "but brace yourself, we're about to hit some rough patches."

 

With a nod of acknowledgment, Cody rose gracefully, moving down the narrow aisle to Aryton's side.

 

 His jet-black hair, streaked with playful hints of purple, stood out against his light skin, and his hazel eyes sparkled with mirth. 

 

Effortlessly, he pushed the stubborn window back into place and clapped a reassuring hand on Aryton's shoulder. "Ever been camping before?" Cody queried.

 

A shake of Aryton's head was all the reply he got. "Well, today's a day for firsts," Cody declared with a grin, turning his attention to the other occupants of the bus.

 

"Cody," a hushed voice beckoned from across the aisle. 

 

It was Rose, her hair an unusual yet mesmerizing shade of pink that matched her eyes. The known best friend of Cody, her eyes twinkled in amusement. "Hungry?"

 

He responded with a silent, appreciative nod. Digging into her bag, Rose produced a chocolate bar, passing it to Cody with a smirk. "For the window incident," she teased, sending a playful glare Aryton's way.

 

Aryton just rolled his eyes, feigning indifference. "Whatever," he mumbled, turning his attention back to the world outside the window, the scenery whizzing by.

 

The school bus ambled along a serpentine road that carved its path through an enchanting forest. 

 

Majestic trees stood tall on either side, their leaves rustling and whispering secrets to one another. 

 

With each passing tree, the outside world seemed to meld into a continuous flow of nature's beauty, only broken by the sudden jolt of the bus navigating a minor bump. The brief turbulence momentarily snapped Cody from his daydreams.

 

As Cody's gaze swept across the bus, it settled on two distinctive figures deeply engrossed in a conversation.

 

 They didn't quite fit the mold of a regular human. Instead, they bore an exotic blend of human and animal features, which gave them a captivating presence. These unique individuals were known as 'demis,' an intriguing fusion of human and animal attributes.

 

Bandy and Spike, the duo in question, were unmistakably dog demis. 

 

While Spike bore the soft, golden hues reminiscent of a golden retriever, Bandy was a tad more enigmatic. Jet-black dog ears perched atop his head, matched by an equally dark snout. 

 

The one thing they both concealed were their tails, artfully hidden beneath their clothing.

 

Memories flooded back to Cody, of the time these two had come to the aid of him and his friends, shielding them from bullies. With a warm smile playing on his lips, he ambled over and took a seat beside them.

 

“Hey, Bandy. Hey, Spike. Everything alright?” Cody inquired, genuine concern in his voice.

 

Spike turned to Cody, his golden eyes reflecting sheer warmth. "We're doing fine. Thanks for asking."

 

Bandy extended a hand to Cody, his cerulean eyes steady. "Good seeing you here," he greeted. Suddenly, Spike's nose twitched, detecting something. "Is that... chocolate?" he queried.

 

Chuckling, Cody retorted, "Indeed it is, but it's not for you. Chocolate's deadly for dogs!" He added the latter part teasingly.

 

The conversation soon shifted to another solitary figure in the bus.

 

 “How's Knox holding up?” Spike asked, tilting his head towards the back, where a unique demi sat isolated. This individual, with stark white hair and piercing red eyes, stood out with his wolf ears. 

 

Yet, unlike Bandy and Spike, he lacked a snout. Beside him sat Hayden, bearing similar features but conspicuously human.

 

“Haven’t spoken to him yet, but I will,” Cody reassured, receiving nods of gratitude in return.

 

A mischievous grin appeared on Spike’s face. "Thanks for teaching that bully Michael a lesson. He had it coming."

 

With a modest laugh, Cody replied, "Dad trained me well. If you guys ever need help, you know where to find me." As he finished, he gave them both a friendly pat, then made his way over to the brothers.

 

"Hey, Hayden," Cody began, a firm note in his voice. Softening considerably, he addressed the quieter sibling, “Knox, how are you holding up?”

 

Knox met Cody's gaze, a ghost of a smile on his lips. "I'm doing alright, Cody. But what about you? It feels like no one ever checks on you."

 

With a self-assured pat on his chest, Cody grinned, “I’m always good, Knox. Trust me."

 

Knox studied Cody's eyes for a fleeting moment, finally nodding. "I'm glad to hear that."

 

As Cody rose to return to his seat, Hayden merely observed him, his thoughts kept securely hidden. 

 

Weary from his interactions, Cody whispered to Aya, "I’ll check up on the others later. Need a breather." Aya, lost in her music, acknowledged with a subtle nod.

 

3