Pilot (5)
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the cafeteria door creaked open, Hayden and Knox, the two somewhat enigmatic brothers, made their entrance. 

 

Their presence was immediately felt in the dining space, their stark personalities drawing a vivid contrast. Hayden, with his seemingly aloof aura, led the way, while Knox, with a gentler demeanor, followed closely behind.

 

Cody's gaze instinctively drifted toward the brothers. 

 

Noticing Knox's fleeting moments of longing for interaction, Cody raised his hand and beckoned warmly, "Hey Knox, wanna sit with us, buddy?" His face beamed with an inviting smile, hoping to bridge the subtle divide.

 

Knox's face lit up momentarily, touched by the gesture. But a glance at his elder brother, whose face remained inscrutable, made him falter.

 

 After a brief internal struggle, he offered Cody an apologetic shake of his head before joining Hayden at a separate table.

 

Aryton, observing the interaction, shared Cody's sentiment. 

 

"His brother has him on a tight leash," he murmured. Rose, ever the peacemaker, offered a softer perspective, "Perhaps Knox just wants to be with his brother."

 

Contemplating her words, Cody nodded.

 

 "You might be right. But Hayden's... standoffish reputation shouldn't be a barrier for Knox. Knox is such a warm-hearted soul. He should feel welcome to sit with us anytime." Cody mused aloud, his eyes following the brothers as they engaged in quiet conversation over their meal.

 

Spike, looking up from his plate, chimed in, "At least they have each other's back." His voice was tinged with understanding, reminding everyone of the bond that siblings shared. 

 

Finishing his meal with a satisfied exhale, Cody added, "You're right. That's something."

 

Lilly, clutching her pleasantly full belly, released a contented sigh. "I can't eat another bite! I'm heading to the bathrooms." She announced, stretching her limbs, the lingering aftertaste of a sumptuous meal still present.

 

Rose, ever considerate, offered, "Want me to walk you there?" But Lilly, with a wave of her hand, dismissed the concern, "No need, it's just a short three-minute walk." She carefully placed her tray on the counter, exchanging pleasantries with the amiable cafeteria staff, before making her way out.

 

Under the canopy of a night sprinkled with countless stars, Lilly walked with a sense of unease, her footsteps soft on the trodden path. 

 

The city's dark smoke, still visible on the horizon, evoked an eerie reminder of the chaos that reigned afar. "Is it still ongoing?" she whispered, the heaviness of the situation weighing down on her.

 

The faint, warm glow of the campfire created an almost surreal ambiance, painting silhouettes against the night.

 

 Lilly's footsteps were quiet and measured, the subtle sounds of the woods accompanying her. As she approached the restroom area, her gaze instinctively shifted upwards, finding solace in the celestial blanket above. 

 

"Such beautiful stars amidst all this chaos," she mused aloud, her voice but a soft murmur in the still night.

 

But her brief moment of serenity was shattered by an unexpected sound: the snap of a twig. 

 

Every sense heightened, she strained her eyes, scanning the bordering woods for any sign of movement. An internal monologue played in her mind, attempting to calm her racing heart. "It's just an animal. Nothing more."

 

However, this comfort was short-lived. A low, guttural growl sliced through the silence, causing her to instinctively pivot to her left. 

 

Emerging from the shadows, an ominous figure staggered into the weak luminescence of the restroom's exterior light. 

 

As the light gradually revealed the entity's grotesque features – a dangling eye, torn flesh from the cheek, and a chilling bite mark on the neck – horror consumed Lilly.

 

She barely had time to react when a vice-like grip seized her arm, drawing her into the grotesque maw of the figure. 

 

A piercing scream tore through the night as teeth sunk into her flesh, tearing a chunk away. Blood stained her clothes as she staggered back, her face awash with tears. Two more silhouettes, equally nightmarish, started to close in on her.

 

The desperate cries for help pierced the relative calm of the camp. Cody and Aryton, reacting instantly, bolted from their positions. 

 

The sight that greeted them froze their blood: Lilly, her arm mangled and bleeding, with three horrifying figures in relentless pursuit. "THEY BIT ME!" she wailed, her wound a vivid testament to the danger.

 

The camp's staff, including Mr. Peterson, Bob, and Ed, scrambled into action. Bob, with urgency in his voice, directed Ed, "THE MED KIT! My office!" Ed, understanding the gravity, darted away.

 

 Mr. Peterson, his protective instincts kicking in, armed himself with a nearby paddle. As the horrific assailants moved closer, illuminated by the camp's lights, their mutilated appearances became evident.

 

"Get behind me!" Mr. Peterson shouted, taking a stand between the children and the monstrous trio. 

 

Despite his brave front and fierce blows that felled one of them, they continued their relentless advance. "What on earth are you on?" He bellowed, mistakenly attributing their inhuman tenacity to some form of narcotic influence.

 

Ed's return couldn't have been timelier. In addition to the med kit, he presented Bob with a rifle.

 

 "Lilly, come!" he called, beckoning the injured girl. As she stumbled over, Ed quickly began tending to her, while Mr. Peterson was left confronting another of the grotesque beings, their black blood contrasting with the moonlit night.

 

Under the enveloping canopy of darkness, Bob's stance tightened, rifle at the ready. 

 

The cold steel of the weapon seemed to merge with his steely resolve as he took aim and released a round, watching as it made its mark in the abdomen of the approaching figure. 

 

To Bob's disbelief, instead of the typical reaction, the entity merely stumbled backward and unleashed an eerie, guttural snarl, continuing its relentless approach. 

 

“What on earth?!” Bob's voice echoed his shock.

 

Beside him, Cody's eyes widened in sheer terror, every heartbeat thundering in his ears. 

 

Aryton, acting on adrenaline, lunged at another one of the figures, using all his might to push it away from their group. 

 

The unmistakable sound of a gunshot cut through the night, drawing attention from all corners of the camp. 

 

Rose, driven by the cacophony and her concern, rushed to the scene, her eyes widening at the chaos that unfolded before her.

 

Regaining his composure, Bob expertly reloaded his rifle, this time taking aim at the head of one of the menacing figures. 

 

The shot rang out, and with a definitive thud, the creature fell lifeless to the ground. Mr. Peterson, quickly connecting the dots, used the sturdiest part of his paddle, smashing it into the skull of another, the grotesque crunch echoing the demise of the fiend.

 

However, the danger was far from over. One of the ghoulish beings lunged at Mr. Peterson, overpowering him and forcing him to the ground. 

 

The sight filled Cody with dread, his mind racing to find a weapon or any form of defense. In the midst of the turmoil, Hayden appeared, his expression one of disbelief and horror at the scene before him.

 

Bob tried to take aim again, but the chaotic writhing of Mr. Peterson and his attacker made it impossible to get a clean shot. 

 

"I CAN'T GET A GOOD SHOT!" His voice was strained, filled with frustration.

 

Suddenly, from the periphery, another one of the creatures appeared, cornering Cody and pinning him against a wall. 

 

Desperation was evident in Cody's eyes, every breath coming ragged as the monster's grotesque face inched closer. “CODY!” Aryton's voice was a heart-wrenching scream. 

 

Desperation mounted as Spike and Bandy tried to intervene, but the creature's brute strength defied their efforts. Bob, seizing an opportunity, shot another creature, drawing its attention away from the pinned Mr. Peterson.

 

With sheer determination, Hayden, taking note of their weak point, lunged at the creature menacing Cody. He wielded a concealed pocket knife, driving it into the back of the creature's neck. But to his horror, it showed no sign of stopping. 

 

The creature's snapping jaws were inches away from Cody's vulnerable neck when Aya, driven by a fierce protective rage, landed a solid kick, toppling the creature. 

 

"DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HIM!" she bellowed, her voice raw with emotion. With a lioness-like ferocity, she wrestled with the monster, raining blows upon it, but it seemed undeterred, snapping its jaws dangerously close.

 

Finally, Hayden, with resolute determination, took matters into his own hands. 

 

He delivered a series of powerful stomps to the creature's head, each one echoing the gravity of their situation. It was only after several blows that the creature finally lay still.

 

Breathing heavily, with the immediate threat neutralized, they looked around, the grim aftermath all too clear. "What the hell just happened?" Bob's voice wavered, the reality of their nightmarish situation starting to sink in.

1