Steep Choices (1)
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilly's world seemed to blur and distort as she tried to gather her strength amidst the echo of her own coughs, which only served to amplify her vulnerability.

 

 The crimson stains on her hands trembled with every heartbeat, a stark reminder of her harrowing predicament. 

 

With the resolve to act against the silence that enveloped the bus, she carefully pushed herself to her feet, her bandages now soaked in the scarlet evidence of her affliction. 

 

The oppressive stillness of the bus gnawed at her, driving her further into the throes of unease.

 

Her steps, though faltering, led her to the driver's seat. Her trembling hands found the ignition keys left behind by Ed, and the bus roared to life. 

 

The hum of the engine was a stark contrast to the unsettling tranquility that had enveloped the bus.

 

Lilly's desperation compelled her to fiddle with the radio, hoping for some connection to a world that was fast unraveling.

 

 Amidst the static, she stumbled upon a broadcast, a voice of authority issuing a dire and urgent warning.

 

"Warning. This is a nationwide broadcast. This is not a test," the voice declared in chilling clarity.

 

 "Do not leave your homes, do not leave your families, stay together. If you come across an infected, do not approach. If someone is bitten, do not go near."

 

The voice paused, and the shuffle of paper faintly echoed before resuming. 

 

"They will become one of them," it warned before abruptly ending. A resounding shock reverberated within Lilly's ears, leaving her dazed and overwhelmed.

 

In that moment, her mind was a chaotic storm, flashes of the nightmarish creature that had bitten her filled her vision. 

 

She could vividly recall the creature's teeth sinking into her arm, the rending of flesh, and her agonizing cries. Then, her thoughts raced to the horrifying realization that she could turn into one of those monstrous beings.

 

The gruesome image of her transformation haunted her, her mind playing tricks on her with visions of blood-drenched creatures that looked just like her, their menacing growls and snarls echoing in her ears, accompanied by the cacophony of blood-curdling screams.

 

Tears welled up in Lilly's eyes as she gazed into the city beyond. The burden of her own potential transformation weighed heavily upon her, and she struggled to cope with the fear and despair that gripped her. 

 

"I can't turn," she whispered, the very thought paralyzing her.

 

With trembling hands, she hesitated to take a drastic step. She raised her pocket knife toward her own throat, a desperate attempt to prevent the unthinkable. 

 

Her breath hitched, and tears streamed down her face as she grappled with the terrifying decision.

 

But Lilly couldn't bring herself to carry out the desperate act. She let the knife drop from her hand and leaned her head against the bus seat, her sobs echoing in the stillness of the vehicle.

 

 "I can't do it," she cried, the anguish within her building to a deafening crescendo.

 

The relentless ringing in her ears grew louder, and the visions of her impending transformation intensified. 

 

The pain was almost unbearable, and her own family seemed like distant memories now, consumed by the same fate that threatened to engulf her. She knew what she had to do.

 

With a heavy heart, she opened the bus door and switched off the engine, keeping the keys close. 

 

She moved to the front, her trembling hands gripping the pocket knife, and settled on the steps, her breath coming in ragged gasps.

 

 As she clenched the knife, she knew she couldn't bear to become a threat to her friends or anyone else.

 

Desperation and resolve intertwined as she cut a piece of her pants and placed it in her mouth to stifle any screams that might escape as she contemplated the horrific possibility that now loomed before her.

Lilly's trembling hand clutched the pocket knife as she uttered an anguished apology to herself, a muffled whisper barely escaping her lips. 

 

The room was enveloped in eerie silence, shattered only by the chilling echo of the blade making contact with her own flesh. A muffled scream followed, a stark testimony to the agony she bore.

 

Swift as the wind, Cody dashed out, a crowbar held aloft like a warrior's banner, and Ed followed suit, brandishing a gleaming machete, a glint of determination in his eyes. Spike and Bandy materialized in an instant, their menacing claws extended.

 

Rose, clutching a baseball bat with white-knuckled determination, and Knox, gripping his knife with unwavering resolve, emerged in step with the rest. 

 

They formed a united front, a group of young individuals ready to confront the peril that threatened their friends.

 

Their defiant presence provoked an immediate response from the soldiers, their guns trained on the young, unyielding faces before them. 

 

One of the soldiers spoke incredulously, "You guys are just kids..."

 

Cody's eyes bore into the soldiers, unflinching and unwavering. 

 

"Yeah. The kids you want to kill. I saw what you guys did out there on the road," he declared, a righteous fury burning within him.

 

"It was orders! We got it when we were trying to save survivors," one of the soldiers boomed, their justification tinged with desperation.

 

Hayden's voice was a low, menacing growl as he clenched the knife tightly, his resolve unwavering. 

 

"The world's falling, who cares about orders," he retorted, unwilling to accept the callousness that had taken hold of the world.

 

Mr. Peterson held the gun steady, an unwavering sentinel between life and death. 

 

"No one else needs to die today," he implored, his voice carrying the weight of his convictions.

 

The soldiers, however, seemed calloused by the grim reality that had taken hold.

 

 "Plenty of people have died today. It wouldn't matter-" one soldier started, but Aya's voice interrupted the grim discourse. 

 

Tears welled up in her eyes as she stepped forward and declared with unwavering empathy, "It matters!"

 

She cast a heartfelt glance at the terror-stricken family—mother, father, and two children—cowering beneath the barrel of the soldiers' guns.

 

 "They need to survive," she pleaded, an earnest plea that echoed in the silent street.

 

One of the soldiers, a cynical smile curling on their lips, scoffed. 

 

"No one has to survive this mess. It's painful and horrible." But their cruel resolve was shattered in an instant.

 

A volley of shots erupted, the gunfire ringing out like a dreadful symphony of death.

 

 Cody's eyes widened as he bore witness to the cold-blooded execution, the family's bodies crumpling to the unforgiving pavement.

 

Hayden had been on the cusp of taking decisive action, his knife poised to slit the soldier's throat. 

 

But the soldier proved cunning and fierce, elbowing him in the gut, causing him to recoil with a painful grunt as he fell.

 

Unwavering in the face of death's specter, Mr. Peterson aimed his gun, and it barked to life. 

 

A bullet found its mark in a soldier's head, and the world witnessed the merciless agent of death crumple, life extinguished.

 

1