Beginning Of The End – Part 039
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After eating I checked up on Compton who looked bored out of his mind as he watched the streets of London from above. Despite his bored look, he was diligently surveying the ground for suspicious characters. Merlin was already inside the abbey so Silva had Lily flying around while Silva looked around on the ground.

“So how’s it going?” I asked Compton.

“Boring. I had a lot more fun writing reports and doing paperwork.” Compton said with an unamused face.

“Really? That bad huh?” I replied.

“Yep. what exactly do you plan on doing?” Compton asked.

“I was actually pretty curious as to what Merlin was doing. Perhaps, I should go take a look.” I said.

“Go right ahead. Though I suggest you stay away from the north side of the Abbey. Silva’s watching it like a hawk.” Compton replied.

“Thanks for the heads up.” I replied before walking through the portal. Appearing out of the pendant right below Lily who just happened to be flying above a building I fell to the roof of the building with a loud thud that caused Lily to freaked out.

“What are you doing? At least give me some warning before you appear out of nowhere.” Lily said before flying down to me. The only thing I could do though was groan as I laid on the rooftop.

“Just give me a second.” I replied.

“A second to do what?” Lily asked with a confused expression.

As she said this I shut my eyes and focused on the Abbey which was less than a block away. Disappearing from where I was when I opened my eyes I was inside the western tower within the Abbey. Going downstairs I could hear voices. Most of them were not voices I recognized. However, one stuck out to me more than any. Merlin was among those speaking below with several monks.

One of the monks had led Merlin to the alter which had an object covered in red cloth setting on it. The monks backed away as Merlin removed the cloth and examined the item. From where I was I was just able to make out what the item was. A flat stone tablet around thirty centimeters wide and tall etched with various engravings. Although, I couldn’t make out what was engraved on it due to how far away I was.

“Do you know what this is, Sir?” one of the monks asked.

“I do. I assure you that no human tool you possess could ever decipher what is on this. However, to someone like myself, it is easy to read.” Merlin boasted as he looked over the stone.

“Then what exactly is it?” the other monk asked.

“Before I answer, may I ask a question?” Merlin asked.

“Of course.” the monk replied eagerly.

“Where exactly did you find this?” Merlin asked.

“It was found inside an unmarked grave that someone had attempted to break into under the Abbey.” the monk replied.

“Unmarked?”

“Well, by unmarked he means that the name engraving had been broken off. We have no idea whose grave it was.” the other monk explained.

“I see. Now, this is a stone that contains a piece of a ritual used to summon gods.” Merlin explained.

“Heresy! There is but one God!” one of the monks interrupted.

“True that these aren’t the type of gods that you would worship. However, they have been worshipped in the past and some are still worshipped to this day. They are like me. Immortal, powerful, and summoned rather than born.” Merlin replied.

“You dare put yourself in the same field as the true God? You are most definitely a heretic!” The monk continued as the other monks tried to get him to shut his mouth.

Merlin shook his head in disappointment. It didn’t matter whether he told them the truth or not. They wouldn’t believe him, let alone listen. “So what shall I do to get you to understand what I say? Shall I call forth an army? Or would you rather I turn this cathedral into an iron maiden?” Merlin asked with a threatening tone.

“This is the house of God so I doubt your demons have any power here!” the monk continued before being dragged away by one of the other monks.

“I do apologize. He should not act in such a way. Would you mind taking this item off our hands? I feel that it will be much safer in the hands of those who are used to this kind of thing.” The last of the monks asked with an apologetic tone.

“Of course. I would be happy to.” Merlin replied before wrapping the stone back up in the cloth and carrying it under his arm.

1