Beginnings – Part Seven
421 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was quiet for a while, too long really. Iscariot and I could tell that Scott was contemplating things and neither of us was going to interrupt. I thought about asking Iscariot if he was up for a game while we waited but that didn’t sound very mature and I didn’t want to make a fool of myself in front of a sorcerer and a monster hunter. The good news was that Scott finally spoke before I had the chance to make a fool of myself. 

“Iscariot, what have you learned from him?” Scott asked.

Iscariot turned from me to him before saying. “Not much. He has a watch that works far differently than anything I have ever seen that was magical or normal. Also, his knowledge of machines from the future is rather small as he can’t tell me how to recreate them but his basic knowledge surpasses that of common scholars of today.”

“So he’s a bloody genius here but in the future, he’s an idiot?” Scott asked in a rhetorical tone.

“Hey, I’m right here.” I protested.

“And I couldn’t care less.” Scott replied with more sass than a mom after their child talks back.

“Yes, you could say he is a genius to us because of his future knowledge although that doesn’t matter. The fact that he is from the future in itself is a danger to the universe. He could accidentally alter the timeline without us knowing that it was even altered.” Iscariot said to try and get the conversation back on track.

“Then he needs to be quarantined until he dies, is what you’re saying?” Scott asked.

“I don’t wish to be quarantined.” I interrupted.

“You don’t have to go that far. He is dangerous as an existence but nothing happens without reason. I believe it would be more beneficial to have him join the Table and shadow you until we can figure out who or what caused him to go to this time period.” Iscariot said. Scott looked like he was about to say something but then he stopped before finally speaking.

“Well, I was already planning on taking him on as an apprentice. I want him to join the Table, but I want to send him to the Table for his training. I already know that I would be an awful teacher.” Scott finally said. I was starting to think that his slower reaction time was due to him being drunk.

“You do realize if you don’t train your own apprentice soon, the Table heads are going to force one on you. Your father-in-law can only bail you out for so long. ” Iscariot replied.

“Don’t talk about that, please... I get it, I will contact the Table about registering him as my apprentice. But he needs to stay here until then.” Scott said, finally giving in.

“That’s fine. You know time is altered in this room.” Iscariot said.

“What are you talking about?” I asked not because of the Table discussion but because of the comment about the room I was currently in. 

“This room was created in a synthetic dimensional space where time is far slower than the outside. Just since we started this conversation which has only lasted a moment an hour has passed outside. It also cannot be opened except from the inside or by using a magic key. Which is why this is the safest place on earth.” Iscariot answered. I was unsure of how to react to the bomb that was released from Iscariot's mouth, it was something that seemed impossible except to the imagination of theoretical physicists.

“If you think that’s amazing Iscariot should tell you the story of why his voice is that of an old man who somehow hasn’t reached puberty.” Scott said with a chuckle.

“I don’t think I want to tell him that story for my own pride's sake.” Iscariot replied sheepishly.

“Well, now I want to hear it.” I said hoping to coerce Iscariot.

“Yeah, tell the twat your bloody hilarious story.” Scott said, encouraging him more.

Iscariot sighed. “Fine, I was messing around with an alchemical experiment and caused an explosion that sent my family jewels into my stomach permanently. This gave me a very high-pitched squeaky voice and the older I get the more insane I sound.” He said with an almost reminiscent tone.

“But you are insane so it’s more like a warning siren.” Scott said jokingly.

I did everything I could to not chuckle so instead I just acted concerned. “Remind me to never mess with magic.” I said with a pained look of warning. 

“Oh, I wasn’t using magic. I was experimenting with gunpowder.” Iscariot corrected. Well, now I think he might just be more idiotic than he is letting on or maybe he’s just eccentric as Scott said. 

“With that, I will take my leave. I leave the future twat in your hands, Iscariot. I will return with news from the Table.” Scott said adjusting his coat and then unlocking the many locks on the door. Once he had left it was just me and Iscariot in an uncomfortable silence yet again.

“Want to play chess?” He asked to finally break the silence. Apparently, when I was wanting to ask if he wanted to play a game he was thinking the same thing. Wait, if he's thinking the same thing I am and he’s insane what does that say about me?

17