Beginnings – Part Eight
456 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nearly four hours had passed since Scott left. Three of which included an impromptu lesson on how to use a magical chess set. It’s pretty much the same as regular chess except the pieces can be moved by your mind. Of course, this also came with an explanation of how magic worked. How Iscariot explained it was that magic and science share one commonality.

They have a mathematical formula explaining their existence. For example: if fuel is equal to F, the air is equal to A, and Ignition is equal to I then (F+A)*I=Fire. The only difference between the two is that the fuel used by magic is plasma energy that flows through all living things while in science the fuel can be practically anything. By imagining the formula and focusing my energy on an item or certain area I can create or control what the formula allows.

Although there are many tools like the chess pieces that have the formulas inscribed into them that make it so that you don’t have to imagine the formulas. These are usually wands or staffs though that can be used to cast spells. Of course, Iscariot explained that magic items are single-use tools so they can only have one purpose.  That and these items can only be used by someone who has fused their life with the item. In other words, they have to rub some blood on the item in order for it to become theirs. I had to rub some of my own blood on the bottom of each chess piece before I could use it and controlling a specific piece with my mind is harder than I originally thought. 

I tried moving a rook and instead I flung the knight across the room. What's worse is the chess pieces cannot be moved from the chessboard without magic. The chessboard itself was a magic item that was imbued with energy already, kind of like a magic battery. Honestly, I think he was trying to gauge my magic power like at the beginning of a video game the only difference was I couldn’t control shit unlike every main character ever. 

I asked Iscariot if Scott used magic and he said that Scott hated magic, not because of religious reasons or anything but because he couldn’t imagine the formulas. Also, he refused to use any magic tools because he thought they were a cheater's tools. He did seem to not be telling me everything about that but I didn’t think it was wise to ask what it was. Eventually, I got the hang of it and was able to play the game. Though I lost due to being so focused on moving the pieces rather than the game itself. During the game though I had a thought. 

“Hey Iscariot, if I’m going to be hunting monsters shouldn’t I have a weapon.” I asked as it was something that would probably be necessary. 

“Yes, but I am not going to give you one. That’s Mr.Langston’s job.” Iscariot replied.

“I understand but once I have a weapon could you place a magic formula similar to that of the chess pieces on it for me.” I asked.

Iscariot arched his brow at this, then smiled. “I’m interested in your train of thought. I will do that for you but only if you can learn to control this chess piece.” he said pointing at the queen. So I spent the rest of the time trying to make the chess piece float around and fly through the air with decent control. I had figured out how to move pieces around so that wasn’t the issue. He was trying to gauge my control which I didn’t have much of.

I did end up controlling the piece fairly well but only after nearly shitting myself just trying to magically move the damn thing. Iscariot told me after that I didn’t need to strain myself and that it was the mental focus, not muscle focus. I think the training would have gone a lot smoother had my teacher not sounded like a helium inhaling crackhead grinding his teeth on a chalkboard. I had to stop myself from laughing multiple times making me lose my focus.

We were in the middle of learning how to make the chess piece spin like a saw blade when Scott finally knocked at the door and gave his password. I moved the chess piece back to the board while Iscaral started unlocking the door. Once Iscariot opened the door, Scott stood there looking more disheveled than before. This time, there was another smell coming off him too. It almost smelled like stale vomit. Neither of us knew what to think. 

“What happened to you?” We both asked.

“I rode the train to Warwick in order to speak with the European leader of the Table about you. But I couldn’t sleep on the train, even on the way back. I haven’t slept in three days.” Scott said before sitting on the cot, pulling out his flask, and taking a swig.

“Oh, that’s rather unfortunate.” Iscariot replied compassionately but it only sounded sarcastic.

“Wait, it’s been three days? But it’s only been a few hours here.” I said but they both looked at me with a look of dumbfoundedness.

“Did you forget that this room is in another dimension where time is slower or did Iscariot hit you in the head?” Scott asked as if I were an idiot.

“I did no such thing, although I did consider it.” Iscariot refuted in a way that made me warier of his presence whilst alone with him.

“Anyways here’s a silver knife.” Scott said handing me a hunting-style knife in a leather sheath. 

“Thank you.” I replied as I looked it over.

“You can get a different weapon once I decide your training is far enough along or I decide to fully trust you.” Scott said, stating his expectations. 

I was fine with that because I could now have Iscariot hold up his end of our deal. Thus I handed it to him and he, knowing what I wanted him to do started carving on the handle. I think Scott saw this but did nothing to stop it probably because he was too tired to care. Within a minute Iscariot had already inscribed the formula on the hilt and started to hand it to me, pausing for a moment right before.

“Grit your teeth.” he said in a monotone voice.

“What?” I started to ask before he stabbed my hand with his carving tool and placed the knife handle in it. This stained the handle a dark crimson but I was in far too much pain from being stabbed to care at the moment. All I could do was let out a pained yell.

“Why would you do that, you prick?” I asked in a panicked tone.

“I gave you plenty of warning.” he said, obviously not sorry about it. What annoyed me more was that Scott was chuckling at my pain. Now I think that he may not have stopped Iscariot because he knew that was going to happen. That bastard!

“Alright, Iscariot, I thank you for taking care of the kid for a while. We’re going to head to my flat for the rest of the day so I can sleep and then I will begin his training.” Scott said with a yawn. 

“You’re welcome and please don’t bother me for about a week, I would like to sleep for at least a few hours before you come knocking at my door again.” Iscarat asked with an equally tired but slightly more energetic tone.

“That’s fine with me, and do you have any of those magic keys you can give the kid so he can find your room if he needs to?” Scott replied.

“Of course, here you are.” Iscariot said, handing me a ring from his pocket. “This is the key to my room. You will not be able to open the door but I will know that it’s you, the Witch, or Scott at the door.” Iscarat said, explaining it to me as if I didn’t just hear his conversation.

“Thanks” I replied. Wait, What did he say about a witch? Is it the same witch Scott said he knew?

17