Beginnings – Part Fifteen
314 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I looked around at Elysif’s home I saw that it was a mix of clean and messy. The area we were in was as pristine as any hospital and it even had that rubbing alcohol smell but in the corner was a large stack of files, books, and random papers. Other than us and the operating table there was a lone desk, a counter covered in surgical tools, and another counter covered in herbs and spices for her medicines. Much of the dining room sat vacant other than a table and various dirty pots and pans. As for her bedroom, I didn't know. The door was closed and did not have any reason to check inside. Then there was the living room which wasn’t that bad, in fact, it looked to be rather homey.

Elysif sat at her desk with a mostly bored face, or she was deep in thought, I wasn’t sure but she looked as if she was staring off into space for no real reason. I was about to ask her about witches when she turned towards me with a smile. Despite my more recent opinions of her, she wasn’t bad at all. In fact, she seemed to be a regular girl who happened to be a magic doctor. 

“Would you like some tea?” she asked.

“Yes, please. If you need any help with anything, tell me because I am rather bored.” I replied eagerly as I was parched but too nervous to ask.

“As am I. I wouldn’t be making tea otherwise.” she replied in a snarky tone.

“You don’t fancy tea?” I asked questionably, as most British “people” enjoy the drink it was odd to meet one who didn’t.

“I enjoy it. I just don’t enjoy making it. It takes several minutes and you are eagerly waiting for it to get to the right temperature. During those few minutes it feels like an eternity, and I hate moments like those.” Elysif said with a relatable aura.

“I can agree with that, when time seems to slow down it feels like forever and that isn’t the best feeling. I think Einstein said it best as time is relative. Sometimes it’s relatively slow.” I said, hoping to further the conversation.

She gave me an odd look before asking, ”Who’s Einstein?”

Oh right, he is probably only a child at this time. I should have thought about that. “He is a famous physicist in the future. You wouldn’t know of him, sorry.” I said. Why did I keep forgetting that no one is going to understand my references?

“Scott did say you’re from the future, I don’t believe him but he never lies. At least not since I’ve known him. Are you really from the future?” Elysif said as if she was thinking back.

“Yes, I just woke up in this time period.” I said, throwing my hands up in an I don’t know gesture.

“Could it be magic that sent you here?” Elysif asked.

“I don’t know, maybe but I don’t know much about it.” I replied. There really was no way for me to know at the moment.

“Could you describe the experience?” Elysif said in a professional doctor's fashion.

“I went to sleep and the next thing I know I woke up in 1888.” I said. I don’t know what else to tell her.

“Well, then do you mind if I cut you open and see if I can figure out what sent you here?” Elysif asked with a look that I could only describe as pure desire. Did she want to cut me open? I really hope not.

I gave her a dumbfounded look as if I had just heard someone tell me they were God. “what? No. Are you crazy?” I said blatantly.

“That's not a very nice thing to call a lady.” she said almost taken back.

“Hey, I am gonna call whoever I want whatever I want because it doesn’t matter what gender you are. If you want to kill someone just to figure out something then you’re crazy.” I yelled, standing up. She lowered her head into her hands as she sat in her chair. Oh, no is she crying. I could hear her crying through her hands. Shit. I just met this girl and I already made her cry even after she just saved my life. “Hey, look I didn’t mean to sound so aggressive.” I started to say but then she raised her head from her hands and she was laughing like a madwoman. She wasn’t crying damn it, she was actually crazy.

“You are an odd one. No man in this time period would act that way. Even Scott who is as callous as they come treats women differently than men. You on the other hand are the same to both with no difference between the two. You didn’t even care that a woman was the one doctoring you up.” She said as she finally calmed down.

“Why would I care? In the future it doesn’t matter who you are, people are people and you treat them all the same.” I said.

“Ah, I wish I could live in your timeline. What year did you come from again?” She asked.

“Early 2020.” I answered.

“Well that sucks. I’ll be dead by then. Are you sure you don’t want to try an experiment to send us both to your timeline? All it would take is me looking at what's inside you.” Elysif asked as if she were pleading in a roundabout way.

“I am sure.” I said. Scott, please come pick me up, this woman is scary.

15